HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 9:48 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

The architect didnt think that happened but it did.

Last edited by zilfondel; Nov 27, 2019 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Just FYI, the city refused to allow ground floor retail at this location. The architect actually asked specifically for an allowance, but was refused.
that's fucked up. I was wondering why an owner would not choose to have retail in a place like this. seems like a good idea to diversify the capital stream and bring life to what amounts to a pretty dead building type.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:47 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
that's fucked up. I was wondering why an owner would not choose to have retail in a place like this. seems like a good idea to diversify the capital stream and bring life to what amounts to a pretty dead building type.
Cause its an industrial sanctuary zone.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Cause its an industrial sanctuary zone.
Oh, I get that. I also work a couple of blocks away and the industrialness of that side of Grand is a mixed bag. Denying how the neighborhood is changing, and giving nearby businesses and residents the gift of giant blank walls is considerably short sighted, in my humble opinion.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Just FYI, the city refused to allow ground floor retail at this location. The architect actually asked specifically for an allowance, but was refused.
The zoning code allows 3,000 sq ft of retail per site by right in the IG1 zone. As an example, Japanese restaurant Afuri is located just across the street in a building also located in the IG1 zone. It's even possible to get up to 25,000 sq ft of retail or office approved through the conditional use process.

Commercial kitchens and breweries in the zoning code as "Manufacturing And Production", a use that's allowed outright, and are allowed to have attached dining / tasting rooms. As an example North Rim Development has done a few buildings in the Central Eastside that are leased to food production companies.

I don't think IG1 is an appropriate zone to face SE Belmont St, but it's not the city's fault that Belmont now has a building with nearly 200' of CMU at the ground level.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 12:27 AM

Revised drawings [65 MB] and staff report for Alder.9.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Revised drawings [65 MB] and staff report for Alder.9.
This looks like what a computer running MS Windows 95 would return when asked to render a garbage fire. It’s amazing how Portland building standards sink lower by the minute. Considering the glut of similar housing offering hitting the market at the same time, the lights in these units will be out for years to come.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
Oh, I get that. I also work a couple of blocks away and the industrialness of that side of Grand is a mixed bag. Denying how the neighborhood is changing, and giving nearby businesses and residents the gift of giant blank walls is considerably short sighted, in my humble opinion.
I attended a "lunch and learn" at BDS yesterday about the zoning code changes that go into effect later next month. One of them is a requirement for ground floor active uses for self storage facilities and to ban them from "prime" industrial lands within the city. Central eastside was not identified as a "prime" industrial area from what I could tell though.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 5:45 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelBoy View Post
This looks like what a computer running MS Windows 95 would return when asked to render a garbage fire. It’s amazing how Portland building standards sink lower by the minute. Considering the glut of similar housing offering hitting the market at the same time, the lights in these units will be out for years to come.
As for the look of the building, I don't mind it. It isn't award winning, but for a random apartment building, it fits and doesn't look like an ugly mistake.

As for the price, this will probably have a hard time to fill because of the location and the flood of apartments coming on the market. But that is a different issue.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelBoy View Post
It is a generic Sketchup building. Of the apartment buildings going up now, it has to be in the bottom 25% of attractiveness.

Even among the new buildings in that area, where the current projects seem to set a low bar for design, it is unfortunate.

Yes, standards are low and especially now and in that part of SE. The projects in the Pearl are at least trying to be good and many succeed. Goat Blocks took a lot more care, since then this part of SE has been a dumping ground for commodity buildings.

The developer builds cookie cutter McMansions, may not have been seeking good architecture.

Is this another building of all or mostly studio/1 bdrms? Am I right that the market has been overbuilding those and underbuilding 2-3 bdrms?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
As for the look of the building, I don't mind it. It isn't award winning, but for a random apartment building, it fits and doesn't look like an ugly mistake.

As for the price, this will probably have a hard time to fill because of the location and the flood of apartments coming on the market. But that is a different issue.
I'd take about 50 of these over that f*cking storage building, which should never have been built in that location, zoning be damned.

It's a decent, 2018-looking fabric building. I had to go back and look at the PDF again after reading some of the comments here -- but it still looks entirely inoffensive to me.

EDIT: I'd stick it in the upper 50% of attractiveness, personally ;-). Even the Modera buildings I'd generously place in the bottom 25-50%. The bottom 25% I reserve for buildings like the Albert, the Tupelo, 419 E Burnside, just about any Fosler building (exacerbated by the painfully stupid names), etc.

Last edited by tworivers; Apr 15, 2018 at 7:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I'd take about 50 of these over that f*cking storage building, which should never have been built in that location, zoning be damned.
Ditto. To me, the building comes off as somewhat sterile and hotel like, but meh.. it's got ground floor retail and windows. I'll take it.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 10:01 PM

[QUOTE=johnliu;8155101]
The developer builds cookie cutter McMansions, may not have been seeking good architecture.

I totally do not get the strong negative reactions to this. Seems like a well-designed building for what it is and where it's located. It's obviously not earth-shattering but what exactly is "bad" about it? Please provide examples of the "good" architecture you're comparing it with.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 8:27 PM

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...side_deve.html

Quote:
Longtime Central Eastside developer picked to redevelop prime 3-block site
Updated 11:41 AM; Posted 11:37 AM
By Elliot Njus enjus@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

A developer long active in Portland's Central Eastside, has been selected to redevelop three prime city-owned blocks in the heart of the district.

Prosper Portland, the city's urban development agency, picked Beam Development to redevelop the "ODOT blocks," a three-block site the city bought from the Oregon Department of Transportation for $2.8 million in 2016.

Beam has proposed to buy or lease the land from the city to build more than 300,000 square feet of industrial and office space. The blocks are located west of Southeast Water Avenue between Taylor and Madison streets.

The redevelopment also is expected to include hundreds of parking spaces — the maximum allowed under the city's zoning code — to be owned and operated by Prosper Portland, which has looked at parking garages as one source of revenue as its urban renewal districts wind down. The dramatically changing neighborhood has been choked with cars amid an influx of new workers.
...(continues)

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Another building being squeezed into hot spot

Key Development’s follow-up to Yard will have little in common with the controversial Burnside bridgehead tower.

Instead of an imposing building envelope and black exterior panels, Yard’s sibling will be much smaller and feature warm, reddish-brown bricks.

“We’re trying to make it more of a classic Central Eastside building than a striking, contemporary project, which we’ve kind of already done with Yard,” said Claudia Munk-von Flotow, chief operating officer of Key Development, the developer of Yard and the new project on Block 76 West. “It’s really not the little sister to Yard as we once concepted it to be.”

The mixed-use project was known in planning as SideYard – a play on it being a smaller neighbor to the 21-story project built first. Now that Yard has sold to an institutional buyer – the largely residential building was snapped up by a Thailand-based investor for $126.68 million in December 2016 – the SideYard name no longer made sense, Flotow said.
...continues at the DJC (temporarily unlocked).

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 1:46 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
“We’re trying to make it more of a classic Central Eastside building than a striking, contemporary project, which we’ve kind of already done with Yard,”
Whoever designed The Yard deserves to be struck, but... uhm... this new building isn't classic Central Eastside at all. It's strikingly modern. I like it a lot. Unlike The Yard, this doesn't look cheap (or like a prison).

Let's hope this isn't another fantasy rendering.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 9:13 PM

Pics in link: https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...769&j=81628651

Quote:
Commercial Real Estate
Exclusive: First look inside Portland's Jupiter NEXT hotel (Photos)
By Jon Bell – Staff Reporter, Portland Business Journal
12 minutes ago

If the Jupiter Hotel is the original Portland hipster hotel, with a bit of a rowdy, late-night feel to it, then think of the forthcoming Jupiter NEXT across the street as its somewhat calmer, more reserved older sibling.

"I see it as the evolution of our customer," said Al Munguia, general manager of the hotels. "With Jupiter NEXT, you still have the true model of what we are, this funky, hip hotel with a fun live music venue. But now, I sort of want to get to bed at a little bit more reasonable hour. I want the comforts. I'll still have access to everything and be able to enjoy the party, but I'll also be able to retire out of it when I need to."

Located just across from the Jupiter Hotel and the Doug Fir Lounge at 800 E. Burnside St., the new six-story, 67-room hotel is entering the home stretch toward an early June opening. It's been under construction since mid-2016.
...(continues)

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 11:19 PM

Updated renderings from the recent design review...

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 11:39 PM

well... not as horrific as before, I guess. looks like someone might have an architect's crush on WPA. still a hot mess, though. the fucking stripes are killing me!

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 11:58 PM

Yikes

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland