From Flickr, by bigbend700

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 6:40 AM

Very nice! it looks great. cant wait to ride it.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 2:29 PM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Gold Line Eastside Extension

Mariachi Plaza station...

What's with the big red pipe down the middle of the track? It kinda looks like sprinklers. Is this permanent? I've never seen that in a subway before.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 7:47 PM
500 foot Groundscraper

Maybe a feature in light rail subways or some new requirement for fire safety?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 12:22 AM

That's a really, really good looking station. Somehow it strikes me as incongruous to have such an elaborate station - with a full blown mezzanine or elaborate station house or whatever that is - for a line that is mostly at grade in the median of a street.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 2:51 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Yeah, the 1.8 miles of subway sort of offset the streetcar-like aspect of the rest of the line.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:20 AM

Really nice station. The sad thing is, with use and time, it's just gonna start looking ratty.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 4:31 AM

You mean like Westlake station, and Pershing Square

Anyway looks good, can't wait for it to open.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 5:15 AM

Well not just those, but most, if not all of the other subway stations. Even the Hollywood ones are already looking ratty.

But yeah, I can't wait for the extension to open! I'll be visiting Little Tokyo and the Arts District more, that's for sure. And if that restaurant near the Indiana Station is good, I'll be going into East LA too.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 1:14 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

News related to the Harbor Subdivision...

Torrance Transit Center Proposal Ready to Roll

By Nick Green, Staff Writer
August 31, 2009

Torrance is on the verge of regaining the transit center it lost more than four years ago.

The City Council tonight is expected to approve the $18 million purchase of a 15-acre site at 465 Crenshaw Blvd. It was once the home of the PPG Industries chemical plant, where paint coatings and resins were manufactured.

The city has spent nearly a year negotiating for the property that sits next to a railroad right of way. That could be converted into a commuter rail line connecting the city to Los Angeles International Airport.

"We're hoping someday in the future people will be able to drive down Crenshaw Boulevard, park their car (at the transit center) and take a train to LAX," Mayor Frank Scotto said.

Scotto said the property also would serve as a regional bus terminal, with a car-pool lane on Crenshaw connecting it to the San Diego (405) Freeway.

The key word here is "someday."

Torrance hopes to build the transit center within two years.

That would replace the former transit center at Del Amo Fashion Center that closed in January 2005, when a new parking structure was built where it sat.

Since then, the 3,000 bus riders who used the transit center daily have had to use a temporary one on Carson Street.

But it could take 10 years or longer - the light rail line isn't projected to receive funding until 2030 - for the transit center to be completely finished.

Still, the city is right in planning ahead, said Jacki Bacharach, executive director of the South Bay Cities Council of Governments. Doing so bolsters the chances that the South Bay won't be forgotten when its turn comes to receive money for a light rail line.

The regional group persuaded the Metropolitan Transportation Authority board in June to spend $5million to continue analyzing the project; MTA staff had recommended stopping all studies because the line is so far away from completion.

"We want to keep moving forward so our rail line is partially designed and ready to move onto the next step when that money is available," Bacharach said.

It's not only possible the line could connect with LAX to the north, but the Blue Line and Long Beach to the south as well as another light rail route that would end in downtown Los Angeles.

Only one-third of the former PPG site, located on Crenshaw between Del Amo Boulevard and Maricopa Street, is needed for the transit center, Scotto said.

The remainder could be sold off for other uses - El Camino College is looking at using a portion of it as a possible firefighter training center, for instance - to help subsidize the cost of building the transit hub.

Housing has been specifically ruled out by the seller, however, Scotto said.

Moreover, the city also has applied for almost $12 million in federal funding and has another $2.5 million set aside from a voter-approved measure to help pay for the land acquisition.

"We may end up acquiring a transit center for next to nothing," Scotto said.

The city hopes to complete the purchase by year's end.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 1:33 AM

L.A. works toward a revitalized, walkable Crenshaw (LA Times)

L.A. works toward a revitalized, walkable Crenshaw

The boulevard has long been dominated by cars, barber shops and churches, but city officials hope a new infusion of development and improvement projects will transform it into a vibrant corridor.

By Gerrick D. Kennedy
September 1, 2009

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5524581.story

Crenshaw Boulevard has long been known as main street for southwest Los Angeles, home to religious institutions and block after block of shops, including the landmark Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza shopping mall.

The car has always been king on Crenshaw -- so much so that police over the years have cracked down on weekend cruising that many consider a rite of passage. But now, city officials want to make Crenshaw more pedestrian-friendly as well, and in the process draw more customers to the boulevard.

"We want people to want to come here," said City Councilman Herb Wesson, who represents the area. "More importantly, if not equally, we want the people who live here to not have to drive as much. When you see that an area has had a face-lift, it's easier to get new developments."

The city and its Community Redevelopment Agency have earmarked $14.7 million for a variety of projects along the boulevard, including widening some sidewalks and installing bike racks, benches, shade trees and trash receptacles.

Wesson and other officials hope to take advantage of the Expo Line light-rail system, which will run between downtown L.A. and Culver City and has a stop on Crenshaw. The Expo Line is now under construction and expected to open in mid-2010. Transit officials have discussed another light-rail line that would run down Crenshaw, but that route is still in the early stages.

LeVert Young, a longtime resident of the Crenshaw district, said he welcomes any change to spruce up the boulevard.

But his wife, Debi, thinks that the current efforts don't go far enough and that improvements are needed to the surrounding residential neighborhoods as well.

"It's rough out here," said Debi Young, 55. "Why don't they work on lowering the rents out here, or refurbishing these roach-infested apartments? There's too many people living over here." She said it's even harder to live in the district if you don't drive.

When Patrick H. Johnson moved to Crenshaw more than nine months ago, he noticed that the district was lacking a certain spark that other areas in the city had.

"This needs to be a place of destination," said the 45-year-old artist. "This area needs an array of businesses, not just hair salons, churches and barbershops."

The efforts to improve Crenshaw's pedestrian flow come amid several new developments in the area. The Rosa Parks Villas -- a 60-unit affordable housing project for seniors -- is currently under construction just south of the 10 Freeway off Crenshaw Boulevard and is slated for completion by March 2010. Wesson envisions the villas as a gateway for the revitalized corridor that will stretch south to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

Michelle Banks-Ordone, project manager for the redevelopment agency, said the first phase of the improvement could begin in the summer of 2012. She and others said the challenge will be coaxing people to walk around on the boulevard that is so heavily trafficked by cars.

"Right now, it's more automobile-related. It doesn't allow interaction," said Robert Norris, director of operations of the West Angeles Community Development Corp. "Instead of going shopping someplace else or doing errands elsewhere, they can kinda stop here. That's something to look forward to."

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 3:24 AM

I hope this encourages acceleration of construction on the Crenshaw LRT.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 4:58 AM

Mariachi Plaza is quite nice and I'm glad that LA is getting into the public transport mood, but I don't understand why they're only opting for light rail. Not that I disapprove of it, but for the second largest city in the US and a surge of people moving in, LRT will reach capacity far too quickly. Even though subways are far more expensive, I'd rather see LA put in the money there and then re-zone to make it more successful and modern. Just my 2p (or cents as it is in the US).

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 5:28 AM

It's possible that down the line (and i'm talking decades from now) they may upgrade it to accommodate subway grade trains?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 6:36 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

SEPTEMBER 2, 2009 | Gold Line Eastside Extension

Gold Line Eastside Extension

Soto station...

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Mariachi Plaza is quite nice and I'm glad that LA is getting into the public transport mood, but I don't understand why they're only opting for light rail. Not that I disapprove of it, but for the second largest city in the US and a surge of people moving in, LRT will reach capacity far too quickly. Even though subways are far more expensive, I'd rather see LA put in the money there and then re-zone to make it more successful and modern. Just my 2p (or cents as it is in the US).
Wasn't the east side originally slated for an eastward extension of the Red Line?

I doubt they will upgrade this (or any of the light rail) to a subway line soon now that it's built. They have about 100 other, higher priorities for things to build that they would want to address first, before making such upgrades to an existing line.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 5:25 PM
Downtowner

I am so jealous of L.A.'s focus on mass transit. SD's system started out as the leader for the light rail revolution in the 80's. We even painted our livery all red as a swipe at LA's defunct red car. But since then ours has languised into a system that is only used to attend baseball and football games while yours has expanded into a system that is actually starting to be usable for daily ridership. When the subway is expanded to Santa Monica then you will really start to have a great system. I can't wait to be able to take the subway from Downtown to Weho or the beach and back.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 6:17 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ And that's the difference between what LA is doing compared to Phoenix and Dallas. For them, it's just for looks. For LA, it's actually about lifestyle changes.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 1:12 AM

Angelenos may have no choice since the region is so spread out.

BTW, why is there be only one escalator for each flight of stairs? That would mean only one direction, right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation