HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
Agreed. From that angle Kelowna looks terrible. Most high density development has been isolated along Ellis St and at the north end. 24 was supposed to go in but I think that project died some time ago. The new hotel will look fantastic. I think that will likely spur more development before Central Green does.

What see happened to the linear park idea? I can't find info on it by I recall an idea being floated to have a park installed along the north side of Hwy 97 connecting all the various empty spaces along that section. Very few buildings are along there and it would connect tourist points of interest together like the the old bridge anchor, downtown park, Abbott St pathway and future Ethel St pathway.
The Green belt along Harvey idea was merely conceptual as a result of the Downtown Plan charrette. It was shot down by city staff as being too expensive and was not included in the final Downtown Plan.

As for 24, in the recent articles about the Aquilini's trying to buy Sopa Square, their spokesman said it was on hiatus, not necessarily dead.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedub35 View Post
Northeast corner of hwy 97 and McCurdy. There is a strip mall there now that has the Brick, multiplex theatre, a couple of pubs and restaurants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
The flintstones land was torn down in the mid to late 90s.

I remember going there when I was a kid.

The area is now suburban hell, across the street from scandia, theres a movie theatre and a Triple Os there.
^thanx for the input guys. funny thing is, my daughter and i saw "The Dark Knight Rises" at the theatres there when we went out again in 2012 and didn't even know that Flintstones Land had even been at that spot!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 9:37 PM
HVAC guru

I remember going to Flintstones land when I was a kid.. There was also huge waterslide park next to it.

Another blast form the ast was Adventureland on hwy97 between Winfield and Oyama.. they had a massive slide and a bunch of dioramas based on fairytales that activated with a button.

It's too bad the tacky tourist stuff like that has all but disappeared. Those places were a big part of my childhood

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I remember going to Flintstones land when I was a kid.. There was also huge waterslide park next to it.

Another blast form the ast was Adventureland on hwy97 between Winfield and Oyama.. they had a massive slide and a bunch of dioramas based on fairytales that activated with a button.

It's too bad the tacky tourist stuff like that has all but disappeared. Those places were a big part of my childhood
My guess is a lot of the disappearances are due to the long term demographic changes happening in the country. Fewer kids means fewer family attractions, to the detriment of people who do have kids now, unfortunately.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:29 AM

The big reason why these great family attractions keep disappearing is because the land is worth more than the business on it. Especially to developers. You could a. Run a business that is just over broke or b. Sell to a developer who will in tern build some residential and or commercial and sell it off. Evidence of this is seeing what gets built on the land. Same thing happened to the watersides on the Westside. Those were awesome back in the day.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 9:51 PM

Quote:
The big reason why these great family attractions keep disappearing is because the land is worth more than the business on it. Especially to developers. You could a. Run a business that is just over broke or b. Sell to a developer who will in tern build some residential and or commercial and sell it off. Evidence of this is seeing what gets built on the land. Same thing happened to the watersides on the Westside. Those were awesome back in the day.
Moreover the tourist demographics to the Okanagan have changed drastically. Camping families used to be a big part of Okanagan tourism. Over the last 10 to 20 years wine and golf have become the key focus for tourism in the region. You never used to hear about Okanagan wine tours, now that is almost all you hear about when people make a trip to the valley.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:16 AM
be nice to the crackheads

All good points.

It's funny, growing up in Kelowna, I only went to Flintstones once. Same with the red waterslides (forget the name) nearby. I remember hitting up Old Mcdonald's Farm in Westbank a few times though.

For me and my friends, it was all about Scandia, Malibu and Wild n' Wet. I can't even begin to add up the hours I spent at those three places as a kid.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Moreover the tourist demographics to the Okanagan have changed drastically. Camping families used to be a big part of Okanagan tourism. Over the last 10 to 20 years wine and golf have become the key focus for tourism in the region. You never used to hear about Okanagan wine tours, now that is almost all you hear about when people make a trip to the valley.
^true this! i remember seeing a lot more motorhomes in BC in the 70's than i do now. and the Okanagan used to be all about going to the lake, but like you said, now it's more about golf and wine. and look at how many hotels, bed and breakfasts and condo rentals that are in Kelowna these days. with all that, who wants to camp?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 7:15 AM

Next phase of John Hindle Drive to connect to UBC Okanagan. What will be the next big announcement... Highway 33 Extension aka next phase of Central Okanagan Multi-Model Corridor perhaps?

This story is direct from the BC Government Newsroom:

KELOWNA - Today, the Government of Canada, the Province of B.C. and the City of Kelowna announced $11.6 million in joint funding for the final phase of the John Hindle Drive extension project, allowing another option for students, staff and visitors en route to UBC Okanagan campus and throughout the city.

Thanks to the partnership between these three levels of government, construction of a 1.6 kilometer extension of John Hindle Drive will be able to move ahead. The project will consist of a two-lane roadway connecting Highway 97 to Glenmore Road at the University of British Columbia Okanagan (UBCO) campus. It will also include the construction of a multi-use paved pathway for pedestrians and cyclists from Glenmore Road to the Hollywood Road roundabout at Highway 97 near the UBCO.

When complete, the extension of John Hindle Drive will improve traffic flow and travel times by creating alternate access to the UBCO campus, while diverting traffic from Highway 97, Glenmore Road, and Sexsmith Road. Overall, these improvements will increase safety and efficiency for area commuters, pedestrians and cyclists.

Quick Facts:

The Government of Canada will contribute up to $3.5 million through the Building Canada Fund - Major Infrastructure Component for this project. This funding is conditional on the project meeting applicable federal eligibility requirements with respect to the 2007 Building Canada Fund and the signing of a contribution agreement.
The Province of British Columbia is providing up to $3.5 million towards this project.
The City of Kelowna is investing $4.6 million towards the total cost of $11.6 million.
Phase one, which was completed earlier this year by the City of Kelowna, involved the extension of John Hindle Drive from Glenmore Road to the regional landfill site.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Next phase of John Hindle Drive to connect to UBC Okanagan. What will be the next big announcement... Highway 33 Extension aka next phase of Central Okanagan Multi-Model Corridor perhaps?

This story is direct from the BC Government Newsroom:

KELOWNA - Today, the Government of Canada, the Province of B.C. and the City of Kelowna announced $11.6 million in joint funding for the final phase of the John Hindle Drive extension project, allowing another option for students, staff and visitors en route to UBC Okanagan campus and throughout the city.

Thanks to the partnership between these three levels of government, construction of a 1.6 kilometer extension of John Hindle Drive will be able to move ahead. The project will consist of a two-lane roadway connecting Highway 97 to Glenmore Road at the University of British Columbia Okanagan (UBCO) campus. It will also include the construction of a multi-use paved pathway for pedestrians and cyclists from Glenmore Road to the Hollywood Road roundabout at Highway 97 near the UBCO.

When complete, the extension of John Hindle Drive will improve traffic flow and travel times by creating alternate access to the UBCO campus, while diverting traffic from Highway 97, Glenmore Road, and Sexsmith Road. Overall, these improvements will increase safety and efficiency for area commuters, pedestrians and cyclists.

Quick Facts:

The Government of Canada will contribute up to $3.5 million through the Building Canada Fund - Major Infrastructure Component for this project. This funding is conditional on the project meeting applicable federal eligibility requirements with respect to the 2007 Building Canada Fund and the signing of a contribution agreement.
The Province of British Columbia is providing up to $3.5 million towards this project.
The City of Kelowna is investing $4.6 million towards the total cost of $11.6 million.
Phase one, which was completed earlier this year by the City of Kelowna, involved the extension of John Hindle Drive from Glenmore Road to the regional landfill site.
About time!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 5:45 AM

I definitely think it helps having some political clout in the area. The provincial leader right across the lake with her government just happen to announce this funding project with the Kelowna Mayor and council... I wonder if it was the liberals way of putting support behind Grey and who he supported as his replacement during the civic election. I for one am glad Basran in instead of Shepherd. He'll carry Grey's torch. The only thing Shepherd brought in during her previous reign was the most expensive recreational facility per capita in Canada. H2O, although a great facility, is way too much debt IMO.

Bring on the next big project!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I definitely think it helps having some political clout in the area. The provincial leader right across the lake with her government just happen to announce this funding project with the Kelowna Mayor and council... I wonder if it was the liberals way of putting support behind Grey and who he supported as his replacement during the civic election. I for one am glad Basran in instead of Shepherd. He'll carry Grey's torch. The only thing Shepherd brought in during her previous reign was the most expensive recreational facility per capita in Canada. H2O, although a great facility, is way too much debt IMO.

Bring on the next big project!
No longer living in Kelowna I didn't follow the election too much, but I too am happy with what I have heard about Basran. I didn't dislike Shepherd, but it seems like Basran is more focused on the necessary changes that Kelowna needs. I am sure both understood that redeveloping the core was crucial, but it seems to me that Basran based his campaign entirely on that concept. Again, I could be wrong, I really only read the post-election coverage.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 5:35 AM

Kelowna South Perimeter Road from Gordon to Stewart

Care of Castanet:

Road network up for discussion

by Wayne Moore | Story: 127399 - Nov 22, 2014 / 5:46 pm

Residents are invited to drop by an open house at the Capital News Centre on Wednesday, Nov. 26 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. to learn more about the possible reprioritization of road network plans in the Okanagan Mission area.

“The City has received a developer proposal to accelerate the construction of South Perimeter Road from Gordon Drive to Stewart Road West approximately 10 years ahead of schedule,” says director of business ventures, John Vos.

“Council has asked staff to engage the community to hear firsthand if this is acceptable.”

This additional access to the Okanagan Mission could be in place as early as 2015 to facilitate the establishment of the Pond’s commercial village centre linking the communities of Crawford and the Ponds.

“The schedule could bump other projects for an additional three to six years, affecting the more notable road improvements on Casorso Road from Benvoulin to Bedford and Lakeshore Road from DeHart to Old Meadows. The exception of this of course is the Lakeshore Road adjacent to Anne McClymont Elementary School, which is already approved and is scheduled for 2015 pending land acquisitions,” adds Vos.

Display panels will also be available online at kelowna.ca/city projects under South Perimeter Road and comments can be directed to spr@kelowna.ca until Dec. 7, 2014, or dropped off at City Hall at 1435 Water St.

The South Perimeter Road has been in the Official Community Plan and 20 Year Financial Strategy as part of the Southwest Okanagan Mission Sector Plan since 1995 and is currently scheduled for construction in approximately 10 years.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 5:41 AM

It does not show it in the OCP however I wonder if perhaps they might one day extend this planed road west to connect directly to Chute Lake Road. The far end of this road just happens to be called S. Perimeter Way.... coincidence? I looked at the terrain version of Google Maps and it elevations don't change much. I'm no engineer but it seems like it would be relatively simple.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 7:48 AM

Quote:
It does not show it in the OCP however I wonder if perhaps they might one day extend this planed road west to connect directly to Chute Lake Road. The far end of this road just happens to be called S. Perimeter Way.... coincidence? I looked at the terrain version of Google Maps and it elevations don't change much. I'm no engineer but it seems like it would be relatively simple.
Yes, you are correct in your deduction. That continuation of the S. Perimeter Way would be part of the Thomson Flats ASP, which is going forward after receiving authorization from Council in March. The reason it does not appear in the OCP is because it was not anticipated for that area to be developed before 2030 when the OCP was made.

See: http://infotel.ca/newsitem/1400-home...mission/it8314

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtee View Post
Yes, you are correct in your deduction. That continuation of the S. Perimeter Way would be part of the Thomson Flats ASP, which is going forward after receiving authorization from Council in March. The reason it does not appear in the OCP is because it was not anticipated for that area to be developed before 2030 when the OCP was made.

See: http://infotel.ca/newsitem/1400-home...mission/it8314
That makes sense re: OCP. Thanks for the link.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 3:54 PM

Daily Courier Article. I have sympathy for the business owners however I think a reason construction didn't last beyond 5 or on weekends was in part because of the residential community that is passes through. I know these jobs take a lot of time especially since they upgrade all the utilities during construction.

Businesses hope to recover as Lakeshore Road finally reopens

Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 9:33 pm

The re-opening of the Lakeshore Road bridge on Sunday after a six-month closure should have been a cause for celebration for Grace Sue.
But the Kelowna businesswoman, owner of Nari Sushi, says she’s worried her restaurant’s trade might not rebound from what she describes as a significant downturn during the road’s long closure.
“I’m very nervous,” Sue said, just a couple hours after traffic started moving once again on the Lakeshore Road bridge over Mission Creek.
“I think a lot of my customers started going to other restaurants, and I don’t know if they’ll come back or not,” said Sue, whose restaurant has been located just south of the Mission Creek bridge for nine years.
The loss in revenue was so considerable Sue had to re-mortgage her house to keep the business going, and she still had to shut the restaurant for almost a month in September.
“The road was so dug up, it was impossible for anybody to get here,” she said.
Just north of the sushi restaurant, the Creekside pub was about one-third filled with patrons on Sunday afternoon.
Manager Daniel Perju said the pub’s business was down about 35 per cent during the bridge reconstruction. Staffing levels were also reduced because of the drop-off in business.
“We are very happy to see the bridge open again,” Perju said. “We’ve even got a turning lane into our business now, which wasn’t there before, and there are sidewalks so it’s much nicer for pedestrians.”
The road was re-opened to traffic around noon without fanfare.
The $11-million project included a new and higher bridge deck, sidewalks, decorative lighting and ornamental railings.
Among those out for a stroll to inspect the new bridge was Curtis McEwan.
“It’s nice enough, but it’s a little hard to understand how it could have taken so long to build,” he said.
That was a sentiment shared by sushi restaurant owner Sue, who said she was frustrated by what seemed to her to the slow pace of construction.
“They only worked till four or five, and they never worked weekends,” she said. “I know the city would say that’s because they didn’t want to pay overtime, but I still had to pay my staff, my suppliers, my hydro, everything.
“I really think they could have done this quicker.”

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Proposed 26-storey hotel in limbo

Plans for a 26-storey hotel and office building in the Manhattan Point area of downtown Kelowna have been withdrawn by the developer.
City planning staff were poised to recommend approval for the major project and it had been expected a rezoning request would soon be considered by council.
However, Argus Properties has now withdrawn the application in a move that surprised city officials who were working on the file for months.
“We're a bit puzzled by this,” Ryan Smith, the city's urban planning manager, said Tuesday.
“The report to council was ready to go and we were going to recommend support for the rezoning, subject to a few conditions,” Smith said. “It's an uncommon point for a development to come off line.”
But company officials say they expect the project will still go ahead if some outstanding issues with the city can be resolved. One apparently contentious point is how much the company is being asked to pay for road improvements in the area.
“We've got a few off-site servicing issues that we're still working through,” said Darren Schlamp, Argus' development manager. “We're pretty positive these issues can be resolved.
“It's an exciting project, a great building, and we definitely believe it would be a win for the community,” Schlamp said.
Mayor Colin Basran made specific reference to the project during his inaugural address on Monday night at the Rotary Centre for the Arts. He described the proposed hotel as one of the projects that would help spark a “major transformation” in the north end industrial area.
The site for the proposed hotel, at the corner of Manhattan Drive and Sunset Drive, is currently zoned industrial. The company's plan was for a 26 storey building, made up of 14 floors dedicated to an “internationally-branded hotel”, eight storeys of office space, and four storeys of year-round residential suites that could also be rented out on a short-term basis.
The company's website still lists detailed plans for the project, including components such as conference space, rooftop pool, and restaurant.
Some residents of the north end had raised concerns about the project's potential impact on the community, but the Kelowna Downtown Knox Mountain Neighbourhood Association had yet to take a formal position on the application.
“Considering the time and money spent on this proposal, it's curious it would be pulled now,” association president Lisa Masini said. “But our wish would be that if it is revived, there'll be an opportunity for the public to provide meaningful feedback.”
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/ne...1cd015e50.html

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtee View Post
Oh bummer.

Has anyone heard of any updates on the monaco? Is thats till happening?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 1:24 PM

Bummer is right. I wonder if the developer has concerns regarding the viability of this project with the other hotel being built downtown proper.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia