HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, I had a first look at the (presumed Starbucks) construction site in the Lounsbury's Centre parking lot today.

This would not have been my first choice for a location of a standalone Starbucks outlet. The pitch of the parking lot will be a little problematic (but not disastrously so), and the site is located immediately adjacent to the entrance to the strip mall. Depending on how they handle positioning of the drive-thru, I could see some problems with traffic congestion.

Another issue (although not a major one), is that this location is probably not more than 500-600m from the soon to be renovated Target store. There will be a Starbucks at the Target too. It might have been better if they had chosen a site a little further out on Mountain Road, like at Bob Steeves new plaza that will soon be under construction.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:27 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Depending on how they handle positioning of the drive-thru, I could see some problems with traffic congestion.
That was my first thought as well...that is one of the busiest intersections in the city and now with a drive thru added in I don't even want to think how bad it could get!! Also the parking lot itself can be hectic at times due to its odd layout...I'm hoping that people will be forced to line up in the direction of shoppers...

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 11:01 PM

Something's afoot next to Cake Box/Greco. They started excavating right next to the building (cake box side) yesterday.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 12:53 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithree View Post
Something's afoot next to Cake Box/Greco. They started excavating right next to the building (cake box side) yesterday.
I saw that too. I wonder if they are expanding the Cakebox? It's fairly popular.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 2:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The T&T today confirmed that the construction site in the Lounsbury's Centre parking lot is indeed for a standalone Starbuck's outlet. It will open in the late summer and will include an outside patio and a drive-thru as well as interior seating.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 9:00 PM

Noticed today that the foundation is almost ready to be poured at both the Cakebox and Starbucks locations.

At this rate, these two projects will be completed before Bruce Springsteen comes to town.

Think about the tourists who only come to Moncton once a year during the summer months. They must feel like their visiting a new city each year. Crazy!

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 11:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is what is planned for the empty lot between the McManaman Building and Costco on Mapleton Road.

This should complement the McManaman Building quite well....

BTW - the last empty unit in the McManaman Building has been leased. A physiotherapy clinic is slated to move in there.

It's amazing how quickly Mapleton Road is developing now that all the roadwork is finished.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 2:08 PM

Quote:
This is what is planned for the empty lot between the McManaman Building and Costco on Mapleton Road.

BTW - the last empty unit in the McManaman Building has been leased. A physiotherapy clinic is slated to move in there.

It's amazing how quickly Mapleton Road is developing now that all the roadwork is finished.
With a handfull of construction sites along mountain, mapleton centre and now this, it's amazing how the whole north end is filling out. I wonder if we'll see movement anytime soon on those rumored 100-unit appartment buildings off Carson. That would go a long way in increasing population density in the area.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 9:56 PM

The expansion by the "Cake Box" is for a "Pet Value" store, some sort of pet supplies store.

Was in Cake Box yesterday and the employee informed me that's what is was.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
The expansion by the "Cake Box" is for a "Pet Value" store, some sort of pet supplies store.

Was in Cake Box yesterday and the employee informed me that's what is was.
Jeez - not too worried about saturating the marketplace are they.

- Pets Unlimited is just down the road in the Northwest Centre
- PetSmart is opening in the Mapleton Centre
- Global Pet Food does good business a little further in on Mountain.

Both Global and Pets Unlimited have second stores in Dieppe.

Is there room for Pet Value? Especially given the imminent arrival of PetSmart?

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Jeez - not too worried about saturating the marketplace are they.

Is there room for Pet Value? Especially given the imminent arrival of PetSmart?
Hopefully whoever is involved knew about PetSmart coming to town before taking the decision to go ahead with this.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 10:56 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Whatever they're building next to the Cake Box on Mountain Rd has to be more than just a pet store - they erected two floors of structural steel on the foundation yesterday. It's going to be a substantive building.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 6:10 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Construction is imminent on both of these strips on Mountain Rd. They both have Acadian Construction signs up and the old houses in the way of Plaza 1909 are being gutted today.

Hastings Ridge Phase II (I'm Guessing the middle one is next)

source: loopnet

Plaza 1909

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 8:36 PM

Anyone know what is being build or designed next to zellers (Behind old irving) trees have been cut and land is being cleared right next to the Mountain Rd Exit

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 8:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballain View Post
Anyone know what is being build or designed next to zellers (Behind old irving) trees have been cut and land is being cleared right next to the Mountain Rd Exit
No specific idea but the land was purchased by Plaza Corp so it's a pretty safe bet that it will be a retail development.

Plaza Corp also owns the Northwest Centre. Target will be taking over most (if not all) of the space between the current Zellers and Sobeys when they take over (and expand) the Zellers next year. Plaza Corp thus has to find space for the displaced retailers. Some (including Aarons and Battery House) are moving into the new strip being built in front of NBCC. Perhaps a few others are being located to the other new strip next to the off ramp.

In any event, this looks to be a large strip mall and there will certainly be space for new retailers. With Target moving in next door, this should be a very desireable location.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 3:00 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Does anyone know who owns the roughly triangular piece of forested land in behind Northwest Centre? It just strikes me as odd that the entire loop made by Wheeler is built up except for there, and the area past the end of Carson Drive, even though there's been huge development on the outside of the ring.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballain View Post
I was told this was something to do with the lagoon that is being built on the other side of Wheeler...an 'extension' of it.

JL

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 6:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
I was told this was something to do with the lagoon that is being built on the other side of Wheeler...an 'extension' of it.

JL
That makes sense and could certainly explain part of what's going on but PlazaCorp did purchase the old Irving property at the front and there is an Acadian Construction sign erected on site so something is going to be built at the front (at least).

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 6:44 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
That makes sense and could certainly explain part of what's going on but PlazaCorp did purchase the old Irving property at the front and there is an Acadian Construction sign erected on site so something is going to be built at the front (at least).
To me it looks like there are 2 separate events going on.

1. PlazaCorp is developing the old Irving site into retail of some sort.

2. The city/province are doing something behind...At first glance I was hoping maybe they were building a road and overpass to connect to Ryan Rd finally as part of the revamp of Ryan...but I'm sure this would have been news long ago if that was the plan.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
The sign is Avondale not Acadian Construction on that site. They are also the contactor for the PlazaCorp building on the other side of the DQ. There is a new Acadian Construction sign on Mountain Road but it's on the lot across from Ferguson-Knowles. There is also a Martel Builders sign on site but it looks more like a billboard ad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces