HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 12:13 AM
ハルウララ

I'd hate to turn this thread into merely speculation, but..

Heard a rumour that Macy's will be replacing Sears at Mcallister today. Not sure how much, if any, legitimacy there is to that. The nearest Macy's location is in Bangor, ME, and as far as I can tell they do not have any Canadian locations.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Heard a rumour that Macy's will be replacing Sears at Mcallister today. Not sure how much, if any, legitimacy there is to that. The nearest Macy's location is in Bangor, ME, and as far as I can tell they do not have any Canadian locations.
There might be more truth to this than we know - here's a link to the Financial Post article in January about Sears poor results and selling leases back to landlords. Apparently Macys and Noordstrum are looking to Canada but can't find space. Macy's would be a great hit for Saint John and would draw in shoppers from Moncton I suspect.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...circling-soon/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:14 AM

Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread but Bourbon Quarter has posted tonight on their Facebook page that they are reopening....

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 7:00 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Don't discount Sears yet. It's been in the Saint John market for eons, and seems to do okay here. If you're right, and they decide to leave, I'm sure Macy's could work.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
Don't discount Sears yet. It's been in the Saint John market for eons, and seems to do okay here. If you're right, and they decide to leave, I'm sure Macy's could work.
I agree that the SJ store certainly seems to be viable but from what I read it is more a question of Sears Canada in general being a viable entity.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 12:48 PM

I've never been inside a Macy's that wasn't in the middle of the downtown core of a large city, do they have suburban/box store locations as well?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I've never been inside a Macy's that wasn't in the middle of the downtown core of a large city, do they have suburban/box store locations as well?
Many of them are in suburban malls

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:20 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
The two Macy's that i've visited were Lenox Square in Atlanta and Florida Mall in Orlando, both of which are very suburban mallish.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 4:15 PM

Quote:
The Macy's in Bangor is just a regular box... Same as the ones I've been to in Metarie, Louisana and Santa Clarita, California. This is what most of their stores are. The "downtown core" locations are actually quite rare.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 7:00 PM

I guess it's a function of how I travel that I've never seen the box store version. I usually just go to other cities and walk around, never had much of a reason to go to the suburbs.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 11:57 PM

Photos I shot of activity at the new East Saint John Target Store. They are putting steal pilings in, could this mean that the new store will be larger than the old Zeller's store?

IMG_0503 by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

IMG_0502 by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

IMG_0510 by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

IMG_0508 by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

IMG_0507 by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

Last edited by Wolkenkratzerliebhab; Mar 4, 2013 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
Photos I shot of activity at the new East Saint John Target Store. They are putting steal pilings in, could this mean that the new store will be larger than the old Zeller's store?
Yes - As mentioned a while back, there will be a 10,000 sq ft addition.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Yes - As mentioned a while back, there will be a 10,000 sq ft addition.
Thanks, now I know! {:o)

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 12:59 PM

I don't know who said that Macy's is opening in SJ, but they are surely mistaken. Macy's has no plan to open in Canada, and if they do they will open in Toronto for a couple of years before expanding elsewhere in Canada. As for Nordstrom they will start opening in the fall of 2014 in Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver. Nordstrom is very high end and will require a very large & well-off population, it will never open in the Maritimes. Maybe in Halifax and that's a big IF.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
I don't know who said that Macy's is opening in SJ, but they are surely mistaken. Macy's has no plan to open in Canada, and if they do they will open in Toronto for a couple of years before expanding elsewhere in Canada. As for Nordstrom they will start opening in the fall of 2014 in Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver. Nordstrom is very high end and will require a very large & well-off population, it will never open in the Maritimes. Maybe in Halifax and that's a big IF.
I was the one who posted the FP article suggesting that Sears locations may be of interest to Macys or Nordstrom - I didn't say they were opening - I don't sit on their board! Macy's in my opinion would be a viable alternative to Sears - similar demographic pull etc. Here's the paragraph from the FP.

"Poor results just make Sears Canada a more likely candidate for retailers who are keen to enter or expand in this market, she added, saying the company occupies many sought-after locations that could be of interest to Nordstrom or Macy’s. “There are so many U.S. retailers who are looking to come up and they can’t find space.”

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
I was the one who posted the FP article suggesting that Sears locations may be of interest to Macys or Nordstrom - I didn't say they were opening - I don't sit on their board! Macy's in my opinion would be a viable alternative to Sears - similar demographic pull etc. Here's the paragraph from the FP
I didn't mean who said this on the thread, I meant who said this in the media. Anyway, Macy's never said it wanted to open in Canada. The only thing currently going on with Macy's and Canada is online shopping, as Canadians are now able to shop online at the Macy's website. As for Nordstrom, I already made my comment on that topic and there is nothing else to add.

Macy's is not coming to SJ, and that is 110% sure.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:19 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean who said this on the thread, I meant who said this in the media. Anyway, Macy's never said it wanted to open in Canada. The only thing currently going on with Macy's and Canada is online shopping, as Canadians are now able to shop online at the Macy's website. As for Nordstrom, I already made my comment on that topic and there is nothing else to add.

I guess we now know! I still think that if Sears Canada did "sell their leases" etc that Macy's would be a great alternative - solid, middle class retailer with a proven track record in "small town America". Sorry I misunderstood your post - the link to the article is in my first post - I beleive she was saying "could be" of interest - no one said they were coming.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:40 PM

Macy's is not doing very well nor very bad in the US; well compared to Target anyway. Net income of Target last year was over 3 times Macy's bottom line. This is one of the reason Target is coming here; it's doing well over in the US. A struggling retailer doesn't usually expand when they are on shaky grounds in their own country. Nordstrom is doing well in the States, hence it's expansion here, even if it's a small expansion (4 stores), all 4 stores will be located in some of Canada's largest cities and located in prime real estate locations to say the least... (very profitable & high traffic malls); Pacific Centre, Chinook Centre, Rideau Centre, Sherway Gardens.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Mar 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 7:17 PM

Quote:

Does one get the feeling that if the rumor was that Moncton/Dieppe was getting the first Macy's in Canada there wouldn't be a post saying I'm 110% sure that it wasn't gonna happen. How does anyone know what Macy's plans are.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 7:34 PM

Honestly, someone saying Moncton/Dieppe getting Canada's first Macy's would probably get as skeptical reaction as saying Saint John is getting it. Even suggestiong Halifax would be first would get a skeptic reaction. Historically, the Maritimes just aren't the first stop for US businesses setting up, so claiming it comes with a rather large grain of salt. Especially since the nearest Macy's currently to us might be Portland or Boston even.

It is possible, but it's very doubtful that it would happen. More likely we'd see a wholesale store swap much like Target/Zellers, and even then the first openings would probably be in Ontario as usual.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces