HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 3:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Abridged from today's T&t

Pro Basketball Moving Closer in Moncton

Training camp will begin in early October

by neil hodge
Times & transcript staff

Moncton will have the fourth overall pick in the 2011 National Basketball League of Canada draft, a three-round event which takes place on Aug. 21 in Toronto.

The first round of the draft is for free agent players only. The second and third rounds are designated strictly for Canadian players age 18 and over.

"Each team must have a minimum of two Canadians on their roster. Only those players who attend the league combine will be eligible for the draft."

The Saint John Mill Rats, Halifax Rainmen and Quebec Kebs left the Premier Basketball League after the 2011 season. The owners of those franchises found new markets and in May announced the creation of the NBL of Canada.

The new league will have seven teams in its inaugural season with new franchises in Moncton, Charlottetown, Oshawa, Ont. and London, Ont.

Oshawa owns the first overall pick in the 2011 draft, followed by Charlottetown at No. 2, London at No. 3, Moncton at No. 4, Saint John at No. 5, Halifax at No. 6 and Quebec at No. 7.

Each team will have 10-12 players and a $150,000 salary cap for the season. Teams will acquire three players in the draft and then round out their roster by landing (non protected players from existing franchises) and free agents from anywhere in the world.

The established franchises in Saint John, Halifax and Quebec are each allowed to protect five players who were on their roster last season in the PBL.

Moncton will play a 36-game regular season, something that features six contests against each opponent. The league expects to announce its regular season schedule this week.

Training camps will begin in early October. The league's regular season will open in late October in some markets and early November in others. The top four clubs will make the playoffs and the champion will be determined by mid March.

Moncton's franchise has a deal in place for use of the Moncton Coliseum. The building now has co major tenants with the professional basketball team and Moncton Wildcats of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

"Things went really well in Moncton with city council unanimously approving the building deal for the team," said Levingston. "The stars are definitely lined up in Moncton and you're going to see professional basketball there this season."

Moncton's owner, team name, jersey colours and logo, head coach, general manager and ticketing details haven't yet been unveiled. The franchise and the city are currently working on a plan to introduce the team and generate exposure in the community.

The head coach will be announced in the next couple of weeks prior to the draft. It could be that most of the other details will be announced in a news conference later this month after the draft.

Halifax has had a professional basketball team the past four years and it averaged 4,000 fans per game in the 2011 season. Saint John is coming off a successful first season with an average of 3,700 fans per game.

Teams in Canada's first professional basketball league will have an annual operating budget of $500,000 to $750,000. Levingston said that teams will need to average approximately 2,000 fans per game combined with other revenue streams such as sponsorship.

Levingston pointed out that he's already received inquiries from other cities that may be interested in joining the league for its second season.

Personal note - let's hope these inquires are serious. The league desperately needs at least 3-4 additional central Canadian franchises to make a go of it. The main priority now is just to survive the first season.....

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 3:39 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I take it these guys all have to hold down full time jobs as well? A 150,000$ cap for 10-12 players isn't a big pie to split around, and travelling to 16 games a year won't be cheap, even if a lot of games are fairly close by.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I take it these guys all have to hold down full time jobs as well? A 150,000$ cap for 10-12 players isn't a big pie to split around, and travelling to 16 games a year won't be cheap, even if a lot of games are fairly close by.
Most of these guys make it a go based on their basketball skills. When they leave our Winter league they find a summer league in the US or some other country to continue to pay the bills. At this point, it is mostly still about the dream for these guys. Not so much the NBA, but getting a six figure European league contract. The talent that was in the league last year was VERY good. The Saint John team had Mike Anderson who was UNB's best player from the last few years and he was completely and totally over matched to the point they couldn't put him on the floor. Most of these guys all played Division I ball at major US schools.

I am a bit skeptical that this league will draw the same talent level but with the NBA lockout, the quality actually may improve as a result of less jobs in other leagues.

The two Ontario teams are now officially in the league. PEI and Moncton continue to negotiate although both look imminent. If they can get the seven they should survive the first year, but only time will tell.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Most of these guys make it a go based on their basketball skills. When they leave our Winter league they find a summer league in the US or some other country to continue to pay the bills. At this point, it is mostly still about the dream for these guys. Not so much the NBA, but getting a six figure European league contract. The talent that was in the league last year was VERY good. The Saint John team had Mike Anderson who was UNB's best player from the last few years and he was completely and totally over matched to the point they couldn't put him on the floor. Most of these guys all played Division I ball at major US schools.

I am a bit skeptical that this league will draw the same talent level but with the NBA lockout, the quality actually may improve as a result of less jobs in other leagues.

The two Ontario teams are now officially in the league. PEI and Moncton continue to negotiate although both look imminent. If they can get the seven they should survive the first year, but only time will tell.
P.E.I. is in officially.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/1257499.html

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Cool! I am traveling and missed that one. Once Moncton confirms the league will have seven teams. I will admit I was a bit skeptical they would get to this stage. The draft is a week from Saturday so hopefully Moncton can finalize quickly.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 8:42 PM

I am so hoping this is going to happen, a CHL team and a pro basketball team...in a city the size of Moncton...wow!

Bring it...I'll go to a few games for sure!

JL

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
I am so hoping this is going to happen, a CHL team and a pro basketball team...in a city the size of Moncton...wow!

Bring it...I'll go to a few games for sure!

JL
It is official! SJ, PEI, Halifax, Oshawa, London, and Quebec are all officially part of the league now. Funny enough all seven cities now have a CHL team and a semi-pro basketball team.

Good luck to the NBL of Canada and most importantly the two NB teams.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
It is official! SJ, PEI, Halifax, Oshawa, London, and Quebec are all officially part of the league now. Funny enough all seven cities now have a CHL team and a semi-pro basketball team.

Good luck to the NBL of Canada and most importantly the two NB teams.
Not quite....The PEI NBL team is in Summerside....not Charlottetown.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 11:17 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

According to the CBC, Moncton has been confirmed as well.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
According to the CBC, Moncton has been confirmed as well.
That is right, all seven teams are confirmed. A week prior to the draft makes one a little nervous, but here is hoping.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 1:17 AM

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Wow! (that's seriously cool)

and the 'Moncton Times'

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...1367,moderated

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 7:01 PM

Schedule has been released on the league website. Tickets available for some teams.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 12:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Abridged article from today's T&T
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...rticle/1433528

Moncton Miracles to join pro hoops league
Published Saturday August 20th, 2011

Professional basketball team begins play in late October
By NEIL HODGE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The city's new professional sports franchise will be called the Moncton Miracles, the Times & Transcript has learned.

Moncton is a member of the National Basketball League of Canada, a seven-team circuit that will begin its inaugural season in late October. Other franchises are Saint John, Halifax, Summerside, Quebec City, London, Ont., and Oshawa, Ont.

A news conference is scheduled for Tuesday to announce Moncton's team name, colours and logo and to introduce head coach and general manager Norris Bell. Owner Steven Conville couldn't be reached for comment.

The 'Moncton Miracle' is a term that's commonly used to describe the city's impressive rebound from recession in the mid-1980s to a thriving economy today. Moncton is the fastest growing urban centre in Atlantic Canada, the 10th fastest (6th actually ) growing Census Metropolitan Area in Canada and it's known as the retail hub of the Maritimes.

Moncton has also established itself as the entertainment capital of Atlantic Canada by hosting numerous high-profile sporting events and mega concerts. Moncton's pro basketball team is being called the Miracles because of the historical significance as it relates to the city's economic rebirth.

The Miracles will begin the 36-game regular season on the road against Quebec on Oct. 29. Their first five outings are in opposition buildings and their home opener is versus Saint John on Nov. 20 at the Coliseum.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
and it's known as the retail hub of the Maritimes.

Moncton has also established itself as the entertainment capital of Atlantic Canada by hosting numerous high-profile sporting events and mega concerts.
What a bunch of B.S.

Sorry couldn't let the trolls at the T&T get away with that one.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 12:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
What a bunch of B.S.

Sorry couldn't let the trolls at the T&T get away with that one.
I thought being a "troll" meant making unnecessarily derogatory or inflammatory comments about others...........

The T&T didn't do that here, although I do detect a whiff of hyperbole, but that's usually acceptable when dealing with an article about a sports team.

It's amusing listening to the (routinely) pro-Halifax ATV News talk about the Mooseheads and the recently drafted Nathan MacKinnon. They have had a number of pieces dealing with him over the course of the last several weeks and you would think that they were talking about the second coming of JC himself (or at least Sydney Crosby) .

The T&T is not the only news outlet in the region that can be accused of boosterism and hucksterism.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Aug 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 1:15 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I thought being a "troll" meant making unnecessarily derogatory or inflammatory comments about others...........
Being a troll is saying something which is both controversial and incorrect on purpose to make people upset and to argue with their point.

So, with the T&T saying that, we can all basically agree that Halifax > Moncton in most circumstances, essentially trolling the Halifax population. However, in this case, since they're being totally serious about their claims, it's just hilarious.

However, MonctonRad is correct in speaking about the Chronicle Herald & CTV. Any newspaper is going to be pro-wherever they are from, but CTV is pro-Halifax simply for obvious reasons.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 4:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I just updated the Moncton Wikipedia article with information about the Moncton Miracles.

I gave them precedence over the Moncton Wildcats just because they are a professional team and the 'Cats are major junior.....

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 10:58 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
I just updated the Moncton Wikipedia article with information about the Moncton Miracles.

I gave them precedence over the Moncton Wildcats just because they are a professional team and the 'Cats are major junior.....
Who decides that this league is "professional" anyways...because Ive seen PBL play and its nowhere near NBA level... whereas I would say the CHL plays on a very high level.

Just because the players are paid minimum wage doesn't make it "professional" in my mind...sorry but I'm still skeptical about this team and this league...

I am hoping to be proved wrong but I would hate it to become an embarrassment.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 11:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Who decides that this league is "professional" anyways...because Ive seen PBL play and its nowhere near NBA level... whereas I would say the CHL plays on a very high level.
I don't disagree, and the point has already been made on the Q League thread that major junior hockey is probably more exciting than the AHL.

Nevertheless, the Miracles are minor pro and the Wildcats are major junior and thus amateur. As such, I gave the right of primogenitor to the Miracles.

Don't worry mmmatt, the 'Cats are still first in my heart and I don't plan to give up my season ticket....

I will also take in a few Miracles games as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces