HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 5:10 AM

Work nearly set to begin on new Kelowna hotel.

Quote:
Downtown Kelowna hotel set to get green light from city

Construction of Kelowna’s long-awaited new downtown hotel will begin in early 2016, city councillors were assured Thursday.

Municipal officials are poised to green-light final approvals for the 24-storey, $65-million hotel at the base of Queensway overlooking Okanagan Lake.
“We anticipate issuing a building permit in January,” Doug Gilchrist, a city director, told council during 2016 budget deliberations.

The news was relayed during a discussion among councillors about the wisdom of spending $350,000 on plans for a revamp of Kerry Park, the municipal land that separates the hotel development site from the water.
Did it make sense to authorize the spending, some councillors wondered, without knowing exactly when work would start on the new hotel?

Coun. Mohini Singh noted that “not a lot has been happening” on the site since council endorsed the project in the summer of 2014, apart from some test drilling earlier this fall to establish the building conditions.

Coun. Charlie Hodge wondered if any planning work for the revamp of Kerry Park might have to be revised once work on the hotel moves forward. But council heard actual work on the park upgrade won’t happen until 2017, and that what’s being approved now relates mainly to site-servicing details.

Westcorp, the builder of the new hotel, is giving the city $350,000 toward the upgrade of Kerry Park, a project that currently has an estimated budget of $4 million.

Plans are for the area around Kerry Park, stretching from Bernard Avenue over to Stuart Park, to get a pedestrian-friendly facelift in keeping with other waterfront improvements.

“It’s vitally important that we get this right,” said Coun. Luke Stack, endorsing, along with the rest of council, the preliminary design work for the improvements to Kerry Park.

The lack of apparent progress on the hotel had some people wondering if the project would follow others, such as a 26-storey residence on Bernard Avenue once proposed by the Aqulini group of Vancouver, that were approved but never built.

A spokeswoman for Westcorp said in an email later Thursday that detailed design work for the hotel has now concluded. But Gail Temple said a precise start date for construction is not yet known pending results of the test pile work done this fall.

“We have also been working on a marketing and branding exercise for the hotel,” Temple said. “It is our intention to reveal the new hotel’s name at its goundbreaking.”

The company has estimated construction would take about 22 months once work begins. All 214 rooms in the elliptical tower will have a water view, and the project also includes a convention centre, restaurant and spa.
via Kelowna Daily Courier

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 7:58 AM

Happy to hear, out of all the Kelowna proposals this is probably my favorite. Good thing it also seems to be the most likely to go ahead.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 8:03 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Very good news indeed. I really like this one.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Very good news indeed. I really like this one.
Me too. I think its an amazing and unique project that will revitalize this section of the downtown area. It is unlike anything in the Kelowna skyline. I really like what the city and its citizens are getting from this with redeveloped and expanded park space, closing of Mill Street, removal of surface parking. All very good.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2015, 4:19 AM

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 6:26 PM
HVAC guru

Spent the day in Kelowna yesterday, impressive development in & around the lakeshore. Lots of people out & about. Was impressed to see Bernard mostly occupied and active, still got to do something about the old Woolworths black hole.. Same as in Vernon.

In Vernon the old Bank of Montreal redevelopment is finally taking shape, will be nice to see that corner active again. Not nearly as much going on as there was a few years ago though

Was hoping to look at some properties in the north BX while we're here but there really isn't much on the market at the moment. My local realtor friend has told me the inventory levels are really low at the moment

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 5:17 AM

I too spent a couple days in the Kelowna area. That downtown rink is amazing at drawing families down there. Bernard is so much more walkable now. Ellis is under another construction blitz. New Yacht Club and expanded Stewart Park. Redeveloped Queens Ave Bus Exchange. So much has changed since I moved away a few years back. I'm looking forward to further downtown enhancements with Mill Street closing for redevelopment as part of the hotel project, new RCMP detachment etc. Now if they can just get Lawrence and Leon redevelopment kick started. Maybe with removal of the one-way couplet would be a good start and expanding the Bernard enhancements would be a good (but expensive) move...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 9:57 PM
mAd cRaZy CoDeR

The Capri Redevelopment is in the news again.

Castanet.net Article: http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna...-vs-open-space

Development Information Panels: http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...g%20Panels.pdf

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 5:14 AM

Enthusiastic support for the Capri plan (as a whole, not each building)...now lets see how much of it actually gets built:

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news...-1-.htm#157028

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 6:00 AM

Those are exciting plans. That site needs some serious redevelopment. Is/did anyone fill the void left by interior health from all that office space? I think Capri Insurance was IH predecessor. To be clear, I mean the space above the Capri Insurance Branch.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 2:47 PM

post #1060, @Emtee....thanx!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 10:29 PM

Capri Mall redevelopment

Write up and images from City Council minutes.

https://kelownapublishing.escribemee...ocumentId=1093

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 10:33 PM

Library Parkade Expansion

Finally pouring the first suspended slab at the Library Parkade Expansion today. Small interview with the concrete placer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFp4...layer_embedded

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 8:57 AM

does anyone know the exact address of the hotel so I can take some progress update shots for u guys.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 2:35 AM

city bought the golf club for airport expansion.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2486508/ci...ort-expansion/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtee View Post
http://thegracekelowna.com

New website for the Grace tower (Lucaya).
There's been a bunch of activity at the Grace site...new fencing, patching concrete, Ledcor signage, and I see the website is being updated...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Delay in downtown hotel

Start of construction for a new downtown hotel is being delayed six to eight months.

The decision was announced Tuesday by Westcorp, the company building the proposed 26-storey hotel on the former Willow Inn site.

The delay comes after Westcorp said some elements of the design have not yet been finalized and won't be ready in time for a March construction start.

"With the delay in the finalization of our construction drawings, the lead-in time associated with the demolition of the Water Street buildings, and typical risks associated with going into the ground, we have decided that the window for construction of our foundation during low water table levels has now become too tight to begin construction in March," said stakeholder management VP Gail Temple.

"As a result, we will wait until after the summer when the water table recedes to begin construction."

With a two-year build, Temple said it is now expected the hotel will open in late 2018 or early 2019.

"Despite the delay, Temple said site preparation will begin in the coming months.

That includes seeking a demolition permit to remove the existing Water Street buildings.

"We expect to have them removed prior to May and, after demolition is complete, the east side of the site will be leveled so that it can be used for temporary pay parking throughout the busy summer months."

Metro Church will be vacating the building March 1. They will transition into a temporary location for about 18 months with a clear plan to move into a long-term, permanent location sometime in 2017.

Temple said Westcorp is assisting with that transition.

"While the delay of our construction start date is unfortunate, it is our hope that it may allow us to better coordinate our construction with the city’s reconstruction of Kerry Park.

"We remain excited and committed to this fantastic project for our downtown and waterfront and look forward to getting underway."

The city gave final approval to the downtown hotel project in June of 2014.

As part of the development, Westcorp will pay the city more than $1.9 million for a portion of Mill Street to accommodate construction.

Mayor Colin Basran recently said he believes the development of the hotel will be the tipping point for our downtown. He believes it can become the heart of the community.
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna...downtown-hotel

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:49 PM

It appears the Paramount Theatre on Bernard is being redeveloped and changed into a "Craft" beer bar

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 2:15 AM

I liked having the theatre there, brought a little texture / mixture to the area. Having every movie screen in a big box multiplex is not actually a good thing.

Either way, the sign must remain. That is a landmark and i really hope it is not removed / altered.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 3:00 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^ I agree. Call it the Paramount Brewery or something similar.

According to the KelownaNow website, Kelowna was the fastest growing metro per capita from July 2014 to July 2015.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia