HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
people who don't like IPA's are super-tasters, and what an unfortunate lot those poor souls are.
I'm not. I have gotten my DNA tested, and I don't have the supertaster gene. Plus I love broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and the like. I'm fine with bitter vegetables, I just don't like bitter drinks. Probably the same reason I've always found coffee drinks gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'm a Wit guy and glad to see more breweries putting out more of these and other Belgian styles than simply the 10,000 varieties of IPA's flooding the craft scene.
I was big into wits when I was younger, but now I'm more heavy into sours and farmhouse-style ales. I like a lot of stouts as well, and I'm always up for a fruited/spiced beer. Whatever, so long as the hops aren't noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It's ok, I drink wine for the most part!
I suppose I would rather drink an IPA than wine, if you forced me to drink one or the other.

Wine is a lot like jazz for me. People keep telling me there's this great stuff out there to explore, yet every time I dipped my toe in, I don't enjoy it at all.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 8:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i have yet to meet an alcoholic beverage that i won't dive into. i like to drink.

well, except unaged whiskey, ie. white lightning, but i don't place that garbage in the "beverage" category.

it's more of a cleaning solvent than anything you should ever voluntarily put into your body. that shit is nasty.

i mean, if you're gonna drink white lightning, then you might as well pour yourself a glass of liquid plumber while you're at it.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 1, 2018 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 8:56 PM

With a lot of '80s style cues popular among the millennials and younger crowd, I think wine coolers are due for a big comeback. Or they should be at least.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
With a lot of '80s style cues popular among the millennials and younger crowd, I think wine coolers are due for a big comeback. Or they should be at least.

When I was younger and on a date at a place which specialized in Belgian beer, the woman I was with sipped a bit of a lambic, and told me it tasted just like a wine cooler.

To this day, I've been unable to buy lambics (which I loved before then). I don't think they taste just like wine coolers, but I can't shake the thought I'm wasting money whenever I consider buying one.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 9:38 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm not. I have gotten my DNA tested, and I don't have the supertaster gene. Plus I love broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and the like. I'm fine with bitter vegetables, I just don't like bitter drinks. Probably the same reason I've always found coffee drinks gross.

I was big into wits when I was younger, but now I'm more heavy into sours and farmhouse-style ales. I like a lot of stouts as well, and I'm always up for a fruited/spiced beer. Whatever, so long as the hops aren't noticeable.

I suppose I would rather drink an IPA than wine, if you forced me to drink one or the other.

Wine is a lot like jazz for me. People keep telling me there's this great stuff out there to explore, yet every time I dipped my toe in, I don't enjoy it at all.
I've had some sours. Depends on the style and quality. I have some that are down right excellent.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 10:17 PM

the nice thing about wine is its not a gut bomb. IPAs are great, but they will tear up my gastrointestinal system for a good 12 hours post

What I'm saying is...you're gonna be fartin a lot

Last edited by Via Chicago; Mar 1, 2018 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
When I was younger and on a date at a place which specialized in Belgian beer, the woman I was with sipped a bit of a lambic, and told me it tasted just like a wine cooler.

To this day, I've been unable to buy lambics (which I loved before then). I don't think they taste just like wine coolers, but I can't shake the thought I'm wasting money whenever I consider buying one.
I have these irrational feelings when it comes to certain drinks as well. Some little things stick in our brains for some reason.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 12:19 AM

I'm all for these breweries opening up, but what I am sick of about craft breweries is the prices. Those fuckers are bleeding us dry.

$6.50 - $9.00+ for a beer at these places (and bars who have lots of craft on draft).

Which now has resulted in regular domestics priced at $5 as the "cheap" beers on their draft list. Oh, maybe you can get a Miller Lite or Coors Light for $4.50.

It has normalized the up-pricing of crap beer and I'm fucking sick of it.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 4:15 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yeah the in-bar cost of beer has gotten out of hand. Sadly, I'm old enough to remember 50 cent beer nights at wrigleyville sports bars back in the day where you could drink ALL night long and get utterly shit faced with nothing more than a 10 dollar bill in your wallet.

In some ways I'm lucky that I'm a parent now because >90% of my beer drinking these days is at home. I typically pick up sixers in $8 - $11 range. That makes craft brew enjoyment A LOT more affordable.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 4:42 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
i have yet to meet an alcoholic beverage that i won't dive into. i like to drink.

well, except unaged whiskey, ie. white lightning, but i don't place that garbage in the "beverage" category.

it's more of a cleaning solvent than anything you should ever voluntarily put into your body. that shit is nasty.

i mean, if you're gonna drink white lightning, then you might as well pour yourself a glass of liquid plumber while you're at it.
so about 20yrs ago in the prime early brooklyn hipster era there was a craze for making moonshine on the roofs of diy converted warehouse buildings in the burg and having moonshine parties. its was very, you know, authentic and part of the early hand crafted revival thing. you will not be that surprized that trend or whateverrr came and went.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 1:26 PM

Quote:
In some ways I'm lucky that I'm a parent now because >90% of my beer drinking these days is at home. I typically pick up sixers in $8 - $11 range. That makes craft brew enjoyment A LOT more affordable.
Once I got married, and especially after I had kids, I cut back on my drinking considerably (which was never excessive). I only have more than 1-2 drinks a night maybe four times a year now. Part of it is getting drunk seems like a waste of time now that I don't need "liquid courage," and part of it is just my body really doesn't need any more extra calories. Thus springing for expensive beer doesn't really phase me, considering how little of it I really drink now.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 1:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^ yeah the in-bar cost of beer has gotten out of hand. Sadly, I'm old enough to remember 50 cent beer nights at wrigleyville sports bars back in the day where you could drink ALL night long and get utterly shit faced with nothing more than a 10 dollar bill in your wallet.

I remember those 50 cent Coronas on Tuesdays and it wasn't that long ago. Sadly that place went out of business and I could never figure out why.

Then there was the fall-back dive bar of 'dollar you call-its' and like you said, you could walk in with 10 bucks have a great time and leave with change.

E) when you got the check and the bill was $3.24, was it appropriate to leave a $0.65 tip--20%--or should you round up to a dollar?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Some are factories in addition to restaurants. That can bring new money to the city. At least it can keep local money in town vs. sending it to conglomerates out of state.
In the case of Lagunitas Chicago (and this post is going to be heavy on the Lagunitas) it's literally a 300,000 SF steel mill converted into a beer factory with taproom. If you haven't been there it's one of the craziest things you will ever see. It's like the "final form" of the Millenial generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This, absolutely. We are actually just going back to how it used to be. Breweries were always local.
Everything used to be local. People, like my parents, are constantly confused by what a "hipster" is. I finally go through to them with this explaination:

Hipster is a person who seeks out "authenticity". Authenticity is individual identity based around making themselves truly "different" and "special", nevermind the fact that so many people are seeking this lifestyle that it has become a trope itself. Why are so many people like this? Because you had a whole generation raised during the most corporate, generic, era, the 1990's, where everything was Walmart, McDonalds, Gap, etc etc etc. They were also told ad nauseum during this time by everyone from Mr. Rogers, to their little league soccer participation trophy, to their parents how they are all special little snowflakes who are "the best" and so super unique and great. Then this entire generation was sent to college (at far higher rates than any generation before) where they were further instilled with the idea that they are special and will change the world... Only be to dumped into the workforce as young adults during the midst of the greatest economic cataclysm in 70 years. Quite a shock to the system.

So that's when the hipster becomes a thing, suddenly a generation of people who were told how special they are realize "well shit, I ain't special at all unless I make myself special". So, given widespread unemployment and underemployment (despite the "guarantee" of employment from their college educations) and a sense of bruised ego, they set out to find a way to make themselves "special". This resulted in wholesale rejection of brands and mass marketed products. This resulted in everyone and their mother getting a tattoo or buying "unique" (read ugly) articles of clothing at thrift stores. This resulted in crazy hairdos and every imaginable variation on facial hair (again to set oneself apart and express the "individual"). This resulted in a deconstruction of many decades old business models as an entire generation not only had changing tastes, but was suddenly deprived of the means (good corporate job right out of college) that enabled the status quo for decades. Even social media put further emphasis on the "individual" and created a form of creeping narcissism where one must maintain their personal "brand" at all times lest they have a photo of them drinking Bud Light posted for all to see on Facebook.

This was also compounded with increasing automation (or plastic junk imported from China) making the corporate brands they were raised with increasingly crappier and more generic. This drove the creation of a new economy within the larger economy that I call the "craft economy". This is not just beer, but all the new "handmade" industries or "organic" industries or "locally sourced" industries patronized by Millenial hipsters. A rejection of the suburban corporatized environment was the seed for the explosion of inner city craft businesses that we've seen. It's driven a return to the local and craft beer is one of the poster children for it.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i think it has more to do with that people are having 1-2 really good beers, rather than, like, drinking like someone who just got off their 3rd shift from the factory and pounding a half case of bud light
For such a bleeding heart liberal you really like to shit on blue collar people. Why not say that people would rather have 1-2 really good beers rather than drinking a whole case of Natty like a frat boy on a "Thirsty Thursday" night?

Quote:
Speaking personally, yuck! I'm really happy that the "hop trend" is starting to recede a bit now and we're getting more interesting things like sours. I really hated it when I went into a brewery and everything other than maybe 1-2 beers was some variant on an IPA.
The "hop trend" was the initial revolution that caught people's attention. You have to realize that most beer since prohibition, even in Europe, was not hop forward. The IPA itself is something of a relic of another time, a beer that was invented simply to try to stay fresh long enough to make long voyages. It was never brewed because people though "ah yes, super bitter beer, so delicious".

Come the advent of craft brewing in the United States and people are suddenly digging up old styles and experimenting. They quickly realized you could do some crazy shit with hops that would cut through to even the most grease and salt deadend taste buds of Americans. Suddenly the IPA comes onto the scene full blown as the most versatile hoppy style.

As the craft beer movement has matured, they have begun to go back to styles that were largely ignored because of the sudden enamoration with hops. As breweries have grown and more resources have been thrown at craft beer in the US, suddenly American craft brewers have started churning out much better versions of more difficult to brew/perfect (like Belgians or Sours) or subtle (like Pilsners or Lagers) styles.

I for one still like a good American hop bomb maybe 30-50% of the time depending on the time of the year, but find myself gravitating to lighter, easier to drink, styles like Pils or Lager with the occasional Sour now. They are still more rare than your typical hoppy beer, but you can find so many good pilsners that I drink almost exclusively pils whenever I have the option of a new or interesting one. Pils, ironically given the claim of many American macro piss waters to be a "pilsner", has become by far my favorite style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
the ipa market has shifted too away from bitter/strong west coast IPAs, in favor of hazy, tropical NE style IPAs. the market has exploded with demand for these. they pretty much eliminate a lot of the bitterness people associate with the style, although theyre also insanely expensive to produce.

that said, 11.8% is an exaggeration, i havent really run across that. most ive seen max out around 8% or so (and thats for a double IPA). 12% is gonna be like, a bourbon barrel aged stout (which i think is also a fad that i dont really need any more of)
11.8% really isn't an exaggeration. Lagunitas has multiple non-barrel aged hoppy beers that meet or exceed the 10% mark. I was just drinking some triple IPA there last week that was 11%.

A good Imperial Stout can easily exceed the low teens. I've got some bottles of Dark Lord that are 15% ABV "stock" with a special variant that is around 18% ABV. It's basically liquor with the consistency of molasses. Not something you want to drink every day, but a great thing to pull out to share for a celebration.

Quote:
I'm all for these breweries opening up, but what I am sick of about craft breweries is the prices. Those fuckers are bleeding us dry.

$6.50 - $9.00+ for a beer at these places (and bars who have lots of craft on draft).

Which now has resulted in regular domestics priced at $5 as the "cheap" beers on their draft list. Oh, maybe you can get a Miller Lite or Coors Light for $4.50.

Eh, I don't really see it and don't ever buy the crap beer so I don't care. Lagunitas taproom is $5 for every beer. They did just reduce the size for some styles, but I think that has more to do with "we don't want people drinking pints of 13% IBV High Westified coffee stout and getting totally blasted" than pricing.

Also, if you go to "real" parts of the United States like Wisconsin or Iowa, the dirt beer is still dirt cheap. The interesting thing is that the local crafts are going straight for the throat of the Macros. In Wisconsin New Glarus Spotted Cow is in every single bar right next to Miller Light and Budweiser and their pricing is creeping ever closer as they build volume. You can now get a Spotted Cow at a bar in rural Wisconsin for like $4 when they sell the Bud or Miller for $2.50... Spotted Cow has now become the top selling beer brand in Madison (state capital, more importantly where the best and brightest from all over the state go to learn how to drink for 4 years). Obviously this is even more interesting since Wisconsin is the home turf of Miller. If this trend continues it will only take the passing of the older generations whose brand loyalties are already set before Macro beers are a historical relic in much of the state. I've already seen redneck fishing rigs with "NEW GLARUS, DRINK LOCAL" Wisconsin logos right next to "MUSKY HUNTER" bumper stickers.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:

One DIPA at 9% and $7.50 will give you a whole lot more of a buzz, flavor, and enjoyment than three 4.2% Miller Lites at $5/ pop (plus save you on calories).

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Come the advent of craft brewing in the United States and people are suddenly digging up old styles and experimenting. They quickly realized you could do some crazy shit with hops that would cut through to even the most grease and salt deadend taste buds of Americans. Suddenly the IPA comes onto the scene full blown as the most versatile hoppy style.

As the craft beer movement has matured, they have begun to go back to styles that were largely ignored because of the sudden enamoration with hops. As breweries have grown and more resources have been thrown at craft beer in the US, suddenly American craft brewers have started churning out much better versions of more difficult to brew/perfect (like Belgians or Sours) or subtle (like Pilsners or Lagers) styles.
Yeah. I have heard that one reason why hoppy beers are popular with brewers is they are relatively easy to make. The hops overpower basically everything else in the flavor palate, meaning no one will notice if the batch is slightly "off."

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 3:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Yeah. I have heard that one reason why hoppy beers are popular with brewers is they are relatively easy to make. The hops overpower basically everything else in the flavor palate, meaning no one will notice if the batch is slightly "off."
that's what my old college friend who now owns a brewery out in Oregon told me.

he said a decent enough IPA is a relatively easy thing to make because they're so hop forward that the hops can mask mistakes the brewer may have made during the brewing process.

it makes no difference to me. i LOVE hops, so hop that shit up!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 2, 2018 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 3:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

the good ol' days. It is just crazy that a fucking lousy Buttwisser costs $12 at a baseball game.

Shitty beer for an outrageous price.

Before moving, the Montreal Expos once had a $2 hotdog (costco size), $2 beer night. The stadium was full, and what a great (if somewhat hazy) atmosphere. Had myself 3-4 hotdogs and a gallon of beer.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
that's what my old college friend who now owns a brewery out in Oregon told me.

he said a decent enough IPA is a relatively easy thing to make because they're so hop forward that the hops can mask other minor imperfections the brewer may have made during the brewing process.

it makes no difference to me. i LOVE hops, so hop that shit up!
You should try Pilsners, a good Pils is going to still have a bit of that hoppy bite, but followed up by a much smoother and more complex aftertaste. I love Lagunitas Pils for example, you get all of the skunky after tastes with just a more subtle bite on the onset.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 3:38 PM

I don't mean to sound like a snob, but I just can't drink cheap beer any longer. I mean, I might have drank way too much PBR when I was 23 since I could get pounders at the local 80s night for $1, but I'd rather be not drinking than drinking something which either tastes terrible, or doesn't taste like anything at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions