HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 11:44 PM

That is a great question .... I have no idea. Sioux falls has a much greater reach than what is shown by the metro. Iowa should be added....they are always here lol.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 1:00 AM

I grew up in Sioux Falls for most of my childhood. I moved when I was 12. I remember the city well, back in 1994. I lived on North Dakota Ave. off of Minnesota Ave. I haven't been back in 13 years, if anyone has the time I'd appreciate if someone took pictures of that area and the city in general (Hawthorne Elem area too). My old stomping grounds!

Has the Sioux Empire mall expanded any? When I was leaving Sioux Falls I did notice a lot of construction on 41st ave. Of course that was over a decade ago.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csandste View Post

Question:

Can you tell me why the census bureau added two western counties to the Sioux Falls MSA and didn't add Rock and Lyon? It would seem their centers of population are closer to the City. Do people just not cross state lines?

I was also curious as to why Union wasn't added to Sioux City until relatively recently. If I remember correctly, during most of the Gateway glory years, it wasn't counted.

Maybe it's out of sight, out of mind for Washington bury-crats.
The Federal government defines counties as being in the metro area when 25% of the employed population commutes to the primary city for work. I'm not sure if there are other contributing factors or not.

So apparently Turner and McCook counties meet that threshold and the Iowa counties do not. As far as Union county is concerned, my guess is that it simply didn't meet that requirement. I would guess that there are quite a few people from northern Union (Beresford) that commute to Sioux Falls, or others who commute to Vermillion and Yankton. The work pool was probably so divided that Sioux City just didn't pull a quarter of employed persons until recently.

You're right though, the functioning world doesn't always match up with federal definitions. I think there is probably a decent chance of adding Lyon County, IA to the Sioux Falls Metro area after the 2010 Census.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
I grew up in Sioux Falls for most of my childhood. I moved when I was 12. I remember the city well, back in 1994. I lived on North Dakota Ave. off of Minnesota Ave. I haven't been back in 13 years, if anyone has the time I'd appreciate if someone took pictures of that area and the city in general (Hawthorne Elem area too). My old stomping grounds!

Has the Sioux Empire mall expanded any? When I was leaving Sioux Falls I did notice a lot of construction on 41st ave. Of course that was over a decade ago.
Since 1994, the mall has added a new food court. (I think it was added since '94 anyway) There have been a lot of stores that have moved out and moved in. The whole Empire Mall area has gone crazy with development. Tons of retail and hotel developments have gone up north of the mall along Louise ave. The N Dakota area is pretty much the same. I can't really get too specific since I've only lived in Sioux Falls since 2000, but I've been visiting here since I was young.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 10:50 PM

Sioux612,

Where on Dakota did you live? chances are i probably have some photos of that area. I've also got some of hawthorne that i'll have to dig up for you.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 2:36 AM

924 North Dakota Ave. It was a really nice neighborhood. Quiet and friendly. I spent all of my childhood in this area. I now live in Portland, Oregon. Quite the change of scenery to say the least. But I always wonder about how Sioux Falls has developed since I moved. I loved the Sioux Empire mall. I saw they are expanding the library, are they also planning on tearing down the current building? I used to go there all the time during the summer days.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 12:54 AM

Post Sept. 11 Memorial To Stop In SD

The September 11th memorial is taking survivors' stories and artifacts from its planned museum on a national tour that includes a stop in South Dakota.

The 15-city tour is modeled after the 1980s campaign that raised money to renovate the Statue of Liberty.
The tour starts September 10th in Columbia, South Carolina.

Foundation president Joseph Daniels says he hopes the memorial will be a national symbol that people will associate with being American.

It's a memorial to the terrorist attacks in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

The cities planned for the tour beginning Sept. 10 to promote the memorial to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks include:

- Columbia, SC
- Raleigh, NC
- Norfolk, VA
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Charleston, WV
- Cincinnati, OH
- Lexington, KY
- Fort Wayne, IN
- Lansing, MI
- Aurora, IL
- Madison, WI
- Sioux Falls, SD
- Des Moines, IA
- Omaha, NE
- Wichita, KS

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 3:36 PM

Schools scramble to build as population booms
Sioux Falls-area growth creates crunch for student space

By Jonnie Taté Finn
jtatefinn@argusleader.com
Published: August 15, 2007
In the days leading up to the start of school, construction workers are as common a sight as teachers at Sioux Falls area schools.

At almost every school in Minnehaha and Lincoln county, districts are completing building projects or planning for those projects in the near future.

"All this growth mainly affects us in building space. That's our biggest hurdle right now, having space to educate," said Tea Area Superintendent and Activities Director Dean Jones.

This year, growth also is affecting the football team in Tea.

Senior Austin Irvine has seen many changes since he started playing varsity football in eighth grade.

"Back then, I got my butt kicked every play," he said, just days before practice started for the upcoming season. "Now, I'm giving it to them."

But he'll see another, bigger change this season when the Titans move from playing nine-man football teams to schools in the 11B division. In the past four years, the team has gone from playing 9B division teams to 9AA and now to 11B football.

Tea Area has doubled its enrollment from 550 students four years ago to more than 1,100 this year.

"We weren't expecting it to happen this fast," Jones said. "We expected this big or a shade bigger, but not in four years."

The rapid growth Sioux Falls-area schools are seeing bucks a statewide trend. Numbers from the South Dakota Department of Education show only 28 of the state's districts had an enrollment in 2006 that was larger than the enrollment five years earlier.

Around here, districts are working to keep up. Tea Area School Board members voted in May to move forward with an almost $2 million improvement plan to add seven classrooms and a music room to the high school. The plan also calls for enhancements to the intermediate and elementary schools.

Harrisburg passed a bond issue to build new buildings. Brandon Valley would like to make $20 million in improvements if taxpayers agree. Dell Rapids is discussing a new elementary school and more space in the middle and high schools.

Like Tea, Brandon has seen rapid growth in the community affect education.

Brandon's population has more than doubled since 1990, from 3,543 residents to an estimated 8,000 today.

To accommodate the growth, the school board appointed a Facilities Needs Planning Committee, which proposed $20 million in new buildings, including a two-story, 26-classroom addition to the high school, an indoor activity center, a new elementary school and the creation of an intermediate campus, featuring separate buildings for grades five and six and seven and eight.

Some districts already have prepared themselves for the population booms to come.

When the new West Central School District school year starts, many students will be learning in brand-new classrooms and buildings.

"We're currently replacing 67 percent of the instructional square footage of our school district," Superintendent Paul Gausman said. The entire project will cost about $12.56 million and includes additions and renovations to West Central Middle School, two new elementary schools, a new administration office and a shared community and district library.

"The building projects we're currently engaged in have been built for growth so we're prepared for the time when we need to expand," Gausman said. "The first thing you see entering Hartford on Highway 38 is West Central High School, which was built in 1996 and will be the oldest school building in the district. That's exciting for us - that our kids will be educated in new and appropriate facilities.

Gausman said he pays close attention to the swelling population in Sioux Falls, not just the growth in his 165-square-mile district.

Western Sioux Falls is creeping into West Central's eastern border, he said, just as Sioux Falls is growing into Harrisburg.

"We have to pay close attention to that," Gausman said. "We need to be able to respond to Sioux Falls' growth, not just the growth of Humboldt, Hartford or Wall Lake."

The growth also affects high school activities such as sports.

Sixteen high schools across the state will move up a division because of the growth their districts have experienced.

"Demographics are changing all the time," said Bob Lowery, assistant executive director for the South Dakota High School Activities Association. "We try to keep the changes to a minimum, otherwise it snowballs. One change causes three or four others."

Tea Area football coach Adam Larson is used to change, and moving from 9AA to 11B football is part of that.

"We're just going to have to stress more time in the weight room," he said. "When you move up in the class system, I mean, the bigger you get, the better the athletes. Bigger schools have bigger pools as far as picking kids for the team goes."

Reach reporter Jonnie Taté Finn at 331-2320.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 7:25 PM

Post Work to start next month on courthouse

By Jill Callison
jcalliso@argusleader.com
Published: August 15, 2007

Work on two additional floors for the Minnehaha County Courthouse will begin in about a month.

The crane needed to add a fifth and sixth story to the courthouse will be moved on site Sept. 10 and will be operational by Sept. 14, according to Ken McFarland, administrative assistant to the commissioners.

Roof work will begin Sept. 17, with concrete begun Sept. 24.

Installation of the steel beams is scheduled to begin by Oct. 20, McFarland said.

The deadline for bids on the mechanical, electrical and plumbing work is Sept. 4, with the information presented to the county commission on Sept. 20, said Meredith Larson of Henry Carlson Co., the project’s construction manager.

Early bids are coming in below estimates, allowing the contingency

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 4:00 AM

Post City wants to borrow $5 million to buy blighted property

By Jonathan Ellis
jonellis@argusleader.com
Published: August 17, 2007

Sioux Falls officials are negotiating with Citibank South Dakota to open a $5 million line of credit that would enable the city to purchase blighted properties near downtown.

The deal – which requires approval by the City Council – hasn’t been finalized.

But if it becomes reality, city officials say they would have money on hand to buy and raze houses in an area targeted by Mayor Dave Munson’s Neighborhood Conservation Program.

That area encompasses Minnesota Avenue on the east and Covell Avenue on the west between 10th and 12th streets.

The city targeted that area last year by dispatching code officers who hounded owners of derelict property. The initiative started after Munson became concerned about rising crime and dilapidated buildings.

Since then, crime in the neighborhood has gone down. At the same time, a number of apartment units located in old homes are sitting vacant because they can’t be brought up to code.

The next step in the plan, say officials, is for the city to begin buying properties. Once enough land is purchased, it would then be resold to private developers.

The plan would give the city control over what is built in the area, and officials favor multi-floor, mixed-use plans, with commercial spaces on the ground levels and housing on upper levels.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 4:15 AM
still here

I don't know if you guys know this or not but the Sioux Falls airport got the Allegiant service to Phoenix, Arizona. Congrats!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 6:22 PM

UAL wants more ticket room
Airline needs additional space because it will increase flight capacity

By Megan Myers
memyers@argusleader.com
Published: August 24, 2007
United Airlines' larger planes might mean the need for a larger ticket counter at the Sioux Falls Regional Airport.

The Chicago-based airline will upgrade its daily regional service to Denver with 115-seat Boeing 737 jets next month. That means more people per flight, since its current regional jets seat either 50 or 66 passengers.

More passengers means United will need more space to issue tickets and check baggage, said Mike Marnach, the airport's executive director. Airline representatives were in Sioux Falls on Thursday to look at space on the terminal's north end for the potential move. The United ticket counter now is sandwiched between Northwest Airlines and Delta Air Lines.

"They're looking at the space north of Allegiant," Marnach said.

United Airlines will conduct a trial test with the new aircraft from September to January, and Marnach said he's been told the switch probably is permanent.

United's Denver flights currently run at capacity, which led the airport board to seek out flights to Denver on lower-cost carrier Frontier Airlines in an effort to lower prices.

Frontier last month bypassed Sioux Falls for the new flights, selecting Sioux City and Rapid City for new service. Airport officials think the selection of Sioux City was a strategic move on Frontier's part to try to capture travelers who drive south to Omaha for cheaper fares.

"There's only one reason why United's bringing in big jets now - to compete with Frontier," said Mark Sixel, the Oregon-based consultant with whom the airport contracts to bring in new carriers and routes.

SkyWest Airlines now provides the regional jet service to Denver under the name United Express.

United's director of North America planning last month asked the airport board for a one-time $100,000 incentive grant to offset its costs of the new planes. David Jehn told the airport board last month that the larger aircraft probably would lower fares by 10 to 25 percent.

"It's been a crusade for me to convince people it's worth the expense," Jehn told the airport board at its July meeting. "It's a substantial benefit for the community."

Ticket prices to Denver on both United and Northwest have fallen within the past two weeks, according to Harold's Travel in Sioux Falls.

The lowest round-trip fare to Denver on United from Sioux Falls - booking two weeks in advance - now averages between $170 and $190, according to information compiled regularly by the travel agency. Frontier's Web site is touting introductory round-trip fares of about $170 to Denver from Sioux City.

The potential United ticket counter move also comes as the airport is preparing to remodel the entire ticket counter and baggage-check area. The remodel will involve moving screening machines behind the ticket counter, out of the public eye.

The estimated $5 million project is slated to start next spring and will be completed in early 2009, Marnach said.

Reach Megan Myers at 331-2257.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 6:27 PM

According to the Sioux Falls Airport's website, passenger boardings are up 2.6% year to date over last year. Last year was a record, and the airport is likely to set another one this year.

Total boardings for the year should be close to 400,000 which obviously means a total passenger count approaching 800,000.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 8:33 PM

Thats some really good news.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 10:39 PM

Post New flights to Phoenix a hit

Published: August 24, 2007
Allegiant Air’s new flights to Phoenix already are proving popular with local travelers.

The Las Vegas-based low-fare carrier on Wednesday announced it would begin non-stop service to the Phoenix area.

On Thursday, the airline recorded nearly 300 bookings on the new flights, said Mike Marnach, the Sioux Falls airport’s executive director.

“The Allegiant folks sure noticed,” Marnach said today.

The flights start Oct. 25, and Allegiant is offering introductory fares of $99 one-way.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 8:33 AM

18-story research tower

Sanford plans include 18-story research tower
By Megan Myers
memyers@argusleader.com
Published: August 26, 2007
An 18-story tower, taller than any existing office building in Sioux Falls, will rise over the southwest corner of the city and a burgeoning medical research empire if the ever-expanding vision of Sanford Health executives becomes reality.

It will be the centerpiece of a 185-acre campus, one that also could include a 35-acre span for a city-owned events center or recreation complex.

The Sanford Research Park, to be developed at the southeast intersection of Interstates 29 and 229, eventually is to be home to advanced biomedical research efforts paid for in part by the $400 million donation to the former Sioux Valley health system by T. Denny Sanford.

Sanford and development officials say the total project is estimated to cost well over $100 million. That would make it one of the city and state's largest ever private investments.

Plans for the park are in early stages, said Dave Link, Sanford's vice president of development and research.

"It's pretty basic and preliminary at this point in time," Link said. "There's a lot to be defined."

Not enough space
Despite its recently acquiring six city blocks south of its hospital campus soon to be vacated by Sioux Falls Seminary, Link said the health system remains short 50,000 to 100,000 square feet it needs for future research space, which is why it is looking to the city's fringes for more space.

Sanford still is making plans for research and educational centers on the Sioux Falls Seminary land. That includes the much-touted dome over several buildings yet to be designed, Sanford chief executive Kelby Krabbenhoft said.

"Yes, we're still doing the dome," he said in a recent interview.

Artists' renderings released by Sanford and Sioux Falls development firm Lloyd Cos. show a research complex with the 18-story tower at its core. About 35 acres at the project's south end is meant for a city-owned events or recreation center, surrounded by athletic fields.

That's the land Krabbenhoft previously offered to the city for future development purposes, namely an events center.

Krabbenhoft said he's thought about donating part of the land since about 2004, when he and the then-Sioux Valley board decided to keep the health system's main hospital campus in central Sioux Falls rather than move to the city's south side. The health system has owned the land since the late 1990s for future development.

Krabbenhoft has had discussions with the city about the land donation proposal. Mayor Dave Munson maintains he doesn't want an events center anywhere other than downtown. But the land could be of use to the city as a future recreation center site, Munson said.

"It's a nice gesture on their part," Munson said of Sanford's proposal. "That's a possibility to work with them on something we could have down there."

'New environment'
The Sanford land is north of 85th Street in a wedge along the west side of Tallgrass Avenue. The city plans to push Tallgrass northeast to connect with Solberg Avenue with an I-229 overpass in 2010 to create a new approach to The Empire Mall. It also plans an overpass to extend 69th Street west across I-29, perhaps in 2020.

Developer Craig Lloyd said the park's development also depends on an interchange over 85th Street.

"It'll create a whole new environment down there," he said.

Lloyd Cos. has an option on 38 acres to the south of the Sanford property that it plans to develop into office and commercial space, Lloyd said.

Golden Triangle
The research park plans would dramatically change the south entrance to Sioux Falls, already the fastest-growing part of the entire state. The land is close to the city's so-called Golden Triangle, a medical and technology district that sprouted near Louise Avenue south of I-229.

The area already is home to a number of medical centers, dominated by Sanford's rival, Avera Health.

Avera built its $5.25 million headquarters in the area, looking north on I-229, in 1999. The $50 million Avera Heart Hospital of South Dakota opened in 2001. Avera McKennan last year built its $32 million behavioral health center next to Heart Hospital.

Avera Health chief executive John Porter said the Catholic health system plans to invest more than $700 million in coming years in its buildings and research efforts. Avera plans to expand its headquarters within the next two years, he said, probably adding onto its existing building.

"Overall, it was just a good opportunity for everybody to come out here," Porter said.

-----------------------
'Early Stages'.....at least it's a start!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 1:49 PM

That's awesome. I sure wish more developers in Sioux Falls would start goin higher. While I'm glad there will be a new 18 story building, it will look funny on the edge of the prairie. Too bad it can't be downtown.

I wonder how many other cities do not have thier tallest building downtown? Anyone have any ideas?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 5:20 PM

Wow, thats exciting news.

Seems like Sioux Falls is hitting on all cylinders right now. If all these projects and grwoth projections come true over the next decade or so, Sioux Falls will be a dramatically different place by 2020.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 6:51 PM

I was surprised when I read that Sanford Health was planning an 18 story building. Too bad it wont be build downtown. I wonder when it will be started?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 8:38 PM

I dont like the idea of it not being downtown .... but it will reflect good on the city from the south.

I wanted to share what I found today

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest