HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

It is for a "retail store and building supply outlet with an associated commercial development". The location is on the east side of Harrisville Blvd, north of the Veterans Highway interchange. I wonder if this would be where the new Rona is going, rather than the Mapleton Centre.
What I heard was that the Kent on Champlain St in Dieppe has been sold to the owners of the strip mall with the Shoppers Drug Mart next door and that they plan to expand that strip mall. And Kent was supposed to relocate on Harrisville Blvd, so when I saw that yesterday, I assumed that's what it was...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 1:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 1:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting presentation at city council the other night proposing that the old Sunnybrae Arena (the Roman Coliseum like ruins next to the CNR mainline) be turned into a community garden.

It actually seems like a good idea. The walls of the old arena would shelter the garden plots and would prolong the growing season. The proposal also suggested putting in trails and walkways around the site and perhaps using the garden for cultural events like poetry readings.

This should be a low cost venture that could add greatly to the neighbourhood. According to the presenter, there is broad support for this project in Sunnybrae. I approve.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 21, 2012 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Interesting presentation at city council the other night proposing that the old Sunnybrae Arena (the Roman Coliseum like ruins next to the CNR mainline) be turned into a community garden.

It actually seems like a good idea. The walls of the old arena would shelter the garden plots and would prolong the growing season. The proposal also suggested putting in trails and walkways around the site and perhaps using the garden for cultural events like poetry readings.

This should be a low cost venture that could add greatly to the neighbourhood. According to the presenter, there is broad support for this project in Sunnybrae. I approve.
I've said for years that this structure should be 'revamped' somehow, whether into a skating rink again (which would be awesome) or as suggested some sort of public garden where people could relax and enjoy nature, read, etc.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 7:29 PM

Does anybody have any idea how much they are selling lots for in the new Halls Creek Development? I haven't been able to find any information regarding this online, and they're not very fast at returning messages. Maybe they're all sold?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 1:06 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
Does anybody have any idea how much they are selling lots for in the new Halls Creek Development? I haven't been able to find any information regarding this online, and they're not very fast at returning messages. Maybe they're all sold?
They have a website: http://hallscreek.ca/

You can either call them (the phone number is included), or send them an e-mail.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 3:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A few tidbits about the new Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott to be built off of Harrisville Blvd.

- the building permit has been issued, it is valued at over $5M.
- completion is still scheduled for Spring 2013. Apparently they will be using a new modular construction technique which will accelerate the construction schedule. It will be the first hotel of it's kind in Canada.
- the hotel will be four floors and will have 82 guest rooms.
- there will also be meeting rooms, a swimming pool and water slide.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 2:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Monies have been set aside in the 2013 (and 2014) capital budgets for the city to relocate the Mclaughlin Rd fire station to Elmwood Dr near the Caledonia Industrial Park. A total of $750k has been set aside.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Monies have been set aside in the 2013 (and 2014) capital budgets for the city to relocate the Mclaughlin Rd fire station to Elmwood Dr near the Caledonia Industrial Park. A total of $750k has been set aside.
Closer to the High School...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A tender has been issued by the city for the removal of the Humphrey Brook dam and bridge adjacent to Mill Rd.

The only comment I will offer is that this means the loss of the Humphrey Brook headpond. This area is rather pleasant and the Humphrey Brook trail passes along the shores of the headpond. It makes for a nice walk. In some ways, it will be sad to see it go, but I guess that provincial waterways rules mean that the city has little choice.

In any event, the ducks will be displeased.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 4:33 PM

Quote:
A tender has been issued by the city for the removal of the Humphrey Brook dam and bridge adjacent to Mill Rd.

The only comment I will offer is that this means the loss of the Humphrey Brook headpond. This area is rather pleasant and the Humphrey Brook trail passes along the shores of the headpond. It makes for a nice walk. In some ways, it will be sad to see it go, but I guess that provincial waterways rules mean that the city has little choice.

In any event, the ducks will be displeased.
Isn't that brook highly polluted though? I remember reading the Petitcodiac Riverkeeper's "Wish List" and the removal of this dam was on the list. Hopefully it'll clean up the water in the long run.

Last edited by David_99; Nov 28, 2012 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 4:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Isn't that brook highly polluted though? I remember reading the Petitcodiac Riverkeeper's "Wish List" and the removal of this dam was on the list. Hopefully it'll clean up the water in the long run.
Could be, I don't know.

All that I'm saying is that aesthetically the headpond was pleasing. There are likely reasons for having the dam removed, especially for fish migration. I have no really strong feeling on the matter one way or the other.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 12:20 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

From today's T&T
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=10231

New high school project goes to tender
Thursday, November 29, 2012
Times & Transcript
By: Brent Mazerolle

The tender call has gone out for the construction of a new high school to replace Moncton High School.

What the Province of New Brunswick is calling the new 'Moncton area regional high school' is slated to be built at an estimated cost of $48 million off Elmwood Drive just north of the Royal Oaks subdivision. The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure will host a site review for interested contractors next Thursday, Dec. 6, and the deadline for submission of tenders is Dec. 20.

'I think we're a little bit ahead of schedule,' Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Claude Williams said yesterday, noting the tender deadline is now roughly the date they had originally hoped to issue the tender.

'If everything goes well when we open the tenders, we could see work starting in the new year. Some work is going on with the access to the site as we speak.' Williams said the left turn lane off Elmwood into the school's access road has been completed and there is road and storm sewer work being done, things that will make it easier for whatever construction company is awarded the tender.

'Once all the prep work is done, we should be able to catch up for a September 2014 opening.' Williams said the specifications for the building haven't changed since they were first made public.

The new regional school is being built to replace the 77-year-old Moncton High School on Church Street. The Church Street building, a beloved architectural icon of Moncton's city centre, was recently the subject of a request for proposals seeking a developer with the interest and the means to repurpose it as a private development of some sort. The RFP garnered only one response, from OMHS Holdings Inc. A number of committees are reviewing the submission.

Interesting that the tender is for the new "Moncton area regional high school". Are they leaving the door open to possibly renaming the high school? Hmmmmmm.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 12:40 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Let's just call it Boondoggle High and get it over with.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Let's just call it Boondoggle High and get it over with.
Boondoggle High or Boondocks High.....

Either way, there's a boon in there somewhere!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:36 PM

$48 million for a 2500 student capacity high school on the city's outskirts completely away from the majority of the city's population?

Gee, a $100 million 10,000 seat downtown event centre 500 meters away from city hall doesn't seem that expensive after all.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 7:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There are surveyors stakes all over the field on the east side of Harrisville Blvd here:

Perhaps the Kent Store (and associated commercial plaza) is closer to being built than we think.......

Also, I'm not sure, but just driving by, I think the foundation for the Fairfield Inn and Suites has been poured.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 2:00 PM
real estate blogger

As of yesterday, foundation for the Fairfield Inn is not yet complete. Curbing seems complete and some base paving is being done. There are some steel columns and such lying around.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 1:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, it's official, the land on the east side of Harrisville Blvd north of Veteran's Highway has been rezoned by Moncton city council. The anchor for this development has been named and it is confirmed that it is Kent.

Provisions of the rezoning include that the access roadway to the development must allign with the Marriott Dr intersection with Harrisville (the new road leading to the soon-to-be-constructed Fairfield Inn), and that a second access road must be constructed at the back of the development leading to Shediac Rd.

I imagine construction will begin in the spring.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces