HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 5:44 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Well it looks like The Unicorn pub has found a new home. They are taking over the space occupied by Libertine Public House and Below Deck in the basement. I am really curious about the business end of things. Were Libertine and Below Deck part of the same group as The Unicorn? I wonder if they were facing financial hardship as Libertine was named one of the top Gastropubs and Beer Halls in this months Avenue Magazine.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...o-calgary.html

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 7:18 PM

A friend of mine used to work at the Unicorn and they said Libertine and Below Deck were owned by the same person.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Halifax-based King of Donair is looking at opening a permanent location in Calgary after hundreds waited more than five hours for a taste of shaved meat and sweet sauce at a pop-up shop in Kensington last week.
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...lgary-location

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 9:17 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
This should be a no brainer!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Well it looks like The Unicorn pub has found a new home. They are taking over the space occupied by Libertine Public House and Below Deck in the basement. I am really curious about the business end of things. Were Libertine and Below Deck part of the same group as The Unicorn? I wonder if they were facing financial hardship as Libertine was named one of the top Gastropubs and Beer Halls in this months Avenue Magazine.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...o-calgary.html
Libertine, Below Deck and The Unicorn were all owned by the same ownership group - the "superpub" concept is just a new branding idea.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 12:56 AM

Just found out that Analog is opening up a location in BVS. Bad news is that it won't be open until June.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 9:20 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Just found out that Analog is opening up a location in BVS. Bad news is that it won't be open until June.
I guess to an extent they have to keep up with Monogram. Their 5th Avenue Place space is gorgeous. I am interested to see what Analog will do at BVS.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I guess to an extent they have to keep up with Monogram. Their 5th Avenue Place space is gorgeous. I am interested to see what Analog will do at BVS.
Huh? Where are they in 5th Ave Place? I walk through there multiple times a day and have never seen it. I know I'm a tad clueless, but never thought I was this clueless.

Analog is opening up in the food court in BVS in what used to be Le Prep. So I suspect it will be something similar to their farmer's market location.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 3:58 PM

It's on the main floor, west side, facing 2nd St.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:41 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I'm sure everybody is dying to know what's happening on Main Street Turner Valley where the two vacant buildings were demolished this week. I found out, and am ridiculously excited that it's going to be a brewery specializing in traditional German styles! The initial three beers will be a hefe, a pilsner (SW Germany-style, not Bohemian), and an altbier.

The LAB Variety Store and Home Hardware have been empty for probably half of my life (I was born in the 80s) so this is a HUGE deal for our main street, which is downright depressing compared with that of our evil twin, Black Diamond. But now we have Eau Claire Distillery and soon a brewery practically next door to it. Not to mention a pretty great burrito trailer (Motoburrito) and plans to redevelop the community hall (Flare and Derrick) area, and for the first time in my life things are actually happening here!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I'm sure everybody is dying to know what's happening on Main Street Turner Valley where the two vacant buildings were demolished this week. I found out, and am ridiculously excited that it's going to be a brewery specializing in traditional German styles! The initial three beers will be a hefe, a pilsner (SW Germany-style, not Bohemian), and an altbier.

The LAB Variety Store and Home Hardware have been empty for probably half of my life (I was born in the 80s) so this is a HUGE deal for our main street, which is downright depressing compared with that of our evil twin, Black Diamond. But now we have Eau Claire Distillery and soon a brewery practically next door to it. Not to mention a pretty great burrito trailer (Motoburrito) and plans to redevelop the community hall (Flare and Derrick) area, and for the first time in my life things are actually happening here!
That is great to hear. I will definitely make a road trip for that. The Eau Claire Distillery is awesome, but it would be good if they also had some more food options.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert View Post
It's on the main floor, west side, facing 2nd St.
Thanks, I'll check that out today.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:56 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggopher View Post
That is great to hear. I will definitely make a road trip for that. The Eau Claire Distillery is awesome, but it would be good if they also had some more food options.
I still miss Route 40. It would fit right in with a place like that.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:38 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
This is great to hear. Much too often villages and towns focus on developing highway commercial and competing for a finite amount of travellers rather than making themselves a destination for locals, travellers and tourists. If Turner Valley and Black Diamond are investing in their high street, all the best to both!
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 3:19 PM

Stopped by the Cluck n Cleaver on 14th St last night. Will give it another go soon but for first impressions, possibly the best fried chicken in the city now IMO.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 3:21 PM

14th Street is quickly turning into a fried chicken corridor!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 3:59 PM
City Maker

While I enjoyed it Cluck N Cleaver and think it is undoubtedly better than KFC/Mary Brown's, I wasn't blown away.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
While I enjoyed it Cluck N Cleaver and think it is undoubtedly better than KFC/Mary Brown's, I wasn't blown away.
Previously, I would've said Olive was the best (the 10th Ave location in particular) but this was right up there. The chicken was tender, full of flavour, and they didn't overdo it on the batter unlike some other places.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro View Post
Previously, I would've said Olive was the best (the 10th Ave location in particular) but this was right up there. The chicken was tender, full of flavour, and they didn't overdo it on the batter unlike some other places.
Agreed. Haven't tried C&C's rotisserie yet, but hope to soon. They've done well with the skin on the fried chicken, somehow getting it both super crispy and reasonably light.

Not sure why the Olive on 10th is so much better than the one on 17th -- I went to the latter only once and was distinctly unimpressed. 10th had always been great.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 2:56 AM

The Dairy Bar in Ramsay is turning into a place called Bruhe. I was hoping it was a really small brew pub but alas it a broth bar. There goes the neighbourhood.

http://www.integranaturopathics.com/contact/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation