HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:21 PM

Apparently the city's giving Mezcal a hard time about their sign.

https://twitter.com/ChefMannyF/statu...17459553669120

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 11:34 PM

^With all the sh*t signage in this city, they have a problem with that?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:24 AM

And The Mule is moving to the Empire Times after being kicked out of the Sirloin Cellar sport due to the alley fiasco.

Guess this means Chuck's Burger Bar isn't expanding there as originally announced. Possibly due to the drama at their original location.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
And The Mule is moving to the Empire Times after being kicked out of the Sirloin Cellar sport due to the alley fiasco.

Guess this means Chuck's Burger Bar isn't expanding there as originally announced. Possibly due to the drama at their original location.
This may not have been a good location for Chuck's as some of their problems where with the Hamilton Fire's Prevention Department. Fire Prevention's HQ is 2 doors down from the Empire Times.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 6:58 PM

Where To Eat In Hamilton

From "The Curious Creature" (Toronto based) that writes reviews from style tips and restaurant picks to travel and wedding advice. They cover festivals and events in Toronto.

Quote:
Love food? If yes, get yourself to Hamilton asap. Once known for its manufacturing industry, the city has transformed into a food-lovers paradise. The emerging culinary scene is energized, inspired and collaborative: a place where food entrepreneurs unite to fulfill their dreams. Step inside any of their establishments and you’ll feel their energy pulse through you. That’s because food isn’t just a business to them: it’s a passion. And you can truly taste it in every morsel and every gulp. Here are some drool-worthy spots to add to your must-eat list in the hammer…
http://www.thecuriouscreature.com/20...t-in-hamilton/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Apparently the city's giving Mezcal a hard time about their sign.

https://twitter.com/ChefMannyF/statu...17459553669120
I can see how they'd want conduit for the electrical feed but it's not even hooked up yet. The sign itself looks fine. Can't imagine what the issue is.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
I can see how they'd want conduit for the electrical feed but it's not even hooked up yet. The sign itself looks fine. Can't imagine what the issue is.
According to another twitter thread I read (that I can't find), it's because it's a heritage building, and the sign needs to be off the stone for some reason?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 2:49 AM

"The food tour featured above was coordinated by Hamilton’s Economic Development Office as part of a press trip to Hamilton. Our meals were complimentary. As always, all reviews and opinions are entirely my own."

Not that it invalidates the good word, but it does foreground the fact that this coverage was engineered to a certain extent by the City of Hamilton (who might have comped travel and lodging as well).

Curiosity has its limits, I suppose.

(BTW, funny description of Radius: "Everything about this place screams Hamilton.... think Montreal meets NYC.")

Last edited by thistleclub; Mar 5, 2015 at 5:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
"The food tour featured above was coordinated by Hamilton’s Economic Development Office as part of a press trip to Hamilton. Our meals were complimentary. As always, all reviews and opinions are entirely my own."

Not that it invalidates the good word, but it does foreground the fact that this coverage was engineered to a certain extent by the City of Hamilton (who might have comped travel and lodging as well).

Curiosity has its limits, I suppose.
not to mention one of the restaurants isn't even open yet.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 12:05 AM

Hamilton cameo...

Crowdfunding hits the Toronto restaurant scene
(Toronto Star, Lisa Wright, Mar 8 2015)

As the owner of a bustling Queen St. W. restaurant, Andres Marquez is used to juggling difficult phone calls and a variety of problems.

“Usually it’s ‘Hey boss, the pipes are frozen’, or ‘Some drunk guy came in here and we have to throw him out’,” he says.

But when the Ontario Securities Commission called last month, things turned pretty loco for the Mexico City expat.

“It was the most shocking phone call. I almost peed my pants,” says Marquez, co-owner of Mexican bistro Fonda Lola.

Though he can giggle about it now, it was no laughing matter when the 33 year old unexpectedly found himself on the market regulator’s radar last month, after he and his business partner sent out a press release seeking investors for a second location with a link to crowdfunding website Indiegogo.

They first said they were offering 1,000 shares at $75 each in a restaurant IPO — an initial public offering — which is the official term for a stock market launch in which a private company becomes publicly traded. The shares, which they said represented 20 per cent of the company’s market value, were to help build capital for a new location with a tequila tasting room.

“Stocks will retain their full value for 12 months (stockholders can redeem 100 per cent of their stock value in restaurant credit during the first year) and can be cashed out in restaurant credit or cash at market value after the initial 12 months. Projected sales for 2015 are $600,000 and the share value growth is estimated at 11 per cent,” said the initial release.

But what Marquez says was an innocent attempt at trying to jazz up a press release and get some buzz around his business got the unwanted attention of the OSC.

“We stepped into some hot water there. We were all on the phone — the securities commission, their lawyer, my lawyer, my business partner, my public relations people — and it was pretty intense at first,” he recalls.

“They were very firm saying change the wording. Within 20 minutes we changed the press release,” says Marquez, who is now offering memberships in the new restaurant instead, with various perks for customers who purchase them.

Crowdfunding is becoming a growing avenue to raise capital for ventures by seeking monetary donations over a set period of time from a wide group of people over the internet. It was even urged last week at Toronto’s annual prospectors’ convention as a way to help struggling mining firms raise capital to stay afloat in a dismal market.

But it’s relatively new to the restaurant scene, particularly in Toronto. Last November, Hamilton foodies successfully backed a $100,000 crowdfunding campaign for a new taco, bourbon and tequila restaurant, also through Indiegogo. And analysts say it’s been done on a small scale in the U.S. and the U.K.

“It’s not unheard of but it’s new in this market,” says James Rilett, vice-president of industry association Restaurants Canada.

He says restaurateurs are increasingly looking for new ways to raise capital because “more and more, banks are not willing to lend money to small businesses.”

“It’s an interesting approach,” says Brian Stanford, national managing director of PKF Consulting Canada.

“The concept of creating a bit of an elite status to get priority access or restaurant benefits has been done in New York and L.A. but it’s not something we’ve seen much of in Toronto,” he says.

“It’s probably more about marketing, and the fundraising would be secondary,” Stanford adds.

Douglas Fisher, president of food service consulting firm FHG International, sees it mainly as a gimmick that won’t have legs in the uber-competitive industry.

“I think restaurants are using crowdfunding as a last resort to finance or help finance their business. Small business loans that are guaranteed by the Canadian government are readily available for qualified restaurants to take advantage of,” he says.

“Those using fundraising are generating publicity more than raising funds, and I would be concerned that such investment is highly speculative on the part of those that contribute,” Fisher notes.

Read it in full here.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 7:08 PM

The Little Grasshopper Cafe is open on Barton/Hughson just east of James N.

I was hoping it would be a Papa Leo's-esque brunch place but it seems to be another Portuguese restaurant. They seemed a bit taken aback when I walked in and asked them what kinda food they served.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:01 PM

There's another restaurant opening on Ottawa street from the rapscallion/black sheep people called "Except For Kenneth"

- 189 Ottawa St N.
- Fusion of South American+Asian flavours.

https://twitter.com/except4kenneth

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:08 PM

Quote:
There's another restaurant opening on Ottawa street from the rapscallion/black sheep people called "Except For Kenneth"

- 189 Ottawa St N.
- Fusion of South American+Asian flavours.

https://twitter.com/except4kenneth
Ottawa street is the next James/ Locke. Blacksheep snack bar, this place, lemoncello, the cannon.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Ottawa street is the next James/ Locke. Blacksheep snack bar, this place, lemoncello, the cannon.
Ottawa North, 150m to either side of Cannon...

131 Ottawa N: Gorilla Cheese
134 Ottawa N: National Pizza
150 Ottawa N: Quality Bakery
179 Ottawa N: Cannon Coffee Co.
187 Ottawa N: Black Sheep Snack Bar
189 Ottawa N: Except For Kenneth
191 Ottawa N: Sinfully Sweet
193 Ottawa N: Puravida Tuscan Deli
201 Ottawa N: Southern Smoke BBQ House
207 Ottawa N: Helen’s Restaurant
224 Ottawa N: Auntie Boom’s Retro Cafe
226 Ottawa N: Café Limoncello

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 8:56 PM
Hammer'd

I love Ottawa Street and it's great to see so much more coming all the time. Just wish that more places would be open later. The nightlife is still almost non-existent. At least Black Sheep is open late.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 5:44 AM

Salt Lick Smoke House is opening at 282 James North where McCartney & Son used to be. Not sure if it's a rebrand or if it's brand new owners.

https://twitter.com/slatlick

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Salt Lick Smoke House is opening at 282 James North where McCartney & Son used to be. Not sure if it's a rebrand or if it's brand new owners.
Same owner. He installed a smoker and I think he's putting in a full kitchen. It should be great.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 10:12 PM

Food and Drink Fest is back downtown this year at the Convention Centre. I was hoping for that since the Careport Centre closed down. That place was awful.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 10:17 PM

Convention Centre is smaller (I think) but definitely a better atmosphere than Careport.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 3:21 AM

Looks like they're opening another La Luna at Barton/Sherman. Awesome to see that in that area!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation