HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 5:18 PM

The busiest stations other than Union and Exhibition are Pickering and Oakville, which both serve around 10,000 people a day. Most stations off of the Lakeshore lines (with their all day service levels) are much lower, more in the 1,000-2,000 range.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 7:50 PM

150 seems low.

I know a lot of people in Stoney Creek inquiring as to when this Station will open because they are interested in using it as opposed to going to Burlington GO.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
150 seems low.

I know a lot of people in Stoney Creek inquiring as to when this Station will open because they are interested in using it as opposed to going to Burlington GO.
I wonder if it's only preferable for those who live relatively close to the upcoming station.

A friend who lives on Stoney Creek mountain (close-ish to Highland and Highway 20) thinks it's still better to drive to Burlington station.
His contention is that although it's quicker to drive to/from the Confederation station, (assuming rush hour service will be available) the fares will be more expensive and the overall commute would take longer because of the added time on the train (30 minutes?).

I can see his point, although a few assumptions were made.

Can anyone provide more details on fares/time/schedule?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
That's quite a bit of money just to service 150 commuters in 2031.
How many will there be the first month it opens? 3?

Is there a list of current ridership numbers from all GO stations in Ontario? I'm curious about the numbers.
Hamilton Spectator July 8 2015:

"Metrolinx projects a 200-person ridership per day for the West Harbour GO Station, a microscopic figure compared to Burlington and Aldershot GO stations, where the total daily ridership is 6,973 for Burlington and 5,444 for Aldershot, according to Metrolinx."

Quote:
A friend who lives on Stoney Creek mountain (close-ish to Highland and Highway 20) thinks it's still better to drive to Burlington station.
His contention is that although it's quicker to drive to/from the Confederation station, (assuming rush hour service will be available) the fares will be more expensive and the overall commute would take longer because of the added time on the train (30 minutes?).

I can see his point, although a few assumptions were made.

Can anyone provide more details on fares/time/schedule?
The Confederation schedule would presumably be no better than Harbour West… which, according to the GO Regional Express Rail Initial Business Case, is anticipated to be hourly service during weekday rush hour in peak direction, and nothing else for the foreseeable future. At full build, West Harbour would see one or two more trains per rush than it does currently. Two-way all-day service is forecast for Hamilton GO Centre and Aldershot GO alone.

The ridership estimates are not significantly different than those that appear in a 2015 Niagara Rail Service Expansion EA Study: a combined total of 1,650 rail passengers using Hamilton's three stations on an average 2031 weekday, or just 300 more in each weekday rush than you would currently find. And commuter rail service levels are generally driven by demand.

For most drivers, it's simple math. You're stopped at the lights at Barton and Centennial. Do you drive 12 minutes across the Skyway to either Aldershot GO or Burlington GO, or park at Confederation GO and wait for a train that will take you 20-25 minutes to get to Aldershot GO/25-30 minutes to get to Burlington GO?

Last edited by thistleclub; Jun 15, 2017 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Hamilton Spectator July 8 2015:

"Metrolinx projects a 200-person ridership per day for the West Harbour GO Station, a microscopic figure compared to Burlington and Aldershot GO stations, where the total daily ridership is 6,973 for Burlington and 5,444 for Aldershot, according to Metrolinx."

The Confederation schedule would presumably be no better than Harbour West… which, according to the GO Regional Express Rail Initial Business Case, is anticipated to be hourly service during weekday rush hour in peak direction, and nothing else for the foreseeable future. At full build, West Harbour would see one or two more trains per rush than it does currently. Two-way all-day service is forecast for Hamilton GO Centre and Aldershot GO alone.

The ridership estimates are not significantly different than those that appear in a 2015 Niagara Rail Service Expansion EA Study: a combined total of 1,650 rail passengers using Hamilton's three stations on an average 2031 weekday, or just 300 more in each weekday rush than you would currently find. And commuter rail service levels are generally driven by demand.

For most drivers, it's simple math. You're stopped at the lights at Barton and Centennial. Do you drive 12 minutes across the Skyway to either Aldershot GO or Burlington GO, or park at Confederation GO and wait for a train that will take you 20-25 minutes to get to Aldershot GO/25-30 minutes to get to Burlington GO?

Then maybe Aldershot should be closed and everything there moved to West Harbour.

=P

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 3:23 PM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:53 PM

Metrolinx to begin Confederation GO train station construction later this year

12:31 PM by Kevin Werner / Stoney Creek News

Metrolinx will start building the $150 million Confederation GO train station by the end of 2017, said Metrolinx officials.

Information on the Metrolinx website reveals that work on the design of the station is about half-way complete, with the idea of completing the plans later this fall.

“It will enable two-way (weekday) train service from Toronto through Hamilton/Stoney Creek and Hamilton,” stated Scott Money, media relations officer for Metrolinx in an email.

The station, said Money, will have a ticket sales area, shops and a waiting area; an island platform with a pedestrian tunnel allowing people to access both sides of the corridor; heated train shelters and platform canopies; an accessible platform with elevators; a bus loop with heated shelters; a kiss and ride area; vehicle and bike parking; and direct stair access from the platform to Centennial Parkway.

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7...ter-this-year/

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:15 PM

Wow. Do we really need a $150 million dollar station? And starting building at the end of 2017? Has there actually been any concrete announcement of service?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Wow. Do we really need a $150 million dollar station? And starting building at the end of 2017? Has there actually been any concrete announcement of service?
The station itself is only $35 million, the rest is track work, etc.
Build it and they will come

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 8:25 PM

I guess all the work that's been done already (bridge, street, etc) isn't counted towards this?

The bridge has room for another track, so I guess that's what they'll be adding along with the actual station.

After hearing about how little the West Harbor station is used, I have to believe this will have the same results. As I stated a few pages back, I'm not sure many people will take the train from here to Toronto instead of taking it from Aldershot or Burlington. Faster and cheaper.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 8:31 PM

Quote:
I guess all the work that's been done already (bridge, street, etc) isn't counted towards this?

The bridge has room for another track, so I guess that's what they'll be adding along with the actual station.

After hearing about how little the West Harbor station is used, I have to believe this will have the same results. As I stated a few pages back, I'm not sure many people will take the train from here to Toronto instead of taking it from Aldershot or Burlington. Faster and cheaper.
Apparently Grimsby, St Kitts and Niagara Falls are chomping at the bit to get their stations though.

Once those are set up we could see increased traffic, not only to Toronto but to the Niagara region as well. Think wine country and Niagara Falls.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 11:13 PM
Hammer'd

I'm thinking the plan will be to remove the existing GO bus stop at Barton and Nash to have it moved to this station, once completed. If existing HSR routes in the area were also somehow connected up to the station, I think we'd see a much faster passenger growth rate than there has been at the West Harbour station thus far. Keep in mind that the LRT terminal will also be South of the station at Eastgate Square, which should be completed at roughly the same time. Another huge trip generator and convenient way for Niagara commuters to get straight to downtown Hamilton without dealing with all the highways.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:20 AM

the problem with the west harbor station and the Hunter station is the lack of frequency... once there are more trains running it will be much more convenient than Burlington and eventually much busier than Burlington

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:41 PM

I wonder if the LRT will see a future extension from Eastgate to the Go station. Underground would be a good option because road traffic is already congested during the afternoon rush.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
I wonder if the LRT will see a future extension from Eastgate to the Go station. Underground would be a good option because road traffic is already congested during the afternoon rush.
There is no way we see an underground LRT along Centennial.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I'm thinking the plan will be to remove the existing GO bus stop at Barton and Nash to have it moved to this station, once completed. If existing HSR routes in the area were also somehow connected up to the station, I think we'd see a much faster passenger growth rate than there has been at the West Harbour station thus far. Keep in mind that the LRT terminal will also be South of the station at Eastgate Square, which should be completed at roughly the same time. Another huge trip generator and convenient way for Niagara commuters to get straight to downtown Hamilton without dealing with all the highways.
Isn't the Confederation Go Station supposed to be completed in 2019 while LRT in 2024?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
What would motivate commuters from Niagara to transfer onto LRT to go downtown when they could just ride the GO Train directly to West Harbour? Commuters tend to utilize the path of least resistance, i.e. minimize transfer points.

What it could do is serve Niagara commuters heading to McMaster University, the demographic most likely to use it once in place.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:24 PM

I know the dynamics and complexities of having all day train service to and from Hamilton.

But...does anyone have any updates regarding this? Metrolinx always says 10 years when I ask them.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 6:33 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
What would motivate commuters from Niagara to transfer onto LRT to go downtown when they could just ride the GO Train directly to West Harbour? Commuters tend to utilize the path of least resistance, i.e. minimize transfer points.
Good point. I honestly completely forgot about the existence of West Harbour towards the end of my post there. I don't think I can be entirely blamed

Even still if the HSR makes the right changes to routes in the area to service the LRT frequently, I think it could make an excellent way for East Hamilton to connect to Niagara region commuters better. Enhanced 56 Centennial service would be the first logical step. I think nipping the 2 Barton back to the Centennial GO would also make sense, moving the existing connectivity to the Stoney Creek HSR routes at Bell Manor over to the GO station as well.

The idea of an LRT stub running from Eastgate to Centennial sounds about as or even more useless than the James North LRT to me. I believe one of the BLAST routes is already supposed to run along Centennial up to and across the South mountain anyway. It would definitely start at the Centennial GO station through Eastgate Square to connect up with the B-Line LRT.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 8:38 PM

The RER program has hourly express trains operating all day to Hamilton Centre GO. Not really sure what is involved in getting that though. RER's "completion" date is 2025, so 8 years out, but it could come earlier than that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure