HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 2:39 PM
Citizen-at-large

This is the first line from the 'community' page of the website. I have not yet read further, but already my reaction can be summed up in one word: REALLY????

Quote:
While your lifestyle is pure country, you are only 15 minutes from the downtown core of South Keys.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHeadroom View Post
Umm, perhaps I happened to be driving by, and saw the signs and heavy equipment moving around on site?

I don't have any more details, but if I go by there again I'll at least get the developer's name.
Ah yes, I can see why you might have thought that. I did too until I found out otherwise when my wife & I spoke to the Anderson Links golf course owner after a tasty brunch one Sunday morning; there is a rather large club house on site with a restaurant. He explained what was happening. The heavy equipment you're referring to is for the Anderson Links golf course expansion from 18 to 36 holes. I also asked him if he knows of any housing development plans that he might know of in the area, apart from Findley Creek. He patted me on the shoulders and said, "No, not for a while at least". The land on Anderson Rd, opposite the golf course is owned by the Province & (if I can remember, correct me if I'm wrong) leased to the Feds...some type of tree growing thing.

Last edited by migo; Aug 4, 2010 at 11:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 12:32 AM

I drove by the site via Russell Road yesterday. There is only preliminary grading for the Russell Road overpass completed; no forms or concrete even staked out yet. However, over the top of the hill, I could see that street lights have been installed.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 2:25 AM

I drove by the Hawthorne Road end the other day and wondered if it was going to open soon. Paving had been completed as far as I could see.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 2:03 AM

It's most likely going to be 2013 before this road sees any traffic since the entire thing has to be completed. AFAIK MTO hasn't even started design of the 417 interchange yet!

EDIT: at the very best, MTO could construct RIRO ramps to the eastbound lanes of the 417 right away.

It might see a bit of traffic if this development goes anywhere before the interchange is done: http://www.clvgroup.com/downloads/Hu...030-Jun-10.pdf

Last edited by MaxHeadroom; Dec 12, 2010 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 9:43 PM

Hunt Club Road extension and new Hwy 417 interchange | Completed

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/extensi...643/story.html

By Joanne Chianello May 27, 2011 5:31 PM Comments (2)

OTTAWA — The provincial Liberal government found $22 million in its budget this year to connect Hunt Club Road to Highway 417 in the southeast section of the city, in addition to a previously released plan to widen the highway from Nicholas Street to the eastern split.

The city will be footing the other half of the bill, money that Mayor Jim Watson said was already in the 2011 capital budget.

The announcement was made Friday by Infrastructure Minister and Ottawa West-Nepean MPP Bob Chiarelli and Ottawa-Orléans MPP Phil McNeely, who said he’s been working on connecting Hunt Club to the highway for more than five years.

Among other things, said McNeely, the new interchange will provide a more direct route to the airport for those living in the southeast quadrant of the city.

Watson and several city councillors also attended the press conference that was held on a dead-end strip of Hunt Club just east of Hawthorne Road, or as Gloucester-Southgate Councillor Diane Deans referred to it, “a road to nowhere.”

Under the infrastructure stimulus fund, which expires in October, Hunt Club Road was extended in a project costing about $20 million, shared equally by the federal, provincial and municipal governments. But the highway interchange was not eligible under the federal part of the program, and so Hunt Club literally goes nowhere east of Hawthorne.

But Friday’s announcement means that work on the interchange will begin as soon as August and is expected to be completed by 2014.

Watson said that the city had put in a request for funding for this project, “and we were hoping that we’d get some funding, and I have to tell you that we are very pleased that we are getting much more than we thought we would get.”

Lisa MacLeod, the Progressive Conservative MPP for Nepean-Carleton called Friday’s announcement “purely political, plain and simple.

“The Liberals have been engaged in a seat-saver program, announcing multi-million-dollar projects in the hope of hanging onto a few seats,” she said.

She charged that Liberals are “having trouble finding candidates,” pointing to another announcement Friday, this one by West Carleton-March Councillor Eli El-Chantiry confirming that he would not seek the Liberal nomination in the Carleton-Mississippi Mills riding.

The provincial Tories are holding their convention in Toronto this weekend. Candidates will receive training for the upcoming election campaign and the party will release its platform on Sunday. MacLeod said the Liberal announcement was “a desperate attempt to try to change the channel” from the attention being given the PC convention.

But Chiarelli deflected any criticism that announcing new money for a new road was a ploy to buy votes.

“We make major announcements throughout the year, every year, and we’re not going to stop because it’s an election year,” Chiarelli told reporters. “This has been in the cards for a long time and it’s coming to fruition now.”

The 2011-12 provincial budget earmarked $12.8 billion for infrastructure over the 12 months. Chiarelli said that “much of that is already allocated to existing projects, but there’s significant room there to announce new projects.”

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/extensi...#ixzz1LtUdR5kX

P.S. admin please fix title spelling of 'announced'

Last edited by Luker; May 27, 2011 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 9:54 PM

So, big deal? This effectively complete our Ottawa 'ring road'. Also, it does have the right of way medians to be expanded to a six lane parkway in the future.. (I give it 15yrs tops even with the lightrail going in... aka the first thign to do after it...?) Ohh, other than expand the LRT up bronson, to the airport, college, farhaven, kanata, orleans, maybe throw rideau rideau, vanier, and gatineau too?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 1:29 AM

The completion of this roadway is desperately needed. At peak periods, there is often a long line of vehicles queued onto 417 East waiting to exit to Walkley. Walkley is an absolute mess and completely over capacity. The only option south is to take indirect backroads to Anderson Road (which is also under construction.)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 9:20 PM

I saw last weekend that Huntclub is built up now to within eyesight of the 417...they have regraded the land so that it can approach an overpass when they build one...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 2:05 PM

I'm not very keen on extending Hunt Club to the 417; Traffic along that beginning stretch of it is congested as hell as it is, and having people take it coming right off the 417 will only make it worse. Without the widening of the road first, it will end up funnelling a ton of new traffic into the area.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 3:58 PM

i don't find hunt club very busy between hawthorne and bank at all, and i take it every day. the east end of the road is underutilized if anything. if they get cracking and build the alta vista transit corridor from conroy to nicholas this will really expedite traffic flow and relieve the queensway at the split in a huge way. this is so overdue!!!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
i don't find hunt club very busy between hawthorne and bank at all, and i take it every day. the east end of the road is underutilized if anything. if they get cracking and build the alta vista transit corridor from conroy to nicholas this will really expedite traffic flow and relieve the queensway at the split in a huge way. this is so overdue!!!
I agree, but wonder if there's really capacity for cars going onto the Queensway here to go downtown...it's usually blocked up at Walkley Road every day already...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 5:44 PM

Quote:
I for one really do not want the Alta Vista Corridor built, especially the section between Nicholas and Riverside, as that will mean sticking a hugely busy road right on the closest open space for about 4000 people. Not only that, it'll be a huge barrier to get to the next nearest open space on the Oblates land, which is due to be developed shortly (I believe that the plan is for the waterside area to remain as greenfield).

Also, the 417 is going to be widened in this area, although it will not be opening until after the LRT is built. That section will, apparently, be bus only until the LRT opens, then reverting to general traffic.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 5:48 PM

it's nice open space for the residents of the area, sure, but it has been put aside for a future road that is desperately needed by most of the city...sorry but i can't wait until they build this...as i'm sure they will eventually! why else would they have left it undeveloped for all these years?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 8:50 PM

Quote:
it's nice open space for the residents of the area, sure, but it has been put aside for a future road that is desperately needed by most of the city...sorry but i can't wait until they build this...as i'm sure they will eventually! why else would they have left it undeveloped for all these years?
I'm certainly not keen on another highway heading downtown, slicing up neighbourhoods on the way. That type of city planning has pretty much been discredited at this stage. There may be an argument for using the right-of way for transit though.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 9:10 PM

I agree the Alta Vista corridor is unnecessary, certainly as no more than a collector road in the area for local traffic with no access controls.

As for Hunt Club, that would complete an "inner bypass" which could draw some traffic off of Highway 417. Agreed that Bank eastward operates quite well and can sustain additional traffic, but the central part of Hunt Club is a major bottleneck.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 1:32 PM
National Capital Region

bidding for construction of phase 1B (Russell to 417 interchange) closes aug 18th.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 3:23 AM

They didn't waste any time getting started on phase 2. Trucks and heavy equipment have been busy grading the roadbed between 417 and Russell for the last two weeks or so. No sign of any work on the new overpass over Russell yet, though.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 1:42 AM

OK, the site is starting to take shape. There is now a substantial road embankment built up between the existing hydro lines and Russell Rd. Given the height of the roadway, it's obvious the power lines will have to be moved. Still no formwork or anything for the overpass yet.

Orange construction signs have gone up on the 417 in both directions establishing a construction zone around the future site of the interchange. These signs are going to be around for a while, given they have been set into the ground!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 4:35 PM
Awesome!

Probably one of the rare necessary road expansions as long as it doesn't go past/east of the 417. Walkley Road is a mess and getting most of the trucks (well those coming from Montreal at least and heading in the Hawthorne area though not the Sheffield area) out of there would help.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation