HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

90 George in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
While we can probably live with 90 George Street, it sets a bad precedent for the Market's southern boundary. Really, who wants to be sipping a cocktail at a patio with apartments towering high above you? All one has to do is visit practically any European city to see how to make a city liveable, vibrant, and grand all at the same time. Ottawa has a long way to go to achieve any of these goals, and if anyone thinks building high-rise towers willy-nilly is a way to a better city, they're sadly mistaken.
I have done all of those, and I say that we need more skyscrapers, not less. Have you walked in this area, near 90 George? I do every morning. I can see that this building should be the first of many ones on Rideau St.

I'd rather be in La Defense sector in Paris, then some sinous crowed space in the core. Maybe that's why I don't like Québec City, no coherence. While the architecture is great and intense, it's not well designed for either pedestrians OR cars.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 3:35 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
When I say this building is too tall, I'm certainly not advocating the construction of suburban-style single-family homes in the Market area! As we all know, to have a vibrant (and safe) community, you need high density, a lively streetscape with a good mix of street-level retail services, and a pedestrian friendly environment (ie., trees, wide sidewalks, sunlight, etc). The question is how best to achieve it? The CBD has none of these qualities, which is why Sparks Street is doomed to remain in its current sad state. Suburban high-rise developments may achieve high density but typically lack the other two requirements. Get the picture?

While we can probably live with 90 George Street, it sets a bad precedent for the Market's southern boundary. Really, who wants to be sipping a cocktail at a patio with apartments towering high above you? All one has to do is visit practically any European city to see how to make a city liveable, vibrant, and grand all at the same time. Ottawa has a long way to go to achieve any of these goals, and if anyone thinks building high-rise towers willy-nilly is a way to a better city, they're sadly mistaken.
Granted, the Europeans know a thing or two about making cities livable, but if you look to other places with skyscrapers such as New York or Tokyo, Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, etc., you can see that you can still have a pleasant and livable city with skyscrapers all around you.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 4:30 PM

I agree that the Byward Market is no place for towering condos, but the edge of the Market is just the place. Not only is it nice to be able to live near the amenities that the area offers (i.e. shopping, restaurants, farmer's market), but having thousands of new residents in the periphery of the market will only benefit those that do business there. We definately need more density within the market and that can be achieved with 3-4 storey buildings as mentioned earlier, but to deny densification in such a key location in the core is truly a sin and only perpetuates suburban sprawl. As long as the towers meet certain criteria for street-level integration, setbacks, and ground-level retail/services I am all for such developments.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
I have done all of those, and I say that we need more skyscrapers, not less. Have you walked in this area, near 90 George? I do every morning. I can see that this building should be the first of many ones on Rideau St.

I'd rather be in La Defense sector in Paris, then some sinous crowed space in the core. Maybe that's why I don't like Québec City, no coherence. While the architecture is great and intense, it's not well designed for either pedestrians OR cars.
I guess there's no accounting for taste, although you are the first person I've encountered who doesn't like Quebec City. While it's not perfect, the Grand Allée with its strip of nice restaurants and interesting buildings is a treat. And Old Quebec isn't a designated World Heritage Site for nothing. To solve the cars vs. pedestrian battle in this sector, I think all (or at least some) of Old Quebec should be a pedestrian zone, as should all or part of Ottawa's Byward Market district. But that's another story...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 8:07 PM
Awesome!

Well they really need to add those buildings in order to restore order (or should I say clean-up) in that stretch of Rideau Street. Of course, the problem may shift elsewhere, but I guess they want to remove the problems away from the touristic zone.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 10:15 PM
Still optimistic

So your problem is with the design! (sorry then)

I find the building is coming along quite nicely and, once they add the exterior touches, should look very nice!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 3:45 PM

Rideau

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
I was thinking the same thing looking at the stretch from 90 George to Maverick's.

Has anyone heard any rumours of any of those sites being developed?

Any thoughts on chances for approval for another building that high on that stretch?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 6:54 PM

Is there any plan to finish the pitched roof element with metal sheeting or something or are we stuck with this skeletal unfinished look?

I can't detect any evidence of any work on the roof.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungodlycrosscheck View Post
Is there any plan to finish the pitched roof element with metal sheeting or something or are we stuck with this skeletal unfinished look?

I can't detect any evidence of any work on the roof.
The renderings show something draped over that skeleton, though I can't make out what it is. My guess would be some kind of mesh. It definately doesn't look like glass.

From www.90george.com

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 8:23 PM
Mooderator

Looks like it could be a solar panel.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post

I don't think Solar panels are see through? looks like mesh, It stands out a lot more than in the rendering right now so hopefully when they add whatever they will add it will look better.

Has anyone moved into this building yet? I noticed patio furniture and the like in the Claridge but haven't seen any activity at 90 Geroge yet.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 9:04 PM
Busy Beaver

I think it will be metal slats or louvre, something like this:

Last edited by Kitchissippi; Jun 9, 2008 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 2:04 AM

Someone on this board said that the A-Channel across the street complained that the building would block their antenna, so they added that metal grate to the roof to act as an antenna... Not sure if that rumour is true or not.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 4:05 AM

...and does anyone know if they're still planning to put up a Rolex clock on the facade?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Now that you brought the solar panel idea up, my question is why are condo developers (both high and lowrise) not installing solar panels on the roofs of their new buildings? Sure this requires some initial capital investment, but it reduces the building's reliance on the city's electrical grid which decreases hydro costs, it imrpoves sustainable living, its not an eyesore, plus the cost of solar panels is on a steady downward slope.

I know from my recent travels around Australia, Asia and Europe, that solar panels are being placed on the roofs of as many buildings as possible. Even subsidized housing apartment buildings have them in some places like Amsterdam (where it rains A LOT).

I think this is yet more proof of how far we are behind Europe and Asia in terms of technological advancement and sustainable living. One day, lets hope, our Fed. Gvt. will introduce some huge incentives for developers and building owners to add solar panels to their roofs so that it becomes economically viable for them to do so....Surely it won't happen with Bush's mini-me in power.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 8:14 PM
Mooderator

Here's the Market side (taken today by myself). Where exactly would this Rolex clock go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal
Has anyone moved into this building yet? I noticed patio furniture and the like in the Claridge but haven't seen any activity at 90 Geroge yet.
I didn't see anyone moved in yet.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I've been squatting on the 11th floor facing the market for the last 4 months, don't tell anyone.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 5:54 PM

Quote:
I think this is yet more proof of how far we are behind Europe and Asia in terms of technological advancement and sustainable living. One day, lets hope, our Fed. Gvt. will introduce some huge incentives for developers and building owners to add solar panels to their roofs so that it becomes economically viable for them to do so....Surely it won't happen with Bush's mini-me in power.
Ah gee-whiz, I can't let this go... Mini-me? Give me a break.

The federal government introduced production measures aimed at encouraging investment in renewable energy through programs, namely the $1.48 billion ecoEnergy for Renewable Power (ecoRP), which includes a suite of eligible energy sources including solar, biomass, wind, geothermal etc.

The ecoRP provides a market incentive of one cent per kilowatt-hour for up to 10 years to eligible low-impact, renewable electricity projects constructed over the next four years, April 1, 2007 to March 31, 2011. This is generally consistent with federal incentives in the US, although Congress is currently considering a more lucrative tax credit for renewables and low-impact non-renewables such as stationary fuel cells.

If the Harper Conservatives can be criticized it lies in how narrowly it defines eligible energy sources under the Eco Energy Program, by excluding low-impact alternatives which policymakers would expect would be a part of an integrated approach for transitioning away from a carcon based economy.

The Harper Conservatives also deserve credit for changes made to the Income Tax Act in Budget 2006, specifically section 43.1 which makes investments across a range of energy sources INCLUDING solar eligible for a capital cost allowance of 50 per cent.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 9:56 PM

^Congratulations on your 1000th post.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Here's the Market side (taken today by myself). Where exactly would this Rolex clock go?

I heard that they are delaying move-ins again, now they are looking at late in the year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa