HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
But what if my kid is sick that day? that just won't do!
I know you're joking, but they still have the list in the system.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 2:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to for the number of potential slip-throughs and the potential revenue loss.

I mean, most kids are obviously kids because they look like kids. How many 13-year-olds look like pseudo-adults anyway? And how big a potential problem is all of this anyway and what is the potential revenue loss as opposed to the cost of a foolproof system that no one will be able to slip through?

I seriously doubt that there are that many 19-year-olds who are not students who will try to slip through on the student fare by paying X% less the full fare, and that even if there were some that this would seriously impact OC Transpo's bottom line.

I suspect that users of all categories who escape payment by entering through the back doors of buses is probably a far bigger problem. That is probably where enforcement efforts should be concentrated.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I think, instead of going by age, they should be set according to the grade of the student in school. That would make the age easier to monitor.

Elementary school students (up to Grade 8) should be eligible for the reduced fare. However, they must show proof of such or identification from OC Transpo or another transit authority (otherwise any children older than 5 should have to pay a full fare). In addition, a reduced-fare monthly pass for children, at a price half that of the Adult Pass, should be introduced.
Why not just require proof of id when you get a discount card (senior's, students, kids)?

Have the card switch to a general card when that proof expires.

University/college student cards would revert to normal cards at the start of the next year (unless you reactivate it by proving student status - preferably online). High school students would revert to normal cards the September after they're scheduled to graduate.

Kids cards would stay in the appropriate fare category until the appropriate birthday and then automatically switch.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 12:33 AM
National Capital Region

presto update
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf...te20110915.pdf

OC Transpo View
• Funding agreements completed June 2007
• System design for OC Transpo requirements complete
• Testing to start in fall 2011
• OC Transpo to be in production starting spring 2012
• Delivery in Ottawa encompasses 1100 buses,13 O-Train stations and
new LRT (upon completion)
􀂾 OC Transpo requirements offer increased customer
functionality, i.e. multiple period pass options
􀂾 Next generation PRESTO devices to be used

presto will mean no more photo ID and passes will be transferrable
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...s%20Passes.htm

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
presto update
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf...te20110915.pdf

OC Transpo View
• Funding agreements completed June 2007
• System design for OC Transpo requirements complete
• Testing to start in fall 2011
• OC Transpo to be in production starting spring 2012
• Delivery in Ottawa encompasses 1100 buses,13 O-Train stations and
new LRT (upon completion)
􀂾 OC Transpo requirements offer increased customer
functionality, i.e. multiple period pass options
􀂾 Next generation PRESTO devices to be used

presto will mean no more photo ID and passes will be transferrable
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...s%20Passes.htm
I wonder if the same cards could be used in Ottawa as in the GTA?

Sounds like it will be great! I do like the transferable passes, although the student passes would need to be accompanied by student cards and senior passes by proof of age when requested. Also the child fare would be also expanded to 12 year olds.

Eventually they should replace tickets as well if they have a set-amount PRESTO card, like putting $10 at a time to get the ticket fare per ride.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 12:48 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I wonder if the same cards could be used in Ottawa as in the GTA?
According to Presto's website, yes.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 7:17 PM

What confuses/concerns me about Presto is that getting the card itself seems to be a bit cumbersome: you either have to order one online and have it mailed to you, or get it from a customer service desk.

For regular transit riders, this isn't a big deal, but what about visitors?

When I was in Amsterdam this summer (where the transit system does have a contact-less fare system like Presto), there were self-serve kiosks that you could use to purchase a fare; it spat out a "temporary" card (a bendable plastic) that was free and included in the fare price- there was no $6 charge just to get a card.

From what I see in the above presentation, it looks like they are working on self serve kiosks, but I don't see anything about cheaper, temporary versions of the cards.

I think this (making it easier to pay) is critical to get more visitors and non-regular riders onto transit.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
What confuses/concerns me about Presto is that getting the card itself seems to be a bit cumbersome: you either have to order one online and have it mailed to you, or get it from a customer service desk.

For regular transit riders, this isn't a big deal, but what about visitors?

When I was in Amsterdam this summer (where the transit system does have a contact-less fare system like Presto), there were self-serve kiosks that you could use to purchase a fare; it spat out a "temporary" card (a bendable plastic) that was free and included in the fare price- there was no $6 charge just to get a card.

From what I see in the above presentation, it looks like they are working on self serve kiosks, but I don't see anything about cheaper, temporary versions of the cards.

I think this (making it easier to pay) is critical to get more visitors and non-regular riders onto transit.
I don't think ordering it online is a big deal as for going to a customer service desk i don't see that has much fo a issue for most people.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I don't think ordering it online is a big deal as for going to a customer service desk i don't see that has much fo a issue for most people.
I don't think ordering it online is big deal either, but you've missed my point. Let's say I'm a tourist, it's 10PM and I've just arrived in Ottawa for the first time. How do I pay my fare?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 11:32 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by bra[LEFT
[/LEFT]dnixon;5414430]I don't think ordering it online is big deal either, but you've missed my point. Let's say I'm a tourist, it's 10PM and I've just arrived in Ottawa for the first time. How do I pay my fare?
While Presto will replace tickets and passes, I'm sure it will still be possible to pay a cash fare.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 4:26 PM
Busy Beaver

I think you'll be able to get one in person at service counters like the one at Rideau Centre. I'm hoping they'll be dispensed and reloadable at the future LRT stations where there are service personnel.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
While Presto will replace tickets and passes, I'm sure it will still be possible to pay a cash fare.
On buses, cash fares could certainly still be paid. On the LRT, I would guess there will be fare card machines.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
Remember, in my hypothetical situation, I've just arrived in Ottawa for the first time, maybe from a different country. What's the likelihood that I'll have exact change? Especially when my other choice of transportation is to take a taxi that likely accepts credit cards.

I think that we need to make it easier for non-regular riders to use transit, and I think a big part of that is making it easier to pay, and accepting more forms of payment.

For example, one thing that I think OC should be doing, today, is installing ticket vending machines like those at the O-Train stations at every Transitway station and major transit hub. Those machines accept credit cards, which makes it much easier to pay for transit if you don't have exact change.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Remember, in my hypothetical situation, I've just arrived in Ottawa for the first time, maybe from a different country. What's the likelihood that I'll have exact change? Especially when my other choice of transportation is to take a taxi that likely accepts credit cards.

I think that we need to make it easier for non-regular riders to use transit, and I think a big part of that is making it easier to pay, and accepting more forms of payment.

For example, one thing that I think OC should be doing, today, is installing ticket vending machines like those at the O-Train stations at every Transitway station and major transit hub. Those machines accept credit cards, which makes it much easier to pay for transit if you don't have exact change.
I'd imagine they would have self service kiosks to get the presto card at the airport, train station and bus station. I lived in London and every tube station had a self service machine to buy the oyster card, which you could sell back to Transport for London at the end of your trip. I can't imagine this being difficult to do, and as eternallyme said, I'm sure cash fares will still be possible in some form or another.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 12:54 AM
Busy Beaver

Can you even buy bus tickets at the airport now?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Can you even buy bus tickets at the airport now?
Apparently you can!

"Bus tickets are available at the Ground Transportation Desk located on level 1 at the centre door of the Arrivals area."

http://www.ottawa-airport.ca/Airport...ortation-e.php

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
I'd imagine they would have self service kiosks to get the presto card at the airport, train station and bus station. I lived in London and every tube station had a self service machine to buy the oyster card, which you could sell back to Transport for London at the end of your trip. I can't imagine this being difficult to do, and as eternallyme said, I'm sure cash fares will still be possible in some form or another.
There are over 1000 point of sales kiosks in Montréal alone for the Opus card. Plus you can now recharge your card online (on-going experimentation).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
in Paris they still have paper tickets with magnetic strips (similar to MTL's) for occasional riders and the new style touchless card for regular users. All are available from automated kiosks at every Metro Station there as well... and like every real transit system.

I don't have a clue why OC Transpo doesn't have the "Parking Meter" fare payment like on the O Train at every Transitway Station, what could it cost?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
in Paris they still have paper tickets with magnetic strips (similar to MTL's) for occasional riders and the new style touchless card for regular users. All are available from automated kiosks at every Metro Station there as well... and like every real transit system.

I don't have a clue why OC Transpo doesn't have the "Parking Meter" fare payment like on the O Train at every Transitway Station, what could it cost?
Agreed it would be excellent, but I think we should all resign ourselves to the fact that there will be a real lack of investment in Transitway improvements in the next few years, as anything will be seen as temporary and wasteful in the lead up to LRT conversion, at least in the areas due for conversion.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 12:07 PM

they did just finish rebuilding all 8 stations in the CBD...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation