HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 10:27 PM

Fincore did acquire many properties in the area, which is the interesting part of the whole situation. They still own a large chuck of land which I'm assuming could stop anyone else developing the area. I recall many people wanting the UTRCA portion of land to have a clause that allowed their portion of land to revert back to them if not developed in x amount of time. Probably good land was never sold, since Fincore ultimately seems destined to sell their land at some point..

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 4:10 PM
Sanity merchant

Some photo updates. Sad to see this go

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 12:48 AM
The Vomit Bag.

cool shots of an almost down building. Looks like the South Bronx circa 1979.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 3:29 AM

Great pics.

I spent a week in that place as a 13 year old with a sports injury. It has been my first and only significant hospital stay (knock on wood). I was in a 4 bed ward. The man across from me was a very old Englishman. He had no eyes. He had lost them in a sandstorm in the Sahara.

When a place like that comes down, one can only think of how many of the City's population were born there, were healed there, and ended their life there. I have many friends and family who fall into each of those categories.

Of course the place must come down, but if there ever was a place that would have ghosts....

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Great pics.

I spent a week in that place as a 13 year old with a sports injury. It has been my first and only significant hospital stay (knock on wood). I was in a 4 bed ward. The man across from me was a very old Englishman. He had no eyes. He had lost them in a sandstorm in the Sahara.

When a place like that comes down, one can only think of how many of the City's population were born there, were healed there, and ended their life there. I have many friends and family who fall into each of those categories.

Of course the place must come down, but if there ever was a place that would have ghosts....
Ya, I remember visiting my father there.

So what exactly is going on with this project and others SOHO?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 1:06 PM

Thanks for the great pictures and thank you, Snark, for a beautiful post. It would be wrong not to feel for a building through which so many lives have passed, even if it is time for it to make way for something else.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 12:12 AM

Site is now a grassland. Properties across the street are boarded up due to heritage designations. Homes across the street are rundown awaiting the eventual bulldozer. The City put out a request for design proposals awhile ago. Given other developers are either building now downtown or actively planning too. What is the likely timeline to see any activity on the redevelopment of these lands? We also have the McCormick lands Dundas East to compete for the possible tenants of any large building boom.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 12:09 AM

Based on this LFP article the City has chosen a preferred developer for the hospital lands.

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/09/25/ci...unds-in-london

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 9:00 PM

As the calendar turns to 2017 this look back at the SOHO Roadmap report from 2011 makes interesting reading.

https://www.london.ca/business/Resou..._Reportnew.pdf

Still no word from the City on who the preferred developer partner is. Given the recent number of projects proposed downtown does the SOHO plans get any boost or go dormant for a decade?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
As the calendar turns to 2017 this look back at the SOHO Roadmap report from 2011 makes interesting reading.

https://www.london.ca/business/Resou..._Reportnew.pdf

Still no word from the City on who the preferred developer partner is. Given the recent number of projects proposed downtown does the SOHO plans get any boost or go dormant for a decade?
Good question. Maybe dormant like the Fincore project.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 5:47 PM
Sanity merchant

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/05/30/so...dential-towers

London has cleared the way to redevelop some of the most coveted land in the city, part of the massive site occupied for more than a century by hospitals at the gateway to the downtown.

City council Tuesday approved a $2-million agreement with Medallion Corp., which has built rental high-rises in the east end just off the downtown, to acquire and develop one-quarter of the South Street lands cleared by demolition of buildings on the sprawling former Victoria Hospital site overlooking the Thames River.

City hall had sought expressions of interest from companies for first-phase development of the lands near the SoHo neighbourhood, which at the time was considered a rare opportunity to build on one of the choice locations in London.

In a news release late Tuesday, the city said the deal with Toronto-based Medallion "represents a major project contributing towards council's strategic plan its goals to build a sustainable city and conserve London's heritage assets."

Mayor Matt Brown described the agreement as "the opportunity of a century for a neighbourhood in the heart of our city."

Medallion's proposal calls for 18- and 24-storey residential towers, their base facing both South Street and a future promenade along the river. The historic Colborne Building on the site will, under a deal requirement, be reused for residential and commercial purposes.

The sale price for the land is $2 million.

For more on the story, return to lfpress.com Wednesday.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 7:15 PM

I can really see this being a nice area if all this does really happen. The heritage at ground level maybe with some restaurant's, add some office space in there and all these apartment's can really make this a great area.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 7:42 PM

More detailed information on the old Victoria Hospital lands from the CBC London looks good so far. I posted this earlier in the projects & construction page my mistake.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london...ndon-1.4139104

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 3:53 PM

This would be right beside one of the new BRT stops. Seems like exactly the sort of development the city wants to spring up along the new RT corridors.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 10:48 PM

Good start. 18s and 24s towers are a little short. But given there is going to be other projects on the site hopefully a couple of those towers will be much taller.

A little surprised Medallion was the first developer to sign on. They already have a track record in London which likely helped them make the decision.

Hopefully they start in as soon they get the building permits approved.

Wonder who the next developers to sign-up will be? Locals like Tricar, Auburn, York, Old Oak? Or will will see some of the GTA developers come down the 401?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/05/30/so...dential-towers

London has cleared the way to redevelop some of the most coveted land in the city, part of the massive site occupied for more than a century by hospitals at the gateway to the downtown.

City council Tuesday approved a $2-million agreement with Medallion Corp., which has built rental high-rises in the east end just off the downtown, to acquire and develop one-quarter of the South Street lands cleared by demolition of buildings on the sprawling former Victoria Hospital site overlooking the Thames River.

City hall had sought expressions of interest from companies for first-phase development of the lands near the SoHo neighbourhood, which at the time was considered a rare opportunity to build on one of the choice locations in London.

In a news release late Tuesday, the city said the deal with Toronto-based Medallion "represents a major project contributing towards council's strategic plan its goals to build a sustainable city and conserve London's heritage assets."

Mayor Matt Brown described the agreement as "the opportunity of a century for a neighbourhood in the heart of our city."

Medallion's proposal calls for 18- and 24-storey residential towers, their base facing both South Street and a future promenade along the river. The historic Colborne Building on the site will, under a deal requirement, be reused for residential and commercial purposes.

The sale price for the land is $2 million.

For more on the story, return to lfpress.com Wednesday.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 10:42 AM

Fincore sold their property here for $5M.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/06/04/de...s-centre-dream

Local SOHO group doesn't like the height of the Medallion Corp plans. This site is perfect for even taller buildings. Plus 30s hopefully will be built as density is key to creating a community.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:38 PM

Matt Brown mentioned two towers with 600 units between the two of them at his "state-of-the-city" address. Does anyone have any info or graphics on this? Or is he just simply mentioning what has already been brought up earlier?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 6:40 PM

I don't think its Medallion's project. 600 units between 2 buildings is a lot. These building's I would assume to be a lot taller then Medallion's project. It sounds like it matches the wellness center proposal. Maybe its back on the table since the land was bought up by an investor. Proposal is mentioned in this article here.

http://www.lfpress.com/2018/01/16/br...cipal-election

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserLDN View Post
I don't think its Medallion's project. 600 units between 2 buildings is a lot. These building's I would assume to be a lot taller then Medallion's project. It sounds like it matches the wellness center proposal. Maybe its back on the table since the land was bought up by an investor. Proposal is mentioned in this article here.

http://www.lfpress.com/2018/01/16/br...cipal-election
No I believe it is Medallion's project, they have been quoted before saying it is 600 units.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
No I believe it is Medallion's project, they have been quoted before saying it is 600 units.

Sorry I just watched the full video and I guess it is medallion. I guess there will be a lot of units on the site over the next few years with more proposals to happen.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates