HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
I noticed today that concrete was poured next to KFC. It looks to have a footprint the size of a small restaurant (Wendy's etc). Any ideas? Another parcell of land was sold recently on Millenium Dr. up near the old Lane furniture site. Hopefully this will be something more in line with what they had originally planned for the area.
What were the original plans Hb?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 6:42 PM

Starbucks

Anyone know if there are plans for a starbucks in the valley and where it's going ?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 2:25 AM

The building going up next to the KFC is the China Wok. They were located in that tiny strip mall next to Pizza Delight/Scholtens. They've put up signage confirming this. It seems like a huge jump for a restaurant of that scale/stature. They do have the best egg rolls though, IMHO.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 12:56 PM

Land in front of Shannex

Does anyone have any information as to what they are building in front of Shannex or across from the "McEsso". Rather large piece of land preped and ready for something. I know that it is owned by Cobalt Properties.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
Does anyone have any information as to what they are building in front of Shannex or across from the "McEsso". Rather large piece of land preped and ready for something. I know that it is owned by Cobalt Properties.
It was in the TJ on Saturday (page B6) that it's going to be "an Irving gas bar and several retail units". The space is apparently going to include "drive-thru food vendors."

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 12:15 PM

[QUOTE=CdnEh;5995781]I agree. Compare GBW to St Stephen or Sussex. GBW has almost 1000 more residents than either of these towns, yet has hardly ANYTHING.

Unfortunately, comparing St Stephen / Sussex to GBW is not a good example. Both of those communities reside well outside larger Urban areas; whereas, GBW's close proximity to the West side of Saint John directly impacts the # of buisnesses located in GBW.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 6:11 PM

[QUOTE=It's unfortunate the town has those infrastructure limitations for Col. Nase as this seems to be hindering the growth. There has been a sense in the town for a while, there are certain groups in the town who are not so much pro GB-W development due to wanting to maintain the "small town atmosphere", so I'm wondering how much of that is playing a role here...[/QUOTE]

There seems to be a lot of confusion & misinformation floating around regarding the infrastructure charge that has been implemented for properties adjacent to Col Nase Blvd in GBW. Despite what some believe, the infrastructure charge itself is not the reason for lack of development along Col Nase Blvd; rather, it is the way it is the way the existing property owners are attempting to apply it that is. Also, while there may be some in the community that want to maintain the "small town atmposhpere", I certainly don't believe the Town itself has not adopted that position, and you need look no further than their investment in the construction of Col Nase Blvd for proof of that. Allow me to provide some context and background information to help explain my points.

Col Nase Blvd is a fully serviced road that was constructed with funding from all three-(3) levels of government to open up roughly 400 acres of land for both commercial / residential development in GBW. It cost approximately $6 million dollars to build this road, of which, 1/3 of the funding was a direct investment from the Town of GBW itself.

The property’s through which Col Nase Blvd was built are owned by several different owners that have owned this land for quite some time. Prior to the roads construction, an independent appraisal of the land surrounding this Blvd indicated that the land had an estimated market value of around $1200 per acre – simply because the land was largely inaccessible. After the Blvd was constructed, a new independent appraisal indicated that the estimated market values of these properties had increased to between $67,000 to $82,000 per acre. As you can see this is a very significant increase in the market value of these properties – with no direct investment by the existing property owners themselves.

The Town decided it was only fair to attempt to recoup some of the funding that it had invested in this road by applying an infrastructure charge of around $450 per meter to the properties that are directly adjacent to Col Nase Blvd. The infastructure charge would be collected once the properties were subdivided for development. This unit price was determined by taking a portion of the Town’s investment in the construction of this road and dividing it by the length of the total road frontage. In an effort to help provide an incentive to the existing property owners to sell and/or develop their land, the Town also adopted the following conditions to the infrastructure charge:

• If the property owner sells their entire property, without subdividing, the infrastructure charge would not apply. The fee is only applicable when the property is subdivided.

• The property owner is permitted to subdivide their existing property and allocate one lot to be exempt from the infrastructure charge (regardless of size).

• Property that is not directly adjacent to the Blvd is not subject to the infrastructure charge. The cost of building the infrastructure to access that land would the responsibility of the developer.

Unfortunately, there have been a number of development opportunities that have not panned out along Col Nase Blvd over the past couple of years because the existing property owners have decided & attempted to apply the infrastructure charge as an additional cost over and above the significantly increased estimated market values of their properties. By adding the infrastructure charge on top of the properties estimated market value, it has made the property purchase price unattractive/unrealistic for any potential developers to buy. The Town’s position has been that the existing property owners should be deducting the infrastructure charge from the estimated market value of the property – which if done would still represent a very significant financial gain to the existing owners from what the property was worth just a few years ago.

I am sure that the lack of development to date along Col Nase Blvd can be attributed, in part, to the stalemate between the Town and the existing property owners on how the infrastructure charge should be applied to the purchase price for the land; however, some of it is also likely the result of the unfortunate economic circumstances our region has been faced with since it’s construction. Regardless, I am very confident that there will be positive development news along Col Nase Blvd in the near future, and that once development starts, it will continue.

Anyway – that is the (long winded) low down on the Col Nase Blvd quagmire in GBW. Hope it helps. :-)

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasD View Post
I am sure that the lack of development to date along Col Nase Blvd can be attributed, in part, to the stalemate between the Town and the existing property owners on how the infrastructure charge should be applied to the purchase price for the land; however, some of it is also likely the result of the unfortunate economic circumstances our region has been faced with since it’s construction. Regardless, I am very confident that there will be positive development news along Col Nase Blvd in the near future, and that once development starts, it will continue.
Thanks DouglasD. Appreciate you taking the time to outline what's been going on here. As a former long-time resident of GBW (born and raised and my parents still live there), I still am very much interested in the growth of the town and its prosperity. I am one of those however who believe GBW has been lacking in it's potential for development and in the last 10 years, it has been stagnant. I had been hoping with the opening up of Col. Nase, this would change, so it has been disappointing to see nothing taking place after the town especially spoke so highly of the new opportunities.

I'm wondering now on how likely this stalemate between the town and property owners is going to be resolved as it is approaching on 2 years since the new road opened. Do you have a sense there is something in the works? I sense you do since you said you were "very confident" there will be positive development in the near future. Just wondering how much of your confidence is based on fact vs. an intuitive sense it will all work out. Thanks again.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 5:20 PM

China Wok up and running and it seems to be doing good, Building looks nice, I'll post a pic later next week

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 3:46 PM

Well the drive thru Tims is gone in the valley I wonder what will be going there if anything? Sure whish someone would bulldoze the store at the end of Clark Rd, that place is a fire waiting to happen .

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 4:45 PM

Unfortunately, St.Hubert's Express in Rothesay will be closing in September. It wasn't one of my favorites but I hate to see a business fail - not to mention it means my daughter will be losing her job after working there since it opened. It was her first job - it gave her some good work/life experience.

I always felt it was a risky business move to open 2 locations so close together without at least 'testing' the market first with just one restaurant.

Hopefully something will fill the space quickly - its a rather prominent spot to be sitting vacant.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabien View Post
Unfortunately, St.Hubert's Express in Rothesay will be closing in September. It wasn't one of my favorites but I hate to see a business fail - not to mention it means my daughter will be losing her job after working there since it opened. It was her first job - it gave her some good work/life experience.

I always felt it was a risky business move to open 2 locations so close together without at least 'testing' the market first with just one restaurant.

Hopefully something will fill the space quickly - its a rather prominent spot to be sitting vacant.
I always thought it was weird that we don't have the full service one East From the get-go, I didn't think the Express one was going to last in Rothesay. Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge St-Hubert fan and all, but like you said - having two locations so close to each other so quick, wasn't the best idea. However, I think they would do much better within the city, if they switched from the "Express" concept to the Full Service one.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 6:29 PM

I always found the Express restaurant model for St. Hubert a little strange myself, not surprised they're having troubles with it.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 6:47 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
I always thought it was weird that we don't have the full service one East From the get-go, I didn't think the Express one was going to last in Rothesay. Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge St-Hubert fan and all, but like you said - having two locations so close to each other so quick, wasn't the best idea. However, I think they would do much better within the city, if they switched from the "Express" concept to the Full Service one.
Yeah, it was a puzzling decision that was probably made by someone based in Quebec looking at a population map. The Valley may have a decent concentration of residents, but McAllister is so effortless to get to from there that any duplication of mid-tier and higher retail/restaurant franchises in those two areas is going to result in too much cannibalization.

IMO, the first franchise in the St-Hubert/Swiss Chalet/Scores/Boston Pizza/East Side Mario's/etc restaurant class to move on a West Side location would do very well.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 2:15 PM

I think there are too many good cooks in the Saint John area?
Not many folks enjoy going out for dinner. They all must be home cooking??
I look at Halifax, St. John's and Moncton even Bangor and most of the dinning areas are full.
Not so much in Saint John. I travel every week all over and don't get out a lot in my home town........maybe once a week?
If we don't support these places they will close.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabien View Post

Quite honestly, the fact that they expanded in the ROC a second time was a big risk altogether. The St-Hubert Express perhaps was not the best concept to pull it off but on the same token allowed them to minimize the loss in case of failure. St-Hubert is a not a natural in the ROC market as Swiss Chalet was not a natural in the Quebec scene. Of course, there are some exceptions such as Moncton where the brand was better known in the french community and on top of that is a full restaurant/pub concept. Between the lines, they put their expansion out of Quebec on hold.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 11:23 AM

The Irving in GB/Westfield has closed the service bays.
It has ripped out the floor and put in two new retail locations.
These should be available by months end if they haven't been rented already?
This wouldn't normally be big news but for this area....it is big.
This area gets over looked and passed over all the time.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
I think there are too many good cooks in the Saint John area?
Not many folks enjoy going out for dinner. They all must be home cooking??
I look at Halifax, St. John's and Moncton even Bangor and most of the dinning areas are full.
Not so much in Saint John. I travel every week all over and don't get out a lot in my home town........maybe once a week?
If we don't support these places they will close.
Alternatively, maybe there are too many restaurants given the dining habits of the residents. It was posted in another thread that there are now 5 Sushi places in Saint John. I don't know if that counts places like the Rothesay Superstore which also sells Sushi. Is everyone supposed to stop eating cooked food at home until there are 50 Sushi restaurants in the city? There is an onus for business owners to research the need for their business before opening, and not be a Lemming and just replicate what is working for someone else. The main comment I heard in the Valley when it became known that St. Hubert's was opening, was "I don't know why we need another chicken place in the valley".

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:36 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The R-Plex is happening. Stay tuned, the S-Plex might be just around the corner too...

Quote:
Rothesay moves ahead with own recreation complex
Town will demolish Scott Avenue apartments before it builds new arena and updates existing rink
CBC News
Posted: Aug 20, 2013 11:56 AM AT
Last Updated: Aug 20, 2013 11:52 AM AT

Rothesay council has agreed in principle to build a new arena and convert its existing rink, built in 1972, to a multi-purpose recreation complex for basketball, volleyball, tennis, indoor soccer and other activities.

The working budget for the project is $13 million, including the new building and renovations.

The new facility will feature an indoor walking track and a full-size ice surface, and will be constructed while the existing arena continues to operate to avoid scheduling problems on the ice.

In order to make room for the structure, the town plans to demolish two low-income properties on Scott Avenue, which it previously purchased for $1.1 million.

On Monday, residents received notice they will need to leave by April.

Daren Lank, one of the buildings' tenants, has questions about the need for another recreation facility in the Kennebecasis Valley, because the town of Quispamsis already runs a multi-purpose recreation centre known as the Qplex.

"Why build another Qplex when you have one up the road from there? It's craziness is all it is," said Lank.

Rothesay council said it would help all tenants move to new affordable housing in the area, but Lank said he doesn't want to leave.

"I'm gonna stay. That's where I should live the rest of my life — not somebody else telling me I have to move. Just because it's the town of Rothesay, it don't make sense to me."

Construction for the new arena is expected to start next summer and take eight to 10 months to complete. Renovations to the existing building will follow shortly after.

Once the new facility is in operation, the ice-making equipment in the existing building will be removed, a new multi-purpose floor installed, and a series of upgrades started to re-purpose the building. A connecting corridor will be built between the completed buildings.

The town had considered an earlier project with a new field house, running track, fitness facility and a variety of meeting rooms and multi-use spaces but Bishop said the costs were considered excessive with a preliminary estimate of about $25 million.
Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...a.html?cmp=rss

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:59 PM
ハルウララ

So, they're not adding to the number of ice surfaces and they're falling into the same problem that Quispamsis has had with their facility (high costs, low revenue) without actually alleviating any of the problems that building a new arena is supposed to solve (ice-time, room for kids). $13 Mil down the drain . Talk about caving in to pressure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces