HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

[Moncton] Sackville Developments

This is the first of the neighbourhood (community) specific threads for the greater southeastern region. This article is reposted from the Moncton development thread:

Quote:
Here are a few renders for the proposed new Fine & Performing Arts Centre to be built at Mount Allison University. This is a $30M project that will be opened in 2014.

Aerial perspective

street view

adjacent outdoor performance space fronting on the quad, which will incorporate elements from the existing Memorial Library which is to be demolished to allow for construction.

The final legal hurdle against construction of this new building has now been cleared as Mr. Justice George Rideout failed to declare an injunction against this project. This project is a definite go. Demolition of the old Memorial Library will likely begin in the next couple of weeks.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another previous post from the Moncton thread to kickstart this new thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I was down in Sackville today and snapped a couple of pictures of their new town hall complex, which is now nearing completion.

This is a surprisingly sharp looking building given the fact that the town is not quite 6,000 people (of course Mount Allison University would contribute significantly to the tax base).

The town hall complex will include the civic offices, town and regional RCMP and the fire hall. I believe the town library will also be in the complex.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:02 PM

Wow where is the new town hall being built? That seems like a fairly substantial building?

JL

PS> Love the outdoor theater at the new fine arts building.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yes, it is a substantial building and is one of the nicest town halls that I have seen, especially for a town of this size. In addition to the civic offices, the building also houses the fire department and both the town and Tantramar divisions of the RCMP. It is located on the southern part of Main Street, more or less acrossfrom the town library.

-----------------------------------------------------

On another note, they are nearing completion of renovations to the McDonald's restaurant in town ( a small thing but quite meaningful in a town of 6,000 people).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 6:51 PM

So the town hall/fire station is where that old gas station used to be that they tore down? Basically across from the existing fire station?

JL

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 7:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
So the town hall/fire station is where that old gas station used to be that they tore down? Basically across from the existing fire station?

JL
Don't know about the gas station but it is across from the old fire station so it sounds about right.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 7:53 PM

Cool, thanks for the info...!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 10:55 PM
Our Tide is Rising

I was just there today and the town hall is now complete and fully operational...looks really great!

The lot has been fully cleared for the new arts building...It will serve as a very nice "entrance" into the campus and Sackville as a whole really...as most people enter town from the "mcdonalds/esso" exit.

Along with the new esso and the under renovation esso there is a new building U/C just behind there...looks to be 1 floor...most likely retail of some sort.

On another side note I'd rather this thread be called "Moncton: SouthEast NB" or something...to encompass Shediac, Sackville, Hillsborough etc...as Sackville doesnt have THAT much going on to justify a whole thread.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 11:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

You may be right about the name for this thread mmmatt, but if we were to rename it, it would require having a mod involved and I still consider this as kind of an experiment. We'll see how things go.

I could see renaming it [Moncton] Greater Southeast.

Regarding the Esso/McDonalds at the Main Street exit off the TCH, the new building at the back of the lot will be an "Esso on the Run". Previously, the Esso convenience store and the McDonalds had shared a building near the gas pumps. That building now will be exclusively a McDonalds restaurant.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 11:34 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:

You may be right about the name for this thread mmmatt, but if we were to rename it, it would require having a mod involved and I still consider this as kind of an experiment. We'll see how things go.

I could see renaming it [Moncton] Greater Southeast.

Regarding the Esso/McDonalds at the Main Street exit off the TCH, the new building at the back of the lot will be an "Esso on the Run". Previously, the Esso convenience store and the McDonalds had shared a building near the gas pumps. That building now will be exclusively a McDonalds restaurant.
O yes I know...the new esso is open, we have a drop box there that I pick up when I deliver in that area...The building I'm talking about is not on the same lot...its a ways back...behind the Co-op even...its fairly large looking...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Radio Canada International to fall silent

RCI will bear the brunt of the 10 per cent funding cut to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation announced in the last federal budget. RCI is going off the air. The international service will no longer be heard on shortwave or satellite broadcasts. A budget cut of more than 80% at RCI will mean only limited service will be offered on the Internet in five languages: English, French, Spanish, Mandarin and Arabic. Russian and Portuguese services will be dropped. A total of 650 jobs will be lost at the CBC over the next three years and there will be changes in programming. To generate additional revenue, CBC plans to introduce advertising on its CBC Radio 2 and Espace Musique channels. CBC TV will also shut down 620 analog transmitters and cut its in-house documentary unit. Marc Montgomery discusses the changes with The Link’s producer, Levon Sevunts.

Link:

- http://www.rcinet.ca/english/news/15...4-rci-slashed/

I would imagine this will be the end for those iconic RCI transmission towers on the Tantramar Marshes.....

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Radio Canada International to fall silent

RCI will bear the brunt of the 10 per cent funding cut to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation announced in the last federal budget. RCI is going off the air. The international service will no longer be heard on shortwave or satellite broadcasts. A budget cut of more than 80% at RCI will mean only limited service will be offered on the Internet in five languages: English, French, Spanish, Mandarin and Arabic. Russian and Portuguese services will be dropped. A total of 650 jobs will be lost at the CBC over the next three years and there will be changes in programming. To generate additional revenue, CBC plans to introduce advertising on its CBC Radio 2 and Espace Musique channels. CBC TV will also shut down 620 analog transmitters and cut its in-house documentary unit. Marc Montgomery discusses the changes with The Link’s producer, Levon Sevunts.

Link:

- http://www.rcinet.ca/english/news/15...4-rci-slashed/

I would imagine this will be the end for those iconic RCI transmission towers on the Tantramar Marshes.....
This blows my mind...we can give millions of dollars away to foreign countries, for no apparent reason other than 'good faith' or some BS, but we let CBC fall into disarray and disrepair.

This is sad...we need a government that worries more about taking care of it's own back yard than someone else's back yard...yeesh!

JL

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 2:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is indeed very sad. The RCI towers have always fascinated me and, since I have lived in Moncton, I have always considered them a familiar and welcoming landmark on the way home from trips to NS. I will truly miss those red navigation lights on the top of those towers after dark......

This may not be the end of the cuts as far as CBC in concerned for the Maritimes. I know that they have cancelled plans to build a new CBC Radio building in Halifax and that they are moving their (national) TV production facilitiies out of Halifax (think This Hour has 22 Minutes). There may be more to follow.

I am concerned about CBC Radio in New Brunswick. It is a bit of a luxury to have three local (anglophone) CBC radio stations in the province. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that they may relocate all their anglophone production facilities to Fredericton. The next month or two will tell the tale.

CBC Radio provides a very important news alternative to the Irving press monopoly in Moncton. News 91.9 doesn't have the resources to be an effective alternative. If CBA in Moncton were to go off air (become a CBZ rebroadcaster only), it would be a huge loss to local programming. Effectively, all our broadcast news would be coming from Halifax (CTV and Global) or Fredericton (CBC). There would be no local focus and only 1-2 token Moncton news items per news broadcast. I think a regional city of 140,000 deserves better!

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 3:38 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:

This is indeed very sad. The RCI towers have always fascinated me and, since I have lived in Moncton, I have always considered them a familiar and welcoming landmark on the way home from trips to NS. I will truly miss those red navigation lights on the top of those towers after dark......

This may not be the end of the cuts as far as CBC in concerned for the Maritimes. I know that they have cancelled plans to build a new CBC Radio building in Halifax and that they are moving their (national) TV production facilitiies out of Halifax (think This Hour has 22 Minutes). There may be more to follow.

I am concerned about CBC Radio in New Brunswick. It is a bit of a luxury to have three local (anglophone) CBC radio stations in the province. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that they may relocate all their anglophone production facilities to Fredericton. The next month or two will tell the tale.

CBC Radio provides a very important news alternative to the Irving press monopoly in Moncton. News 91.9 doesn't have the resources to be an effective alternative. If CBA in Moncton were to go off air (become a CBZ rebroadcaster only), it would be a huge loss to local programming. Effectively, all our broadcast news would be coming from Halifax (CTV and Global) or Fredericton (CBC). There would be no local focus and only 1-2 token Moncton news items per news broadcast. I think a regional city of 140,000 deserves better!
Thankfully, 22 Minutes and other TV programs will still be produced in Halifax, but the facilities will have to be rented.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Back to development news:

The new Sackville town hall is now opened and fully operational.

They have cleared the land for the new Fine Arts Centre at Mount Allison University. Actual construction should be underway within a month or so.

They are building a new head office for the Maritime Conference of the United Church of Canada behind the Coastal Inn, next to the Trans Canada Highway. This is to replace the existing head office building on Bridge St adjacent to Mt A.

Also:

- there is an expansion pending for the Drew Nursing Home
- there are a couple of fairly generic four storey apartment buildings under construction. Presumably these will be student apartment buildings as they are not too far from the university.....

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They made the (valid) point in the paper today that the RCI towers are "not quite dead yet", as the facility is used as a North American retransmitter for a number of European and Asian shortwave services.

It will be interesting to see if the feds are willing to maintain the facility and rent it out in the future.

My guess is that they won't, but we'll just have to wait and see.....

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 11:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Just to put this story to bed, I guess they can rest easy at CBA. They have (apparently) been spared in the job cutting exercise so far and local CBC radio in southeastern NB is safe for now.

12 jobs have been lost in Halifax and 2 in Fredericton. Some programming has been cut. No job losses in Moncton that I am aware of.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 8:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Tantramar Heritage Trust has just secured $200k from the federal government to help relocate and refurbish the Captain George Anderson Octagonal House.

A lot of people will be familiar with this building. It currently sits adjacent to the main Mt A parking lot and formerly served as the town's tourist information building.

This building dates from the 1850's and is one of the oldest buildings in town

The building will be relocated close to Marshview Middle School and will be refurbished as an exhibition and community space as part of celebrations around the 250th anniversary of the founding of Sackville township in 2012.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sackville News:

(1) - The Anderson octagonal house is being moved today.

(2) - RCI shut down their transmission towers this week. Unless a foreign shortwave service is willing to buy the site and use it as a rebroadcasting facility (highly unlikely in my mind), the towers will be torn down.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
(2) - RCI shut down their transmission towers this week. Unless a foreign shortwave service is willing to buy the site and use it as a rebroadcasting facility (highly unlikely in my mind), the towers will be torn down.
It's going to be strange crossing the marsh and not seeing that... or not seeing it far over the hill from the south when approaching from NS. It was always an interesting mile-marker for me when I was a little kid traveling to NS with my dad when he was on the road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces