HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 4:55 AM

Not trying to jump pages but does harry potter have any fruition?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 2:16 PM

Much appreciation to Rgarri4!! just drops a bomb of models of west loop boom. And we kinda just expect it.. This is what is great about Chicago SSP - super talented members with skills in modeling, photogs, sleuthing, mapping - And all of the contributors with various expertise..

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:23 PM
Ω

Wouldn't it be amazing if they built a park deck over 90 around Randloph? Say from Washington up to Lake?

Like this:
https://www.enr.com/ext/resources/ar...as/1216i/1.jpg

I guess the on/off ramps make it a lot less feasible.

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jul 11, 2018 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 11:24 PM

Look up Kap the Kennedy. Its between Randolph and Jackson i believe.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:11 AM
1st Ward

^ Is it this?

http://www.ratiodesign.com/project/w...an-cap-kennedy

Source:ratiodesign.com

I remember this proposal from 5+ years ago. Obviously, the architects did not anticipate the West Loop boom we are now seeing, since everything west of Halsted looks pretty short.
I don't fully agree with their proposal to cut off (what appears to be) Monroe and Madison streets, although I understand the desire to have a larger, more contiguous park over the expressway.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:18 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

A park cap could be above the current street level on Madison and Monroe with pedestrian ramps.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ Is it this?

http://www.ratiodesign.com/project/w...an-cap-kennedy

Source:ratiodesign.com

I remember this proposal from 5+ years ago. Obviously, the architects did not anticipate the West Loop boom we are now seeing, since everything west of Halsted looks pretty short.
I don't fully agree with their proposal to cut off (what appears to be) Monroe and Madison streets, although I understand the desire to have a larger, more contiguous park over the expressway.
Bingo! Thats it.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 8:03 AM

And this is why I suggested removing on/off-ramps in the other thread. You can’t really cap the expressway without doing that.

One entrance/exit going westbound, one entrance/exit going eastbound (onto one-way streets). Signage just says “Loop”. One could build more sophisticated ramp infrastructure (like Manhattan’s tunnel approaches) to better handle traffic flow, but it’s really about optimizing the neighborhood and pedestrian experience.

What expressway anywhere has on- and off-ramps every block? The merging and lane changes required probably just create congestion. Generally speaking, the less choice you give drivers in where to go (one-ways, fewer lanes, segregating traffic lanes by ultimate destination with barriers), the smoother traffic flows.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:36 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
And this is why I suggested removing on/off-ramps in the other thread. You can’t really cap the expressway without doing that.

One entrance/exit going westbound, one entrance/exit going eastbound (onto one-way streets). Signage just says “Loop”. One could build more sophisticated ramp infrastructure (like Manhattan’s tunnel approaches) to better handle traffic flow, but it’s really about optimizing the neighborhood and pedestrian experience.

What expressway anywhere has on- and off-ramps every block? The merging and lane changes required probably just create congestion. Generally speaking, the less choice you give drivers in where to go (one-ways, fewer lanes, segregating traffic lanes by ultimate destination with barriers), the smoother traffic flows.
What you suggest would be nice but I'm thinking there would be a LOT of pushback especially since the Circle and Kennedy ramps will have all been rebuilt in the last 10 years. That was the time to plan for such a major change I'd think.

Realistically what I think is more likely and feasible is to cover the portions where you don't have to work your way around ramps. Such as between Wayman/Fulton, Fulton/Lake, Jackson/Van Buren and maybe Halsted/Peoria, Peoria/Morgan along the Ike. Start there and if deemed successful maybe there would be less resistance towards finishing the rest of the trenches along the Kennedy later.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Jul 12, 2018 at 12:23 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 10:46 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
What you suggest would be nice but I'm thinking there would be a LOT of pushback especially since the Circle and Ramps have all been rebuilt in the last 10 years. That was the time to plan for it such a major change I'd think.

Realistically what I think is more likely and feasible is to cover the portions where you don't have to work your way around ramps. Such as between Wayman/Fulton, Fulton/Lake, Jackson/Van Buren and maybe Halsted/Peoria, Peoria/Morgan along the Ike. Start there and if deemed successful maybe there would be less resistance towards finishing the rest of the trenches along the Kennedy later.
I second this idea.

If we reduce the number of ramps, it will just make the few streets that do have 90/94 access turn into Loop versions of Ohio/Ontario Streets, or Congress Parkway.

Hellish, fast moving, bumper to bumper traffic does not improve the pedestrian experience at all.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:18 PM
TL;DR

I think the city could make it work with some 4-lane frontage roads like Boston's Rose Kennedy Greenway. Consolidate all exiting traffic onto four ramps at the north end around Lake St... if you're going to Adams or Jackson you'd have to sit through a few lights, but then you're better off taking other exits along the Eisenhower like Canal, Racine, Congress.

Pedestrians would still be crossing traffic, but at least it would be "city" traffic that's already gone through a few stoplights rather than cars fresh off the expressway flying at 55mph up a ramp. Plus by consolidating into four ramps at the north end, you could have continuous rectangles of park space unbroken by ramps and neatly bounded by city streets on all four sides.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 5:45 PM

52 floors

615'

APPROVED BY PLAN COMMISSION

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 5:51 PM

Nice.

Please god let Related not VE the exterior to death.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 5:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

great!

i never thought i'd live to see 500' west of the kennedy, let alone 600'.

a true skyline expander.

bvic, do you know if the modest 4-floor height reduction was a NIMBY bone-throw or just a change in plans?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:19 PM

A buddy of mine was recently hired by Related/Equinox and might end up being a PM on this tower. Would love to get in on a construction tour of this once it's nearly topped out!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:39 PM
Development Shill

And the canyon continues to stretch up and out along the Kennedy. Fantastic

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 7:00 PM
BANNED

Whoa i'm totally shocked the nimby folks didn't get their way. HOORAY!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
great!

i never thought i'd live to see 500' west of the kennedy, let alone 600'.

a true skyline expander.

bvic, do you know if the modest 4-floor height reduction was a NIMBY bone-throw or just a change in plans?
Wasn't stated at the meeting, but there were no NIMBY's in attendance.

I told them they should be going full height seeing as they're being screwed on their other project (which isn't in stone at 36 floors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Whoa i'm totally shocked the nimby folks didn't get their way. HOORAY!
They were never really against this one as it's east of Halsted.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 7:27 PM
BANNED

Ah, I see. well, let the shadows loom long and this one's a beaut.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 8:09 PM

I'm glad the NIMBYs are conceding the freeway lots for taller buildings but we desperately need more height on the other side of Halsted so it will look like a city and not just a row of skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals