HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Excellent sleuthing, riichkay. .. Thank you.

re: Clara Barton Hospital

It all gets a bit more confusing because there appears to have been a Deaconess Home on the corner of Sunset and Custer that was being turned into a hospital in 1907.

Los Angeles Herald - March 14, 1907

The Plot Thickens.

I just found this earlier article (from March 9, 1904) that places the Deaconess Home at the corner of Custer and Bellevue Ave.

Los Angeles Herald

I wonder which corner is the correct one. . . .. Sunset Blvd. and Custer - or - Custer and Bellevue?
(of course this is an entirely different issue from the Clara Barton / Deanconess Hospital downtown at 447 S. Olive Street)

Say Goodnight, Gracie.
A similar place for homeless young women was opened on Clay Street in same years-- per a notice in L.A. Times pages

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 5:15 AM

Quote:

It all gets a bit more confusing because there appears to have been a Deaconess Home on the corner of Sunset and Custer that was being turned into a hospital in 1907.

I just found this earlier article (from March 9, 1904) that places the Deaconess Home at the corner of Custer and Bellevue Ave.

I wonder which corner is the correct one. . . .. Sunset Blvd. and Custer - or - Custer and Bellevue?

The Deaconess Home/Hospital was at the corner of Sunset and Custer.

loc.gov - Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Los Angeles 1906

A picture from back in the thread.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 7:20 PM

Excellent! Thanks Noir Noir.

Here's a curious photograph I just saw on eBay.

"VINTAGE PHOTOGRAPH SIGNS MAGNETIC HILL LONG BEACH LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA PHOTO"

eBay

So is this one of those 'Magnetic Hills' that supposedly defies gravity or just a normal street? (on a hill)

I vaguely recall watching a video of a so called 'magnetic hill' in one of the cemeteries in Los Angeles. ..Does this sound familiar to anyone or am I hallucinating?

UPDATE:

I decided to include a close-up of the buildings at the bottom of the hill.

DETAIL

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 17, 2024 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 8:10 PM

Thanks for sharing this pic. of the Clara Barton Hospital, odinthor.

ODINTHOR COLLECTION

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Here's a curious photograph I just saw on eBay.

"VINTAGE PHOTOGRAPH SIGNS MAGNETIC HILL LONG BEACH LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA PHOTO"

eBay

So is this one of those 'Magnetic Hills' that supposedly defies gravity or just a normal street? (on a hill)

I vaguely recall watching a video of a so called 'magnetic hill' in one of the cemeteries in Los Angeles. ..Does this sound familiar to anyone or am I hallucinating?

Google Books

This piece does not name the the street, but it matches another description which says it is St. Ives Dr. The straight stretch between Doheny Dr. and the sharp left turn is about 200 feet, like the description says. I can't match any buildings, though.

Another description of Hollywood's Magnetic Hill, which includes a transcription of the sign being read by Sherlock in the above graphic.

Last edited by Mackerm; Apr 19, 2024 at 6:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 7:12 PM

These two aerial photos were posted in 2014 by HossC, HERE.

The intersection of Crescent Heights Blvd. and Fountain Ave. showing the Dustin Farnum (sometimes written as Farnham) house on the southeast corner, which was the Hollywood Guild and Canteen for a period of years in the '40s.

The 1952 aerial was blurry, so HossC posted this 1972 aerial showing the same replacement buildings that were in the 1952 aerial.

There is a scene in the film A Star is Born, using this apartment building as a location where Judy Garland lives, the Oleander Arms. I posted a night time screencap of that in 2014 as well.

I had only ever heard of that apartment building being called the Oleander Arms, so I thought, perhaps, that was the actual name of the place. Perhaps not.

In a recent post on J.H. Graham's informative site, HERE, it's noted that the Hollywood Guild Canteen had an auction of its furnishings on 10/26/48 and officially closed on October 27. The new owner was W.E. Clark and he had that whole area demolished almost immediately. He developed the property with a 64-unit colonial-style apartment complex known as the Greenbriar Apartments. It opened on August 29, 1949. [Less than a year later!]

J.H.Graham/WWII

This is the first I've heard of the name "Greenbriar Apartments." Searches don't offer much further information about that place or reveal any other photos, nor indicate the name may have been changed for the film a few years later.

Also: At one point I mentioned on NLA that, unless I'm utterly confused, I remember TV news back in 1983 when they'd restored the A Star is Born film and having new showings of it, that there was a successful effort to actually save/move this apartment building, or at least a part of it, that was used in the film. I believe there was footage of them moving it. In 1985 the new apartment complex built there opened, seen in the aerial below from HossC from the same link at the start, above.

Back when making these original posts about the location I'd tried searching for ANY information to verify these memories and came up with nothing about it anywhere.

Maybe, as Patsy Cline sang, "I'm "

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post
This piece
does not name the the street, but it matches another description which says it is St. Ives Dr. The straight stretch between Doheny Dr. and the sharp left turn is about 200 feet, like the description says.
I can't match any buildings, though.
Thanks so much for the information and links about Magnetic Hills, Mackerm.

I might have solved one of the discrepancies in the LaDailyMirror article below.

Max Weinstock at ladailymirror

Note at the end where the author states the mystery deepens because St. Ives is east of Doheny, not west. (so the whole part about it being regraded and 'demagnetized' is wrong)

I believe the place they should be talking about is Magnetic Terrace which branches (west) off of N. Doheny at the very end of Thrush Way...Doheny Dr. is in the upper right corner. (directly below)

To get your bearings.

As you can see I've placed an arrow where Doheny starts to make its trek up into the hills. I've also circled St. Ives Dr. .. Magnetic Terrace is at upper right just above the 'Bird Streets'.

It's hard to tell but that car is slowly inching its way uphill. (I'm kidding)

Would anyone like to drive up there and see if you experience the anomoly?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 19, 2024 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 9:21 PM

LAPL Amusement Map of Los Angeles County, 1929

Some history articles referred to this map, which does indicate Villa Dr. (Now St. Ives Dr., which goes all the way to Doheny.) But as I say, I'm less sure that it is the site where the eBay photo was taken.

Now excuse me while I look up Russian Eagle.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 6:15 PM

^^^

What does it say, on the map, below-to the right, of Russian Eagle? Sunset Riding?
___

According to this article on L.A. Curbed (Link HERE) titled The Early History of the Sunset Strip:

Sunset Plaza was soon occupied by real estate developers, insurance offices, and a gift shop owned by a Romanian art dealer named Michael Tocaxe. Its most famous tenant was the dimly lit Russian Eagle Café, a restaurant and reputed speakeasy at 8648 Sunset owned by General Theodore Lodijensky, a former Russian Imperial Army officer and movie bit player.

Called a “haunt of motion-picture stars” by the Los Angeles Times, the café was frequented by silent stars including Rudolph Valentino, John Barrymore, Alla Nazimova, and Ramon Novarro. According to Sheila Weller, author of Dancing at Ciro’s, it was rumored that opium was smoked in the exclusive back room.

The evening of June 7, 1928 was a typical star-studded night at the Russian Eagle. Boxer Jack Dempsey and his movie-star wife Estelle Taylor had just left. Though reports vary, it seems Charlie Chaplin, Gloria Swanson’s husband Marquis de la Falaise, director Eddie Sutherland, actress Lili Damita, and movie-star Colleen Moore were all still on the premises when tenants noticed oil soaking through the ceiling.

Soon the smell of gas filled the Russian Eagle. A fire broke out. Its county address was this time a nuisance, as it took forever for the fire department to arrive. Chaplin and Sutherland, holding a hose, helped battle the blaze.

Minutes later, with the blaze under control, Lodijensky and fire officials went to the basement to check the gas meter. They were met by a massive explosion that threw them to the ground and destroyed the Russian Eagle.

Gossip about who had started the fire spread swiftly thorough out LA’s café society. Lodijensky’s cousin told the Los Angeles Times he believed “the explosion was the work of rival restaurant owners or members of a liquor ring.”

But it was quickly determined Tocaxe, the Romanian gift shop owner with an imperfect grasp of the English language, was the main culprit. The public was titillated, and the Los Angeles Times reported on the arson trial daily.

When Tocaxe took the stand in his defense, he claimed the fire and subsequent explosion had been heaven sent. “It was an act of God,” he claimed according to the Los Angeles Times. “I frequently burned candles to the Virgin and through this form of worship the hanging on the wall caught fire and started the disaster.”

The jury was out for only 20 minutes before convicting Tocaxe of arson.

___

I saw this ad for the place on a website titled: From Captains to Movie General.
The article on the page is written all in Russian. Link HERE.

The Curbed article has the address as 8648 Sunset Blvd. and the ad has it listed at 8428 Sunset Blvd. The 8428 address is across the street from the Ciro's location, the 8648 address is around the Sunset Plaza area.

Martin Turnbull's website indicates that after the fire the place relocated to the Plaza Hotel in Hollywood as The Russian Eagle Cafe and Gardens and closed in 1935. It was followed in that location by the Cinnabar and then Clara Bow's IT Café.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Apr 21, 2024 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 6:29 PM

Hollywood Country Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post

LAPL Amusement Map of Los Angeles County, 1929

Some history articles referred to this map, which does indicate Villa Dr. (Now St. Ives Dr., which goes all the way to Doheny.) But as I say, I'm less sure that it is the site where the eBay photo was taken.

Now excuse me while I look up Russian Eagle.
Mackerm, just as you are interested in discovering what the heck "The Russian Eagle" was (me too), your 1929 map has me intrigued by "the Hollywood Country Club," AKA "Hollywood Hills Country Club."
There is a very interesting article on the faded memory & mystery of the supposed country club, which states that "Other than a street called Fairview Drive which descends down to Ventura Boulevard near Jerry's Deli, not a single trace of the once expansive Country Club exists. Over the years, Harvard Westlake (school) demolished all traces including the club house, at least three residences, and the riding stables.
https://employeelawca.com/vintagela/...lscountryclub/

The article's author states that he couldn't find a single photograph of any element of the Hollywood Country Club - other than the picture of a tiny storybook cottage/office at the entrance, alongside a prominent sign - and that it was apparently one of many schemes by L.A. real-estate promoters and developers, some of whose names will be familiar to NLA readers.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Sunset Plaza was soon occupied by real estate developers, insurance offices, and a gift shop owned by a Romanian art dealer named Michael Tocaxe. Its most famous tenant was the dimly lit Russian Eagle Café, a restaurant and reputed speakeasy at 8648 Sunset owned by General Theodore Lodijensky, a former Russian Imperial Army officer and movie bit player.

Called a “haunt of motion-picture stars” by the Los Angeles Times, the café was frequented by silent stars including Rudolph Valentino, John Barrymore, Alla Nazimova, and Ramon Novarro. According to Sheila Weller, author of Dancing at Ciro’s, it was rumored that opium was smoked in the exclusive back room.

The evening of June 7, 1928 was a typical star-studded night at the Russian Eagle. Boxer Jack Dempsey and his movie-star wife Estelle Taylor had just left. Though reports vary, it seems Charlie Chaplin, Gloria Swanson’s husband Marquis de la Falaise, director Eddie Sutherland, actress Lili Damita, and movie-star Colleen Moore were all still on the premises when tenants noticed oil soaking through the ceiling.

Soon the smell of gas filled the Russian Eagle. A fire broke out. Its county address was this time a nuisance, as it took forever for the fire department to arrive. Chaplin and Sutherland, holding a hose, helped battle the blaze.

Minutes later, with the blaze under control, Lodijensky and fire officials went to the basement to check the gas meter. They were met by a massive explosion that threw them to the ground and destroyed the Russian Eagle.

Gossip about who had started the fire spread swiftly thorough out LA’s café society. Lodijensky’s cousin told the Los Angeles Times he believed “the explosion was the work of rival restaurant owners or members of a liquor ring.”

But it was quickly determined Tocaxe, the Romanian gift shop owner with an imperfect grasp of the English language, was the main culprit. The public was titillated, and the Los Angeles Times reported on the arson trial daily.

When Tocaxe took the stand in his defense, he claimed the fire and subsequent explosion had been heaven sent. “It was an act of God,” he claimed according to the Los Angeles Times. “I frequently burned candles to the Virgin and through this form of worship the hanging on the wall caught fire and started the disaster.”

The jury was out for only 20 minutes before convicting Tocaxe of arson.

___

I saw this ad for the place on a website titled: From Captains to Movie General.
The article on the page is written all in Russian. Link HERE.

The Curbed article has the address as 8648 Sunset Blvd. and the ad has it listed at 8428 Sunset Blvd. The 8428 address is across the street from the Ciro's location, the 8648 address is around the Sunset Plaza area.

Martin Turnbull's website indicates that after the fire the place relocated to the Plaza Hotel in Hollywood as The Russian Eagle Cafe and Gardens and closed in 1935. It was followed in that location by the Cinnabar and then Clara Bow's IT Café.

Back in 2015 e_r posted a photo of the Russian Eagle after the fire and explosion:

Quote:
"Terrific blast nearly kills scores of screen stars.!" -Hollywood Cal.

eBay

"Charles Chaplin, Colleen Moore and a score of other Hollywood's greatest stars narrowly escaped death when an explosion completely wrecked the American-Russian Eagle Cafe here. Eight persons were injured, two probably fatally. The stars were dining when an incendiary fire was discovered and warnings shouted. Soon after the diners rushed out, the building was completely wrecked by a terrific detonation."
06/21/1928.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-Hollywo...-/271705076419

Here's an article about a later incarnation of the Russian Eagle:

July 5, 1933, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LA Public Library

There are a couple other posts about Lodijensky and the Russian Eagle on NLA page 1458.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:12 PM

Thanks for posting that Flyingwedge. Didn't occur to me to search NLA first as one normally would. That great photo E_R originally posted doesn't come up anywhere in online searches for this place. A great find nearly a decade ago, E_R!

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:08 PM

If it makes you feel any better, Martin Pal, I had forgotten all about the old Russian Eagle explosion photograph... I'm just grateful that Flyingwedge remembered it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:28 PM

I know that we've seen 'iceberg' themed ice cream shops, dance halls (I think) and ice skating rinks (two, if I remember correctly) - one in Westwood and one in East Hollywood.
but have we seen an 'iceberg' themed service/gas station?

Seller's description:..."PHOTOGRAPH ICEBERG GAS STATION ROADSIDE ATTRACTION LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA PHOTO"

Just listed on eBay

Perhaps we have seen it & I simply forgot about it but I doubt it.

Old Posted Today, 3:42 AM

Here's an extremely rare view of the interior the the old Zulu Hut.

eBay..Seller asking $100.00.

Ina Moore appears to have worked as a hostess. (per the writing)

Can anyone dicipher what's written in the top right corner? I believe it's an address or location.

Old Posted Today, 5:49 AM

I believe that says "E. Broad East of Washington."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos