HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 9:14 PM

Birds Hitting Skyscraper Windows

How can skyscraper windows be made more bird safe? I read somewhere that up to 200 birds can collide with a single skyscraper in one year. How can windows be made more bird-friendly without them being fritted or having stickers and stuff? I read that the Chicago Spire building is going to have ornithologically-sensitive glass to protect migratory birds. What exactly does that mean? Is there something that can be put in the glass that we can't see but birds can? Now you are probably thinking, "why not just have fewer windows?" Well, the One Bryant Park skyscraper in NYC is supposed to be one of the greenest in the world. It has a full glass facade and the glass is a special glass that lets light in but keeps heat out in order to minimize electricity use as much as possible. It seems like the glass is necessary. So how can a skyscraper be green and bird-friendly? I've seen some renderings of skyscrapers by eco-architect Ken Yeang that are basically supposed to "mesh" with nature in that they will be benign and will reuse everything. There are plants and trees all over the buildings. Wouldn't that increase the likelihood of bird collisions? Also, what about see-through glass? Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 9:31 PM
Chaos Machine

You bring up an interesting point about how birds may perceive garden atriums/green walls in buildings and perhaps be killed trying to fly into them that I had not really thought much about before. What do you mean about "see-through" glass? Do you just mean non-reflective? I would think that both see through glass and reflective glass would confuse birds about the same.

This article is pretty informative: http://www.planphilly.com/node/8416

Through a little reading, it seems that many birds collide with buildings at night while migrating, and that they are drawn in and confused by all the lights, so in Chicago, Toronto and some other cities, buildings are encouraged to dim/turn off their lights during peak bird migration times. This helps significantly reduce the number of killed/injured birds.

Fritting the glass is the most effective way to let the birds "see" the glass panes of the curtain wall. It is a tricky situation to deal with architecturally... If you are paying millions for a condo on a high floor in a glass highrise, it sucks to have your incredible view be diminished through a visible frit pattern. The pictures of the vast arrays of dead birds they have collected is quite sad. Hopefully the "lights-out" campaigns are successful in largely minimizing the number of birds killed, as I doubt we will see every building forced to have fritted glass anytime in the near future.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 4:38 AM

I know that Prospect Point Park Observation Tower in Niagra Falls did some recladding to make sure that it was "bird-proof" so to speak.
I think that they made the change around 2001 almost exclusively for the purpose of solving this problem.

(the photo is mine)

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/16042039.jpg

^ shows an upclose view of the glazing on the glass

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 7:57 AM
A before E

We could start building buildings to look like giant birds of prey?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture