HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 8:25 PM

ya but regina built a proper road for the global trans hub manitoba continues its bs as always and builds lights its like the plan to widden keneston costs more bloody money then saskatoons circle drive last year wtf

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 8:53 PM

MIT is slowly getting their shit together. Actually MIT is finally getting funding that will allow them to do the right things. CoW on the other hand, is a disaster...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
CoW on the other hand, is a disaster...
Good word. Disaster. Does anybody else take EB Bishop home during rush hour? It is so bad now, I come off the Pembina parclo and cars are lined up on Bishop past the interchange (which is nothing new)...however what is new is when you finally get through the lights on River, cars are often now backed up the entire distance from River to St. Marys. And it's not even winter yet! When icy conditions allow 5-6 vehicles to get through the St Mary lights each cycle. I can't imagine how bad it's going to be then.

Point is....the COW approved two huge new subdivisions on each end of Bishop and have done ZERO upgrades to allow for the major increase in traffic. Nobody can say they didn't see that one coming. Bishop in rush hour is now a solid glut of traffic from end to end and it's literally much faster to take neighboring residential streets to go from west to east. "Expressways" like Bishop are supposed to keep traffic flowing and keep cars OFF residential streets but the sad reality is that Bishop, which used to be the fastest way across town, is now one of the slowest and nobody in city council seems to give a shit...I have never heard one word from anyone there about how something needs to be done to upgrade that street. And it's only going to get worse. And Marion/Archibald is our priority right now?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Good word. Disaster. Does anybody else take EB Bishop home during rush hour? It is so bad now, I come off the Pembina parclo and cars are lined up on Bishop past the interchange (which is nothing new)...however what is new is when you finally get through the lights on River, cars are often now backed up the entire distance from River to St. Marys. And it's not even winter yet! When icy conditions allow 5-6 vehicles to get through the St Mary lights each cycle. I can't imagine how bad it's going to be then.

Point is....the COW approved two huge new subdivisions on each end of Bishop and have done ZERO upgrades to allow for the major increase in traffic. Nobody can say they didn't see that one coming. Bishop in rush hour is now a solid glut of traffic from end to end and it's literally much faster to take neighboring residential streets to go from west to east. "Expressways" like Bishop are supposed to keep traffic flowing and keep cars OFF residential streets but the sad reality is that Bishop, which used to be the fastest way across town, is now one of the slowest and nobody in city council seems to give a shit...I have never heard one word from anyone there about how something needs to be done to upgrade that street. And it's only going to get worse. And Marion/Archibald is our priority right now?
Wow, I use to think Saskatoon Circle Drive was an issue. On the worst days (first day of snow) it took an hour and a half in a city of less than 300,000 to get home from work. However, that appears to be nothing like you guys have. Interchanges are NOT a bad thing to spend money on from time to time eh?

For reference what is CoW?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 9:57 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

^City of Winnipeg

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 10:04 PM

Bishop has become ever more of a nightmare. I drive the full length both ways every weekday. I noticed exactly what you've said. It's lined up from Pembina all the way through to past St. Anne's. Then it's still a bit slow down there. Same thing going the other way in the morning. Just wait until winter.

I also noticed in the morning when I'm turning from SB Lag to WB Bishop, I know have to stop most days at the merge as there is traffic coming from NB Lag. I'm guessing from Sage Creek, Iles de Chenes, etc. Just keeps piling on.

I posted a while back, city councillor hopeful Glenn Churchill plans to get interchanges built at St. Anne's, Dakota and St. Mary's within 10 years of his election. At least someone is talking about it.

I've also noticed Lag has become busier at Marion/Dugald area. I often will turn off at Dawson and head to Panet to get home. Instead of waiting 10 light cycles to get through Dugald. I hope they put the interchange at Dugald instead of Marion. Ohhhh it would be glorious..

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Bishop has become ever more of a nightmare. I drive the full length both ways every weekday. I noticed exactly what you've said. It's lined up from Pembina all the way through to past St. Anne's. Then it's still a bit slow down there. Same thing going the other way in the morning. Just wait until winter.

I also noticed in the morning when I'm turning from SB Lag to WB Bishop, I know have to stop most days at the merge as there is traffic coming from NB Lag. I'm guessing from Sage Creek, Iles de Chenes, etc. Just keeps piling on.

I posted a while back, city councillor hopeful Glenn Churchill plans to get interchanges built at St. Anne's, Dakota and St. Mary's within 10 years of his election. At least someone is talking about it.

I've also noticed Lag has become busier at Marion/Dugald area. I often will turn off at Dawson and head to Panet to get home. Instead of waiting 10 light cycles to get through Dugald. I hope they put the interchange at Dugald instead of Marion. Ohhhh it would be glorious..
Look on the bright side. Congested roads are an opportunity for rapid transit.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I've been caught a few times coming north on a Saturday morning in the slow down on Lag, but it only seems to be in that area. Once you cross Dugald it speeds up, not sure why that one section slows down unless the lights are out of sync.

I have friends in Royalwood who say its faster to go Plessis and loop back along Dugald to go to Kildonan Place etc than go through that girdlock.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I've been caught a few times coming north on a Saturday morning in the slow down on Lag, but it only seems to be in that area. Once you cross Dugald it speeds up, not sure why that one section slows down unless the lights are out of sync.

I have friends in Royalwood who say its faster to go Plessis and loop back along Dugald to go to Kildonan Place etc than go through that girdlock.
It sure is. I drive the whole way around the Perimeter rather than using Lag from the Perimeter to get into Transcona on my way home. Lag has major bottlenecks at Fermor and Dugald. The only advantage to using Lag in my case is the possibility of getting stuck by a train at Ravenhurst. It's a daily gamble.

Just my opinion, but I think the bottleneck at Dugald is because of the combination of traffic coming north on Lag and traffic joining from Marion. It dissipates a bit because a fair number of people still use Dugald, even without the connection at Plessis.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 11:22 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
the COW approved two huge new subdivisions on each end of Bishop and have done ZERO upgrades to allow for the major increase in traffic. Nobody can say they didn't see that one coming. Bishop in rush hour is now a solid glut of traffic from end to end and it's literally much faster to take neighboring residential streets to go from west to east. "Expressways" like Bishop are supposed to keep traffic flowing and keep cars OFF residential streets but the sad reality is that Bishop, which used to be the fastest way across town, is now one of the slowest and nobody in city council seems to give a shit...I have never heard one word from anyone there about how something needs to be done to upgrade that street. And it's only going to get worse. And Marion/Archibald is our priority right now?
But... If they put something like the need to upgrade expressways in the cost/benefit analysis of these subdivisions they would realize that all of these subdivisions don't actually pay for themselves like some councillors seem to think.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
But... If they put something like the need to upgrade expressways in the cost/benefit analysis of these subdivisions they would realize that all of these subdivisions don't actually pay for themselves like some councillors seem to think.
Well, this isn't entirely true. Everybody has known for some time that these subdivisions don't pay for themselves. In the case of Bishop Grandin, the biggest problem is the provincial government. Not only did they not want to assume the costs associated with a proper corridor upgrade when developing Waverley West, they spiked any conversation relating to suburban development fees lest they upset their clientele - Ladco and the rest of the developers throughout.

Now, the local roads budget has spiraled completely out of control and that's the city's problem. Compound that with an increase in the PST that was supposed to directly into infrastructure but has gone anywhere but and I think it's pretty clear why Bishop is the way it is right now...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
^City of Winnipeg
Aww duh, that totally makes sense. Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 2:02 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Well, this isn't entirely true. Everybody has known for some time that these subdivisions don't pay for themselves.
Everyone? Really?

Quote:
Making a statement that growth does not pay for itself is 100 percent wrong. Repeatedly we go through this exercise of doing the cost benefit analysis; not only does new development pay for itself but it’s also paying for the sins of the past.
Councillor Justin Swandel seems to think that it does... That's from the February council meeting hansard.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Everyone? Really?

Councillor Justin Swandel seems to think that it does... That's from the February council meeting hansard.
Politicians be politicking.

Councillors are constantly going on the record like this because they know it's an opportunity to make a statement. I've been through numerous meetings where I'm about the only person there and one of the councilors is making a stump speech to nobody.

Given where Swandel is about to become employed, I'm hardly surprised by his position, but I do question whether he actually believes it...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:39 PM

Anybody know the construction timeline for that McGillivary/101 diamond? It was announced earlier this year and sounded like it was a go...does it start in 2015?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:02 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Anybody know the construction timeline for that McGillivary/101 diamond? It was announced earlier this year and sounded like it was a go...does it start in 2015?
Right now all major MIT projects will evolve after the 59/101N interchange project is tendered.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 11:16 PM

i can see 101 59 being postponed due to election next year for some reason

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 12:13 AM

Construction starting in spring.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 1:22 PM
BANNED

I was talking with a construction buddy from out of town and we pondered something that winnipegers would probably cry about. But he said " why not put toll booths on the perimeter hwy." I was wtf at first. But listen to his idea.

First the city / province takes the loan out to completely redo and finish the entire perimeter hwy. I mean everything. Widen where needed to 3 lanes or more. Over and underpasses. Limited access. Raised speeds. Basically turning it into a real free way.

Now once it's done you install the booths. Everyone would be forced through it just like the Coq in bc. And when it's paid for remove the booths. The Coq did the exact same thing and they removed the booths 2 years ago. After hearing that. IMO great idea as it would get built fast and we would improve the construction trade as we would need out of province workers and companies to do it. No tax payer money. And in the end maybe some of those companies would invest in Manitoba even. But we would have one of the best routes for trucking , moving cars etc in Canada. That would be a huge plus to trade IMO.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I was talking with a construction buddy from out of town and we pondered something that winnipegers would probably cry about. But he said " why not put toll booths on the perimeter hwy." I was wtf at first. But listen to his idea.

First the city / province takes the loan out to completely redo and finish the entire perimeter hwy. I mean everything. Widen where needed to 3 lanes or more. Over and underpasses. Limited access. Raised speeds. Basically turning it into a real free way.

Now once it's done you install the booths. Everyone would be forced through it just like the Coq in bc. And when it's paid for remove the booths. The Coq did the exact same thing and they removed the booths 2 years ago. After hearing that. IMO great idea as it would get built fast and we would improve the construction trade as we would need out of province workers and companies to do it. No tax payer money. And in the end maybe some of those companies would invest in Manitoba even. But we would have one of the best routes for trucking , moving cars etc in Canada. That would be a huge plus to trade IMO.
Not the craziest idea, but like you said, they'd have to actually make the Perimeter into a freeway worth paying a toll to use. How long would that take?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan