HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 1:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
Beside the cake box is a Pet Supply store...an employee in the Cake Box told me the name but I can't remember now...
Looking back at your previous post on this thread Jason, your source apparently told you that it was going to be a Pet Valu location:

http://www.petvalu.com/home

Current status of construction:

I find it rather odd that they chose to physically connect this building with the existing wood frame building housing Greco and Cake Box. I could perhaps see this in a more urban location where land is hard to come by, but in a suburban neighbourhood like this, it would have been easy to come up with a different setting for the store, especially with the plethora of strip malls coming on line along the western portion of Mountain Rd.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 2:38 PM

This is a very strange addition indeed, I just don't get it. It almost looks like the Greco and the bakery building will be demolished at some point, cause it just doesn't fit. The new addition looks like the box that the old building came from!
Every time I drove by this place recently, I've been like... what the ****?!
In a very urban setting different architecture next to each other is nice and it can add contrast. Example: The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) in Toronto.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Jul 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
This is a very strange addition indeed, I just don't get it.
It is a pretty large/nice building for just a pet store, maybe it'll also house a vet practice?? but yes, the location next to the older cake box building is strange.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 10:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was at the Magnetic Hill Zoo today and noted that some of the stones from the old Gunningsville Bridge have been recycled as decorative accents and as stone walls. This is a very good use for these materials. I approve!

I include this picture just because I like lions.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 12:57 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I'm glad to see they've improved the lion enclosure since the last time I was there. I always loved the zoo. I really ought to go this summer.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 2:52 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I don't know when you were to the zoo last Myles, but the improvements especially over the last 5-6 years have been truly remarkable. The zoo is planning on $1.1M in upgrades in the next year to create an Asian habitat and to bring back the tigers.

I don't doubt the zoo's current ranking as the fourth best in the country.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Looking back at your previous post on this thread Jason, your source apparently told you that it was going to be a Pet Valu location:

I find it rather odd that they chose to physically connect this building with the existing wood frame building housing Greco and Cake Box. I could perhaps see this in a more urban location where land is hard to come by, but in a suburban neighbourhood like this, it would have been easy to come up with a different setting for the store, especially with the plethora of strip malls coming on line along the western portion of Mountain Rd.

That's it! It is an odd addition...plus "Cake Box" must be pissed as the new addition completely obscures their signage as you come up Mountain Rd. from the Trinity area...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 6:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Mountain Road Strip Mall Update:

The three houses occupying the site of Plaza 1909 have now been moved. I suspect there will be major site preparation work very soon.

Whatever is being built at Hastings Ridge will not be what is pictured on this rendering. The footprint is too small!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 1:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This 64 unit apartment building is proposed for the west end of Mountain Road, directly across the street from land owned by Sobeys that will be used for a (future) grocery store, and just down the street from the Home Hardware/Home Furnishings Store.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 12:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

Whatever is being built at Hastings Ridge will not be what is pictured on this rendering. The footprint is too small!
Well, they apparently have given up on the idea of the full blown Hastings Ridge development on Mountain Road. The unit currently under construction on site will be a new Mister Lube location.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 1:05 AM

Quote:

Is it possible that perhaps there are plans afoot to have the "house" building of the CAke Box and Greco - Renovated? I mean.. for the new construction to be attached to the Cake Box/Grego the Landlord must be involved. What is even more odd, is this building does not look at all like a retail store. If you are going to build your building perpendicular to a major roadway, why not put windows facing Down mountain road ( vogue Optical Side) or at least have a full frontal view? I must admit i find the Taupe Siding absolutely atrocious, however.. it is a MARKETING DREAM!.. PRIME BILLBOARD SIGNAGE space for rent. The main access door will be/is shared with Cake Box entry which makes things even more odd.. It will be interesting to see what happens..Does anyone know who owns the Greco/CB building?? I can see it now... Dogs in the Pet store.. smelling the cupcakes in the bakery.. DANGER!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 11:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Work on Plaza 1909 is imminent. The houses have been removed and all the trees (save one) have been cut down. There is now construction fencing surrounding the site.

Bulldozers will be next.......

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 12:05 AM

Saw the site plan for Plaza 1909 today. First building will be at the back of the lot with a little less than 18,000 sq ft. There are 10 or 11 individual units shown on the site plan I saw but I'm sure there would have to be some combos because each unit would only be about 1600 - 1700 sq ft. I believe this is being tendering now. There is another building on the site which would be next to Barnaby's but is not part of current tender. It is 4600 sq ft with a drive thru. I can't imagine another coffee spot here

Last edited by Over60; Jul 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 1:33 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
This is the current proposal for the land at the corner of Trinity Drive and Mountain Rd currently occupied by the dental clinic next to Old Navy.

They are starting to dismantle the current structure on the site...the way they are doing it seems to suggest they will facelift and expand the current structure. Otherwise why not just bulldoze the place?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
They are starting to dismantle the current structure on the site...the way they are doing it seems to suggest they will facelift and expand the current structure. Otherwise why not just bulldoze the place?
Some of the original tenants do not want to move.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 10:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They are starting to put fill in for Plaza 1909. It's going to take quite a bit of fill to level that lot! It slopes quite a bit towards the back.

It's so dry out there that there is a lot of dust being generated......

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 1:04 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The T&T confirmed in the paper yesterday that the new addition to this building will be for a pet store (PetValu) and that the second floor will contain "professional" space, presumably a veterinarian's office.

Also, they have removed the bay window in front of the Greco location, possibly for a new entrance. This makes me wonder if they aren't also planning more extensive renovations to the existing structure. Now would be the ideal time to do this......

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 6:33 PM

Noticed 2 signs in the window this morning. 1 for Pet Value and 1 for a dog grooming place

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 3:31 PM

I apologize if this can be found elsehere but I haven't seen it.

The land cleared beside Circle K at corner of Trinity & Mountain Rd is for a fast food restaurant likely a Harvey's.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 4:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over60 View Post
I apologize if this can be found elsehere but I haven't seen it.

The land cleared beside Circle K at corner of Trinity & Mountain Rd is for a fast food restaurant likely a Harvey's.
No this has not been posted elsewhere. I thought that they were just expanding the Circle K parking lot!

Can Moncton support more than one Harvey's? It's not the most popular burger chain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces