HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 11:11 PM

Also, in the highway traffic act:

Quote:
Peace officer may direct traffic
76 Where a peace officer considers it reasonably necessary
(a) to ensure the orderly movement of traffic,
(b) to prevent injury or damage to persons or property, or
(c) to permit proper action in any emergency,
the officer may direct pedestrians and vehicles or erect temporary traffic control devices and every person shall obey the officer's directions and the control devices.
http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/h060e.php#75

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 10:14 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
A Winnipeg Transit driver being hailed for giving his shoes to a barefoot man in the city's downtown earlier this week says he hopes his gesture will inspire kindness in others.

A CBS producer confirmed that Doubledee will appear on the show on Saturday along with Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz, who is already in New York.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-winnipeg.html
I'm honestly not surprised. This is just one of those "well it figures" moments. I'm sure if he wasn't in New York at the time, he would find a way to be in New York at that time.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:36 AM

katz went there before the shoe thing happened to meet with credit rating agencies, don't know what your trying to get at here

"I feel like I've been living in a city with no children in it, a garden left for ruin by a millionaire inside of a private prison"

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:38 AM
I am a typical

Maybe one of the credit rating agencies is in the audience.

"Shout out to my municipality's creditors yo!" -Sam Katz

I am sorry I know he is such a victim omg.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:53 AM

i don't mind katz the businessman but not a fan of katz the politician, but i get sick and tired of people who constantly spew anti-katz stuff that is completely unrelated to his political decisions

"I feel like I've been living in a city with no children in it, a garden left for ruin by a millionaire inside of a private prison"

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 8:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

he should go back to runing his ball team

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:41 PM
I am a typical

How can he give his friends fire stations and administrative careers in the public sector if he is running a ball team? Think before you post!!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:49 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
i don't mind katz the businessman but not a fan of katz the politician, but i get sick and tired of people who constantly spew anti-katz stuff that is completely unrelated to his political decisions
Agreed.

It's about as dumb as the people who constantly post "fix the roads" every time there is an article mentioning a government entity spending money.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
Thank you. It is nice to hear a reasonably balanced assessment of this, and any other issue discussed on this board. There is way to much vitriol and biased bashing on this board, which detracts from the ability to have any serious discussions.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:34 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
This isn't necessarily politics, but from what I can see this is a very disgusting display of Police Brutality, if not abuse of authority.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25492443/theater
Looks like charges have been laid... against the RRC student body president.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...171113101.html

Quote:
THE Red River College Students' Association has suspended president Garrett Meisner after he was charged with assaulting a police officer at a recent Occupy demonstration.

"He has been suspended from his position and we will be reviewing it at our board meeting in November," student association vice-president external Michael Santarsieri said Monday.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 3:03 PM

That's fine. Let the situation figure itself out over court. I was thinking about what we all said regarding this, and brutality may have been an overstatement. However one thing can be sure, it is that situations like this really don't help turn the WPS slogan into reality.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 3:08 PM
BANNED

off topic, but why was this guy wearing a Fox t-shirt? not really sure where being a walking corporate ad (that probably uses labour practices that, you'd think, these people would be against) fits in with the Occupy movement.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 9:29 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
off topic, but why was this guy wearing a Fox t-shirt? not really sure where being a walking corporate ad (that probably uses labour practices that, you'd think, these people would be against) fits in with the Occupy movement.
He probably didn't realize it. I'm actually quite apathetic to this whole movement but for years have refused to wear shirts with logos on them on principle, with the only exception being my work shirts. I don't know anyone else who does anything to avoid them.

They're made in Bangladesh so it isn't like I'm being noble by doing this, I just don't want to pay someone else to advertise their shit.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 1:31 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...171306491.html

Quote:
Real estate deal scrutinized
Taxpayers federation questions management fees paid to Shindico

The City of Winnipeg's real estate division is under fire once more from the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, which questions the process that resulted in Shindico Realty earning $154,000 a year to look after five tenants in a city-owned office tower.
In 2009, the city signed a services agreement with Shindico to manage the former Canada Post building, which is being renovated into the new headquarters for the Winnipeg Police Service. Revenue from the 10-storey office-tower portion of the Graham Avenue property allowed Shindico to earn $309,000 in property-management fees in 2010 and 2011, according to city spokeswoman Michelle Bailey.
Shindico won the contract because it ranked first on a 2008 request for qualifications (RFQ) for companies capable of providing real estate services for the city, property director Barry Thorgrimson said.
Colin Craig of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, which learned of the fees through a freedom-of-information request, said the search for real estate firms did not spell out the fact the city was looking for a property manager.
"We're wondering how the city handed out property-management contracts when that didn't seem to be contemplated in the RFQ," said Craig, arguing the city search should have been explicit about what services were involved -- and should have asked for property-management rates from all interested firms.
"How does the city know market rates if it didn't go out and ask a number of firms in the industry?" he asked, claiming he has heard from five Winnipeg firms that have said they didn't have a chance to bid on the work.
Thorgrimson said he's satisfied all firms did have the opportunity to respond to the 2008 request for qualifications. According to that search, real estate work for the city "may include acting as a buyer agent, listing agent, site evaluation, due diligence and marketing of commercial properties or any other related type of work as specified by the contract administrator or designated representative."
Property management is an example of "any other related type of work," Bailey said in a statement. "Therefore a separate RFQ was not issued for property management."
Shindico was in the best position to get the work for the Canada Post building because it had assisted the city in acquiring the structure, said Bob Downs, the firm's development manager.
The city paid $29.25 million to obtain the building in 2009. According to information obtained by the CTF's Craig, Shindico earned $804,000 in commissions and other work related to the purchase....
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...171306691.html

Quote:
Cracks appearing in alliance between Katz, CAO Sheegl

his has to be the slowest, most painful story ever told at city hall.
Mayor Sam Katz on Monday pledged to have city auditor Brian Whiteside and unidentified outside consultants review the propriety of a complex deal in which the city agreed to swap two aging fire halls and undeveloped city-owned land for privately owned land on which a new fire-paramedic station was built.
"(The outside consultants) will find out what went wrong, who did wrong, what department et cetera," Katz told the Free Press.
And yet, slow is not an adequate word to describe the pace at which the mayor finally experienced his epiphany. Katz has been under pressure since early September to conduct a proper review of the transactions. Refusing to do the right thing and go outside city hall, he watched in horror as the story not only did not die, but picked up momentum. And now, after a period of painful reflection, the mayor finally pledges to do the right thing.
For those of you scoring at home, we started three weeks ago with a 'this isn't a big deal,' moved quickly to 'let's have someone internally take a look at this,' which turned into 'we're hiring someone to help our internal person dig through this' and then finally on to 'we're calling in outside consultants to get to the bottom of this.'
Katz's decision to give Whiteside the room he needs to go forth and investigate cannot be good news for Phil Sheegl, the city's chief administrative officer, who came out almost immediately when the story broke and said he was "100 per cent confident" the deal was done by the book. Understatement warning: With his decision to turn the file over to Whiteside and outside experts, it appears Katz is no longer satisfied with Sheegl's assessment....
I don't even know what to say to these stories anymore. It may be simply because I am tired, but I can't find a proper response inside of me for the negative feelings of this man. Even the council members who once followed him like lost puppies are starting to realize just how bad this situation is.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:04 PM
BANNED

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...171383511.html

live coverage of council right now. let's see if slippery Sam slithers away from the sale of Shindico's Shindlemen's sisters Scottsdale shack.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:07 PM

I was gonna go, but I am not feeling so hot right now.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 4:33 PM

Nothing has been posted on here in a while, but there really needs to be a complete overhaul at city hall.

Quote:
Deputy mayor swings axe
Wyatt proposes drastic cuts to pay for infrastructure

LOCAL
Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Deputy mayor swings axe
Wyatt proposes drastic cuts to pay for infrastructure
By: Bartley Kives
Posted: 1:00 AM | Comments: 106
46 61 REDDIT0 TUMBLR1 131 PRINT E–MAIL
WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Enlarge Image

The next phase of the transitway would be cancelled and the Arlington Bridge (below) closed.
Closing the Arlington Bridge, cancelling the next phase of rapid transit, slashing arts funding to zero and reducing snow clearing are among radical spending cuts proposed by deputy mayor Russ Wyatt to mitigate the "infrastructure crisis" he blames on the province.
On Friday, council's finance chairman announced $187 million worth of spending the city could divert into a new reserve fund that would finance road and bridge repairs. Wyatt's list of 26 cuts includes the end of city support for housing, community crisis workers, Economic Development Winnipeg and the Aboriginal Youth Strategy and the elimination of all grants to Winnipeg museums, the Assiniboine Park Conservancy and the Winnipeg Convention Centre.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...204992421.html

Cynicism aside, this kind of drastic change surely can't be legal? Something such as public consultation is in my opinion a part of a sound democratic process, and honestly the idea of removing it concerns me more than any of the other proposals. If democratic process were to be followed, there would be absolutely no chance of the public letting these ideas pass through. We may not sit on council but we have proven (through the Water Park proposal as an example) that our voices can and should be heard.

I personally believe that there are many areas that could, with relative ease, be made far more efficient - if people would just accept that we are in a tough economic situation - and help remove some of the pressure on our infrastructure deficit. It may not be politically correct to call out people specifically, but 1) Constantly blaming the Province (Sam Katz) when they too are struggling (Though I in no way believe that they are making all the right choices), and 2) Uttering threats, that will lower your constituents standard of living are the wrong ways to begin the process.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Nothing has been posted on here in a while, but there really needs to be a complete overhaul at city hall.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...204992421.html

Cynicism aside, this kind of drastic change surely can't be legal? Something such as public consultation is in my opinion a part of a sound democratic process, and honestly the idea of removing it concerns me more than any of the other proposals. If democratic process were to be followed, there would be absolutely no chance of the public letting these ideas pass through. We may not sit on council but we have proven (through the Water Park proposal as an example) that our voices can and should be heard.

I personally believe that there are many areas that could, with relative ease, be made far more efficient - if people would just accept that we are in a tough economic situation - and help remove some of the pressure on our infrastructure deficit. It may not be politically correct to call out people specifically, but 1) Constantly blaming the Province (Sam Katz) when they too are struggling (Though I in no way believe that they are making all the right choices), and 2) Uttering threats, that will lower your constituents standard of living are the wrong ways to begin the process.

It is just political grandstanding. If he was really concerned about the finances of the City, he wouldn't charge $5k worth of flowers through his expense account or try to eat every meal possible on the tax payers dime.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/council/pdfs/...Wyatt_2012.pdf

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
It is just political grandstanding. If he was really concerned about the finances of the City, he wouldn't charge $5k worth of flowers through his expense account or try to eat every meal possible on the tax payers dime.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/council/pdfs/...Wyatt_2012.pdf
I really have no doubt about his ability to squander money. There are very few people I trust to be fiscally conservative on council. The only positive to his proposal was that he actually suggested cutting the 40 000 that council members were given this year.

What I don't understand is how he thinks he is going to gain political favour by going on a very immature implied diatribe, and then threaten the public's quality of life.

The fact that only 30 percent of the population vote really shows when you see who we have in office. I was talking to people at school who said they quite literally never vote because it really has nothing to do with them!!!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 7:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
I really have no doubt about his ability to squander money. There are very few people I trust to be fiscally conservative on council. The only positive to his proposal was that he actually suggested cutting the 40 000 that council members were given this year.

What I don't understand is how he thinks he is going to gain political favour by going on a very immature implied diatribe, and then threaten the public's quality of life.

The fact that only 30 percent of the population vote really shows when you see who we have in office. I was talking to people at school who said they quite literally never vote because it really has nothing to do with them!!!
when i was canvasiong for the civic election i ran into allot of people that don't vote cause their vote does not matter.. if all those people came out and voted it would be crazy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan