HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
I'd rather have a short ugly road than a long drive. The airport in Halifax seems like it is located in an eastern suburb of Montreal, the drive is so long. The Victoria airport is practically in Nainaimo.
Exactly, and I don't think Ellice or Sargent are particularly ugly, except for the far western sections and the downtown section of Ellice, which is depressing. Of all the major Canadian cities, Winnipeg's airport is closest to the downtown core and has reasonably good (ie. frequent, even during the evening and on weekends) and cheap transit options.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:40 AM
ILYR

Just was checking the waa.ca site and they have updated some of the passenger stats.

http://http://www.waa.ca/uploads/ck/...StatsAug17.pdf

As of the end of August the total is already 2,926,944, an increase from the same time last year of 2,794,265 or 4.7%. August this year was 447,382. The largest month ever! In fact July and August both exceeded 400,000 for the first time in history.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:45 AM
ILYR

Not sure anyone posted about the increase in DHL service, so here it is.

http://http://www.waa.ca/media/news/...ed-dhl-service

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Not sure anyone posted about the increase in DHL service, so here it is.
DHL has a contract to fly cargo routes for Amazon and they are in the process of hiring local drivers. It looks like Winnipeg is sadly going to become a "delivery by Amazon" community soon. Considering its all out sourced it isn't even a win jobwise.

Also it sounds like Swoop won't be coming to YWG instead focusing on really large markets (YVR, YYZ) to start but out of secondary airports in the regions. It also would be shocking if YYC isn't a launch market. We will know more come February when their destinations are announced. Not exactly a big loss when its going to be the same 737 planes we already get but with something approaching a 28 seat pitch.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
DHL has a contract to fly cargo routes for Amazon and they are in the process of hiring local drivers. It looks like Winnipeg is sadly going to become a "delivery by Amazon" community soon. Considering its all out sourced it isn't even a win jobwise.
Delivered by Amazon exists in Vancouver. Customer service is great. This kind of think, it is always a zero sum gain, even if Amazon was doing it with internal resources, it would be work that FedEX and UPS are not getting.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 4:49 AM

FedEx and UPS are American, DHL is German. If Amazon wants to swoop in and take business away from them and lower rates, go for it. It's not like they'd be taking away from Canadian shipping company.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 8:16 PM

Actually a lot of Amazon orders shipped Canada Post or Purolator so the end buck in shipping was within Canada. The new model patterning with DHL is actually spending shipping profits overseas.

Lots of people though have issues with delivered by Amazon. For example if you miss a delivery for some reason with Canada Post it is left close to your house, under the new system you will have to go to a depot near the airport, during business hours, and pick it up. The tracking on delivered by Amazon v the alternatives is also reported to be a noticeable step down.

That said, this is getting off topic, I only brought it up to explain why YWG is seeing increased flights from DHL.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:22 AM
G'day

Canadian Airport Cargo Stats for 2016

YWG was the star performer in 2016 with the highest tonnage and % growth of all Canadian Airports. YWG leapt from 7th to 5th spot overtaking YYC and YMX. YWG became the second largest cargo hub in Western Canada.

Top 10 Airports

In thousands of tonnes total cargo tonnage.

Airport. 2016. 2015. Change. % change

YYZ 381.7 368.0 13.7 3.7%
YVR 246.8 238.4 8.4 3.5%
YHM 109.9 110.8 (0.9) (0.8%)
YUL 89.9 79.8 10.1 12.7%
YWG 84.2 65.9 18.3 27.8%
YYC 74.5 82.5 (8.0) (9.7%)
YMX 72.2 70.2 2.0 2.8%
YQM 28.8 29.0 (0.2) (0.7%)
YHZ 26.5 26.7 (0.2) (0.7%)
YEG 24.8 28.3 (3.5) (12.4%)

Source: http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a26...eng&id=4010045

Just have to manipulate the tables using the "Add/Remove data" function.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 10:06 PM

Anyone know anything about what happened here? This was passed without any discussion at the Parks ctte.
Item No. 7 Community Incentive Grant – University of Manitoba
(South Winnipeg - St. Norbert Ward)
COMMUNITY COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATION:
On November 6, 2017, the Riel Community Committee recommended to the Standing Policy Committee on Protection, Community Services and Parks:
1. That the Council decision of January 25, 2012, approving a Community Incentive Grant in the amount of $10,000.00 to the University of Manitoba for the Winnipeg Airport Authority Art Piece Relocation Project, be rescinded.
2. That the Proper Officers of the City be authorized to do all things necessary to implement the intent of the foregoing.

On November 6, 2017, the Riel Community Committee passed the following motion:
WHEREAS the University of Manitoba - Winnipeg Airport Authority Art Piece Relocation Project is not being proceeded with.
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Council decision of January 25, 2012, approving a Community Incentive Grant funding in the amount of $10,000.00 to the University of Manitoba for the Winnipeg Airport Authority Art Piece Relocation Project, be rescinded, and forwarded to the Standing Policy Committee on Protection, Community Services and Parks.
I thought the old airport art did get taken by the University? Does anyone know what's happening to it if the university isn't taking it?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Anyone know anything about what happened here? This was passed without any discussion at the Parks ctte.
Item No. 7 Community Incentive Grant – University of Manitoba
(South Winnipeg - St. Norbert Ward)
COMMUNITY COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATION:
On November 6, 2017, the Riel Community Committee recommended to the Standing Policy Committee on Protection, Community Services and Parks:
1. That the Council decision of January 25, 2012, approving a Community Incentive Grant in the amount of $10,000.00 to the University of Manitoba for the Winnipeg Airport Authority Art Piece Relocation Project, be rescinded.
2. That the Proper Officers of the City be authorized to do all things necessary to implement the intent of the foregoing.

On November 6, 2017, the Riel Community Committee passed the following motion:
WHEREAS the University of Manitoba - Winnipeg Airport Authority Art Piece Relocation Project is not being proceeded with.
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Council decision of January 25, 2012, approving a Community Incentive Grant funding in the amount of $10,000.00 to the University of Manitoba for the Winnipeg Airport Authority Art Piece Relocation Project, be rescinded, and forwarded to the Standing Policy Committee on Protection, Community Services and Parks.
I thought the old airport art did get taken by the University? Does anyone know what's happening to it if the university isn't taking it?
The Eli Bornstein piece has been mounted to the wall of the Max Bell Centre for a few years now. I'm not knowledgeable as to how it was made, but I do wonder whether something that was indoors for so long is really meant to endure the elements:

In some ways it's a little sad that it came to that.

I don't know what happened to the John Graham piece... I wonder if that's what the agenda item you posted is referring to? I'm not aware of any other pieces of art.... I guess there were the original sculptures from when the old terminal first opened in 1964, but they are long gone from public display there and I have no idea where they ended up.

Man... so beautiful. I miss the old terminal

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 10:52 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Eli Bornstein piece has been mounted to the wall of the Max Bell Centre for a few years now. I'm not knowledgeable as to how it was made, but I do wonder whether something that was indoors for so long is really meant to endure the elements:

In some ways it's a little sad that it came to that.

I don't know what happened to the John Graham piece... I wonder if that's what the agenda item you posted is referring to? I'm not aware of any other pieces of art.... I guess there were the original sculptures from when the old terminal first opened in 1964, but they are long gone from public display there and I have no idea where they ended up.

Man... so beautiful. I miss the old terminal

The artwork is the only thing I miss about the old terminal. Especially that little cubby hole they used for transborder flights. LOL. It was awful.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 1:54 AM

^ As opposed to the new transborder cubby hole?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:57 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
YWG was the star performer in 2016 with the highest tonnage and % growth of all Canadian Airports. YWG leapt from 7th to 5th spot overtaking YYC and YMX. YWG became the second largest cargo hub in Western Canada.

Top 10 Airports

In thousands of tonnes total cargo tonnage.

Airport. 2016. 2015. Change. % change

YYZ 381.7 368.0 13.7 3.7%
YVR 246.8 238.4 8.4 3.5%
YHM 109.9 110.8 (0.9) (0.8%)
YUL 89.9 79.8 10.1 12.7%
YWG 84.2 65.9 18.3 27.8%
YYC 74.5 82.5 (8.0) (9.7%)
YMX 72.2 70.2 2.0 2.8%
YQM 28.8 29.0 (0.2) (0.7%)
YHZ 26.5 26.7 (0.2) (0.7%)
YEG 24.8 28.3 (3.5) (12.4%)

Source: http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a26...eng&id=4010045

Just have to manipulate the tables using the "Add/Remove data" function.
Fixed the line-spacing of the table. Its easier to read if you were to use a fonts like Courier or Monospace.

The board software assumes we're all using Microsoft Windows. I'm on Linux, so I don't have those fonts.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I'm on Linux.
Definitely. The only way.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Eli Bornstein piece has been mounted to the wall of the Max Bell Centre for a few years now. I'm not knowledgeable as to how it was made, but I do wonder whether something that was indoors for so long is really meant to endure the elements
I was there in October to watch a hockey game and I was in uni when it was put up. There was nothing obviously different about the artwork since I had last seen it (no faded colours or wear and tear).

I don't know how they were mounted but there was scaffolding up for like a month to set it up

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:32 AM
Heart of the Continent

I don't know if anyone had noticed, but Air Canada will be resuming mainline service to YUL on a seasonal basis starting May 1.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I don't know if anyone had noticed, but Air Canada will be resuming mainline service to YUL on a seasonal basis starting May 1.
Are you referring to the larger planes? I'm guessing so as there is currently direct service to Montreal from Winnipeg on AC several times a day.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:09 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Are you referring to the larger planes? I'm guessing so as there is currently direct service to Montreal from Winnipeg on AC several times a day.
Right now, Air Canada only serves Montreal with Air Canada Express, the same as they do for Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, etc. Starting in May, there will be a mixed service of mainline jets (in this case, the A320) and the current Express jets (in this case, as in the current case) the CR705/9.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Right now, Air Canada only serves Montreal with Air Canada Express, the same as they do for Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, etc. Starting in May, there will be a mixed service of mainline jets (in this case, the A320) and the current Express jets (in this case, as in the current case) the CR705/9.
I hate how westjet can't fly year round direct to montreal. I am a slave to my points card.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 3:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I hate how westjet can't fly year round direct to montreal. I am a slave to my points card.
Huh, I did not realise this service was seasonal, just assumed it was year round. Don't see why it couldn't be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan