HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Lincoln Park 2520 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 3:55 PM
tilted & shifted

It looks like they are pouring the 9th or 10th floor.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
It looks like they are pouring the 9th or 10th floor.
Yeah this one is definitely getting up there and quickly. At this rate I would say this one will pass Ritz in no time! I took a quick picture with my camera from LSD on my way home yesterday but I dont know how to upload a pic!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 4:24 PM
tilted & shifted

- Upload the photo to a hosting website like Photobucket or Imageshack

- Copy and past the image code here [img]blahblah.jpg[/img]

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:24 PM

Not the best pic but it is something! I took this yesterday while driving on LSD. So just to confirm....Lincoln Park 2520 will be taller than the surrounded buildings around it correct?
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 2:05 AM
BANNED

^^^ It will actually be about as tall as the two buildings to the right.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ It will actually be about as tall as the two buildings to the right.
Oh ok....it will still be a nice addition to the Lincoln Park skyline! Now if only the rest of the gaps in the wall could get filled with towers this size that would be amazing to see!!!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 1:28 PM

I was driving on Stockton drive last night and couldn't believe how wide this building is. It was definitely nice to see construction of that magnitude back in Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 3:18 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Oh ok....it will still be a nice addition to the Lincoln Park skyline! Now if only the rest of the gaps in the wall could get filled with towers this size that would be amazing to see!!!
Don't hold your breath. In light of the pervasive NIMBYism in Lincoln Park, a highrise will not be constructed on Lakeview in the foreseeable future. It's going to take a demographic shift under which the old fogies are replaced by younger people who are more amenable to tall buildings.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Don't hold your breath. In light of the pervasive NIMBYism in Lincoln Park, a highrise will not be constructed on Lakeview in the foreseeable future. It's going to take a demographic shift under which the old fogies are replaced by younger people who are more amenable to tall buildings.
Even with a demographic shift it's still hard to see --- most of the land on that stretch is either occupied by condo/co-op units, for which there is little precedent of redevelopment, or the block long stretch owned by the tax-exempt Francis Parker school so they can have a fenced-in field on absurdly valuable lakefront property.

A new generation of younger owners may be more amenable to density than the older crowd, but it's hard to see yuppie families tolerating either a) having their building bought out or especially b) their kids not having a large field to practice soccer on. Remember, the younger generation are the ones who bankrolled the soccer field in the publicly-owned park, originally for the primary benefit of Latin School.

The scarcity of large developable parcels is exactly why this development and it's low floor-area-ratio and unit count is such a disappointment, and why the ongoing battle to redevelop Lincoln Park Hospital and eventually the various Children's Memorial parcels is so important: these are the only chances for the next few decades to do anything substantial in East Lincoln Park. To the north, there is the large parcel on Sheridan that the Wirtz's will eventually build a highrise on, and there are some empty lakefront parcels at Wellington that are zoned and marketed as sites for single family mansions. To the south, the only possibilities along Clark would be to assemble a large number of consecutive parcels that are of extremely high value as SFHs --- and that's before the zoning and landmarks battle, since those parcels have some very well preserved Italianate rowhouses that probably ideally wouldn't be demolished anyway. That's about it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 7:43 PM
The City

^ Time to head south.

Reality is, there are only so many highrises you can force down the throat of millionaires. I'm waiting for a boom along the south lakefront, if it ever happens in my lifetime.

Regarding LP 2520, even if it's not dense in unit count, at least it's a visually large building, and that's important too. I don't like too many gaps along the north lakefront wall of highrises.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 8:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Time to head south.

Reality is, there are only so many highrises you can force down the throat of millionaires. I'm waiting for a boom along the south lakefront, if it ever happens in my lifetime.
We already saw a south lakefront highrise boom this past decade, it just didn't reach past I-55, but it lengthened the skyline by about two miles. I expect the next boom will add another two miles and we'll see Bronzeville develop and link up Hyde Park and Kenwood with the rest of the non-bombed out parts of town...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
To the north, there is the large parcel on Sheridan that the Wirtz's will eventually build a highrise on
Where, and what have they said about it?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Where, and what have they said about it?
http://www.emporis.com/application/?...chicago-il-usa

...which has approvals that are good for another 15 years, at least, so I'd be surprised if they don't get something built eventually.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Even with a demographic shift it's still hard to see --- most of the land on that stretch is either occupied by condo/co-op units, for which there is little precedent of redevelopment, or the block long stretch owned by the tax-exempt Francis Parker school so they can have a fenced-in field on absurdly valuable lakefront property.

A new generation of younger owners may be more amenable to density than the older crowd, but it's hard to see yuppie families tolerating either a) having their building bought out or especially b) their kids not having a large field to practice soccer on. Remember, the younger generation are the ones who bankrolled the soccer field in the publicly-owned park, originally for the primary benefit of Latin School.

The scarcity of large developable parcels is exactly why this development and it's low floor-area-ratio and unit count is such a disappointment, and why the ongoing battle to redevelop Lincoln Park Hospital and eventually the various Children's Memorial parcels is so important: these are the only chances for the next few decades to do anything substantial in East Lincoln Park. To the north, there is the large parcel on Sheridan that the Wirtz's will eventually build a highrise on, and there are some empty lakefront parcels at Wellington that are zoned and marketed as sites for single family mansions. To the south, the only possibilities along Clark would be to assemble a large number of consecutive parcels that are of extremely high value as SFHs --- and that's before the zoning and landmarks battle, since those parcels have some very well preserved Italianate rowhouses that probably ideally wouldn't be demolished anyway. That's about it.
The only way that more of these types of developments can occur is if people begin to understand the values inherent in density. Urban properity depends on having strong tax base and enough pouplation to support the commerce which builds the economic base.Unfortunately, people rarely voice their opinions for the pro-develkopment viewpoint other than in forums such as this.

Until people who get these concepts are willing to advocate them in public, the "old-guard" residents entrenched in their antiquated views will win the favors of local government. There are few government officials willing to take on the anti-development folks because they don't see or hear the soices of support.

What we need to ask (and answer) is how to get pro-development voices to speak out even when they have no direct interest in a particular development.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 1:50 AM

Builder, I love your thinking!!! I was just getting ready to ask that question in another thread when I read something about 600 NIMBY's signing a petition to show their opposition towards a little dense development. I was curious on how would that fan out if supporters got together and signed petitions and had a representative to show our support for these types of developments instead of just chatting about it on websites like this. I've spoken with my alderman before and she said that the only residents she ever hears are the ones who complain about certain developments (someone actually complained that a stripmall was too dense) but she never hears much from supporters. Would it really matter if the supporter is from that particular neighborhood in order to get a project to go through?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 2:24 AM
TL;DR

Bear in mind that he is the developer of that very project.

I've got no problem with developers, architects, and contractors advocating for more development - as long as they aren't trying to create "astroturf" support for their own projects.

Honestly, it would be great if Chicagoans turned their activism from NO DEVELOPMENT to BETTER DEVELOPMENT. Demanding more graceful architecture, less parking, more greenspace, better street-level interaction, affordable housing units, bike rooms/bike parking, etc.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 2:21 PM

Site tour

11-28

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 6:01 PM

Thanks for the update photos. Impressive that they are up to 10 now. I think the last time I went by it was maybe on the 6th floor a little over a month ago.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 4:05 PM
dream fast

^Great progress shots, JMT. I was wondering how this was developing.^

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Bear in mind that he is the developer of that very project.

I've got no problem with developers, architects, and contractors advocating for more development - as long as they aren't trying to create "astroturf" support for their own projects.

Honestly, it would be great if Chicagoans turned their activism from NO DEVELOPMENT to BETTER DEVELOPMENT. Demanding more graceful architecture, less parking, more greenspace, better street-level interaction, affordable housing units, bike rooms/bike parking, etc.
Yes, I am the developer of Webster Square (and proud of it). I am also a strong advocate for better development, not simply more development.

The simple truth is, projects get better with more objective input. To that end, I invited a group of 12 Chicago architects to review our proposal and give us critical feedback prior to re-releasing to the community. It was the first time I had that much outside attention at this early stage of a project, and no question, we are better of for having done it.

People who support smart development need to be heard. I don;t know how to do it the right way every time, but we try to get better - continually refining our process and our products.

Anyone who has ideas, please feel free...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive