HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 10:22 PM

West 5 by Sifton

I was driving out Oxford West today and saw a sign for West 5, a master planned community by Sifton. Anyone know much about this?

www.west5.ca

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 2:50 AM

Palm trees? It's no secret that developers play a deception game with their "renderings" of their proposed development, but clearly they aren't even trying any more.

My guess is that what is being rendered now as something exotic out of Miami or Vegas will actually get built as this:

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 4:15 AM
The Vomit Bag.

It was formerly called Riverbend. I have little faith it will resemble the photos posted in the first post, which look straight outta Miami Beach. Much more likely is that posted by Snark...or worse.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 11:55 AM

The proposed Green Technology that will be used through the entire site looks interesting.

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/06/27/gr...in-west-london

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGUY2891 View Post
The proposed Green Technology that will be used through the entire site looks interesting.
I attended the FCM's Sustainable Communities Conference a few weeks back at the convention centre (BTW: a great 3 day national-level event), and this development was being bandied about as a "sustainable" community. I don't think that is truly the case here, but there are good things being incorporated with this and it's definitely a positive development.

My comments surrounding the renderings still stand however. I'll believe that part when I see it.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 11:55 PM

I hope this is what actually gets built. I see some mixed-use developments in the renderings, something London's suburban areas could use.

I predict there will be protests from the Byron community. Over a decade ago when the area along Oxford near Westdel Bourne was first identified in the Official Plan as commercial, there was a lot of complaining from Byron residents about added commercial development nearby (the same people who tried to stop Tim Hortons from coming to the area in 2001). Even though it would mean far less of a drive than going to Southdale and Wonderland.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 3:45 PM

There's nothing green about a new development on what was once bush and farmland where every resident will use his or her car every day.

You can use all the fancy new technology you want. It doesn't change the fact that this is a greenfield development that will guarantee car-dependency of people who live or work there.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 6:11 PM

No doubt this vision will not end up as they fully expect but given the location I bet they get pretty close. More density in the area is a great thing and at least on paper they are trying to create a nice community space that is not car dependent which again is great.

I would imagine we will start to see construction starting this spring on at least part of the space??

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
No doubt this vision will not end up as they fully expect but given the location I bet they get pretty close. More density in the area is a great thing and at least on paper they are trying to create a nice community space that is not car dependent which again is great.

I would imagine we will start to see construction starting this spring on at least part of the space??
This development will be completed and utterly car-dependent. There will be little employment here or anywhere near here. Nobody will be walking down Shore Road since there will be nothing within walking distance to get to.

It's not accurate to say "[m]ore density in the area." This is more sprawl.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
This development will be completed and utterly car-dependent. There will be little employment here or anywhere near here. Nobody will be walking down Shore Road since there will be nothing within walking distance to get to.

It's not accurate to say "[m]ore density in the area." This is more sprawl.
Not sure I completely agree,how will this not add more density to the area? Given that currently it is mostly single family detached homes (with some townhouses mixed in) adding mid-rise and high-rise apartments into the area will add a lot more density compared to the 30 houses the same space may occupy?
We might be talking a few hundred jobs, certainly not thousands I agree but it is still something. And overall is still a step in a better direction compared to just building 50 more houses in that area as they could easily do instead.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Not sure I completely agree,how will this not add more density to the area? Given that currently it is mostly single family detached homes (with some townhouses mixed in) adding mid-rise and high-rise apartments into the area will add a lot more density compared to the 30 houses the same space may occupy?
We might be talking a few hundred jobs, certainly not thousands I agree but it is still something. And overall is still a step in a better direction compared to just building 50 more houses in that area as they could easily do instead.
The big question I have is, are these jobs going to be entirely new jobs, or just jobs moved over from some other retail complex, like the ones that will be created in the power centre that is to be built just south of the 401?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
The big question I have is, are these jobs going to be entirely new jobs, or just jobs moved over from some other retail complex, like the ones that will be created in the power centre that is to be built just south of the 401?
Great question, hopefully Sifton actually tries to implement this as close to the plan as possible, which would bring more unique stores as well as restaurants not just chains.

Of course at the end of the day this might just end up another strip plaza which would be not be good.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 12:00 AM
Downtown

Just what London needs, another community in the west

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
It very well could have an effect on Byron and Oakridge.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 1:59 PM

^^^ no question it will, that is why I am hoping their plan is not just another rehashed ugly commercial strip. Do something unique that the community surrounding can and wants to support.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 3:13 PM

Quote:
^^^ no question it will, that is why I am hoping their plan is not just another rehashed ugly commercial strip. Do something unique that the community surrounding can and wants to support.
The surrounding community embraces auto-centric culture. If it's built in consultation with that community, I will have very low expectations.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
The surrounding community embraces auto-centric culture. If it's built in consultation with that community, I will have very low expectations.
True but is that because they have no choice? I actually live in the area so for me I would love to see a well thought out development that would allow people to not use their cars and be more active in the community.

I also have low expectations to be honest with you.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:54 PM

Construction has begun on the Sifton head office, seems to be moving along pretty quickly as it is well above ground.

Townhouses are supposed to be completed by 2016 not sure when in 2016 but as of now it does not look like any work has started on that aspect.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 3:16 AM

I still can't figure out where the hell this is.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I still can't figure out where the hell this is.
Drive west on Commissioners until it ends (at Oxford), turn left and you will see it immediately as the Sifton office is close to the road (Oxford)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates