HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
This week, the Saporta Report takes an in-depth look at the Atlanta Beltline/ Streetcar System Plan's four phases and, like us, is peeved to find the Peachtree Streetcar so far down the list. "I believe that streetcar lines must first be built in corridors where they can prove their value — where they can attract the most riders and stimulate lively urban developments that encourage walkability," Maria Saporta writes. "A Peachtree Streetcar could help create a seamless central commercial spine that would rival any other business-retail-residential district in the region." A Beltline transit official explains the project pecking order was determined by five "guiding principles" — project readiness, practicality and ridership, equity, financial options and development impact. Hmm
from atlanta.curbed.com
Saporta makes a good point. Many of these new routes would go to very low density areas with little or no commercial development.

Shouldn't we work on enhancing transit in the parts of the city that are already groaning under population and jobs growth? That would seem especially critical in view of the limited transportation funds available.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 11:13 PM

Well, I have a question....Are they shutting down the lanes that the streetcar is ridden on or their going to keep it exactly the same.I know this question might sound stupid but, i'm still trying to learn the streetcar design/layout.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Well, I have a question....Are they shutting down the lanes that the streetcar is ridden on or their going to keep it exactly the same.I know this question might sound stupid but, i'm still trying to learn the streetcar design/layout.
the lanes will remain open, so the streetcar will move around in mixed traffic.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 7:07 PM

Spectacular MultiModal Terminal Vision

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Apr 21, 2014 at 10:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 9:15 PM

A place like no other

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
This is an incredible presentation. If this becomes real, Atlanta's MMPT will create a world-class city center- as beautiful as it is functional. I'm blown away. Thanks for posting smArTaLlone

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 4:09 AM

^Same here! Thanks so much, smArTaLlone. This is absolutely beautiful.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 6:12 AM

^^^ Very cool presentation of MMPT. I especially like the extension and re-establishment of the East-West streets of Wall Street and Alabama Street. I also like the refurbishment/utilization of the ground-level/underground of Downtown Atlanta that the MMPT proposes.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 12:50 PM

Did anybody else notice they spelled "tickets" wrong several times in the MMPT video? Very sloppy mistake in an otherwise cool video.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the lanes will remain open, so the streetcar will move around in mixed traffic.
I have noticed that there are some street car only lanes on a few streets. I've noticed them near Carnegie and by the ferris wheel.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 4:00 PM
Development Spectator

The MMPT is a great idea. Unfortunately money, which is a significant hurdle on its own, is not the only issue. For this MMPT to be a reality there has to be a confluence of each of the following unlikely developments:

1. Commuter rail - there is not currently any commuter rail in Atlanta. At a minimum you probably need 2-3 commuter rail lines for this to be a reality. What would be the cost of this? $3 billion? The political will of the Georgia legislature? Federal investment?

2. Adoption and growth of the street car system - clearly there is a plan in place for this but the first small section is not open yet. How will the streetcar be adopted? Will there be the money for it to grow?

3. Significant business growth in the downtown area. This seems to adopt the "build it and they will come" mentality. The high rise growth they have in mind looks to be about twice the size as Atlantic Station. Does anyone need to be reminded that there are still empty development spots in Atlantic Station?

4. The rerouting of Amtrak. I've heard several times on this page that Amtrak has a policy of not incorporating spur lines - they want stations on the main line. This is not on any current Amtrak line. To incorporate Amtrak as part of this plan they would need to change the current policy or reroute their line through Atlanta.

This list is probably not all inclusive but the point is even if there was the money to build this in the next 10 years these additional obstacles remain.

I think the MMPT would be great but I do not see it as a dream for Atlanta but a dream for a different Atlanta. If 20-30 years ago we had this vision and much of the growth in Midtown and Atlantic Station was targeted towards this area I could see this being realistic, but that's not the case. I look forward to being surprised.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:42 PM

One train station or another is bound to be built soon since the current Amtrak station is in such disrepair. If you ask me the most likely location is 17th and Northside, which passenger trains already pass through. Although MARTA doesn't serve it directly there are dedicated bus and bike lanes between it and Arts Center station, and Arts Center is a hub for every major transit system in the metro. The MMPT looks good on paper but I think it faces the unfortunate reality of being a solution looking for a problem. It doesn't seem like there are enough people using buses and trains in this part of the country to justify the scale of it.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
One train station or another is bound to be built soon since the current Amtrak station is in such disrepair. If you ask me the most likely location is 17th and Northside, which passenger trains already pass through. Although MARTA doesn't serve it directly there are dedicated bus and bike lanes between it and Arts Center station, and Arts Center is a hub for every major transit system in the metro. The MMPT looks good on paper but I think it faces the unfortunate reality of being a solution looking for a problem. It doesn't seem like there are enough people using buses and trains in this part of the country to justify the scale of it.
They were plans / talks about this happening, but haven't heard anything about this in awhile. http://www.ajc.com/news/news/transpo...nsit-hu/nWLjy/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 3:24 PM
AK

The last concrete was layed this morning for the streetcar tracks they also started hanging wire we should start seeing testing in the next mouth or so

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 8:47 PM

Can't wait, I just recently saw it on the news

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 9:02 PM

Clayton on the road to restoring transit

Interesting how the economy turns north and people start thinking about investing in transit

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/c...transit/nfKhY/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 2:36 AM
AK

Im suprise no one went but to take pictures of the streetcar they have been outside for about a week now

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 11:47 PM

Transit's a Peach

Architect's Newspaper's article on the MMPT

Quote:
As with most all Sunbelt cities, Atlanta is known for its sprawling development, network of freeways, and reliance on the automobile. Today, however, a series of studies suggest that the city is urbanizing, and local leaders are pushing for new mass transit options as a regional solution to mobility. One ambitious project currently in development by the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) and a coalition of local and regional partners could create a Multi-Modal Passenger Terminal (MMPT) that would serve as the centerpiece to a new $1.5 billion, 120-acre, transit-oriented neighborhood on the edge of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 6:48 AM
AK

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I Counted 27 stories not included the rest of the tower!!! It does not looks like its 27 stories

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 4:26 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
I Counted 27 stories not included the rest of the tower!!! It does not looks like its 27 stories
This is not a rendering of a potential building, its a project concept with a proposed design for the MMPT. All of those buildings you see are placeholders. No one has designed any building to be constructed in that area, seriously proposed one or even leading the charge to build one. As part of the concept for this MMPT they have identified several areas that may be part of future development. If any building is built in that spot ever, whether or not the MMPT is built, it could be anywhere from 1 to 220 stories. Or perhaps a parking garage. No reason to count stories on a building that isn't being proposed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta