HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 3:41 AM

The Argos brass of Copeland is pulling the same stunts that Braley has done.

They have cut the marketing budget - deeply - by half.

They have cut the freebies to paper the house.

Off Field, promotions have been scaled back.

With marketing, I remember last year you saw Ads all over town promoting the Argos and the move to BMO Field. It still didn't help, but the visual awareness was at least out there and did end up luring some new people to the park.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 4:03 AM

They've cut it all because it's like flushing money down a toilette. The CFL is dead in T.O. even my phones tried to auto correct the CFL to NFL. Nobody in Toronto cares about the Argos.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 4:09 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
They've cut it all because it's like flushing money down a toilette. The CFL is dead in T.O. even my phones tried to auto correct the CFL to NFL. Nobody in Toronto cares about the Argos.
It wasn't advertising that brought fans back to the Blue Jays. It was winning. I think they're adopting the same strategy.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 4:37 AM

I interrupt this riveting discussion about Toronto Argonauts marketing to mention that former CFLer and present-day finance exec Randy Ambrosie is about to be named the CFL's new commissioner.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-ambrosie-to...ioner-1.791833

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 11:38 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I interrupt this riveting discussion about Toronto Argonauts marketing to mention that former CFLer and present-day finance exec Randy Ambrosie is about to be named the CFL's new commissioner.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-ambrosie-to...ioner-1.791833
I don't quite get how Naylor "confirmed" the Free Press story. Is he a CFL spokesman? I would have thought journalistic etiquette would be to humbly credit Hamilton with his scoop, rather than to imply that you are finishing a job that was only halfway done by giving the story a spurious "confirmation".

Now back to the Argos.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 1:54 PM

"Now back to the Argos"

Hahaha nice.

If it is indeed true, I like the sounds of hiring of Ambroise. I'm not old enough to know him as a player but being in the accounting/finance industry I can appreciate the incite from that aspect he can bring to the league. Being optimistic, I hope being a former player Ambroise can shed some sort of common freaking sense on what the league should do with challange/video replay.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 1:58 PM
Community Guy

T-minus 36hrs

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I don't quite get how Naylor "confirmed" the Free Press story. Is he a CFL spokesman? I would have thought journalistic etiquette would be to humbly credit Hamilton with his scoop, rather than to imply that you are finishing a job that was only halfway done by giving the story a spurious "confirmation".

Now back to the Argos.
I think he realized he f*cked up and tweeted credit to Jeff Hamilton after

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/st...35395673464832

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
T-minus 36hrs
Any truth to the rumour Connor McDavid is going to buy the Eskimos with his lunch money? Hope you get good weather and a good crowd, CFL deserves more love.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 7:51 PM

CFL TV ratings drop 11 per cent in week one
Posted on June 29, 2017 by 3Down Staff // 0 Comments
The CFL has taken a TV ratings hit to open the 2017 regular season.

While the season-opener between Montreal and Saskatchewan was watched by 851,000 across Canada, making it the most-watched opener in four seasons, the English-language number for TSN was just 620,000 – less than the 692,000 that tuned in to 2016 CFL lid-lifter between Hamilton and Toronto.

Overall, the average English-language viewership for the four games in week one this season was 521,000, compared to a 592,000 average in 2016. That’s a decline of 11.2 per cent.

That said, the CFL should get a bump from the opening of new Mosaic Stadium in Regina on Saturday… assuming the entire province of Saskatchewan isn’t at the game.

Week 1 English language CFL ratings

Thursday
Saskatchewan at Montreal: 620,000

Friday
Calgary at Ottawa: 457,000

Saturday
Edmonton at B.C.: 596,000

Sunday
Hamilton at Toronto: 422,000

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:23 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post

While the season-opener between Montreal and Saskatchewan was watched by 851,000 across Canada, making it the most-watched opener in four seasons, the English-language number for TSN was just 620,000
So about 230,000 on RDS. The Alouettes' ratings in French are remarkably consistent, always between 200-250k.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:14 AM
Majestic

Great couple of games by Ottawa and Calgary. Way to open up a season.

Flickr

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:59 AM

Wow this might be the best beginning to the season in a long time. Keep it going!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 12:41 PM

Even though Calgary got the win, I think weeks 1 and 2 will put to rest any notions that Ottawa is a lucky fluke team. They looked good. Spencer looked great out there... I'm a little surprised the Argos let him get away. The entire offence looked to be in sync with Harris looking very steady, and the O-line creating plenty of opportunities. Calgary's obviously a great team but Ottawa is really solid.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Even though Calgary got the win, I think weeks 1 and 2 will put to rest any notions that Ottawa is a lucky fluke team. They looked good. Spencer looked great out there... I'm a little surprised the Argos let him get away. The entire offence looked to be in sync with Harris looking very steady, and the O-line creating plenty of opportunities. Calgary's obviously a great team but Ottawa is really solid.
The RedBlacks made too many mistakes, something they were prone to last year as well. They need to tighten up or it could be a long season.

Trevor Harris played well enough for a win but the special teams and at times, the defense did not.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:06 PM

^ Ottawa's O line was terrible last night. It looked like Harris was a little slow getting rid of the ball with his arm being nicked up but for Christ sakes big boys, help him out a little.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
^ Ottawa's O line was terrible last night. It looked like Harris was a little slow getting rid of the ball with his arm being nicked up but for Christ sakes big boys, help him out a little.
I admit I didn't watch the entire game but from what I saw, it looked to me like they held their own against Calgary's front 7, created some good holes and what not. Although I do see from the stat sheet that Calgary got 4 sacks on the night, so maybe not the greatest protection.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 3:36 PM

^ They cleaned it up in the 4th quarter especially Gott and like you said created some holes for the RB. But I thought they were terrible in the 1st half and much of the 3rd qtr.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:29 PM
ハルウララ

I really don't want to start raising any red flags but the attendance in Calgary last night was the lowest for a Stampeders game in twenty years. 24,613 is the lowest attendance for a regular season game in Calgary since Week 6, 1997 against Winnipeg.

It's easy to give Toronto a hard time but nobody seems to be raising this point about last night's game.

Please don't chase me out with pitchforks.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I really don't want to start raising any red flags but the attendance in Calgary last night was the lowest for a Stampeders game in twenty years. 24,613 is the lowest attendance for a regular season game in Calgary since Week 6, 1997 against Winnipeg.

It's easy to give Toronto a hard time but nobody seems to be raising this point about last night's game.

Please don't chase me out with pitchforks.
Have you ever actually watched a CFL game, or is your interest mainly limited to scouring attendance and viewership numbers so that you can find negative things to post here?

I am genuinely hard pressed to remember a comment of yours in this thread that wasn't in the vein of "oh oh, here's some ominous news"

Honestly, if you find the CFL that uninteresting, why not go find something else to do?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada