HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 6:23 PM

One of the reasons the Kanata widening project is taking so long is that part of the median had to be blasted because of the bedrock that's so close to the surface in that part of the city.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 6:49 PM

When is this project supposed to be done? Will the new lanes be ready and open by end of Sept? Oct? Snowfall?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
When is this project supposed to be done? Will the new lanes be ready and open by end of Sept? Oct? Snowfall?
Fall 2014 I believe.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen j View Post
One of the reasons the Kanata widening project is taking so long is that part of the median had to be blasted because of the bedrock that's so close to the surface in that part of the city.
Not to mention preloading for the Carp River bridges (about 1 year), massive deep culverts crossing the highway in several spots, a significant number of caissons for new hightmast lighting, many new overhead signs, and brand new freeway traffic management system plant (CCTV, loops, VMS, etc). Also major rehab of Eagleson, Huntmar and Carp Rd bridges.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Fall 2014 I believe.
174 WB to St. Laurent off-ramp opens tomorrow!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 8:17 PM

The paint is on the newly paved portion between Eagleson and Terry Fox, so once they pave over the Carp River Bridges (soon!) they could shift traffic over to the new lanes to repave/realign the current lanes. Although it seems to be taking forever to do the section from Carp River to Hwy 7.

The talk about a traffic management system is news to me, I hope they put up some electronic sign boards like on the 401

Eagleson bridge rehab is taking forever, and Huntmar bridge is done; I saw cars going over it a few days ago.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTheGreat97 View Post
The paint is on the newly paved portion between Eagleson and Terry Fox, so once they pave over the Carp River Bridges (soon!) they could shift traffic over to the new lanes to repave/realign the current lanes. Although it seems to be taking forever to do the section from Carp River to Hwy 7.

The talk about a traffic management system is news to me, I hope they put up some electronic sign boards like on the 401

Eagleson bridge rehab is taking forever, and Huntmar bridge is done; I saw cars going over it a few days ago.
I am aware of one overhead changeable message sign to be installed on 417 EB just west of Moodie Drive. Five more signs will be installed as part of the 417 expansion from Nicholas to the split.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:34 PM
National Capital Region

PSA: Upcoming lane closures on Highway 417 near Bayswater
Ottawa – Starting Monday, October 7, Highway 417 will be reduced by one lane in each direction between Parkdale Avenue and Rochester Street. This lane reduction is expected to last three weeks.

These lane reductions are required to complete the construction and installation of a new permanent overhead digital sign near Bayswater Avenue. This sign, which will span the westbound lanes, is similar to the ones on Hwy 401 in Toronto. Once in place, it will provide real time traffic and safety information to motorists.

Motorists are reminded to respect the reduced speed limits and use caution when travelling through the construction zone.

This work is being done as part of the Highway 417 expansion project, which began in May, and will add an additional lane in each direction, between Nicholas Street and the Split. The additional lane will be used for bus rapid transit during the 2015 to 2018 phase of the Confederation Line construction.

With all of the construction-related activities underway, residents are encouraged to be flexible with commuting times, stagger work hours or use other alternative means for travel. The public is asked to consider options such as transit, walking, cycling or carpooling.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
These lane reductions are required to complete the construction and installation of a new permanent overhead digital sign near Bayswater Avenue. This sign, which will span the westbound lanes, is similar to the ones on Hwy 401 in Toronto. Once in place, it will provide real time traffic and safety information to motorists.
Any news on when the other signs will be going up?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 2:33 AM

Eastbound Carp River bridge in paved, and that makes from Eagleson to Huntmar Eastbound that's now paved.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTheGreat97 View Post
Eastbound Carp River bridge in paved, and that makes from Eagleson to Huntmar Eastbound that's now paved.
Construction for the sign 417 WB between Walkley and Innes is about to start (site prep started there). Other sign on OR174 WB just east of the Transitway exit (east of Blair) is underway as well (underground plant being installed).

The other signs: 417 EB at Vanier Parkway, 417 WB between St. Laurent and Belfast will take some time for the widening to be completed.

The 417 EB sign near Moodie should be installed any time since the underground plant is already built.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 9:58 PM

417 Eastbound traffic has shifted to the new lanes from just before the Carp River bridge all the way to Eagleson.

I don't get why they have those steel post guardrails along some parts of the median, but not all. Permanent Jersey Barriers maybe?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 3:57 PM

Lots of paving has been going on from Eagleson-Huntmar Westbound, and looks almost ready to paint the lines and get traffic shifted over.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 3:09 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photosb...r/10637748176/

I took this image last night off the Terry Fox bridge looking east and it shows how the construction looks now.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 5:48 AM
Mooderator

The overhead signs have been replaced on 417 wb between Walkley and Innes. They now read "Innes Rd/St.Laurent" (since access to the old St. Laurent exit has been removed coming into town from the east on the 417).

Just noticed this last weekend, but they may have been up longer than that.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
The overhead signs have been replaced on 417 wb between Walkley and Innes. They now read "Innes Rd/St.Laurent" (since access to the old St. Laurent exit has been removed coming into town from the east on the 417).

They've been up for a while. I saw them on Thanksgiving weekend.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post

Has the St. Laurent exit been removed permanently? Sounds like it if they're changing the sign.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 11:42 AM

Yes, only access from the 174 will be available to the st laurent exit. Too many lane crossings in too short a distance from the split otherwise.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArconio View Post
Yes, only access from the 174 will be available to the st laurent exit. Too many lane crossings in too short a distance from the split otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Has the St. Laurent exit been removed permanently? Sounds like it if they're changing the sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
They've been up for a while. I saw them on Thanksgiving weekend.
The better signed route would have been 417 WB exit to Aviation Parkway, then proceed west on Ogilvie to St. Laurent... but the NCC couldn't handle having trucks for 200 or so meters on the Aviation Parkway between Hwy 417 and Ogilvie.

Ironically, trucks would take this route should the new interprovincial crossing ever get built (not in my lifetime) at Kettle Island.

In any case anyone who knows this area will take that route anyway.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 1:39 AM
Mooderator

The distance isn't too much different if you use Innes to get to St. Laurent... but yeah I can totally see the NCC influencing that decision.

Maybe the mall had a say in it too.. who knows..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation