HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie00 View Post
I found this pretty interesting... So I was scrolling through I think it was the YVR thread and someone had mentioned a post about Westjets international growth plan(link below). So I took a look at it and sure enough if you follow the lines correctly there seems to be a link between YWG-Hawaii.

Not sure if this will end up happening as its a potential route map but in my opinion this would be a popular winter route.

https://twitter.com/ClaireFromYVR/st...78091050287104
Looked like one to Europe as well couldn't figure out fr YWG it was going too

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
Looked like one to Europe as well couldn't figure out fr YWG it was going too
My guess is that it's the Gatwick flight but its hard to tell from the map

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 5:11 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

It could be Gatwick or maybe further into Europe, like Amsterdam or Paris.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 5:41 AM
BANNED

I'm guessing it's the already existing Gatewick route, maybe extending our frequency of service.
We need to see a close-up of that map to be certain. And hopefully Westjet will be announcing something regarding this soon as well.

But hey, regardless, at least we made it onto "the map"

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 4:00 PM

If you have the planes to spare an approximately once weekly flight from YWG to EU makes sense, especially if you can make the economics work for leisure travellers, even more so if you can land it in one of the major EU hub airports.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:15 AM

and i so thought it was air Canada or maybe it was westjet that said with the new 737 max planes that both of them are getting can fly to places in Europe from like Winnipeg because of the longer range or something like that... prob wrong tho...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
and i so thought it was air Canada or maybe it was westjet that said with the new 737 max planes that both of them are getting can fly to places in Europe from like Winnipeg because of the longer range or something like that... prob wrong tho...
Just did a quick look on greatcirlcemapper.net and it does appear the MAX 8 and 9 can reach to Europe but it's pretty constrained to mostly the UK, Ireland and Iceland. The MAX 7 can go a bit farther and covers most of western Europe. However the MAX also looks like it has places like Hawaii on the edge of it's range. Maybe in the future, expansion from YWG will be to these long and thin destinations... If they do well I can see us getting either upgauged to a widebody aircraft or more frequencies.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 1:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Winnipeg to London is about ~6300km, so it's just inside the range of the 737 MAX. Anything else on the continent might be doable with the MAX 7, but you'd be pushing the extreme edge of the range of the aircraft.

The problem with these kinds of flights is the return trip; you're fighting the jet stream the whole way, which uses more fuel, especially in the winter. A number of US airlines use Boeing 757s from their US east coast hubs to smaller European destinations. In winter, they'd have to divert to places like Gander or Maine to make an additional fuel stop on the return trip.

Unfortunately, Winnipeg's just too far for what most airlines would consider a safe travel distance for that plane. Maybe if either Air Canada or Westjet was buying a A321neoLR it could work, but I don't think that's in the cards.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 4:04 PM

Sucks to hear that New Leaf is leaving Winnipeg, but Flair buying them out is a good thing for air travellers everywhere and only makes them a more legitimate contender in the market... I enjoyed new leaf, really can't beat those ticket prices hopefully they continue to see success and expand in whatever iteration they choose to brand (be it Flair or New leaf)

Winnipeg will still be one of their hub airports Im sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If you have the planes to spare an approximately once weekly flight from YWG to EU makes sense, especially if you can make the economics work for leisure travellers, even more so if you can land it in one of the major EU hub airports.
Hopefully! Fingers crossed that YWG gets a legitimate trans atlantic flight, year round

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 12:10 AM

I wonder If one day YWG will see United mainline agian. The Chicago route seems to be doing pretty well this summer on the 3x daily E145 plus before they had the E145 they had a CR7 with business seats. If a city like MSP can support a 319 plus 3 other regional on a daily basis surely ORD could support around the same.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 12:16 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie00 View Post
I wonder If one day YWG will see United mainline agian. The Chicago route seems to be doing pretty well this summer on the 3x daily E145 plus before they had the E145 they had a CR7 with business seats. If a city like MSP can support a 319 plus 3 other regional on a daily basis surely ORD could support around the same.
I don't expect to see it any time soon. 2017 had the smallest number of transborder passengers since 2005. Keep in mind that a few years ago, there were 5 E145s a day to ORD, 6 CRJs to MSP, and 2 CR7s to DEN. Now there are 2 - 3 E145s/CRJ/CR7 to ORD, a 319 and a mix of 2 - 3 CRJ/9/E170 to MSP, and 1 - 2 CRJ/7 to DEN.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 12:23 AM

^ I wonder why transborder dropped off so much? United and Delta often have great deals that involve connecting at their hubs accessible from Winnipeg. You'd think people would be lapping it up. There are almost always return flights available to places like Boston, Phoenix, Miami, Palm Springs, etc. for not much more than $350 return.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 12:28 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I wonder why transborder dropped off so much? United and Delta often have great deals that involve connecting at their hubs accessible from Winnipeg. You'd think people would be lapping it up. There are almost always return flights available to places like Boston, Phoenix, Miami, Palm Springs, etc. for not much more than $350 return.
The same thing is happening in YOW, YHZ, and YEG. I think it has a lot to do with airlines focusing on Canada's 4 largest airports for efficiency. I don't think we'll ever lose service (United and Delta will continue to serve us in some capacity), but the general trend it to ignore Canadian secondary cities.

Secondly, the dollar. Canadians just aren't going south as much in general.

Thirdly, Allegiant and people driving to GFK in general (though that has also dropped off).

For United specifically - I'd say WJ having direct flights to LAS and PHX (among others) has hurt them.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 12:31 AM

^ I figured the dollar had something to do with it, but the impact is apparently harder than I would have guessed. I figured that demand would not be totally elastic, that there would be enough business travel, vacationing, etc. to keep the numbers up.

I can't imagine that anyone would come out ahead driving to GFK for Allegiant unless they're a family of eight or they travel with absolutely nothing beyond their personal items.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 12:33 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I can't imagine that anyone would come out ahead driving to GFK for Allegiant unless they're a family of eight or they travel with absolutely nothing beyond their personal items.
Especially since most of them are going to LAS for a few days. If you're somewhat flexible for datess, Westjet has sub $400 flight/hotel packages for LAS out of YWG.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 12:35 AM
Heart of the Continent

Also - you're right about prices connecting through the US - especially on United. If I had the money right now, I'd be booking a trip to Singapore (my flight with United to Hong Kong was just fine) right now as it's sub $1000 for a week long trip including flight and hotel. That's the first time I've ever seen it like that.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 5:01 PM

Another factor currently at play with US bound flights is the political climate. People with certain backgrounds are being told they simply aren't welcome and others would rather not support the US with their current government.

The poor exchange rate is likely more a factor but you can't ignore the political climate as being an influence as well.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 9:37 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Another factor currently at play with US bound flights is the political climate. People with certain backgrounds are being told they simply aren't welcome and others would rather not support the US with their current government.

The poor exchange rate is likely more a factor but you can't ignore the political climate as being an influence as well.
Yup. As long as that orange guy is in the White House, I'm staying the hell away from America until they fix their mess.

The dollar is definitely playing into the factor as well. Hell, lately I've seen a bit more Minnesota and North Dakota plates up here more often than before. I've even spotted a couple Florida and Tennessee plates recently as well.

Although I won't forget the time a couple years ago when we had about 60,000 Americans who travelled up here for the Women's World Cup, and had a variety of plates from America.

As for New Leaf and Flair Air, I'm pretty sure Flair Air will make Winnipeg as their hub, since it is a strategic location anyway. Hopefully we see more success from them as time goes on.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 7:46 PM

I noticed that there is some work happening on the skywalk from the Four Points to the old terminal site. I can't tell if they're renovating or disassembling or what, but work is definitely under way. I always thought it looked kind of odd there given that it doesn't connect to anything anymore.

I also see hoarding up for a Flight Club restaurant on the arrivals level, where the LC used to be.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 8:04 PM
Heart of the Continent

They're doing a lot of work on the arrivals level. I'm not sure what it all entails. It looks like they may be adding another escalator.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan