HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Do you support the proposal?
Yes 26 66.67%
No 8 20.51%
sitting on the fence 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 7:52 PM

The biggest problem Reimer has is that this is really only an environmental issue for her - she want to get cars off the road on what are typically busy pedestrian streets like Commercial; hence why this isn't being announced as "Weekly street festivals" or "Community street-days". On the face of it, "No-car Sundays" doesn't really sound appealing to me.

She argues that retailers (who are most affected) benefit by seeing an increase in business of 80-85% - this based almost entirely on a survey of businesses during Commercial's existing annual car-free day, and some more flimsy data she's pulled from other cities. The problem is that an annual attraction is much different from a weekly event in generating interest.

She also claims to have support of various business improvement associations, but I suspect most retailers would only support the car-free idea if it were held in conjunction with some kind of public event to generate foot traffic, and probably less frequently than weekly, even if only during the summer.

Closing streets, blocking parking, and rerouting transit is not much of an incentive in itself to generate pedestrian traffic in these areas.

Now I agree if we could get some kick-ass events going in conjunction with the street closures, it would be hard to argue with this idea. But really, what are we expecting from the (No-fun) City of Vancouver?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 1:02 AM

a few points

a few points:

- This has happened for four years on Commercial Drive. Last year it was extended to Main Street and Denman. All were very successful and the bus routes seemed to be able to adjust just. fine.

- Some BIA are actually leading the call for these events. For example, the Pubjabi Market (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...e-sundays.html) and the South Granville one (which tried to stage a car-free day last year but was denied it by the city).

- Other cities are adopting the Sunday car-fee approach and have been quite successful.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 2:41 AM
BANNED

GO Gregor GO!!!

Awesome idea!!!! LOVE IT

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 5:04 PM

I will personally pull a Homer and deliberately drive my car through these circuses.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 5:15 PM

Sounds good. Wont really accomplish much, but at the very least im sure it will be a fun little street party. I'm for it.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I will personally pull a Homer and deliberately drive my car through these circuses.
crazy...

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
You'll have to drive over me cause I'll be hanging out in the middle of the street.

I'm thrilled at the prospect of some vibrant street life (without cars).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 8:44 PM

there was a letter in the 24 hours about this idea

someone who lives near denman complained that ok they got rid of the cars but he had to put up with blaring music and noise - which was much louder than the car noise

so he and his family ended up having to get in their car and leave the area to get some peace and quiet

he supports the car free day but would like it done without blaring thumping music all day - just have a quiet car free event

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 9:19 PM

So he wants a boring non-event car free day?.....Lame. I would love for there to be more festivals in the Metrotown area, but we dont really have any good streets for it (close down Kingsway and i am sure there will be traffic and transit chaos!)

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 9:35 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The BIAs like the idea of car-free festivals, but I'm willing to bet they aren't in support of closing the streets for every sunday for three months. There is clearly a marked increase in sales during festivals as there is a large increase in the amount of people in the area. By the sounds of it this is something different, you aren't going to be able to hold successful events every weekend for months in mutliple areas all at the same time. I predict you will have the retail sector voice discontent on this.

The city should be working on additional events like the Jazz festival and not this.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 9:44 PM

Yeah i agree with that, but what they could do on the car free sundays (on one or two streets max) is open markets, like the night market.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Now I agree if we could get some kick-ass events going in conjunction with the street closures, it would be hard to argue with this idea. But really, what are we expecting from the (No-fun) City of Vancouver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa
The city should be working on additional events like the Jazz festival and not this.
Agree 100%. Get the festivals/events/street parties going on first, then think about closing the streets for them. This is the wrong way to do things.

I'm a BC Lions season ticket holder. I don't get to the street parties every time, but they are always busy and there's stuff going on, people having fun.

As I re-read the article, it borders on the ridiculous. It's like she thinks the lack of cars brings a festival or event.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure