HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 1:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

[Moncton] Retail Thread

In the spirit of Mike K, the website manager, it is probably time to start subdividing the Moncton thread into seperate sections. I have decided to start this process with a Moncton region retail thread. In the future, perhaps we should put all postings regarding Moncton retail news in this thread.

I will start out by reposting this item I just added to the Moncton general projects thread:

Quote:
I was just browsing the job listings on Kijiji for Moncton and came up with an interesting posting for a manager for a new PetSmart location in the city.

Since PetSmart is supposed to go into the Mapleton Power Centre and is supposed to share a building with Best Buy and Bed Bath & Beyond, I wonder if we can take this as indirect evidence that this project is now a go and that all three stores will soon be under construction with a presumed opening date in time for Christmas......

Inquiring minds want to know!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

There was also a job posting on Kijiji for a store manager for a new Pseudio store at Champlain Place.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Further to the above, this is a previous posting by mmmatt which includes an image of the site plan for the Mapleton Power Centre which shows where the building housing PetSmart will be built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Sorry Im flooding the page today...but I've been off for a bit so give me a break!

I also found an updated site plan for the Mapleton Power Center recently!

Its from a leasing broker company. On the plan they list 5 retailers.

Now I'll post this but please remember that it is possible they are not confirmed.

This Image is dated Oct. 28 2010

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

The last one is just listed as "restaurant" on the plan...not sure if thats just an idea or they have someone lined up.

Here is the link to the full PDF file for the plan (better quality): http://www.paracom.on.ca/brochures/s...lan___2011.pdf

There is an interesting looking snake-like feature on the bottom left...possibly a walkway down the hill?

Anyways, all in all this is a fantastic lineup of stores that we don't have yet. Freddy has a Pet Smart and is getting a Best Buy too, but as far as I know (correct me if wrong) these are the only planned Bed Bath and Beyond and Golf Town in NB.

Also with the movement of Cleve's from Trinity that will open up the slot for Bouclair, keeping that whole area full to capacity. So we could possibly see 6 new national retailers set up in the next year or so in this area!

To me it looks like the total sq footage says 268,000 (its a bit blurry) for all buildings on the plan. Trinity is 647,588. plus wal-mart, future shop, home depot, northwest center etc Id say we are looking at least 1,500,000 sq ft of retail in that area at this point.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

One last thing, I noticed the other day that they were starting to lay down the foundation for the large building at the extreme eastern part of this development. No idea who the retailer will be, but a previous post quoting the T&T stated that it would be an "outlet" of some form:

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:00 PM

I noticed yesterday, as MonctonRad stated, there is significant work being done on the area to the far right of the plan, machinery has been working in that area and now it's clears and a new base stone level has been laid down.

JL

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:03 PM

So are those the only 2 buildings currently under construction for this development? Is Cleves open yet?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 9:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post

So are those the only 2 buildings currently under construction for this development? Is Cleves open yet?
Nope, Cleves is not open yet but the building that they will share with Golf Town is largely complete.

With regards to the remainder of your question, one of the strips backing on the Wheeler Blvd offramp has been completed (but empty) for some time. The large building at the east end of the development is now at the foundation stage. With the job listing for PetSmart, it would seem that the other building that will house them, Best Buy and Bed Bath & Beyond must be nearing construction.

In other words, the majority of this development now appears to be on track.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Further to the above, this is a previous posting by mmmatt which includes an image of the site plan for the Mapleton Power Centre which shows where the building housing PetSmart will be built.
BB & B has a "Coming Soon" sign up at the Cobett Centre in Freddy for about 6 weeks now and are now hiring (see here https://prod.fadvhms.com/AllBedBathB...C66A7928EEDD23). Part of the centre expansion that will take place this spring to include BB & B, The Gap Outlet, Oshkosh/Carters and Bouclair. St Huberts is also building at the Corbett Centre. Expansion expected to open late summer/fall.

Last edited by Freddypop; Mar 14, 2012 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Nope, Cleves is not open yet but the building that they will share with Golf Town is largely complete.

With regards to the remainder of your question, one of the strips backing on the Wheeler Blvd offramp has been completed (but empty) for some time. The large building at the east end of the development is now at the foundation stage. With the job listing for PetSmart, it would seem that the other building that will house them, Best Buy and Bed Bath & Beyond must be nearing construction.

In other words, the majority of this development now appears to be on track.
Further to the above, these pictures taken by porchmouse a few weeks ago might help:

This is the Cleves/Golf Town building backing on Mapleton. It is nearing completion.

This is the original strip backing on the Wheeler offramp that was built before the original iteration of this development tanked during the recession. Presumably there are now some tenants lined up.

This is the land at the extreme east end of the development that required rezoning late last year. Grading is now complete and a foundation is now in place.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 12:44 PM

Noticed as I drove by yesterday, they are starting to set "footings" in place for whatever structure is going in on the East end of the plan...moving right along.

Notice that the lights are on in the Cleve's building and that the facades on Cleve's/Golf Town are almost done.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It was in the T&T today that the new PlazaCorp strip mall in front of NBCC on Mountain Road will soon be under construction.

The building will have three units and although official details about tenants have not been released, apparently the building has already been fully leased.

It has been rumoured on the Moncton general thread that one of the tenants will be Aaron's furniture store, relocating from the adjacent Northwest Centre, possibly freeing up space to allow for an expanded footprint for the planned Target store in the Northwest Centre.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:50 PM

If I'm not mistaken someone mentioned that Plaza Corp now also owns the land on the other side of the small old section of Ryan street (old Irving). Seeing as the Zellers section is only about half of the average size of a Target, perhaps the plan is to remove the "dead road", and expand the buidling in that direction and replace lost parking?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Boy View Post
If I'm not mistaken someone mentioned that Plaza Corp now also owns the land on the other side of the small old section of Ryan street (old Irving). Seeing as the Zellers section is only about half of the average size of a Target, perhaps the plan is to remove the "dead road", and expand the buidling in that direction and replace lost parking?
Always hoped they'd reconnect that road some day...think it would take a LOT of congestion off of Hildegarde.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 3:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
Always hoped they'd reconnect that road some day...think it would take a LOT of congestion off of Hildegarde.
If they ever did reconnect Ryan, it would also alleviate a lot of congestion on Mountain Rd at the Wheeler interchange as well. I'm a big fan of doing this too.

BTW, you are correct C_Boy, PlazaCorp does also own the old Irving location next to the Northwest Centre as well.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 8:41 PM

retail

I thought that the brick was coming? Anyone know about the greek restaurant that use to be called OPA in Halifax still coming? I heard that MEC was coming too?

I really hope that more mature clothing stores for men and women will come like Banana republic etc.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
I thought that the brick was coming? Anyone know about the greek restaurant that use to be called OPA in Halifax still coming? I heard that MEC was coming too?

I really hope that more mature clothing stores for men and women will come like Banana republic etc.
- The Brick was supposed to be part of the original iteration of the Mapleton Power Centre before it tanked during the recession. I don't know what the current status of the Brick is.
- Opa (Ela) Greek Taverna has expressed strong interest in the Moncton market and there are a couple of available restaurant pads at the Mapleton Centre. No official announcements have been made.
- MEC has more or less stated that they are not interested in Moncton. The new Cleves store however will be a combo "Source for Sports" and "Source for Adventure". Source for Adventure franchises do carry a lot of the same things as MEC would.
- I have never stated that Banana Republic is definitely coming to Moncton. I have just commented on the fact that Champlain Place is working on filling the mall exclusively with upscale national retailers and that I felt that Banana Republic would be a "natural fit".

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 10:45 PM
Our Tide is Rising

General Stuff

- Bouclair has ads all over town...they have their sign lit up...all they need to do now is open up the doors!

- Morton pub has been renovated into Golden Sushi & Thai

- There is a new store opening up next to Red Satay Grille on St George st. What it is escapes me now...Ill update later.

Mall Stuff

- Sephoria cosmetics will open their first NB location in Champlain Place...the floor plan confirms they will be next to Smart Set which is currently renovating.

- Yves Rocher will move to the former "spa" place across from The Childrens Place and Reitmans...not sure if this is a temporary move so they can renovate and move back (a la Smart Set) or a permanent move.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
If they ever did reconnect Ryan, it would also alleviate a lot of congestion on Mountain Rd at the Wheeler interchange as well. I'm a big fan of doing this too.
That will never happen now. The only way to reconnect Ryan was to go under Wheeler. That can no longer be done.

Last summer, they dug a huge massive hole between the Mt-Rd/Wheeler on-ramp and Ryan Rd. This massive size pit appears to be some sort of drainage infrastructure. You can't miss it when leaving Mt-Rd jumping on Wheeler...look down to the right.

Warning: Keep your eyes on the road because it's a long way down into this pit.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 11:35 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post

Warning: Keep your eyes on the road because it's a long way down into this pit.
true...I'm hoping they landscape this thing well because it looks pretty neat so far (in the winter).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 12:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
General Stuff

Mall Stuff

- Sephoria cosmetics will open their first NB location in Champlain Place...the floor plan confirms they will be next to Smart Set which is currently renovating.

- Yves Rocher will move to the former "spa" place across from The Childrens Place and Reitmans...not sure if this is a temporary move so they can renovate and move back (a la Smart Set) or a permanent move.
Interesting news that Sephora is definitely coming to Champlain Place. I was down in Halifax last weekend and saw the Sephora at HSC. The footprint of the space next to Smart Set looks about right.

The rumour a couple of months ago concerned both Sephora and Fossil. There is a Fossil opening at MicMac in Dartmouth, so perhaps this is an indication that the Fossil rumour may be true as well.

Also coming to Champlain (a return really) is Pseudio. They have an ad in Kijiji.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 1:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

And one last bit of retail news for Champlain Place for the night.

Pandora jewelers is definitely coming to Champlain Place. There is a job listing for a store manager in wowjobs.ca. Pandora has also recently opened a new store at MicMac as well.

So it seems that many of the new higher end stores that have recently opened (or announced) in Halifax are coming to Moncton as well. Major exceptions being Hollister and Apple Store.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces