HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
Thats all so cool.
Can someone post some extensive pics in the daytime, or let me know what's going on. I had been watching this construction every day from my window, but I'm now out of town for the next month and am excited to hear about the progress.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 8:03 PM

Some details of the deck-162 m x 74 m. Launch Girder-75 m.
There will be 16 Spans made up of 612 segments (10 x 39 and 6 x37) -each segment weighs about 55 tons. Spans will average 2200 tons. The spans will be placed during 2-hour windows on Sunday mornings when train traffic will be stopped.
The straddle carrier (the yellow, rubber-tired gantry) will move segments to a trolley (on rails) that will move them under the Launch Girder. They will be picked up and assembled into spans on the temporary platform over the tracks erected just east of Dyer Ave. Small screw jacks (painted red, yellow and green-DEAL is Italian) will be used to align the segments prior to post-tensioning.
All of the equipment is on site. The crews have been practicing moving one segment.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:48 PM

^^ To illustrate the principle:

jglover1028

It looks like practice time is almost over! There are now a total of 5 segments on the site. You can see one out on the temporary platform, one on the trolley, and three stacked up on the far right side of the picture. The one on the trolley seems to be missing its "wings," mkeit I don't know if you can speak as to why?

Also, it's my understanding that once a complete span is assembled, the entire launcher will move out over the tracks to place it. Is it also on rails of some kind? I've never been able to glimpse this part of the structure...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 2:13 PM

When will someone create a 2 new building diagrams for Manhattan West to reflect the height changes? The current ones have been here for years now.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlangosborne View Post
When will someone create a 2 new building diagrams for Manhattan West to reflect the height changes? The current ones have been here for years now.
We don't have heights yet, and there will be three buildings, not two.

The heights will be determined by the tenant needs.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 4:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Recent approvals that will allow the creation of the plaza...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
We don't have heights yet, and there will be three buildings, not two.

The heights will be determined by the tenant needs.

I'm surprised that Brookfield is still considering so much office space. I think they should switch the site to primarily residential and perhaps have only one large office building.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 5:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I'm surprised that Brookfield is still considering so much office space. I think they should switch the site to primarily residential and perhaps have only one large office building.
Not gonna happen. That area is zoned as primarily commercial space, and for good reason. Residential can be built anywhere. Brookfield has had this site for years, if they don't get a tenant to sign in the next year or so, there is no need to jump plans.

But beyond that, the site isn't configured to support 5 msf of residential space, or even half that.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 1:14 AM
New Yorker for life

Here we see how Brookfield was able to get a residential tower approved for the site...

Brookfield still meets the minimum FAR of 15 for commercial development...

This chart explains the ratio...

This graphic shows how the site was rezoned for pedestrian access, with a through corridor for the 450 site, if it were redeveloped.

The options Brookfield now has to continue pedestrian access through the High Line, with a connection at the SW portion of the site...

Another look at the site planning. As I've highlighted below, the height figures are for planning purposes.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 1:47 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2413933...-far-west-side

New skyline forms on Manhattan's far West Side

Dec 04, 2013
By DAN BOWENS

Quote:
Built around and on top of railroad tracks leading in and out of Penn Station, Manhattan West is no ordinary construction project.

"What Brookfield is doing is making land where land didn't exist before in areas that are hard to build on," said Henry Caso, vice president of construction for Brookfield Office Properties. "I get to play with some very cool toys as part of this project."

That big toy is a mega-sized piece of machinery called The Launcher. Each of the concrete segments weighs more than 50 tons. The launcher lifts them up putting them into place creating a span. Eventually 16 spans will cover the train tracks down below. It's technology typically used in bridge construction, and the first time it's being used for building construction in New York City.

Once the platform is complete, two 60-story skyscrapers and a residential tower will rise from the bedrock with a pedestrian plaza in between.

With 5.4 million square feet of development planned, Brookfield CEO Mitch Rudin said Manhattan West is an important piece of the area's transformation.

"The whole West Side has changed so much," Rudin said. "Whatever direction you look -- north, south -- you see these towers coming up. Seems if you're here, every six months you see something new."

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 9:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 9:34 PM

It's been said a lot here but....

...So it begins.

And it's a hella big It that's beginning.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 4:24 AM

I wish they'd move MSG over here and then build the towers above the arena.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I wish they'd move MSG over here and then build the towers above the arena.
But then how would NYC get a new, greatly expanded and improved Penn Station?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 11:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
But then how would NYC get a new, greatly expanded and improved Penn Station?
There was a plan to do just that.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=163351

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 11:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Shown with the Hudson Yards models, the heights aren't certain, but the configuration is...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 1:20 AM

Very Nice.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 10:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 5:12 PM

Manhattan West cover-up

The photo below shows the area that Manhattan West will block from the sky. Photo is looking west from the west end of Penn Station's platform for tracks 13/14. A train is entering one of the tunnels leading under the Hudson River, whose portals are under the AP HQ bldg/450 W 33rd. The tracks leading UP to the West Side Yards/Hudson Yards are towards the right of the train, and have an extra patch of sunlight at the far end, where they open to the sky west of 10th Ave.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 12:14 AM
New Yorker for life

I'll miss that opening, it signals the arrival into Penn Station. But not enough to make me wish this project wasn't happening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive