HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 2:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 11:50 AM

7 supertalls either under construction and visible in this one image or have been completed within the last year. 10 if you count supertalls finished within the last 4 years. And to think that NYC only had 10 buildings over 1000 feet completed in its history before 4 years ago. Pretty jaw dropping.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
7 supertalls either under construction and visible in this one image or have been completed within the last year. 10 if you count supertalls finished within the last 4 years.
And it's just starting. Billionaires Row, Hudson Yards, the rezoned Midtown East, are all in their infancy.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:26 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Don't forget NoMad/5th Ave.....

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
And it's just starting. Billionaires Row, Hudson Yards, the rezoned Midtown East, are all in their infancy.
Yup. I am begging for one developer to unleash just a single Megatall in this city. This is the only place it belongs and the only place it can be. But it would be absolutely stunning in every possible way regardless of design as long as it's not one of those needle, space tower kinda concepts. But an actually tower at or around 2000 feet would be jaw dropping.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 6:00 PM

Whats the tower off to the left of 432 there under construction?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 6:27 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Looks like 138 E 50th @800' even, which looks topped out..

From YIMBY New York:

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

7 supertalls either under construction and visible in this one image or have been completed within the last year. 10 if you count supertalls finished within the last 4 years. And to think that NYC only had 10 buildings over 1000 feet completed in its history before 4 years ago. Pretty jaw dropping.
http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/city/new-york-city

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 1:27 AM
BANNED

That's why it's called "The City," chaos!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:15 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.enr.com/articles/43831-h...hattan-skyline

Hudson Yards Emerges on West Manhattan Skyline

January 25, 2018
Tom Stabile

Quote:
The volume of activity makes for a massive logistical challenge, Tutor says. “Constant coordination among all the [participants] has been an important issue. It’s a tremendous amount of work all on one site.” That coordination must loop many consultants and contractors, including 10 primary architects, five structural and civil engineering firms and so far two contractors—Tutor Perini and Tishman Construction, a unit of AECOM.

The development must eventually integrate into the larger 34th Street corridor, which the team has strived to do in its outreach efforts despite its overall size complicating matters in a purely physical sense, Biederman says.

“Hudson Yards has done better than most, but there are still pieces where it feels overwhelming, where the streetscape is going to feel out of scale with adjacent buildings,” he says. “And there is a 10th Avenue gap between Hudson Yards and the Brookfield development [to the east] that troubles me—it’s probably not going to be pleasant for pedestrians.” But Hudson Yards will score well on other features, such as its interplay with the High Line urban park and its fluid connection with the new station for the No. 7 subway line, Biederman says. “It’s probably more connected to the city than other major new urban developments,” he says.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:50 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ its true that bridging hudson yards with the mw brookfield yards development is going to be a big challenge.

its very inhospitable as it is.

something creative has to be done with that 10th ave/w31st/dyer block. i know a tower is slated. maybe make w31st pedestrian between 9th and 10th aves too.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ its true that bridging hudson yards with the mw brookfield yards development is going to be a big challenge.

its very inhospitable as it is.

something creative has to be done with that 10th ave/w31st/dyer block. i know a tower is slated. maybe make w31st pedestrian between 9th and 10th aves too.

I posted this in the MW thread, but it's the retail that they are counting on to activate the streets and walkways. But that, together with the crash of tourists will animate that stretch in a way that isn't evident today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 10:16 PM

I finally got to New York, and got to see a lot of the new skyscrapers. It was on Saturday, so visibility was limited, but I got a few of Hudson Yards.

Needless to say, even though that's the closest I got to them, they were still very impressive in real life. All those cranes rising at once is something that we haven't seen in this country probably since the Rockefeller Center, and one we may not see again for a long time.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Needless to say, even though that's the closest I got to them, they were still very impressive in real life. All those cranes rising at once is something that we haven't seen in this country probably since the Rockefeller Center, and one we may not see again for a long time.
It's something I don't take seeing for granted. And the Hudson Yards isn't even the most impressive site in the City. Long Island City is very impressive for it's rising cranes, Downtown Brooklyn has seen a lot. Multiple cranes rising now around "billionaires row". But eventually things will calm down a bit as we adjust to the new skyline. The skyline itself will be taken for granted eventually, but it all had to be built sometime, and we are getting to witness it now. Imagine if instagram was around when the Empire State went up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfFEk96A...edgard_barbosa

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfHWIK0D...=therealreider

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfHFrA1l...onne.caruthers

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfGt8iNH...y=javitscenter

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 13, 2018 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 11:50 PM
Illustrator

I don't mean to alarm anyone but it's cantilever time
You can kind of see the beginning of the observation deck in the steel jutting out to the side.

Rafael Giraldo Villasana

Mine from today (Feb 13)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:51 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Thanks. More from today....

FEBRUARY 13, 2018

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:51 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Dave Krugman

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 15, 2018 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:16 AM

^from numerous angles now, the ESB is slowly but surely losing its dominance on the skyline. I feel sort of bittersweet about this

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 10:51 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
^from numerous angles now, the ESB is slowly but surely losing its dominance on the skyline. I feel sort of bittersweet about this
In some ways, yes. However, especially in these days, I've come to think of the Empire State Building as less the single-most dominant form within Midtown, but more the centerpiece of it, and of Manhattan. They can build crowns of towers higher and higher around the Empire State, but at 34th and 5th, it'll always be the jewel at the very center of it all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive