HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 4:16 AM

Those articles are all from the same source, and not one I'd trust with details. Actually, that's not really fair. There are no details on this. It's all speculation.

A line going from King George to 152nd and Fraser Highway along 100th would be 5.3 km long. A line going along 104th Avenue would be 7.0 km, which is a bigger figure than has been proposed to date, at least as far as I know.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 4:42 AM

Yeah, that's why my initial post was a big WTF are they smoking routing it like that. And yeah they all have the same source, the initial announcement by falcon himself, so put as much credibility as you want in it, although I doubt they will keep it like that. Until they change it though, that seems to be what they are looking at.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 5:23 AM

The SkyTrain ext is a waste of money and i don't think it will create substainally more ridership.
LRT down Scoot/72 to Newton, LRT down KG to WR, LRT to Lan

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 6:17 AM

thank you anti-skytrain, lrt propagandist.... "i hate skytrain, i hate skytrain"... blah blah blah.... like a child who refuses to get his hair cut or go to the dentist...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 6:26 AM

the stupid thing is skytrain is an LRT

a form of it anyway

lol

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 7:19 AM

Skytrain is a type of metro in practical terms. It has nearly nothing in common with any other light rail system. It operates just like any other metro.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 7:23 AM

Thats how i feel too, as i have said many times my friends from around the world (UK, Japan, China, Taiwan etc..) all refer to skytrain as the "metro" and not "LRT".

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 7:54 AM

Technically speaking, it is an LRT. However, SkyTrain is more of a hybrid between a heavy rail metro and light rail. You'd be foolish to think otherwise or to call it an LRT when it behaves much more differently than one.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 9:44 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Technically speaking, it is an LRT. However, SkyTrain is more of a hybrid between a heavy rail metro and light rail. You'd be foolish to think otherwise or to call it an LRT when it behaves much more differently than one.
Yup I fully agree. As the crazy anti LRT guy Malcolm so and so calls it....

its a MINI METRO Its deff not LRT....its closer to a Heavy Rail Metro that it is a LRT.

and if you wanna get even more fickle its technically an.....ART...not LRT at all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombard..._Rapid_Transit

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
Yup I fully agree. As the crazy anti LRT guy Malcolm so and so calls it....

its a MINI METRO Its deff not LRT....its closer to a Heavy Rail Metro that it is a LRT.

and if you wanna get even more fickle its technically an.....ART...not LRT at all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombard..._Rapid_Transit
Mini-metro? lol, it's a metro. Perhaps nothing like New York or London or HK, but it's hardly a mini system especially with the expansions and extensions over the next few decades. With the Expo, Millennium, Canada Lines and in the future the SkyTrain extensions to UBC, Coquitlam, and further into Surrey that's a pretty massive system. That's nearly 100-kms of rail, larger than Toronto's subway.

It may have relatively short trains, but the high frequency - much higher than many other metro systems - makes up for it as we all know.

And then, there's also the ridership:

And this doesn't even include the UBC extension (2002 pre-UPASS study with SkyTrain and rapid bus combo estimated 150,000 passengers daily) and the Surrey Extension. The Surrey extension could probably rake in 25,000-40,000 while the UBC extension has the sky being as the limit as the figures (possibly as much as 200,000?). Personally, I'm quite surprised that the projection for the Evergreen Line in 2014 will carry nearly as much as the projection for the Canada Line in 2009.

The fact is that speed is a HUGE factor in getting ridership, and before ssiguy2 starts mentioning about how Calgary can rake in more ridership well note that Calgary's urban fabric is radial with everything feeding into an inner core. Vancouver is simply different and you can do nothing about it but build on that, and it requires something that is high speed.

LRT to UBC is a complete waste of money, and I can assure you that you would not see the same high ridership levels as a SkyTrain line. Speed is a huge factor, and there's only so much traffic signal priority could do. There is absolutely no way that LRT can beat SkyTrain in terms of speed. And with SkyTrain, you also have high frequencies - and that can be done quite cheaply in comparison to LRT, which prefers to use longer trains rather than higher frequencies which require more man power. High frequencies, an unplanned trip, is extremely attractive.

Once Vancouver is done building its metro backbone (which every city has, and is high of capacity and frequency), the UBC and Surrey extensions (including one down King George Hwy to Newton) and the Evergreen Line we are done with building SkyTrain forever.....except for maybe one other extension to Lonsdale/North Shore in the very distant future.

Surrey is quite suitable for a streetcar/LRT network of its own from that point that branches and feeds off from SkyTrain. As well, an LRT system from Braid or Lougheed via the Southeastern route along Lougheed Highway to Coquitlam would be nice, and it'll complement the Evergreen Line....we could densify the area around Lougheed including going ahead with the Riverview plans. This LRT line could branch off across the Fraser via the new Port Mann crossing and connect with the Surrey LRT network...complementing SkyTrain. And a DMU or electric overhead LRT line from New Westminster Station to Marine Drive Station along the north shore of the Fraser would be quite suitable.

Anyhow, the West Coast Express needs to see its service improved. Double-tracked, bi-directional regular service all day and during weekends as well, all the way to Chilliwack and a spur into Surrey. Some may say that it will only encourage more sprawl, but the fact is the sprawl is already there and will happen regardless....the least we can do is provide these people with an alternative to driving their car down the No.1.

Last edited by mr.x; Dec 16, 2008 at 10:28 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 3:20 PM

Routing aside, I wonder how used and how much impact it would have if they ran a giant park and ride right off of highway one and feeding into a new adjacent skytrain station. It would be much more convenient than scott road and easier to get to for a lot of people coming from further east. Even people from north of the Fraser can use it with that new bridge too.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 4:05 PM

Ohhh so this is what Falco means by rapid transit to UBC from "Broadway Station". Oh media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Sun story

The platform at the Broadway station on the Millennium line.

Photograph by: Ian Lindsay, Vancouver Sun
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/van...911/story.html

Last edited by DKaz; Dec 16, 2008 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Photo credit

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 5:13 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by fever View Post
Those articles are all from the same source, and not one I'd trust with details. Actually, that's not really fair. There are no details on this. It's all speculation.

A line going from King George to 152nd and Fraser Highway along 100th would be 5.3 km long. A line going along 104th Avenue would be 7.0 km, which is a bigger figure than has been proposed to date, at least as far as I know.
The initial map that was shown was vague. I think it's generally assumed to be 104th because it's the street most of the buses run on.

100th parallels a park would would reduce the Nimby factor, however.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
thats waht i thought - i was wondering why everyone is going on about 104th
because people don't put two and two together! argh!!!!! i already told people road aquisition is underway for 104th for the purpose to LRT. skytrain is going to hit 140/fraser area to get to rcmp 'e' and outpatient facility then hit up 100th through green timbers on the way to the SOUTH side of guildford.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 6:30 PM

Marisa Babic, Surrey Now
Published: Monday, January 14, 2008

Falcon said the expanded line will continue from King George Station, likely travel along 104th Avenue, down 152nd Street to Fraser Highway and terminate at 168th Street.

If they decided to use 100th Ave to 152nd instead I can't see how it would be advantageous compared to using 104th. If there's a purpose is to serve Guildford then having a stop at it's central commercial district makes more sense than having a stop 800 yards to the south of it at 100th. This would be equivalent to walking from the foot of Robson at BC Place to Robson Square. It wouldn't bother me, but it might bother other transit users that would regularly use it. Hence, defeating the purpose of building it in the first place. To me, it's akin to not building the M-Line extension right to UBC, though at a much smaller scale obviously.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 6:42 PM

Here's a diagram I did back in January from the $14B for Transit thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
If it is going down 104th Ave., then it makes sense to me to install a wye at 104th rather than looping back up from King George Station. That would leave the tail track at King George Station available to head south down King George Highway. That would be feasible (it was done for the M-Line) and the interruption (using longer trains running on single track while the other is reconstructed) would only affect Surrey Central and King George Stations.

In order to serve Surrey Central Station area, there would have to be a station on the 104th line at the wye (i.e. at King George HIghway) or, as Cornholio mentioned, have the wye south of Surrey Central Station (which would make for curvey detour on the line).

As for whether Skytrain is appropriate for Langley - if Surrey City Centre is to be the next downtown in the regional - as big as Vancouver - then it makes sense to view the Expo line as feeding Surrey City Centre, not just feeding Downtown Vancouver. I do agree it would be a long ride from Langley to downtown Vancouver.

Here's a good Global Air Pic of the area showing the hydro ROW and the SUrrey Central Station area and 104th Ave.

And here are my suggested allignments - I prefer the red line with a station at King George Highway. If Surrey orients its transit (bus) plaza between the two stations, it would work OK and transfers from Guildford to King George could transfer at Gateway Station. I suppose there could be an issue though with bus passengers having a choice of two nearby stations (esp. if one branch has more service than the other). The blue routing would focus a lot of passenger traffic on Surrey Central Station (possibly overloading it in the long term?), plus the red routing allows more stations in a more central location in Surrey's downtown than the blue line (which is further to the south closer to King George Station).
As for the overpass, Skytrain can make sharper turns than the Canada Line trains, so the structure wouldn't have to be as massive as at Bridgeport Station - think Columbia Station-Skybridge switches.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 7:28 PM

*Pre-post disclaimer: I do not and have never lived South of the Fraser, so forgive my inadvertent ignorance.

^ What is the purpose of the green route? Just to take advantage of the Hydro ROW because other than that it looks somewhat awkward.

This is what I always thought would serve Surrey quite well:

Red line is surface level LRT Running down 104th, cutting left at the tracks just after 125th and then continuing down Scott Road to Strawberry Hill. This seems like a logical route here as it links much of surrey together and allows for more flow onto the expo line for dispersal throughout the metro.

Yellow Line is the Skytrain extension of the expo line as per Falcon.

Blue line is the most dubious of my ideas which I just concocted in the last 20 minutes. It runs from Newton to the red line along a railway through what looks to be a dense industrial area. It then would travel along Nordel and could continue along River road on the south adn cross into Richmond at Steveston highway meeting an extended Canada line, or cross right away at the Alex Fraser and follow the East/West connector ROW into Central Richmond. Clearly this line would be implemented FAR down the road and is of little importance now. It might be nice to have an E/W line south of the Fraser though, especially considering all the growth the area is supposed to have.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 7:59 PM

Thanks od, I forgot you did that map. I like the red line option. A station at KG Highway even though close to Surrey Central would add to the Surrey Central Transit Village(if that is still planned). The Green team on that ideas forum(link below) had a bus "piazza" by SC station but one at 103rd would be an ideal location.

The distance between SC station and a new station at KGH/104th in a straight line is approx 250m. Pedestrian friendly traffic between these two and a bus "piazza" could be very pleasing to retailers that will eventually locate here when the new "Village" and street network is finished.

ideas forum from a few years ago http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/75...CITYCENTRE.pdf

An extension from KG station using the ROW south would seem a good scenario with a stop at Surrey Memorial before it swings back towards KGH at 92nd. From an aerial perspective it looks like a perfect fit.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
*Pre-post disclaimer: I do not and have never lived South of the Fraser, so forgive my inadvertent ignorance.
I've got the same disclaimer!

Yeah, I think that if the Hydro ROW is used, it would just be beacuse it's available open space ROW - no other reason.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 8:37 PM

Wow, if anyone thought the cambie *underground* construction process was painful, I wouldn't want to see the complaining during any LRT surface construction on King George. That road is already packed all times of the day except late at night. It is fairly wide, but essentially closing it for a while...I'd hate to see the chaos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure