HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
A number of interesting points were brought up, but perhaps the most intriguing idea was for a third (pedestrian and bicycle) crossing of the Petitcodiac, connecting the east end of Riverview directly to downtown Moncton.

I envisage such a bridge could look a lot like the existing pedestrian bridge across the mouth of Hall's Creek connecting Moncton and Dieppe. What do other people think?
From my Google Maps eye, the Riverview gazebo (the end of the trail) is ~350 m from the nearest point in Moncton (@ Rodd Park Inn). Any idea what a bridge that length would cost?

I love the idea -- I wish these types of projects would come to fruition, but I don't see it happening.

1. Insert environmental questions.

2. The province can't justify it. Have they even committed to rebuilding the causeway? That comes first, and they should invest in making it ped-bike-friendly. They're also even too cheap to spend a couple grand on placing expansion joint covers on Gunningsville to allow bicycles on the roadway, which would make it much safer when heading south.

3. Moncton can't justify it. Over the past decade, they've done a lot of good work on trails. To much controversy, they reduced car lanes on Salisbury and Shediac. Nobody uses these things. Some trails see more wildlife than humans. I suspect that the average resident would rather get a tax break to buy a bigger car, a more comfy couch and more gas to burn waiting in a Tim's drive-thru.

3a. Money for 10-20 people to cross the river, but no money to pay bus drivers that hundreds (thousands?) rely on?

3b. If they are going to spend money on trails and bike lanes, they should focus on Lewisville, Mountain and traffic circles at the causeway and at Main/Champlain first.

But if they build it, I won't complain.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 2:54 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The riverfront trails are busier than most pierre, and a new pedestrian bridge from the east end of Riverview across the Petitcodiac to downtown Moncton would be a link between the north and south sides of the river. To be more precise, it would complete a form of "circle route" with the other cross river connection being the Gunningsville Bridge. I think this would be tremendously popular. I know that I would use it!

The riverfront trail system is the greatest unsung treasure in the metro region. The only other city with an extensive river trail system is Fredericton and ours is far more extensive. I bet you that we have at least 20km of riverfront trails in the metro area. There is lots of wildlife, extensive and verdant marshlands and scenic panoramas to behold. When I have time off, taking a walk on the trail system is one of my favourite things to do. I particularly like the trail in Dieppe, but the system is all very nice. A beautiful system of linear parkland in the heart of the city!

A pedestrian bridge connecting the downtown to Outhouse Point would increase accessibility to that portion of the trail system in east Riverview and could be viewed as a infrastructure investment that would make residential development in the east end of downtown and in Gunningsville more attractive. Many people like to look at active lifestyle options in any place they are thinking of buying or renting in.

It would be another feather in the cap for the city.....

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 1:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It was in the T&T today that the town of Riverview is going to do a study regarding the feasability of locating a hotel in the community.

Given the high inventory of hotel rooms in the metro area, it is somewhat surprising that there isn't already a hotel in Riverview.

I agree that a hotel in Riverview would likely be a good idea, but the mayor was floating the idea of building a hotel on (the future) Bridgedale Blvd. I must respectfully disagree with her on this point.

The most logical place to build a hotel would be somewhere on the Hillsborough Road, where it could capture tourist traffic to and from Fundy Park and the Hopewell Rocks. Tourism in Albert County will become increasingly important once the Fundy Trail is (finally) completed. This is where the hotel should be built, not Bridgedale Blvd!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 4:19 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

The city is over-saturated with hotel rooms right now though. Sure, there are a few times a year when you're hard pressed to find a place, but for most of the year that isn't the case.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 2:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Riverview May Sell Chocolate River Station
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...uture-759.html

The Town of Riverview is considering selling the struggling Chocolate River Station if it can’t find a way to revive the centre.

The Chocolate River Station was originally designed with the goal of luring businesses that contribute to a unique “sensory experience.”

But it lost a high-profile tenant when the Olivier Soapery pulled out in 2011 and an art gallery announced in August that it was leaving the centre.

The town hasn't been able to keep the building fully rented since it opened two and a half years ago.

Riverview recently appointed a new committee to try and revive the site before it decides whether to sell the facility.

David Briggs, who bottles and sells Briggs Maple products at the Chocolate River Station, said having the town sell to a new owner may be the best option for everyone.

"They may have a new idea or a better idea or a better understanding of the right track to go with this and maybe put it on the way to success rather than what the town has done,” he said.

Briggs is one of the only original tenants left in the building.

He said poor signage, poorly planned renovations and a lack of marketing on behalf of the town drove out some of the old tenants and it is turning away new ones.

Coun. Cecile Cassista said she appreciates feedback from the tenants even if it is negative.

Cassista is the chairperson for the group appointed by the town to come up with better ways to manage the site.

"The committee is working very hard at the renting options and the other piece that we have to look at is, is it the role of the town to continue to be the landlord and how do we do that," she said.

The committee has until January to come up with a plan to market and fill the building.

Cassista said selling the Chocolate River Station is an option but she considers that plan a last resort.

"The committee is basically tasked at looking at a vision and a clear direction of where we are going, to determine whether we should be continuing to rent and if we are going to rent who are the potential renters and what role will the town play or can they play. Then we will be looking at the option is it for sale,” she said.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 7:39 PM

Clayton Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross@YVR View Post
Has anyone heard further info in the Clayton Developments project in Riverview? Seems to have gone totally quiet. Thanks!
I read an article recently that indicated Clayton Developments has had trouble aquiring a parcel of land that they need in order to access. The Town is looking at expropriating the land (because a town road will be constructed on siad land) so the development can proceed.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 4:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Current status of the new k-8 Gunningsville School in east Riverview.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 4:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Updated photo for one of the condo buildings under construction in The Villas at Brydon Brook, off of Gunningsville Blvd near Findlay Park.

The image is from their website.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 2:53 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting article in the T&T today about the proposed Mill Creek Nature Park which may be developed in the east end of the town.

The town already owns 550 acres bounding the southern edge of the proposed Bridgedale Blvd, extending to the town limits. The area already has municipal services and would encompass lands around the Mill Creek dam headpond. Proposed uses include hiking, biking, canoeing, fishing and skating on the headpond. A wellness and sports complex could be built on the property facing onto Bridgedale Blvd, and some speculation exists that a hotel could be built next to the sports complex.

The town seems prepared to go to the next step with this proposal and a public consultation is scheduled for Riverview Town Hall at 7PM, Tuesday November 27th.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 2:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Riverview town council has voted unanimously in favour of proceeding with the right of way expropriation which would allow for the Clayton Developments project off of Gunningsville Blvd on the Moncton Golf & Country Club lands to go ahead.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

In the newspaper today that the town has leased the majority of the space at the Chocolate River Station

A couple of the original businesses are staying (Brigg's Maple Products and a pottery), but the rest of the building will be leased to DS&Co Group of Companies. They already operate a floral shop and interior decorating company on site as well as a wedding arrangements business. The space formerly housing Olivier Soapery will become a private banquet and concert hall (which will presumably tie in quite nicely with the wedding arrangements business).

This is nothing like what the building was originally purposed for, but apparently with this lease the town will actually be making money on the property. I guess this counts for something.....

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 5:57 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Good concept, but the execution wasn't there. Other than the boardwalk, there's really nothing tourist-y worth visiting in Riverview. The stores they put in, I suppose with the exception of the chocolate one, weren't really all that interesting as far as draws go. If you're coming to Moncton, why go over to Riverview to go to Olivier when you could just go to Champlain Place?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 1:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is an open house planned for later this week concerning the proposed Mill Creek Nature Park. The open house will be at Riverview town hall.

This information was in the paper today. I don't have the paper in front of me right now, but I believe it will be held on Thursday evening. Plans and proposals will be available to be viewed.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 9:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to "the Sleuth", there is an Ultramar onvenience store/service station somewhere on Coverdale Road in west Riverview which is going to be demolished and replaced with.....another service station.

A small thing I know, but this is the winter doldrums in Riverview and we have to keep this thrrad active.....

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 10:54 PM

That is strange because the ultramar on Coverdale is at the corner of pine glen and they just did a new addition to it recently and added a coffee section with drive through.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 1:54 AM

The Ultramar/Needs on Coverdale the Sleuth mentioned is the one that used to be near Deluxe/Dooleys, across the road from The Silvery Moon. The pumps/canopy/tanks were removed a couple of years ago, but the empty store is still standing. For now.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 2:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
The Ultramar/Needs on Coverdale the Sleuth mentioned is the one that used to be near Deluxe/Dooleys, across the road from The Silvery Moon. The pumps/canopy/tanks were removed a couple of years ago, but the empty store is still standing. For now.
Ahhhhh, that building! I know that place, it's a derelict and an eyesore. It may just be another gas station being built, but it will certainly be an improvement over what's there right now!!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 8:03 PM

Riverview Active Transportation.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 12:20 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Ambitious plan, to say the least. They've got an awfully long way to go to make it happen though. Also, I can't believe how large Gunningsville is now.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 1:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Ambitious plan, to say the least. They've got an awfully long way to go to make it happen though. Also, I can't believe how large Gunningsville is now.
I'm also pleased to see what Riverview is thinking of in terms of active transportation. It fits in well with active transportation plans in Moncton and Dieppe as well.

I don't think all those streets that you see in the Gunningsville neighbourhood actually exist right now. Many of them of course do, but I think some of the roadways are probably "planned" or "proposed". They also included the planned Clayton Developments subdivision south of the golf course and also Bridgedale Blvd on the map as well, even though neither of these currently exist.

http://www.townofriverview.ca/en/our...NetworkMap.pdf

Regardless, it's clear that the main focus for further development in the town is towards the east, in the Gunningsville area and to support this, I imagine the town may focus on building Bridgedale Blvd soon, probably within the next five years or so. This will become more urgent if the town also commits to developing the new Mill Creek Nature Park and the proposed east end recreation centre.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces