HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
My bad regarding A&F, it is just a rumor at this point. Hollister Co. is a subsidiary of A&F; as is abercrombie (childrenswear), and Gilly Hicks (women). Maybe that is why they have an address at HSC...?

Great news regarding Coach, such a catch for Champlain! My wife was not able to find the link, so if you have it... thanks!
There is an online NB newspaper stating that Coach and Sephora is coming, however they also state that they will be the only Maritime location... ?!
Here's a limk to their Facebook page where the announcement was made (just scroll down a bit)

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ChamplainPlace

Regarding A&F, the phone number listed on their YellowPages listing (http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Nova-S...&where=Halifax, NS&cli=1,5&le=164a4) is different than Hollister's phone number in HSC. I've tried calling the number there is never an answer.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 2:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks icetea93, I'll have to start paying attention to the Champlain Place page on Facebook. I must admit that I usually ignore Facebook.

------------------------------------------------------

It is good to see these higher end stores coming to Champlain Place. As has been previously pointed out though, Moncton is a pretty small city for many of these chains (in Canada). I presume that they are justifying this move based on the regional catchment area of the mall (as well as traffic counts and sales per square foot).

The upscaling of Champlain may provide an opportunity elsewhere in the city to accomodate displaced retailers, or mid-range retailers that the mall can not (will not) provide space for.

The revived Mapleton Power Centre will likely see some benefit from this. It appears that the empty strip backing on the Wheeler offramp is seeing some work. With stores like Cleves and Golf Town soon ready to open and PetSmart announced, Mapleton will soon take off. Things will really begin to happen once the (anticipated) Best Buy and Bed, Bath & Beyond are finally announced.

Downtown will likely also experience a revival, especially if developers take note of this opportunity to service the slightly-less-than-top-drawer retail market. Of course, the fact that the location of the downtown events centre has not yet been announced is conversely having the effect of delaying downtown development in the short term. No one likes uncertainty. Everyone wants to make sure that their property investments are properly located in order to maximize return. It's time for the city to get off the pot and finally fess up the location of the events centre. Without this information, developers will only keep on sitting on their hands rather than investing in the core. Without this information, downtown retail will suffer.

Come on City Hall, tell us what we need to know in order to remove uncertainty from the downtown. Right now we have development paralysis. This needs to end - now!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 11:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Bouclair is now open at Wheeler Park.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 5:36 PM

Sephora was confirmed today on the Champlain Place Facebook page (same link as above)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 11:53 PM

For those of you who can read french, here's an article on capacadie about the coming mapleton power center:

http://m.capacadie.com/economie/2012...medium=twitter

It states that Cleve's is plan to open in May, and some more either in fall 2012 or spring 2013 depending of construction. There should be confirmation soon of retailers coming. The plan is about 30 new stores. And most available spaces have reserved tenants. It also talk about 4 buildings being ready for this fall, so I assume 2 additional than those already almost complete.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Unique stores that Champlain HAD that I missed is Kernels and Disney. Kernels is now at HSC and Disney is returning at MicMac (rumor). Disney closed many stores a couple of years ago because there was too many, but I guess they are doing better now? Dunno? Future Shop is missed too, but that is whole other animal... Speaking of which, Linen Chest is no Pottery Barn, I went there a few times with my wife (yawn) and there was no one in the store. IMHO, Future Shop attracted more shoppers than Urban Planet & Linen Chest, male shoppers like me anyway. LOL, but I do understand that Future Shop wanted out of Champlain (rent) and wanted their own big box building anyway.

Can't wait for Best Buy at Trinity!
Disney had licensed stores (which was owned by the chain "the children's place") and through some sales or a buy back and restructuring or something like that decided to take back full control of disney stores so they shut all the licensed stores down and have been reopening corporate disney stores

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emad View Post
For those of you who can read french, here's an article on capacadie about the coming mapleton power center:

It states that Cleve's is plan to open in May, and some more either in fall 2012 or spring 2013 depending of construction. There should be confirmation soon of retailers coming. The plan is about 30 new stores. And most available spaces have reserved tenants. It also talk about 4 buildings being ready for this fall, so I assume 2 additional than those already almost complete.
30 new stores is huge and will give Moncton back it's edge in retail in NB. Wonder what other retailers are on deck.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 12:26 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emad View Post

Glad to hear that most of the 30 odd spaces have secured tenants....

If they plan to have 4 buildings ready by the fall, I presume they would be:
- the existing strip backing on the Wheeler off ramp
- the Cleves/Golf Town building (almost ready)
- the mystery building at the east end of the development (the one requiring the rezoning)
- the building on the opposite side of the parking lot with PetSmart and the rumoured Best Buy and Bed, Bath & Beyond

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 12:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
30 new stores is huge and will give Moncton back it's edge in retail in NB. Wonder what other retailers are on deck.
The new high end retailers at Champlain (Sephora, Pandora, Coach and maybe Fossil) will also help give us our mojo back. Now, if only we can find a new location for the Bay....

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 10:27 PM

Another tidbit of info regarding Kernels Popcorn and other food outlets at Champlain. Kernels was doing very well at Champlain, however CF doesn't want food outlet kiosks in the mall for various reasons unless they are coffee shops. Kernels was offered several spots inside Champlain, a spot next to Pretzelmaker was one of them, the one in front of Sobeys, but because of traffic and other factors, they did not come to an agreement. Remember, when Treats was in the kiosk alley? What about the Sweetfactory... This is a CF nationwide requirement and it is the same everywhere in the CF portfolio, look at Regent, food kiosks, gone...

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 24, 2012 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 12:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Speaking of fast food at the mall:

Booster Juice is now open in the secondary food court area in front of Sobeys....

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 1:48 AM

Is it just me or is there an overlap of food selections when it comes to juices-smoothies at Champlain? Orange Julius, Jugo Juice and now Booster Juice, also there are some smoothies at Tims, Starbucks, Timothys, McDonald's and Second Cup, right (all within the mall)? What is next, Jumba Juice? It's overkill after a while.
I would like to see some variety at Champlain; Thai or Japanese Food (been waiting for YEARS), Cinnabon, Kernels, Yogen Fruz, Pinkberry, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, but no more of the same that we see now. I like Pretzelmaker because it's different, the new location is out of the way IMHO.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 26, 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 11:27 AM
Random Contributor

I'd love to see a Tony Roma's Express in the mall. Miss that aroma.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
I'd love to see a Tony Roma's Express in the mall. Miss that aroma.

Yum! Yum!... but there's already Pizza Delight and they recently renovated their location, I doubt they are going anywhere.
Regarding the food court again, it's pretty bland and generic; Tims, A&W, Pizza Delight, Ed's, Orange Julius-DQ, Subway, KFC, we can find several locations of those in the area, what's the point, bring us tenants unique to New Brunswick or at least Moncton. New York Fries is the only location in the Moncton area so it's unique and again I say; Thai or Japanese would be nice & unique... Terriyaki Japan or Thai Express comes to mind. Regent does it better; Vanellis, Thai Express and Teriyaki Experience.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 12:09 AM

Addressing the concerns of whether Coach will fly in Moncton...

http://herenb.canadaeast.com/style/article/1469591

This article says that the Coach store will lean towards a Coach outlet rather than boutique.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 12:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I imagine a Coach outlet would make more sense than a full fledged boutique, but that's OK, it's still a catch for Champlain Place.

BTW, the store will be located across from Starbucks, there is a building permit on site that says so.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I imagine a Coach outlet would make more sense than a full fledged boutique, but that's OK, it's still a catch for Champlain Place.

BTW, the store will be located across from Starbucks, there is a building permit on site that says so.
Being an outlet might actually draw more Nova Scotians that don't want to pay a very high amount at the Halifax store, so it might be an advantage (over having a boutique store).

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:04 AM

I doubt Coach will be an outlet store at Champlain, if it was opening around Trinity it would be another story. ALL Coach stores in large regional malls are full price stores. There are 6 factory outlet Coach stores in Canada and they are all located in outlet type malls. My wife shops at Coach in the US, mainly in Coach outlet stores and they are mostly/all located in outdoor style outlet malls. Champlain is not an outlet mall. Sometimes I'm wrong, but my spouse is never wrong when it comes to Coach, so this is a sure shot.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 5:23 PM

Work progressing quickly @ Mapleton Power Centre site

Passed by the site a few times today, they were pouring in the concrete this morning for the foundation of the large building which is at the far end of the lot (adjacent to Wheeler Blvd. off-ramp, on land which was recently rezoned).

They've also started prep work for foundations on some of the other buildings adjacent to Wheeler as well. Overall, activity is starting to pick-up quite a bit now that Cleves/Golf Town are nearing completion.

Can't wait for an official announcement of confirmed tenants though... the wait is driving me nuts... especially now that we've learned there could be 30 tenants total.

Fingers crossed for a Home Outfitters if we don't get Bed Bath & Beyond... would be the first one in New Brunswick and would satisfy my need for a better single-serve coffee selection (although there are other locations in town that are starting to cater to that niche market). Wouldn't mind a full-blown Nespresso Boutique like in Montreal, but we're not large/chic-enough of a city for that yet, plus have a feeling Hfax would likely secure one before we would.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norshorer View Post
Passed by the site a few times today, they were pouring in the concrete this morning for the foundation of the large building which is at the far end of the lot (adjacent to Wheeler Blvd. off-ramp, on land which was recently rezoned).

They've also started prep work for foundations on some of the other buildings adjacent to Wheeler as well. Overall, activity is starting to pick-up quite a bit now that Cleves/Golf Town are nearing completion.

Can't wait for an official announcement of confirmed tenants though... the wait is driving me nuts... especially now that we've learned there could be 30 tenants total.

Fingers crossed for a Home Outfitters if we don't get Bed Bath & Beyond... would be the first one in New Brunswick and would satisfy my need for a better single-serve coffee selection (although there are other locations in town that are starting to cater to that niche market). Wouldn't mind a full-blown Nespresso Boutique like in Montreal, but we're not large/chic-enough of a city for that yet, plus have a feeling Hfax would likely secure one before we would.
I am pretty sure that BB&B is confirmed. One of the managers that I used to work with is now a District Manager for them. I saw him over the winter and he told me it was a done deal then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces