HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 4:51 AM

I don't have news about the Rona site, but looks like Wal-Mart and Loblaws (RCSS?) are moving into the nearby Sage Hill Crossing.

RioCan Press Release (May 3):

"During the three months ended March 31, 2013, RioCan acquired a 50% interest in Sage Hill Crossing... A Letter of Intent is in place with Wal-Mart for a land lease and a binding offer to lease has been executed with Loblaws for a 45,000 square foot store. Development is expected to commence during the summer of 2013."

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...un-1786241.htm

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 9:49 PM

I dont see anything viable going in this space. With the addtion of the large complex going up in Evanston (sobeys et al) The only traffic thats going in there is Kincora and maybe some of Hidden Valley if theyre lucky. They'd be better off building residential in there

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 11:14 PM

Depending on the size of the Walmart, I could be a shopper at the Sage Hill location. The Royal Oak Walmart is very small by Walmart standards (should not be a Super Centre but they have squeezed in Grocery section anyways). Also the access points into the mall are very poor and I avoid the area all ready.

My preferred Walmart is either Deerfoot Mall or Airdrie. the Mrs likes Airdrie because there is also a Five Guys and Nathan's Hot Dogs nearby.

A true large box Walmart at Sage Hill is fine by me.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Depending on the size of the Walmart, I could be a shopper at the Sage Hill location. The Royal Oak Walmart is very small by Walmart standards (should not be a Super Centre but they have squeezed in Grocery section anyways). Also the access points into the mall are very poor and I avoid the area all ready.

My preferred Walmart is either Deerfoot Mall or Airdrie. the Mrs likes Airdrie because there is also a Five Guys and Nathan's Hot Dogs nearby.

A true large box Walmart at Sage Hill is fine by me.

Which makes Creekside completly useless

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningSteel View Post
Which makes Creekside completly useless
Creekside retail area serves a huge important purpose. It also has the advantage of being near two major roads realizing a major catchment area of potential customers. As a Co-op customer perspective living in Citadel, Creekside take less travel time than either Hamptons, Crowfoot, or Rocky Ridge although these locations are closer geographically.

About the only retail complex I am interested in Sage Hill area is the afore mentioned large format Walmart. Putting in another grocery store, home improvement, or other retail is likely to be unimpressive. Expanding the footprint of Royal Oak Walmart serves the same purpose.

The grocery stores for Panorama/Panatella (Save-on) and Evanston (Sobeys) are unlikely to be huge sucess. Both location suffer from poor road access to anyone who live outside the immediate community. I think these location will end up siumilar to Co-op's Rocky Ridge experiment, unsucessful with long term hope of barely breaking even, all due to poor access.

A final question for the Save-on retail in Panorama/Panatella, is there enough room for a second grocery store such as Co-op? I ask because the retail complex includes a Co-op Gas Bar that has locator of Store 23. In co-op parlance this implies there will be a future retail Co-op complex (Grocery, liqour, gas). I am wondering aloud if Co-op made a corporate decision to let the grocery business go to Save-On Foods.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Creekside retail area serves a huge important purpose. It also has the advantage of being near two major roads realizing a major catchment area of potential customers. As a Co-op customer perspective living in Citadel, Creekside take less travel time than either Hamptons, Crowfoot, or Rocky Ridge although these locations are closer geographically.

About the only retail complex I am interested in Sage Hill area is the afore mentioned large format Walmart. Putting in another grocery store, home improvement, or other retail is likely to be unimpressive. Expanding the footprint of Royal Oak Walmart serves the same purpose.

The grocery stores for Panorama/Panatella (Save-on) and Evanston (Sobeys) are unlikely to be huge sucess. Both location suffer from poor road access to anyone who live outside the immediate community. I think these location will end up siumilar to Co-op's Rocky Ridge experiment, unsucessful with long term hope of barely breaking even, all due to poor access.

A final question for the Save-on retail in Panorama/Panatella, is there enough room for a second grocery store such as Co-op? I ask because the retail complex includes a Co-op Gas Bar that has locator of Store 23. In co-op parlance this implies there will be a future retail Co-op complex (Grocery, liqour, gas). I am wondering aloud if Co-op made a corporate decision to let the grocery business go to Save-On Foods.
If you like shopping at Co-Op then sure why not. However thats all thats there. I dont know who shops there on a regular basis as their prices are out to lunch on most things especially alcohol. The one in Royal Oak suffers because theres nothing else to drap people in and the London Drugs and Walmart are literally 3 mins from there

So much in that complex has come and gone over the years that the location isnt doing them much good. Add in the expansion of Shaganappi Trail and you could argue it's proximity to Stoney is the best thing going, which the Panorama area also benefits from (only half traffic now as no connection from WB)

Those grocery stores in Evanston and Panoroma will do just as well as the Tuscany Sobeys has done. I am sure people are tired of having to leave the neighborhoods and deal with the ever increasing traffic issues that part of town is encountering as long as they keep the prices fair they will do fine.

As for the Co-Op gas bars there are other stand alone gas bars in Calgary and I think its a business decision they made with the need for a true gas station in Panorama, it seems to be doing quite well (52 Ave SE and the 64 Av NE for example)

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 2:54 PM

I heard from someone who sites on a local community board that Target just received their city approvals to take over this site.

Too bad Target in Canada has been a let down.

Dont know why this was kept so quiet either.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningSteel View Post
I heard from someone who sites on a local community board that Target just received their city approvals to take over this site.

Too bad Target in Canada has been a let down.

Dont know why this was kept so quiet either.
The Creekside site will be one of the first nonZellers Target locations. There is also enough room for Target Corp to bring in the Super Target format.

Based on my experiences from going into Targets in the Denver area, the Super Target format is what Canadians were hoping for, but the regular Target is what got put into the Zellers stores due to square footage concerns.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 8:47 PM

I actually really love Target. To each their own I guess...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
I actually really love Target. To each their own I guess...
The us stores sure.....the Canadian ones look like Zellers without the Zeddy brands.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 8:28 PM

The Creekside Rona site still sits vacant. In the past year:
  • Evanston Sobey's has opened
  • Symons Valley Ranch (5 minutes north by car) has converted to a farmer's market
  • Target's Canadian expansion has been disappointing

Construction of the Wal-Mart at the nearby Sage Hill Crossing is also underway.

Details: http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Docume...f?noredirect=1

Last edited by sleepyant; Jul 20, 2014 at 8:40 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues