HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Who says they can't add housing and/or offices above the mall? There are malls everywhere that have towers attached to them with ground floor pedestrian activity on the streets. There's all the reason in the world to believe that will happen here too as the city gets denser. Removing a mall, especially a profitable one, just because you don't like malls is kinda senseless.

I fully expect that there will be new towers popping up at the edges of the mall as time goes on. Eventually surface parking lots will be too valuable NOT to develop.
I obviously know it's private property and I'm just dreaming. I actually like your idea of reappropriation! I was being too fanatical about my mall hate that I couldn't see that option.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 2:31 AM
Karma Police

It's not really reappropriation, it's just adding high density uses on top of what's already there. Starting with the obvious, adding towers where the parking lots and garages are, then eventually redevelop bits and pieces of the mall, like the Nordstrom end, or the Sears/Marshalls end, etc. It will happen a litle bit at a time, but the mall remains essentially intact.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Who says they can't add housing and/or offices above the mall?
the upper story of the mall is offices. i've done paid market research, been to the dentist, and been to the dermatologist. spaces seem well used.

also the mall connects via skywalk to more offices. if you visit that skywalk mid day, its full of people.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 6:32 AM
A before E

Quote:
Who says they can't add housing and/or offices above the mall? There are malls everywhere that have towers attached to them with ground floor pedestrian activity on the streets. There's all the reason in the world to believe that will happen here too as the city gets denser. Removing a mall, especially a profitable one, just because you don't like malls is kinda senseless.

I fully expect that there will be new towers popping up at the edges of the mall as time goes on. Eventually surface parking lots will be too valuable NOT to develop.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the mall someday in the future redevelop the parking on the northeast part or that parking lot along the eastern end. Overall I think the mall will stick around as a whole until it one day becomes nonprofitable, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 9:24 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeldip View Post
the upper story of the mall is offices. i've done paid market research, been to the dentist, and been to the dermatologist. spaces seem well used.

also the mall connects via skywalk to more offices. if you visit that skywalk mid day, its full of people.
Yes, I know the third floor is mostly offices. I was talking about adding high rise offices and housing above the mall itself, mainly at the perimeter where the surrounding streets would be activated.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 9:40 AM

Quote:

It's actually fairly well designed for it with all the parking structures. Those can usually be replaced with towers fairly easily.

The area next to NE 15th seems like an obvious place since it's just surface lots currently.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 9:26 PM

Just stumbled across this. I haven't heard of it yet. On one of the remaining AAT lots?

http://www.myhregroup.com/portfolio/2/314/CambriaSuites

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 1:58 AM

It looks like that was a proposal for the Schlesinger owned land directly north of the Convention Center, where the Convention Center Hyatt is now proposed to go.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 8:30 AM

A couple years back there was a proposal to tear down the Broadway Furniture store at 228 NE Broadway, and build apartments. Well, there's a building permit under review that indicates it's staying:

Quote:
PARTIAL CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY AND TI FOR NEW TENANT; INTERIOR DEMO AND NEW BUILDOUT FOR HARDWARE STORE TO INCLUDE NEW INTERIOR STAIRCASE, THREE NEW RESTROOMS; NEW ROOF; NEW STOREFRONT; VOLUNTARY SEISMIC RETROFITTING
Looks like the tenant is Ace Hardware.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Nov 25, 2014 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 2:02 PM

Are you reading our minds? I was *just* wondering about that project yesterday! Great work, maccoinnich!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
A couple years back there was a proposal to tear down the Broadway Furniture store at 228 NE Broadway, and build apartments. Well, there's a building permit under review that indicates it's staying:

Looks like the tenant is Ace Hardware.

I noticed this the other day. Sooo disappointed. It would have been a great jump start to that stretch of Broadway and Weidler from like 7th to the Rose Quarter if that residential building had gone up.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 11:23 PM

This strikes me as just as much a mistake as turning Hollywood Bowl into a hardware store. That location screams for housing and ground floor retail.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 11:59 PM

Yeah I agree. It's nice to see that building have new life, but why couldn't they tear it down and build some apartments with Ace as the ground floor tenant?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 AM

I don't have any problem with it. One of the charms of the Pearl is that it isn't all new buildings — there are also lots of old warehouses that have been converted to other uses. The Lloyd District doesn't have as many of these older buildings waiting to be repurposed, so I'm happy to see one of the few fabric buildings left gain a new lease of life. If Hassalo on 8th is successful in turning the area into a desirable place to live then there are plenty of surface parking lots that are just waiting to be developed.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 6:58 AM

I wouldn't have a problem with it either, if it weren't right on a streetcar stop. Does anybody even use that stop?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I don't have any problem with it. One of the charms of the Pearl is that it isn't all new buildings — there are also lots of old warehouses that have been converted to other uses. The Lloyd District doesn't have as many of these older buildings waiting to be repurposed, so I'm happy to see one of the few fabric buildings left gain a new lease of life. If Hassalo on 8th is successful in turning the area into a desirable place to live then there are plenty of surface parking lots that are just waiting to be developed.
Couldn't agree more. Unless they surround it with barbed wire and side it with corrugated metal, we know with a fair amount of certainty what this building will look like after remodel. Relieved they are keeping it.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 8:11 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Lol, so all along I thought this was the Hollywood Bowl on NE Halsey along 84. Had no idea there was one on Broadway in the Lloyd District!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Red Lion comes down in Lloyd District to make way for new hotel

A steel skeleton is just about all that remains of the former Red Lion Hotel in the Lloyd District across from the Oregon Convention Center.

Construction crews have been gutting the building to make way for the Hotel Eastlund, which is being billed as a luxury boutique hotel that will open in May 2015.

A project of Seattle-based Grand Ventures Hotel LLC, the new hotel will have about 170 rooms, meeting space and two restaurants from Portland chef David Machado.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 6:27 AM

I just drove by it the other day and was wondering why it looked so stripped. I guess this is more of a renovation than I expected.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
I just drove by it the other day and was wondering why it looked so stripped. I guess this is more of a renovation than I expected.
I wish they had included a building over the old car garage to increase massing there and maybe make it a mixed-use residential project. I guess that could still happen someday if ever viable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland