HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 13, 2011, 8:43 PM

i don't know how the basketball circuit is in quebec(province), never hear anything from the sport on the news except for the NBA

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 10:19 PM

Just catching up on some news articles and it appears that Charlottetown is in the running but unlikely for this year. The Japanese group interested in Moncton decided Kitchener was a better market but ultimately did not invest in the league.

Looks like it will be 5-6 teams.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 12:06 PM

Makeup of NBL to be unveiled today

By MONTY MOSHER Sports Reporter
Thu, Jun 16 - 4:54 AM

The basic shape of the new National Basketball League of Canada should be known today.

Andre Levingston, owner of the Halifax Rainmen and acting president of the NBL, spent Wednesday thrashing over details with a number of prospective teams facing a midnight deadline for new ownership groups to step forward in time for 2011-12.

Levingston confirmed that Moncton, Charlottetown, and Barrie, Ont., were among possible destinations for the minor pro league.

"We’re still working and today is the last day," Levingston said Wednesday evening. "We’ve been getting calls and teams are putting their best foot forward.

"We’re in negotiations with P.E.I., we’re in negotiations with Moncton. Barrie had submitted their letter of intent and then we thought they were off the table because we were unable to reach an agreement. But the (Barrie) mayor has called a meeting to have another look at it."

The NBL will feature the Rainmen, the Saint John Millrats and the Quebec Kebs, all former members of the Premier Basketball League. All three left the PBL in April.

Three Ontario centres — Oshawa, Kingston and London — have already submitted deposit cheques.

Levingston said he’s "optimistic" the league will feature more teams than the six already announced.

"I think we’ll have 7-9 teams possibly," he said. "That’s me being extremely optimistic."

He said Wednesday’s deadline is the start of something and not the finish line.

"The teams that submit their letter of intent with their deposit will still have due diligence to do, as we do and we’ve been here five years now. We’re in negotiations with our venue and all these teams have to secure a good lease agreement in order to be even approved by the league."

Levingston said adding two Maritime clubs would be a big plus.

"We don’t want to say they are close to being in or out, but these are two cities very excited about the opportunity and we’re excited, too. Hopefully we can get both of these markets in the league."

The NBL season will run from October to March.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 2:12 PM

I know this is supposed to be a Canadian League, but I think it would be good to have a New England league to play against for some sort of final. Perhaps a team in Lewiston, Maine (now that there is no hockey), Hartford, Providence, Manchester, Worcester, Boston, New York (or any of the 1,000,000 suburbs of it) etc. It could be called the NBL, but have the Canadian League and the American League. You could have pre-season intra-league play and an allstar game Canada vs USA and have the league champs from both leagues play each other for the World Basketball Championship or something.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 3:00 PM

The roster of teams has been announced and it is an impressive list. 4 Teams from Ontario Barrie, Kingston, Oshawa, and London will form one divsion.

The Atlantic division will feature Charlottetown, Halifax, Saint John, and Quebec.

Things are shaping up to be a very exciting first year in the NBL!

I am not sure that Charlottetown can support a team so I could definitely see that team relocate to Fredericton next year.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
The roster of teams has been announced and it is an impressive list. 4 Teams from Ontario Barrie, Kingston, Oshawa, and London will form one divsion.

The Atlantic division will feature Charlottetown, Halifax, Saint John, and Quebec.

Things are shaping up to be a very exciting first year in the NBL!

I am not sure that Charlottetown can support a team so I could definitely see that team relocate to Fredericton next year.
Where did you get your info. Cause on the league website under teams it says:
Founding Teams
Halifax Rainmen NS
Quebec Kebs QC
Saint John Mill Rats NB
Pending Teams
Moncton NB
London ON
Oshawa ON
Kingston ON
Barrie ON

Also Charlottetown would never be able to support this. They can hardly support the PEI Rocket.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 10:31 AM

8 teams to tip off in NBL

By MONTY MOSHER Sports Reporter
Fri, Jun 17 - 4:54 AM
It looks like the National Basketball League of Canada will be an eight-team circuit in its inaugural season.

Andre Levingston, owner of the Halifax Rainmen and interim president of the new league, said five locales on top of the three former Premier Basketball League franchises have submitted letters of intent and deposits to participate in the minor pro league when it begins in October.

Four Ontario communities — Barrie, Kingston, Oshawa and London — and P.E.I. will now move on the next stage of becoming full members.

"I am so thrilled at the level of interest we are receiving," Levingston said Thursday in a release. "Players and fans across the country are getting really excited about this new national league that is growing the sport in Canada."

Halifax, Saint John and Quebec are the ex-PBL franchises which withdrew from the league at the end of the season in April. Kingston, Oshawa and London had made their intentions known prior to the deadline on Wednesday.

Levingston spent Wednesday working with a number of prospects in advance of the deadline. P.E.I. and Barrie were the products of those efforts.

The five new franchises will take part in an approval process. All clubs need to finalize lease agreements before they will be admitted.

An ownership meeting is scheduled to take place in Toronto on June 29 to make plans for the season.

( mmosher@herald.ca)

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Where did you get your info. Cause on the league website under teams it says:
Founding Teams
Halifax Rainmen NS
Quebec Kebs QC
Saint John Mill Rats NB
Pending Teams
Moncton NB
London ON
Oshawa ON
Kingston ON
Barrie ON

Also Charlottetown would never be able to support this. They can hardly support the PEI Rocket.

From the link provided which proves to be accurate.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 4:31 PM

NBL Canada finalizes league rules

More about National Basketball League
Canadian basketball league taking shape
NBL Canada explores options for eight-team circuit
No late interest from potential NBL owners
NBL Canada taking shape
MATTHEW WUEST
METRO HALIFAX

The National Basketball League of Canada has finalized some important rules and dates for its inaugural season.

The new league, which hopes to feature seven teams including the founding Halifax Rainmen, Saint John Mill Rats and Quebec Kebs, held its first owners’ meeting on Wednesday in Toronto.

The league will have a 36-game schedule and follow International Basketball Federation (FIBA) rules. Rosters must feature a minimum 10 players and a maximum of 12, while each team must have a minimum of two Canadian players.

The salary cap will be $150,000.

The NBL Canada draft will be held on Aug. 21 and feature a round exclusively for Canadians.

Training camps start on Oct. 1 and though a schedule is still in the works, the pre-season will begin in mid-October with the regular season tipping off later in the month or in early November.

“That was the best meeting I have ever been involved with in professional basketball,” said Rainmen owner and interim league president Andre Levingston. “We got a lot accomplished.”

The league will spend the next few weeks finalizing lease agreements and securing franchise fees.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 2:22 PM

Looks like Moncton is back on the table for a potential NBL team.

As much as that is good news for NB, it is not good news for the NBL. They have now lost both Barrie and Kingston from the league. It is going to be even tougher for the Ontario teams to survive now that there are just two of them.

It will also make National sponsorship much more difficult since there will be little interest in Maritime teams playing each other from the rest of the country.

I remain hopeful, but things are not looking good. The NBL executive appear quite short sighted.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 3:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Where is this information from? Is there an actual interested party in Moncton now?

I agree that we need to have more interest in central Canada to have a truly viable Canadian basketball league.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Where is this information from? Is there an actual interested party in Moncton now?

I agree that we need to have more interest in central Canada to have a truly viable Canadian basketball league.

Apparently the group which had planned to bring a team to Kingston could not reach an agreement with the city of Kingston and the league pointed the towards Moncton. This was leaked by the league on Thursday. They also said to expect an announcement on Thursday.

If things with Moncton do not work out, the league is down to six teams with one being located in PEI which is apparently deciding between Summerside and Charlottetown.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 4:06 PM

Draft dates and info

Apparently Monctons in...

Rainmen to pick sixth in inaugural NBL draft

By BRIAN FREEMAN Sports Reporter
Tue, Jul 12 - 4:54 AM

The Halifax Rainmen will pick sixth in the inaugural National Basketball League of Canada players draft on Aug. 21 at the Rogers Centre in Toronto.

The order of the draft was determined at the league’s first owners meeting on June 29 in Toronto. Oshawa will choose first, followed by Charlottetown, London and Moncton, the NBL announced Monday in a release.

The Saint John Mill Rats will pick fifth, the Rainmen sixth and the Quebec Kebs seventh. The Rats, Rainmen and Kebs, founding franchises that left the Premier Basketball League in April, are picking in the reverse order of their finish last season in the PBL regular-season standings.

The draft will be preceded by a two-day tryout combine Aug. 20-21 at the Seneca College Sports Centre in Toronto, with the first day for free agents and the second for Canadians.

NBL teams have to carry at least two Canadians on their roster.

"The NBL Canada pre-draft combine and draft will be groundbreaking for the country," NBL interim president Andre Levingston, owner of the Rainmen, said in the release.

"The events will mark a new beginning of Canadian basketball talent, and will inspire and encourage the next generation of young Canadian athletes. We’re excited that young Canadians can now dream about being a basketball player in their own country."

The evening draft will consist of three rounds, with the first open for free-agent players and the second and third rounds limited to Canadians. Players have to attend the combine to be eligible for the draft.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 4:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting news........

There has been nothing in the local Moncton media that I am aware of.

They will have to find another 3-4 central Canadian teams for season two to balance the schedule and promote local interest or else London and Oshawa will quickly fold.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Interesting news........

There has been nothing in the local Moncton media that I am aware of.

They will have to find another 3-4 central Canadian teams for season two to balance the schedule and promote local interest or else London and Oshawa will quickly fold.

Things are getting a little strange with the NBL. They have announced a draft order that lists seven teams yet there is still officially only three teams in the league. Out of the blue, the group in Kingston pulled out and was apparently being directed towards Moncton and an announcement was imminent. Two weeks later and not a peep, yet they are apparently in the draft.

I am trying to be optimistic but this league not even getting off the ground seems like a pretty realistic outcome at this point.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 9:03 PM

I doubt this league will even get off the ground, never mind threw its first season.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 2:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Abridged from today's T&T
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...rticle/1426120

Metro's pro hoop squad draws closer
Published Saturday July 23rd, 2011

Moncton expected to officially join circuit in matter of weeks
By Sean Hatchard
Times & Transcript staff

The drive to bring professional basketball to Moncton is nearly complete.

Moncton City Council approved a memorandum of understanding between an out-of-town ownership group and the city on a three-year contract for use of the Moncton Coliseum this week, one of the final steps before a Moncton franchise is accepted into the fledgling National Basketball League of Canada.

League president Andre Levingston said last night he expects it's just a matter of weeks before Moncton is officially added to the circuit.

"We still have some due diligence to do from a league standpoint with the ownership group and the facility in Moncton, but everything is headed in the right direction," Levingston said.

"Everything looks very positive. We're very confident there will be professional basketball in Moncton this year. In the next couple weeks we should have everything we need to approve the franchise and be ready for an announcement."

The ownership group, which is bringing the franchise to Moncton but does not wish to be identified yet, was originally looking to put a team in Kingston, Ont,. but stopped negotiations with that city and suddenly turned its attention to Moncton and began talks to reach an agreement for use of the city-owned Coliseum.

Levingston, who is also the owner and president of the league's Halifax Rainmen, said he is very confident of the Moncton ownership group.

"One hundred per cent. This is a group that we were excited about from Day 1," he said. "We were looking for this group to put a team in Kingston as everyone knows. That fell through, but we're excited about professional basketball being played in Moncton and we're excited about the team that is leading it."

Canada's first national professional basketball league expects to have seven teams in its inaugural season. There's Halifax, Saint John Mill Rats, Quebec Kebs, Moncton, Charlottetown, London, Ont., and Oshawa, Ont.

The league is set to tip off in November with a 36-game regular season schedule, with playoffs in March.

(Ian) Fowler said a portion of the ownership group will arrive in Moncton next week to begin operations process of the team. He hopes to have a news conference to introduce the owners and the team to the city next month.

"I've been impressed with A their business background, B their ties to basketball and probably most impressive, their philosophy as it relates to developing a team and becoming part of the community," Fowler said.

"Their prime purpose coming next week is to start to meet local people who could potentially play various roles with the team. Other than the coaching staff, they're looking to fill front office jobs to a dance team choreographer to a coaching clinic coordinator to game-day staff, all from the community."

"When you look at the minor basketball programs here in the southeast - from Petitcodiac through to Amherst - to the school programs, the sport has strong roots. If a team reaches into the community and does what is happening in Saint John and Halifax, then I believe we'll have a successful franchise."

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 9:23 PM
Our Tide is Rising

They have been happily proclaiming on news 91.9 all day today that we are getting a "pro" basketball team in Moncton...

Still not sure how I feel about this league coming to Moncton...seems kinda like a fly-by-night operation from what Ive heard so far...but I'm not very well informed on the subject so I could be wrong.

In any event I hope it is a success and becomes a nation-wide league...would only make for more of a push in Moncton for a new arena!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
They have been happily proclaiming on news 91.9 all day today that we are getting a "pro" basketball team in Moncton...

Still not sure how I feel about this league coming to Moncton...seems kinda like a fly-by-night operation from what Ive heard so far...but I'm not very well informed on the subject so I could be wrong.

In any event I hope it is a success and becomes a nation-wide league...would only make for more of a push in Moncton for a new arena!
I think your instincts are correct on this. I was optimistic out of the gate but with time dwindling it does not look like this league is going to be able to pull it off. The league also has the tendency to send out these very vague press releases making announcements on things to come and then never follows it up. Very "bush league".

Obviously to have any real success on a National level they needed to win the Ontario market where they have failed to gain much traction. As of right now, officially there is still just the original three teams.

It appears it will be close to the end of August before any of the new teams get up and running which gives them one month to prepare for the start of games. Charlottetown has been ruled out in favor of Summerside which seems like it has almost no chance of being successful.

At this point I could realistically see Moncton being the only team that joins the league. Hope I am wrong and the league does well.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 4:57 PM
Our Tide is Rising

well based on your review im even more concerned about this team...id rather not have a team than have a cruddy team in a cruddy league...

as far as summerside goes all i have to say is HAHAHA if this league wants any cred on a national level they need to focus on markets SJ size and up...im in 'bummerside' as i speak for work and in my eyes its a glorified town at best!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces