HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 6:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The structural framing for the Fairfield Inn & Suites is starting to go up.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is a whole whack of modular components on site for the Fairfield Inn & Suites all ready to assembled. I betcha that when this thing starts to go up, it will be real quick.....

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 2:16 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

In the provincial capital works plans for 2013, there is a line item regarding $2.5M for upgrades at the interchange of Elmwood Dr with the TCH.

I wonder what they have planned there? The alignment is certainly odd, with strange off ramps and a fairly tight curve on the TCH itself. This could certainly be improved. In addition, some signalization on Elmwood Dr at the off ramps would certainly be helpful.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Dec 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 4:22 AM

The construction modules are being assembled at Fairfield Inn on Harrisville blvd. tonight. Already up to the 4th floor. It's like an instant building!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 3:06 PM
real estate blogger

Fairfield Inn pics

Recent pics of Fairfield Inn under construction:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10232...80630579564817

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 12:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Neat photo from the Vintage Moncton website showing the Sunnybrae Rink in it's full glory (c 1925) before the fire that destroyed the place.

The recent proposal to convert the Roman Coliseumesque ruins into a community gardens is intriguing and should be supported.

BTW, Vintage Moncton (http://vintagemoncton.com/) is a tremendous resource and also deserves our support!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 12:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They were talking on CBC radio this morning about the new "big box" development planned for Harrisville Blvd this summer.

They mentioned the Kent store and also stated that a new grocery store was to be built this year as well. We have known here on the forums for about the last two years about the proposed PlazaCorp development on Harrisville that is to include a Sobeys, so I presume this is what they are alluding to. This will be the seventh Sobeys in greater Moncton.

PlazaCorp owns a fair swatch of land off Harrisville so it will be interesting to see what ends up getting built there. If this development becomes more of a regional shopping destination rather than a neighbourhood shopping centre then we may have to switch discussion of this project to the Retail Thread.

The CBC said that Harrisville is attractive to commercial development because it is the last major piece of property available for retail development within the serviceable boundary of the city, it is immediately adjacent to Highway 15, will catch commuters on the way in from Shediac & Sackville and is also convenient to east end residents and residents of uptown Dieppe.

The CBC also said that major improvements to the Harrisville/Dieppe Blvd interchange with Route 15 including expansion of the off ramps will be made this summer to accomodate the development.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 4:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is the CBC.ca article concerning the Harrisville Blvd developments:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...lans-1050.html

Moncton eyes new retail development near airport

Proposed development will capitalize on commuters using Highway 15
CBC News Posted: Jan 2, 2013 11:09 AM AT Last Updated: Jan 2, 2013 11:05 AM AT

Moncton has designs on a new shopping complex near the Greater Moncton International Airport that could be a magnet for more big box stores.

Moncton and Dieppe have been luring major retail stores for several years which has turned the cities into shopping destinations.

Bill Budd, the executive director of the Greater Moncton Planning Commission, said a Marriott hotel and a Kent Building Supplies store will be constructed across from the airport this spring.

Budd said a grocery store is also expected to open next year.

“It's the beginning of what we think will be a commercial corridor, big box development area,” he said.

Budd said developers are hoping to cash in on all the commuters using Highway 15 to come to Moncton and Dieppe from the Shediac and Sackville areas.

Those two towns are among several communities in southeastern New Brunswick that saw a population increase between 2006 and 2011, according to the latest census.

Sackville saw a modest population increase of 2.7. However, Shediac is one of the province’s fastest growing towns and had a 13.8 per cent spike in population, according to the 2011 census.

Development plans

The regional planning commission will be making changes to ease some of the traffic congestion that already exists in the area.

Budd said major upgrades to the on and off-ramps are also planned to end the traffic problems around the proposed development.

Jacques Dubé, the city manager in Moncton, said the property next to the airport is also the last section of land that is still serviced by city water and sewer lines.

“So what's left over, what's the next beacon of hope in terms of the current serviceable boundary well it's certainly that whole Harrisville area,” Dubé said.

Dubé said as the north end of the city fills up, developers are looking to the east for additional opportunities to build retail stores.

The city manager said the planned hotel, grocery and hardware stores are expected to attract more big box type stores near the airport.

“I have to say it's difficult to juggle all the balls here in terms of development,” Dubé said

personal note - I think it is a bit of a stretch to say that this is actually the last bit of land available for retail commercial development within the serviceable boundary. There are still a couple of large parcels available along Mapleton Rd, and I have always thought the land on the south side of the TCH across from the Caledonia Industrial Park would also be attractive for developers. It would certainly have tremendous visibility from the highway!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 1:53 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is the T&T's take on future developments in the Harrisville area:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=10427

Harrisville poised for growth
Thursday, January 03, 2013
Times & Transcript
By: James Foster

Once mostly rural, Harrisville area to boast residential, commercial growth

Residential and commercial developers have long eyed the area bordered by the Veterans Highway (Route 15) and Shediac Road, from the Harrisville area eastward, as the next area for rapid growth in Moncton.

That growth will pick up momentum in 2013, according to planning director Bill Budd.

'I think you'll begin to see development activity there real soon,' Budd said Wednesday.

Budd said to expect some big commercial developments along Harrisville Boulevard to be announced in 2013.

That would come on the heels of two significant projects that got off the ground in 2012. Those two projects, a big hardware store and a sizeable hotel development, join a condo project that began south of Harrisville Boulevard in 2010 and a housing development that began in the late 2000s, sprouting homes in a for mer far m field west of the Trans-Canada Highway and north of Shediac Road that continues to draw the attention of home builders and buyers.

Even this morning workers are toiling at the site of a new Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott just off Harrisville Boulevard, a four-storey, 82-room development with meeting space, an indoor pool and waterslides. It is slated to open this year.

Kent Building Supplies has already received approval to build a new retail store on the east side of Harrisville Boulevard, near Veterans Highway and across from the new hotel. The new hardware store could see shovels in the ground this spring.

And for months it has been an open secret that Sobeys plans to erect a new store along Harrisville Boulevard, though the chain typically does not confir m expansions until they are well underway owing to the competitive nature of the grocery business.

At the other end of Harrisville Boulevard, on the north side of Shediac Road, a three-storey condo building is already up, with more condos slated for that area as demand warrants.

And a small strip mall was built two years ago on the northwest corner of Harrisville Boulevard and Shediac Road, which is mostly taken up by a very successful restaurant.

And now with two more bigticket commercial projects already in the works for the area, what was a mostly rural area less than a decade ago is expected to attract still other retail players, and more residential development as well. All of the land along Harrisville Boulevard is zoned either for commercial development or to accommodate higher density residential developments.

Budd can't go into detail as to which retailers are planning to set up shop in the neighbourhood - it's up to developers to make their own announcements - but the Harrisville Boulevard area could be poised for some big-box retail developments. The area has a long-standing residential sector, offering it a ready-made market, and the anticipated future residential growth around Shediac Road is expected to pick up where Moncton's exploding north end residential area will eventually taper off.

As well, the area is between two four-lane highways (Veterans Highway and the Trans-Canada,). It almost straddles the border with Dieppe, with its ever-growing commercial and high-density residential zone just a stone's throw away on the south side of Veterans Highway, which serves as the border between the two cities.

The two highways also offer easy access to residents in areas such as Shediac - the second-fastest growing town in New Brunswick - and beyond, with commuters from as far away as Richibucto and Sackville travelling to and from work in Moncton driving past its doorstep twice daily.

Further, the provincial government plans to upgrade the intersection of Harrisville Boulevard and Veterans Highway. Details of their plans have not yet been released.

Personal note - nothing new here, but it is yet another independent media confirmation quoting city hall staff as saying that there may be more big box announcements in the offing for Harrisville above and beyond Kent and Sobeys. I have always assumed that the Harrisville commercial development by PlazaCorp was intended to be a neighbourhood centre like Findlay Park in Riverview. Perhaps PlazaCorp is planning on something larger and more impressive.....

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 4:03 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is a close up image from the Plan Moncton document showing the commercial zoning along both sides of Harrisville Blvd between Rte 15 and the Shediac Rd.

The Fairfield Inn is being built on the land parcel to the west of Harrisville paralleling Rte 15. The access road to Harrisville from this project will be called Marriott Drive.

The Kent and Sobeys will be built on the land to the east of Harrisville, and access to this project will be from a roadway which will be immediately opposite Marriott Drive. I am pretty sure that this development will parallel Harrisville rather than Rte 15 as there were a lot of surveyors stakes in the ground here this fall. In addition, there is a requirement for a future access road to the development directly off Shediac Rd.

What will eventually happen to the commercial lands paralleling Rte 15 to the east of Harrisville Blvd is anyones guess.

I presume the intersection of Marriott Dr and the new access road leading to the PlazaCorp development with Harrisville will be signalized. I really hope that the province doesn't cheap out on the improvements to the on and off ramps from Rte 15!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 7:06 AM

I heard the Sobeys is a relocation of the Champlain Place store and that the Kent is a relocation of the Champlain Street store. Both are pretty outdated and small.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 12:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I heard the Sobeys is a relocation of the Champlain Place store and that the Kent is a relocation of the Champlain Street store. Both are pretty outdated and small.
The Harrisville Kent store will definitely be a relocation of the store on Champlain St. I gather that PlazaCorp now owns the Champlain St property and has plans to expand their adjacent retail plaza.

I have often wondered about the future of the Champlain Place Sobeys as I find it rather incongruous to have a grocery store in an upscale fashion mall but several knowledgeable people that I have been in communication with seem to feel that there are no plans to move this store. One person even suggested the store was to be renovated and expanded.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 1:38 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Harrisville Kent store will definitely be a relocation of the store on Champlain St. I gather that PlazaCorp now owns the Champlain St property and has plans to expand their adjacent retail plaza.

I have often wondered about the future of the Champlain Place Sobeys as I find it rather incongruous to have a grocery store in an upscale fashion mall but several knowledgeable people that I have been in communication with seem to feel that there are no plans to move this store. One person even suggested the store was to be renovated and expanded.
I don't think the mall location will move...the other Paul st location however...that location I would bet is now the smallest in the area, and could end up on the chopping block in lieu of a much grander Harrisville locale.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 6:21 AM

In my opinion I would see the Sobeys Champlain store relocate to the the Harrisville areand that would pave the way to The Bay to set up shop ih the Champlain Place mall and at that point it would make it a true fashion mall .

But I am no expert in the matter but that would be my logic.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 2:24 PM

I don't think the small Sobeys (besides NB Liquor Dieppe) is moving anytime soon. I've heard that it's very profitable. It was also renovated in the last few years

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 2:34 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I wouldn't be so quick to say that one of the Sobeys by Champlain Place will close. At first glance, it's pretty silly having two stores within a 3 minute walk of each other, but both stores are always quite busy. I think they cater to different a different customer base as well. The Regis St store seems to appeal to locals in downtown Dieppe, whereas Champlain draws people from further afield. It's interesting how much more francophone the Regis St crowd is compared to Champlain for example, being as close as they are.

One thing I wonder though is why they keep the larger one open 24/7. I think it's important to have at least some services like that available 24 hours a day, but it seems like total overkill to have that massive store open for the 30 customers an hour they probably deal with between 11pm and 7am. It would make a lot more sense to just use the smaller one.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 2:47 PM

I haven't been in either store for a long time, but it may make more sense to have the bigger store 24/7 because it has more people in it 24/7. And I don't mean shoppers.

Between the stockers, cleaners and bakers, there are probably more people around to keep the store together. The night shift usually only needs 1 or 2 cashiers (who may be cross-trained stockers), so it's not that many more people than they already have around, and there's generally enough for them to do.

The smaller store on the other hand, probably doesn't need as many people in through the overnight, so it would lead to more down time and/or extra people on the payroll than it would otherwise need.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 6:05 PM

new court

Anyone know what the new court off Melba St is? It is on GEO NB and the new Moncton Zoning map but no name. Probably another apple? lol

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 6:48 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Does anyone know how that new name bank for new streets is supposed to work? Are developers required to choose from it or is it just something they're encouraged to do?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 7:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Does anyone know how that new name bank for new streets is supposed to work? Are developers required to choose from it or is it just something they're encouraged to do?
I think they are only encouraged to used the name bank. I don't think it is mandatory......

So, if you want to name that new street in your recently proposed subdivision after your recently deceased dog "Fido", you of course can (subject to city approval).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces