HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
I heard the same rumour. I heard that Westjet Encore was setting up both a route to Toronto as well as a route to Boston or New York. Fingers Crossed! perhaps its the same rumour you heard?
Bit of a stretch considering all of the latest Westjet route announcements have been for Winter/Spring 2016 starts. Even the new Toronto-Boston / Halifax-Boston Encore service isn't scheduled to begin until March/April 2016.

As much as I'd love to see something happen sooner, any new route announcements at this time wouldn't start up for a while.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 3:46 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Wow, that would be great, if not a bit surprising! If Moncton couldn't support the US flight not sure how SJ will!
I was under the impression that the US flight out of Moncton being cancelled had less to do with poor ridership and more to do with the logistics of flying and moving planes around. IIRC the flight sold relatively well.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 11:53 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

PASCAN Aviation has Filed for Creditor Protection
(CBC)

Pascan Aviation, a regional airline that served communities such as Bathurst, has filed for creditor protection.

Pascan Aviation says it will honour reservations and tickets as it restructures its business in parts of Quebec and Atlantic Canada.

It says the Business Development Bank of Canada and Investissement Quebec are providing a total of $1 million in financial support while Pascan operates under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act.

"The CCAA proceedings will, among other things, provide the Pascan companies with the time and stability to restructure its business, negotiate a restructuring plan with stakeholders, compromise creditor claims, restructure material operating contracts, secure new financing, and otherwise consider restructuring and refinancing options," the company said in a statement.

Pascan provides service with several small turboprop aircraft to the Bathurst airport as well as airports in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Wabush, Ottawa and a number in Quebec.

Personal note - I'm not surprised. I've viewed PASCAN as a fly-by-night organization (pun intended) ever since their abortive attempt at establishing a route between Moncton and St. John's. There was no capitalization behind that attempt, and the route folded within the month, before even a lot of potential users had a chance to try it out! You don't run an airline like that.........

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 1:31 PM

They have pulled out of Bathurst when most of Wabush projects shut down, they had an iles de la madeleines and Quebec city flight but i found the price was just too expensive. I dont know why but they have failed at most of the airports out of the province of quebec.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
PASCAN Aviation has Filed for Creditor Protection
(CBC)

Pascan Aviation, a regional airline that served communities such as Bathurst, has filed for creditor protection.

Pascan Aviation says it will honour reservations and tickets as it restructures its business in parts of Quebec and Atlantic Canada.

It says the Business Development Bank of Canada and Investissement Quebec are providing a total of $1 million in financial support while Pascan operates under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act.

"The CCAA proceedings will, among other things, provide the Pascan companies with the time and stability to restructure its business, negotiate a restructuring plan with stakeholders, compromise creditor claims, restructure material operating contracts, secure new financing, and otherwise consider restructuring and refinancing options," the company said in a statement.

Pascan provides service with several small turboprop aircraft to the Bathurst airport as well as airports in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Wabush, Ottawa and a number in Quebec.

Personal note - I'm not surprised. I've viewed PASCAN as a fly-by-night organization (pun intended) ever since their abortive attempt at establishing a route between Moncton and St. John's. There was no capitalization behind that attempt, and the route folded within the month, before even a lot of potential users had a chance to try it out! You don't run an airline like that.........
The Bathurst airport was doing very well in the past couple of years mostly because of migrant workers flying out West and to Labrador. With all the layoffs in Alberta and the struggling economy in Wabush, and now this news from Pascan, this must be very worrisome for the airport.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 2:45 PM

Canjet suspended operations. Not that it really mattered anymore.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 3:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the new WestJet route between St. John's International Airport and London (Gatwick).

This will be WestJet's second international route out of St. John's, after the Dublin route they inaugurated last year........

Gatwick might be an attractive alternative to Heathrow. It is less busy and offers connections to European low cost carriers (which tend to use Gatwick preferentially over Heathrow).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 1:27 AM

I was going to post this but it was a busy day. My feedback on this is that its good for Canada and Atlantic Canada, But I wish we had more direct flight options in Moncton rather than having to connect through Halifax, Toronto. Montreal or Ottawa. I hope that Porter or Westjet encore will add direct flights to Saint John's and a US destination.

What pains me out of Moncton is that Lobster can travel further non-stop rather than a human. That's my rant for the day!!

Quote:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the new WestJet route between St. John's International Airport and London (Gatwick).

This will be WestJet's second international route out of St. John's, after the Dublin route they inaugurated last year........

Gatwick might be an attractive alternative to Heathrow. It is less busy and offers connections to European low cost carriers (which tend to use Gatwick preferentially over Heathrow).

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 1:11 PM

Sunwing adds Saint John to Orlando flights

SOURCE: Sunwing Vacations

Sunwing Vacations

October 09, 2015 13:36 ET

Sunwing Vacations' New USA Brochure Is Now Available

TORONTO, ON--(Marketwired - October 09, 2015) - Packed with vacation inspiration on how to explore the best this country has to offer, vacationers can choose between a range of customized packages that will allow them to experience the best of Florida or Las Vegas. Or they could choose a tailor-made itinerary and tour some of America’s most iconic American cities -- including New York, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Antonio, New Orleans, Washington DC, Chicago, Phoenix or San Diego. Or head even further afield to discover the beaches, surf and smoldering volcanoes of Hawaii.

In Florida, vacationers can reach three of the region’s most popular holiday hotspots -- Orlando, St Pete/Clearwater and Fort Lauderdale -- with direct flights on award-winning Sunwing Airlines from 10 different gateways (including Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, Gander, Deer Lake and Moncton). Weekly services from Winnipeg to Fort Lauderdale and St John, New Brunswick to Orlando are both new connections for this season.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 2:30 PM

Did some digging on the Sunwing website. Looks like the YSJ-Orlando flights will be once a week on Mondays, starting February 15, 2016. Flights don't appear to be loaded yet, but the information when you search a full vacation package gives the following flight times from Saint John:

Departs YSJ Mondays @ 6:00am, arriving in Orlando at 8:45am
Return flight departs Orlando @ 10:00am, arriving in YSJ at 2:20pm

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:29 PM

New direct flight from St. John's to Orlando coming soon

It looks like this wasn't mentioned here.
There will be a new airline offering direct flights between St. John's and Orlando

Quote:
Good news for travellers heading to the sunshine state of Florida from Newfoundland and Labrador.

National Airlines will be offering a new non-stop flight from St. John's International Airport to Orlando Sanford International Airport in Florida starting January 2016.

Introductory one-way fares from St. John's YYT start at $229. National is promising its passengers reserved seating, an in-flight meal and a checked bag at no extra charge.

The airline said its service focuses on giving the traveller a comfortable experience at a great price.

"We think travellers will agree. Just give us the opportunity to introduce you to our 'Inclusive Fares, Exclusive Service,' approach to air travel," National's Manager of Network Planning and Strategy Dennis Daley said in a statement.

National will also be offering flights from Windsor, Vancouver, Las Vegas and San Juan. They have partnered with Tourico Holidays to offer customers a one stop shopping experience when booking vacation packages.

The company is based out of Orlando and has been transporting people and cargo for more than 20 years. It says its diverse charter operations make this extension of service a good fit for the company.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...line-1.3260298

Also, it looks like Westjet is adding another weekly flight from St. John's to Orlando

Quote:
WestJet announced it will double its schedule of weekly flights between St. John's and Orlando, effective January 2016. The airline will add another flight to Orlando each week, on top of the one flight announced earlier this year.
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...534726991.html

it's great to see an increase in international flights from YYT

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
It looks like this wasn't mentioned here.
There will be a new airline offering direct flights between St. John's and Orlando

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...line-1.3260298
They have the flights on their website now if you want to book. The downside is the flights only go out on Monday and Thursday. Which I guess isn't that bad, considering WJ also only does two days a week. At least these are two different days of the week. Direct flights are always a good thing!

Edit: I just booked flights for March from St. John's to Orlando. $500 return, not bad at all!

Last edited by J_Murphy; Oct 28, 2015 at 11:39 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 3:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Winter Destination Schedule (2015-16) from the GMIA:

http://www.cyqm.ca/site/media/gmia/2...02015-2016.pdf

WestJet - Orlando, Cancun
Air Transat - Orlando, Cancun, Varadero, Punta Cana
Sunwing - Orlando, Cancun, Varadaro, Punta Cana, Cayo Coco, Montego Bay
Celebrity Cruises - Miami

or, to look at it another way:

Florida (Orlando) - WestJet, Air Transat, Sunwing
Florida (Miami) - Celebrity Cruises
Cuba (Varadero) - Air Transat, Sunwing
Cuba (Cayo Coco) - Sunwing
Dominican Republic (Punta Cana) - Air Transat, Sunwing
Jamaica (Montego Bay) - Sunwing
Mexico (Cancun) - WestJet, Air Transat, Sunwing

Some of these services have seasons so long, that it borders on a permanent service rather than a seasonal one. The WestJet service to Cancun extends from October 31st to April 30th. That's a full six months!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Winter Destination Schedule (2015-16) from the GMIA:

http://www.cyqm.ca/site/media/gmia/2...02015-2016.pdf

WestJet - Orlando, Cancun
Air Transat - Orlando, Cancun, Varadero, Punta Cana
Sunwing - Orlando, Cancun, Varadaro, Punta Cana, Cayo Coco, Montego Bay
Celebrity Cruises - Miami

or, to look at it another way:

Florida (Orlando) - WestJet, Air Transat, Sunwing
Florida (Miami) - Celebrity Cruises
Cuba (Varadero) - Air Transat, Sunwing
Cuba (Cayo Coco) - Sunwing
Dominican Republic (Punta Cana) - Air Transat, Sunwing
Jamaica (Montego Bay) - Sunwing
Mexico (Cancun) - WestJet, Air Transat, Sunwing

Some of these services have seasons so long, that it borders on a permanent service rather than a seasonal one. The WestJet service to Cancun extends from October 31st to April 30th. That's a full six months!
Those have been there forever and wish there was some more but can't complain but I think the best addition that has been added is the all inclusive cruise by Celebrity I know a few people that have done it and they tell me its worth it.

But I wish out of Moncton we would have our direct airlink to the USA back preferably with American or Delta.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 4:07 AM

Hey guys I will be flying out of Halifax to go to Myrtle beach on Delta I am wondering how easy is it to fly out of there and how does the USA pre-clear work? Can someone shed light on this.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 4:10 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
Hey guys I will be flying out of Halifax to go to Myrtle beach on Delta I am wondering how easy is it to fly out of there and how does the USA pre-clear work? Can someone shed light on this.
It's pretty simple. Just keep in mind that there is a separate US check-in on the second level of the airport. Don't go to the main check-in on the arrivals level. Thats for domestic and international departures.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 4:40 AM

Just follow this sign:

It's the north end of the terminal:

As MonctonRad says the USA check-in is on the second level. Once you check-in there is security then you will be processed by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. It's very easy just leave lots of time.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:53 PM

Looks like Charlottetown is getting "rouged" by Air Canada, replacing Air Canada Express service to Toronto during the summer months. Means frequency will be reduced to 2 flights daily (I believe there are normally 4 flights daily to YYZ during the summer), but higher capacity as its operated with a 124 seat A319 aircraft instead of the smaller 50 seat CRJ.

Quote:
Air Canada rouge Adds Charlottetown Service from May 2016
Air Canada rouge in summer 2016 season is expanding domestic network to Prince Edward Island, offering twice daily operation on Toronto – Charlottetown route. Airbus A319 will be operating this route from 02MAY16 to 23OCT16.

AC1744 YYZ0850 – 1150YYG 319 D
AC1746 YYZ2055 – 2355YYG 319 D

AC1747 YYG0600 – 0700YYZ 319 D
AC1745 YYG1230 – 1345YYZ 319 D

rouge in summer 2016 season will replace Air Canada Express on this market.

http://airlineroute.net/2015/12/04/zx-yyzyyg-may16/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That's not really a good thing.

1)- decreased frequency equals more difficult connections at Pearson
2)- the "pitch" between the seating rows is really tight with Rouge. I got "Rouged" a couple of years back on a flight from Toronto to San Diego. I was damn near crippled by the time I got off the plane!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 7:51 PM

Quote:

That's not really a good thing.

1)- decreased frequency equals more difficult connections at Pearson
2)- the "pitch" between the seating rows is really tight with Rouge. I got "Rouged" a couple of years back on a flight from Toronto to San Diego. I was damn near crippled by the time I got off the plane!
OUCH! Toronto to San Diego is a long flight too. Hope you had a good time in San Diego. Was it the same equipment back?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces