HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 2:29 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Wouldn't having parallel access roads just make MacLeod even more of an asphalt hellscape?

I think sprucing it up like 16th avenue and Memorial would go a long way to making it much nicer to start with, then proceed with some major improvements to make it much more transit friendly. I believe the last steps should involve potential improvements for cyclists and pedestrians. I just don't see the benefit to improving those two areas this early in the game on MacLeod.
Google Barcelona and find Avenida Diagonal or Passeig de Gracia and you will see what I mean. The medians separating the through streets from the access streets are planted with trees and the sidewalks are widened. You can actually improve mobility on Macleod a lot by actually making the amount of road space smaller, just reducing the number of intersections. What you do is essentially put 2 lanes of almost free-flow traffic in the centre, and then move all turns to the access road. So if you want to turn left off of Macleod, you exit right into an access road and then wait at the light for a flashing green turn. This way left turning cars don't queue into the lanes for through traffic and vehicles accessing businesses from Macleod don't interfere with through traffic either. Basically you consolidate all non-through traffic onto the curb lanes, and separate them with a planted median.

For example, the following streets between Glenmore and the Cemetary could be "closed" to Macleod completely (median across Macleod and right in right out only): 56th, 53rd, 45th, 43rd,
And the following streets will still go across Macleod, but left turns from Macleod itself will be restricted: 50th, 46th, 42nd, 39th

EDIT- Just look at all the driveway accesses on Macleod between Glenmore and Heritage. If you had an access road there, all the traffic going between buildings wouldn't have to interfere with through traffic on Macleod.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 2:36 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Ah I see, that actually sounds like a pretty good plan.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Regarding Lake Fraser Gate and Macleod lights. THe issue is that Lake Fraser Drive dead ends at the north end with no chance for alteration due to Honda dealership. There is no east bound connections to Bonaventure, leaving only one exit onto Canyon Meadows Drive. In order to remove the lights at Lake Fraser Gate the citry would have to build connections onto Lake Bonavista community at 129th Ave, Lake Willow Rd, Lake Aspen Rd. All the new connector roads have really poor road capacity as theyare residential side streets and inadequate capacity for the apartment condos at the North End of Lake Fraser Drive.
Oh I realize that the access is needed from SB Macleod. We used to go to the Mazda dealer there for servicing and that's basically the only quick way in (that I know of).

Just saying that there needs to be a bridge over (like the access to the Zoo from EB Memorial Dr) or an alternate access done. The light is really annoying for SB traffic. Plus the timing to allow NB traffic is such that you often don't get to turn left SB Macleod > Lake Fraser Dr on the first green.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Wouldn't having parallel access roads just make MacLeod even more of an asphalt hellscape?

I think sprucing it up like 16th avenue and Memorial would go a long way to making it much nicer to start with, then proceed with some major improvements to make it much more transit friendly. I believe the last steps should involve potential improvements for cyclists and pedestrians. I just don't see the benefit to improving those two areas this early in the game on MacLeod.
I feel pretty much the opposite, well except for cycling which would probably be better off directed to parallel routes like Elbow Drive or 11 St SE. I think the pedestrian realm is what really needs improvement. There is already fantastic transit following the route in the form of LRT. I just don't think Macleod needs transit improvements, at least not before development occurs that creates a demand for more local transit. As it currently stands, most of Macleod is a 10-15 minute walk from a C-Train station. The problem is, that walk sucks and not because of the distance (which improved transit on Macleod could fix) but because the pedestrian realm is non-existant (which transit improvements won't change at all).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 2:21 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Link doesn't work for me

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 3:42 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjr View Post
Link doesn't work for me
on mine, it starts the download, check your downloads folder.

It appears that the link doesn't allow direct viewing.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 5:53 PM
Realtor

Does anyone know when 52 St SE will continue south of 22X to Seton Blvd?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 7:09 PM

Quote:
on mine, it starts the download, check your downloads folder.

It appears that the link doesn't allow direct viewing.
Ah! Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 7:10 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Any idea how many street sweepers the city has in its fleet?

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Woah, those are some serious interchanges. There is some impressive investment going into the airport.

As always, it saddens me to see so much land used for interchanges and parking lots, but this looks like a much more efficient use than the current layout, and I'm glad to see there is a plan to integrate transit. I know it's a little late for this (and this comment is not constructive in the least), but had CIA built the entire terminal at McKnight instead of 96th, CIA users could have saved about 4 million driving hours in 2008 alone. Sorry, I know that's not helpful now.

I wonder, have they given any thought to running the NCLRT-connector-ROW further south, so that it would go directly from Deerfoot to the airport and then turn north towards the runway tunnel (rather than running a spur from 96th)? I think transit should be consulted before plans are drawn up, not only one month before it is presented to council.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 8:27 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Peigan Trail connector to Stoney Trail. Supposedly starting in June.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
Woah, those are some serious interchanges. There is some impressive investment going into the airport.
If they're trying to ape the rats nest at Pearson, it's a noble first attempt.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post

my pic

So in every other city I've been in where pedestrian walk buttons have lights as part of the button, once you press it the light stays on so you know if it's been pushed already. In Calgary it just flashes for a fraction of a second, so the fact it's been pushed is just a secret between you and it. Anyone know why they're configured that way?
An urban myth in New York City is that when they installed new computerized traffic management systems in the 1980s, they disconnected the cross-walk buttons.

Since the City had to install all new electronics for managing the the traffic lights at each intersection and the old WALK buttons were 'incompatible', they just snipped off the wires to the cross-walk buttons - but left the buttons attached to the light standards and poles. Ever since, pedestrians have been given the impression that they have been activating the WALK signals and altering the traffic signal patterns, even though the cross-walk buttons were just for show.

Some of the more recently-installed buttons may actually beep or blink to give the person feedback, but these WALK buttons are also for show - they are ignored because the priority is to keep traffic moving around the city, rather than let pedestrians interrupt traffic flows.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 5:39 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 2:52 PM

Question regarding construction vehicles (e.g. backhoe, front end loader, bulldozer) on highways and roadways, is it leagal for these types of vehicles to be on roads with 80kph or better speed limit?

I ask because I see bulldozer going down Crowchild (during rush hour) almost daily and each time it creates a huge jam up behind it, would be nice if AB had a law prohibiting these slowere vehicles from being on the road.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Question regarding construction vehicles (e.g. backhoe, front end loader, bulldozer) on highways and roadways, is it leagal for these types of vehicles to be on roads with 80kph or better speed limit?

I ask because I see bulldozer going down Crowchild (during rush hour) almost daily and each time it creates a huge jam up behind it, would be nice if AB had a law prohibiting these slowere vehicles from being on the road.
Construction and farm vehicles are allowed on high speed roadways unless specifically restricted (ie. Deerfoot Trail). It's not too often they have to drive themselves down these roads though (excepting farm vehicles in rural areas), as it's much more efficient time-wise to get a vehicles to carry them to their destination. I imagine the City could, if they wanted, prohibit construction vehicles from using expressways during rush hours though.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:19 PM

The city has issed a proposal for improving the gong show that is Hwy 8/Glenmore Trail SW west of Sarcee between Sarcee Tr SW and 69 St. SW.

http://www.calgary.ca/Aldermen/Docum...ents%20(3).pdf

A band-aid fix more than anything but any improvement is welcome. I drive through there regularly and that stretch at peak times in both directions slows to an absolute crawl. City is aniticipating mid- to late summer start once the project has been tendered.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:22 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBeer View Post
The city has issed a proposal for improving the gong show that is Hwy 8/Glenmore Trail SW west of Sarcee between Sarcee Tr SW and 69 St. SW.

http://www.calgary.ca/Aldermen/Docum...ents%20(3).pdf

A band-aid fix more than anything but any improvement is welcome. I drive through there regularly and that stretch at peak times in both directions slows to an absolute crawl. City is aniticipating mid- to late summer start once the project has been tendered.
60 km an hour "FOR SAFETY? Seems kind of slow. People go faster than that downtown!

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
60 km an hour "FOR SAFETY? Seems kind of slow. People go faster than that downtown!
And yet they shouldn't since the entire downtown core is 50km/h or lower to my knowledge.

60 I can see being done on that stretch as it looks like most of the work on Glenmore is just utilizing the existing roadway, meaning that after the additional lanes are added there will be less shoulder. Currently during rush hour you don't even get near that from when I've gone through there, and its currently signed at 80.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure