HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

I was about to say the same thing. The Austonian will stay the tallest unless they add more to the tower. Though this tower will look taller due to the ground being higher.

Once it starts construction they said it would only take a year to build. Wow talk about super fast for a tower that size. Also correct me if im wrong but since this is state owned and controlled land, the city of Austin will have little to no say in zoning or height. I can just see a bunch of NIMBYS raising hell over this since its fairly close to the capital.
One of the TV news stories said the state already approved that site for development (But it didn't say if height was a factor) and that's why the site was selected. Besides the elevation, another good thing about that site is that it is the dividing line between Downtown proper and campus. It should help tie together the high rises in both locations by allowing for a continuous skyline.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
So I contacted the people with the planetarium and got some wonderful news!

The proposed height is 655 feet. So that will put 33' taller than the roof of the Austonian and only 28' shorter than the Austonian spire, and 182' taller than the roof on the 360 and 74' taller than the top of the 360's spire. So it would be a new tallest for Austin! Which would make our 3 tallest residential. But since it is higher up in elevation I imagine that it will look even taller than the Austonian. Probably by like 50 feet or so.

Also, they might add more to the top. One idea they have is to add a restaurant with an observation deck to the top with elevators on the outside to reach it.

And if anyone wants to know more about it, every month they have a Southern Skies Social where they get together at House Wine in South Austin (408 Josephine Street at Barton Springs and S Lamar). It is the last Wednesday of every month (this Wed!!!) from 5 to 9pm and the bar donates 10% of its proceeds to the planetarium. They will be discussing all sorts of stuff from the building to the planetarium to space stuff too.

They asked me to ask all of y'all Skyscraper enthusiast to come and tell them what you like or don't like about it this Wednesday.

Also they have a fundraiser every second Tuesday at Opal Divine's on Mopac and Parmer if you can't make it on Wednesdays or if South Austin is scary to anyone.
YESSSSS. My best friend Kenny works at House Wine. We should all go. This has the potential to be such an iconic piece of Austin's skyline. I truly hope it gets support. I suggest we all email city council as well. Here's a direct link to email the Mayor, and CM: http://www.austintexas.gov/mail/all-council-members

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 5:56 PM
Old West Austin

I give the tower portion of this project less than a 10% chance of ever seeing the light of day and that's being generous. What banker in their right mind would loan $145 million to build a 47 story residential tower outside the core of downtown? And to a non-profit with zero experience in development? Don't get me wrong, the museum portion seems fabulous and their press release says they have "identified" one third of the funding for the $95 million it would take to build that. Plus they are too late for the bond party. They should have announced this a year ago and try to build momentum for it with the public. One last thought. Do you really want a 47 story tower looming over the capital? It would really be out of place. Great architecture however, would to see it built in the heart of downtown.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 6:07 PM

My money was on Spaceman to be the first wet blanket.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
This NEEDS to happen!!!!!! I'll sell my body on the streets to raise $$$$
Holy crap a molly! Cool! ( and... I thought you already did that>>>!!!! LOL!!)

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Holy crap a molly! Cool! ( and... I thought you already did that>>>!!!! LOL!!)
$hhhh

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 3:16 AM

Well, the state has said it plans to repurpose the whole area with mixed development. No more state monopoly on the clear spaces between the capitol and the campus. Life comes at last to the mausoleum district.

This is a great and ambitious start. I didn't expect the tower, but I appreciate them testing the boundaries of the new policy. Go planetarium!

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 9:07 AM

The Statesman was a little late to the planetarium party, but they have the best article about it:

http://www.statesman.com/business/re...y-2378684.html

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 12:42 PM
De Lurk Squad

The render looks to have all stainless steel panels on the north side of the tower(assuming the south side as well?). That would be very reflective on a sunny day. Very 60's futuristic!

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 6:22 PM

that's a fantastic looking tower.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 9:00 PM

impressive project. Proposal will have to be tweaked. Need hotel capacity for that part of town... that alone would spur competition from future projects. That part of town along MLK blvd has been underwhelming for years.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 3:13 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Opps I was typing on my droid phone my bad.

LMAO that is so funny.
You know, that thing's probably going to be hanging in dorm rooms from now on. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ
Op updated. Just need Kevin to make a thread for it now. =)
Done. I heard about this on KVUE the other day and saw the rendering. I thought they said 70-story or 17-story tower. I'm happy with a 47 story tower for sure. This would be the tallest building in Austin north of the Capitol.

Here's the link.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=1#post5715698

Glad you got the height for it, too. That is awesome. Technically, it will still be shorter than the Austonian by just 28 feet, but the roof of it will be higher than Austonian's main roof. And because of the higher elevation, this thing really will stick up. But still, officially it'll be listed as 655 feet since that's the height over the street level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestAustinite
One last thought. Do you really want a 47 story tower looming over the capital? It would really be out of place. Great architecture however, would to see it built in the heart of downtown.
Meh. This tower wouldn't block the view from I-35. And I doubt it'll block many other views. And besides, there are plenty of state office building ugos blocking the Capitol's view anyway.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 10:00 AM

I think that tower will look even better by itself ala the Williams tower in Houston. Plus I really like the way it looks, and the fact that it will stand out is a big plus.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:18 AM

I like it, somehow I get the impression when i look at the new Planetarium I think of the OCP headquarters off Robocop.

http://manabouttinseltown.blogspot.c...d-detroit.html

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 2:35 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 9:48 PM

I just had a random thought that I'd like to share. To all those who say being a native in Austin gives the right to be a NIMBY and that being born here somehow give them the right to feel proud. Well, if anything, those of us that CHOSE to move here made a conscious decision to move here knowing how it was. Believe me, I did not want to be born where I was. I was not urging my mom in her womb to be born in Wichita, lol. I would have loved being born here, it would have been so much more fun. Heading downtown at the age of 18 and actually have places to go into,,,,well, as for now I CHOOSE to stay here!!!

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
I just had a random thought that I'd like to share. To all those who say being a native in Austin gives the right to be a NIMBY and that being born here somehow give them the right to feel proud. Well, if anything, those of us that CHOSE to move here made a conscious decision to move here knowing how it was. Believe me, I did not want to be born where I was. I was not urging my mom in her womb to be born in Wichita, lol. I would have loved being born here, it would have been so much more fun. Heading downtown at the age of 18 and actually have places to go into,,,,well, as for now I CHOOSE to stay here!!!
Exactly. The arrogance of people who feel their opinions are worth more because they are native Austinites is beyond ridiculous. At some point in time a developer built their homes and places of work on pristine Hill Country land.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 7:08 AM

Apartments, hotel, entertainment complex planned near Domain

The Addison on Burnet

Quote:
A planned 40-acre development adjacent to the Domain in North Austin would feature apartments, a hotel, shops and a golf-focused entertainment complex, developers told the American-Statesman on Tuesday.

Austin-based Endeavor Real Estate Group purchased the site at Burnet Road and Esperanza Crossing from IBM Corp., and construction is set to begin next month.

Also Tuesday, Endeavor said it is continuing to expand its presence at the Domain. Founding principal David Roche said the company is planning 350 more apartment homes there, as well as 250,000 additional square feet of retail space, an office building and potentially a hotel. Endeavor already has 543 units under construction at the Domain.

"The success of the Domain to date has led us to be bullish on this area," Roche said.

The new mixed-use development, which is adjacent to the Kramer Lane MetroRail station, will be "designed with the pedestrian in mind," Roche said. Bike paths will be included, along with wide, tree-lined sidewalks.

ZOM Texas, developer of the high-rise Monarch apartment complex in downtown Austin, will use almost half of Endeavor's newly acquired site — 18 acres — to build the Addison, a three-story upscale apartment complex with a total of 388 units.

"I am encouraged by the ZOM announcement because it shows that the city's efforts to stimulate more infill activity through their catalytic investment at the Domain are spreading to nearby parcels," said Charles Heimsath, a local real estate consultant.

"Encouraging development within the existing city limits is more sustainable, and it will help maintain the strength of the local tax base."

The first apartments at the Addison should be ready for move-in by late 2013, according to ZOM Senior Vice President Kevin Wisdom.
http://www.statesman.com/business/ap...n-2381541.html

[

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 7:15 AM

257 apartment units to be built at East 11th and I-35

Quote:
By Shonda Novak AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Published: 9:40 p.m. Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Add another apartment project to Austin's multifamily building boom, this one 257 units planned for the southeast corner of East 11th Street and Interstate 35.

Austin-based Forestar Group Inc. said Tuesday that it will join with Canyon-Johnson Urban Funds LLC on the project, slated to break ground within a month at 807 E. 11th.

Canyon-Johnson — a private equity fund that's a partnership between former NBA star Earvin "Magic" Johnson's Magic Johnson Enterprises and Canyon Capital Realty Advisors — was a partner with Stratus Properties Inc. in developing the W Austin Hotel & Residences downtown.

The new project is being called Eleven. The first phase, 83 units, is projected to be completed in late July 2013, Forestar officials said.

Units will range from studios and lofts to one- and two-bedrooms.

Rents have not yet been announced.

The project joins a growing list of apartment projects that are planned or under construction in Central Texas, where the region's apartment sector has been the strongest segment of the commercial real estate market.

In the past few years, occupancies and rents have been on the rise, fueled by job and population growth and a tight supply of available units.

With views of downtown and the state Capitol, Eleven will consist of a four-story building above a two-story parking garage.

Amenities will include a pool, rooftop deck, courtyard with outdoor living area, a clubhouse and fitness facilities, officials said.
http://www.statesman.com/business/re...t-2381603.html

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 7:39 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
So that makes about 20-25 mixed use apartment complexes planned or under construction right now in central Austin alone meaning at least 5000 new units in the market alone within the next five years. This is actually a good thing as it will stave off further price increases keeping Austin cheap to live in, which in turn keeps population growth steady.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations