HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 12:18 PM

Niagara Falls, ON: Victoria Centre

Victoria Centre is a neighborhood located just west of the tourist area of Clifton Hill, and just north of the other tourist area of Fallsview. Since the neighborhood is adjacent to the tuorist areas, there are several motels located in the vicinity for tourists. These motels are a cheap alternative to the highrise hotels in Fallsview that most tourists stay at. Aside from the motels that get overlooked due to the elegant hotels with views of the falls, Victoria Centre is a typical residential neighborhood in Niagara Falls.

Houses on Kitchener Street.

Houses on Desson Avenue.

Houses on McGrail Avenue.

Buildings on Magdalen Street. The Canadian-Polish Home is on the right.

A house and apartment building on McGrail Avenue.

The Firehall Theatre, on Walnut Street. The theatre is home to the Niagara Falls Music Theatre Society, and is housed in a 1917 fire house.

Thompson & Norris Company, Limited building, on Lewis Avenue. The structure was built in 1909 and was originally a cardboard box factory.

St. Ann Roman Catholic Church, on Buchanan Avenue.

Canadian Shredded Wheat Company, Limited building, at Centre Street and Lewis Avenue. The building is owned by Post Foods Canada.

Although now owned by Post Foods Canada, the factory was originally built by the Natural Food Company and then owned by Nabisco since 1928 to produce Shredded Wheat for Canada. Shredded Wheat has been produced in Niagara Falls since 1904, due to the hydroelectric power supply at the time.

The Niagara Falls Memorial Arena, on Centre Street at Lewis Avenue. The arena was built in 1950, and was once the home to the Niagara Falls Flyers and Niagara Falls Thunder of the Ontario Hockey League. The arena is now the home to the Niagara Falls Canucks of the Junior-B Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.

The Oasis Motel, on Centre Street at Lewis Avenue. Several small motels dot the neighborhood, indicating how close this average neighborhood is to the tourist destinations of Fallsview and Clifton Hill.

The Waldorf Motel, on Kitchener Street.

The Camelot Inn, on Stanley Avenue.

The Blackstone Inn, on Ellen Avenue.

The Olympia Motel, on Centre Street at McGrail Avenue.

Businesses on Victoria Avenue. Victoria Avenue forms the boundary between the Victoria Centre neighborhood and the tourist-centered Clifton Hill neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 2:30 PM
Eurosceptic

Nice shots of the distinctive Niagara Falls motel... it's as if time stopped in 1971

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 2:59 PM

Interesting views. Not typically the photos you see of Niagara.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 1:50 PM

You are so knowledgeable about these places. Amazing.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:12 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaming View Post
You are so knowledgeable about these places. Amazing.
I fully agree!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Have you visited downtown Niagara Falls (Ont)? Very down-at-the-heals.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Have you visited downtown Niagara Falls (Ont)? Very down-at-the-heals.
I did a phototour of Downtown Niagara Falls, Ontario, last year, along with one of the adjoining neighborhoods (thread is HERE). I'm hoing to hit up some more Niagara Falls neighborhoods, on both the Canadian and American sides, in the next couple of years. I actually have a decent amount of Niagara Falls, NY covered already.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 4:56 PM

Go to the Love Canal, would love to see photos from there.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon412 View Post
Go to the Love Canal, would love to see photos from there.
I'm way ahead of you! (Also includes pictures of LaSalle and Cayuga Island neighborhoods.)

While we're at it, here are the links to my other Niagara Falls NY neighborhood threads:

DeVeaux
Echota
Downtown

There will be one more Niagara Falls NY neighborhood thread coming up in the indefinite future, as I had time to quickly see another area. I won't mention the neighborhood for now, but if you look in another thread of mine about my recent trip to the area, and then do some research to see where a particular picture was taken, then you can figure it out.

As far as Ontario goes, this thread and the link up above to Downtown & Glenview is everything that I have, with the exception to a thread for Clifton Hill and Fallsview that I did a couple years ago and I believe is expired.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos