HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 12:43 AM
TL;DR

Maybe a Yotel? Although there aren't many economy business travelers going to Lakeview (nor could they get there easily from the airports).

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Yes. That's exactly my plan.
Even through a forum, your biting sarcasm made me laugh. Thanks for that, it's been a long day.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 3:23 AM
Urbane observer

Well, I'm incredibly curious to know how you would divide a windowless building with 18,000-square-foot floorplates into 10- x 20-foot hotel rooms.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Mar 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 3:30 PM

Anything happening with the Wrigleyville hotel project?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 4:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Drove by last night on the way to dinner and it looks like there are three six flats going up in that location, all being marketed by Sergio Banks.

*** just google'd Sergio Banks and on their front page they have a blurb about this row of development. Three six flats, with 3/4 bed - 2 bath units, starting just a touch under $260K. http://www.sergioandbanks.com/video-...-killer-price/
Thanks for the scoop. I love that the gentrification is steadily marching Westwards. The drive between the Freeway and Boystown is absolutely thrilling because essentially an entire new neighborhood has been constructed along that street over the last decade. The architecture leaves something to be desired (though these are an improvement), but it's wonderfully refreshing to see a neighborhood getting denser instead of thinning out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
I was curious how many sites (vacant/surface lot/underused) were in these two areas that are of similar size to the 1601 W. Ashland site (which is 15,000SF) ...so off to Google Earth I went.

So really each node has only two vacant/surface lots of adequate size, while there are a total of five that are grossly underused (Walgreens, Bank, McD, KFC, Blockbuster). It doesn't seem like much, but Western in particular could do some serious bulking up without deviating from the main intersection.
Thanks for the visual, those lots are a lot bigger than I thought. I guess I forgot about all the parking in that area as well. The one lot I've got my eye on is right to the north of the bus turnaround at Logan Square. It's a HUGE lot and could be developed into a building twice the size of what is proposed for Polish Triangle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
You can read the free version at GlobeSt.

http://www.globest.com/news/12_310/c...wn-319745.html

Essentially Allstate has been unsuccessful trying to sell their South Barrington campus, so they're gonna tear it down in hopes that a cleared site will be more attractive to potential buyers. The nearby intersection of Higgins/59 has really exploded in the last few years with two huge retail developments, so this area has some potential. Unfortunately those retail developments cannot fill their spaces and office vacancy in the NW corridor is at 28%.
I actually have a client who might be interested in purchasing something like that. I forwarded that article and the listing to him. I doubt he'll buy as he just rejected out proposal to purchase Corporate 500, but drinks for all the Chicago forumers on me if he decides to send them a low ball offer that saves the building.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Well, I'm incredibly curious to know how you would divide a windowless building with 18,000-square-foot floorplates into 10- x 20-foot hotel rooms.
I don't believe you're incredibly curious. Since my plan was wishful thinking, I don't have to necessarily work out the details, or even be practical for that matter. The original building isn't very tall. After your theaters, lobbies, and retail are fit at the base, you'd be able to clear the historic facade and build your hotels rooms to whatever size, shape, and orientation you like....and yes with plenty of windows.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Thanks for the scoop. I love that the gentrification is steadily marching Westwards. The drive between the Freeway and Boystown is absolutely thrilling because essentially an entire new neighborhood has been constructed along that street over the last decade. The architecture leaves something to be desired (though these are an improvement), but it's wonderfully refreshing to see a neighborhood getting denser instead of thinning out.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. The architecture does leave something to be desired, but it seems like there's enough variation from building-to-building (even if it is from one subpar style to another) that the whole is somehow greater than the sum of its parts.

Here's a rendering of the development you were talking about. Sounds like you had already seen it though.

Not the greatest but at least it's a break from the historicism that predominates as you head farther east. Does anyone know if they knocked down this building to make way for it?:

Better image here on Google Street View.

I've always been unusually fond of it (love the glazed brick and bright red) and would be sad to see to hear that it's been demolished, although I know that, if it's still standing, its days are numbered anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I don't believe you're incredibly curious.
Just incredibly patronizing.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 7:25 PM

Old Viceroy Hotel Project - 1519 W Warren Blvd.

As much as I griped about this project for its typical CHA bloated budget, I have to say it looks like they are sparing no expense and the cleaned up stone and brickwork looks really nice.

The budget still sucks but this is a very unique building in Chicago and I'm glad it's being properly preserved.

This decorative brickwork on the western wall was previously painted over and it looks like they've sandblasted the building the entire way around:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 9:36 PM

^^^ I understand how someone might find this beautiful, but the color is a bit pallid. There are definitely buildings in the city I'd prefer to have seen restored.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 12:59 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I actually have a client who might be interested in purchasing something like that. I forwarded that article and the listing to him. I doubt he'll buy as he just rejected out proposal to purchase Corporate 500, but drinks for all the Chicago forumers on me if he decides to send them a low ball offer that saves the building.
Well, Corporate 500 is definitely a better location, with direct Metra access and excellent highway access. Unless your client lives in Barrington Hills it's unlikely that the Allstate property would be more attractive.

Plus, Corporate 500 is clad in friggin' white marble... North Shore $$$.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Deerfield wishes it were North Shore.

P.S. "Unconventionally bicoastal"? That's awesome.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 7:32 PM
TL;DR

As a former Barringtonite, anything east of the Tri-State and north of Old Orchard is North Shore...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 9:11 PM

Quote:
As a former Barringtonite, anything east of the Tri-State and north of Old Orchard is North Shore...
Biased?

Also, The North Shore will continue to expand (I've seen Inverness, even North Chicago, advertised as the North Shore) as long as sprawl cities (like Deerfield and Barrington) continue to be desirable enough that realtors can pawn them off as pieces of the "historic North Shore." But historically North Shore towns -- ones on the lake -- can be recognized because they are relatively walkable (they were built before many families had one, let alone two, cars). Though most adults will drive everywhere, the kids will walk and or bike the short distances to restaurants and friends houses.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 11:11 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Well, Corporate 500 is definitely a better location, with direct Metra access and excellent highway access. Unless your client lives in Barrington Hills it's unlikely that the Allstate property would be more attractive.

I'm surprised that area isn't even better utilized because I do think its by far the most potentially attractive and lucrative suburban area for office and commercial development in all the suburbs.

The space that the old and worn Deerfield Mall sits is just waiting to be completely revamped and made to be a major commercial district. Only with the Lake-Cook Rd. Metra stop hopefully something a bit more ped friendly then Schaumburg or Oakbrook.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 11:52 PM

Flagship Starbucks on rush has finished foundations. Ready to start seeing some fast progress.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 1:07 AM

^^^ thanks for the update. I've been waiting for that to start up again.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 2:20 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
The space that the old and worn Deerfield Mall sits is just waiting to be completely revamped and made to be a major commercial district. Only with the Lake-Cook Rd. Metra stop hopefully something a bit more ped friendly then Schaumburg or Oakbrook.
I agree. Lake-Cook Rd is the best place for a suburban Amtrak stop, if it is coupled with a large TOD. It has no nearby grade crossings and it's ideally sited to connect with Pace bus service. There is room for a large parking garage/transit terminal.

Unfortunately, the powers-that-be are already pursuing a plan to move Amtrak service up to The Glen, which is an even worse outcome than leaving it in Glenview. The station area at The Glen is attractive and pleasant in warm months but the little business district by the station is a joke (chiropractors instead of coffee shops) and the more substantial business district is 1/2 mile away. Plus, there are no Pace connections.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 5:34 PM
THAT Guy

Harper Court update

View from the tower crane:

Looking south

Harper Court/ Facebook
What the proposed Akira store (former Borders building) will look like

West
Harper Theater renovation, Kilwins shop, and hotel

Harper Court/ Facebook
Hyatt Place

North
Overlooking the proposed City Hyde Park

Harper Court/ Facebook

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 6:11 PM

Excellent update spyguy! Really great views.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 1:06 AM

I thought Harper Court was going on E 55th st. Guess I was wrong judging by the pictures. Is that shopping center on the 1500 block of E 55th st being redeloped too?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development