HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 10:38 PM
self-important urbanista

federal budget update

It appears the deal just reached to keep the federal government operating through October will maintain current levels of federal transit funding. That's probably good news for the Tempe Streetcar and the South Central light rail line. Nevertheless, the budget proposal for next fiscal year, which begins in October, still calls for no new transit investment by the federal government, so there's still uncertainty over the viability of projects not as far along in the pipeline.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It appears the deal just reached to keep the federal government operating through October will maintain current levels of federal transit funding. That's probably good news for the Tempe Streetcar and the South Central light rail line. Nevertheless, the budget proposal for next fiscal year, which begins in October, still calls for no new transit investment by the federal government, so there's still uncertainty over the viability of projects not as far along in the pipeline.
And to add to this--Tempe Street Car was part of the FY 2017 budget (which was just funded) and I believe Tempe has been working toward having a final Grant Agreement in place this year. That would mean they could be fully funded and ready to go with this spending bill.

South Central on the other hand is not in the FY 2017 budget, but has been working with FTA to get a Grant Agreement in FY 2018. If the powers that be take a hard line approach on transportation funding in the FY 2018 budget negotiations next fall, it could imperil the South Central line.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 11:03 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
And to add to this--Tempe Street Car was part of the FY 2017 budget (which was just funded) and I believe Tempe has been working toward having a final Grant Agreement in place this year. That would mean they could be fully funded and ready to go with this spending bill.

South Central on the other hand is not in the FY 2017 budget, but has been working with DOT to get a Grant Agreement in FY 2018. If the powers that be take a hard line approach on transportation funding in the FY 2018 budget negotiations next fall, it could imperil the South Central line.
That makes sense. I think South Central is the stronger project, but it's less certain due to timing.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 6:55 PM
self-important urbanista

More Details on Transit Funding

An overview of the budget situation. Federal transit funds were left intact for the remainder of FY2017 but still in play for FY2018:

http://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/05/0...nding-for-now/

A specific mention of the Tempe Streetcar as now likely to receive federal funds:

https://twitter.com/yfreemark/status...060354/photo/1

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Of these, only Montreal, Monterrey, Germany, and Tokyo are realistic possibilities in the next several years.
Air Canada launching Montreal flights to Phoenix:

Quote:
Air Canada will launch seasonal flights between Montreal and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

The flights will start next February and run until May. They will operate three days a week.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...o-phoenix.html

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 11:05 PM

Tempe Street Car funding official, construction stats next month.

https://ktar.com/story/1564951/tempe...et-car-system/

Last edited by muertecaza; May 9, 2017 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 11:08 PM

Has anyone here signed up to participate in the Waymo self driving car program? Anyone know anyone that is participating? Interested to hear how it goes.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/lif...049d77c47.html

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 8:12 PM

Grid bikes debuted in Tempe today.

https://twitter.com/Tempegov/status/864117607699365888

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:52 PM

I signed up, but never heard back. Guess I didn't fit what they're looking for.

Quote:
Has anyone here signed up to participate in the Waymo self driving car program? Anyone know anyone that is participating? Interested to hear how it goes.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/lif...049d77c47.html

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:45 PM

So I was just trying to find some renderings of skytrain phase 2 and stumbled on this:

Anyone know if this is the actual alignment?? And If so do we have any idea what "future Terminal" is going to be? A replacement for 2? Possibly an international terminal? Or just space for the possibility in future decades?

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:51 PM

They have been discussing a main "West Terminal" for years to replace Terminal 2.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
They have been discussing a main "West Terminal" for years to replace Terminal 2.
So is that just long term pie in the sky talk like the Commuter rail in the 2030's or is it in the works? ...if you know!

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:50 PM

The existing T2 will be demoed after the T3 renovations are complete in the early 2020s. The new "West Side Terminal" is a long term planning item if flights/passengers per day exceed a certain limit.

The skytrain extension was approved last October by the city council along with a T4 concourse S-1 expansion. I found a sky train video with a flyover rendering of the proposed route here:

https://youtu.be/NMl7vJRwick

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:55 PM

Not sure it's justifiable of passenger traffic continues to decline.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusloop99 View Post
The existing T2 will be demoed after the T3 renovations are complete in the early 2020s. The new "West Side Terminal" is a long term planning item if flights/passengers per day exceed a certain limit.

The skytrain extension was approved last October by the city council along with a T4 concourse S-1 expansion. I found a sky train video with a flyover rendering of the proposed route here:

https://youtu.be/NMl7vJRwick
Interesting choice to take the train below grade instead of going above like on the east side.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Not sure it's justifiable of passenger traffic continues to decline.
Thats why its a long term item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Interesting choice to take the train below grade instead of going above like on the east side.
I think there were logistical challenges on the east side when it was built that led to that decision. Plus its a cool showpiece.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusloop99 View Post
Thats why its a long term item.

Thanks for the explanation.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
So I was just trying to find some renderings of skytrain phase 2 and stumbled on this:

Anyone know if this is the actual alignment?? And If so do we have any idea what "future Terminal" is going to be? A replacement for 2? Possibly an international terminal? Or just space for the possibility in future decades?
Yes, it will be replacement the T2. After they closed the T2 and to be demolished it. You will see new West Terminal. Yes, you will see more foreign airlines to come into Sky Harbor. Who knows?

Quote:
Yes, they has already discussed a years ago and nothing news yet. Move along.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 6:18 PM

For those interested in bicycle infrastructure, Phoenix's preliminary Capital Improvement Program for 2017-18, which will be submitted with the City budget this summer, includes funding for some exciting projects, including:
  • Funding construction of the last stretch of the Rio Salado bike path (32nd St. to the 143), creating a continuous path from Dobson in Mesa, to downtown Phoenix
  • Funding construction of the Grand Canalscape path, completing phases 2 for a complete path from I-17 on the west side to Priest on the east (where I assume it would meet up with the very pretty path in the Grand at Papago development)
  • Millions of additional dollars in street improvements to include new bike lanes. Apparently they put in 55 miles of new bike lanes in 2016-17. The sell was about 1000 miles of new lanes funded by Transportation 2050, so they seem to be on pace for that.

As much as new light rail lines are the sexy part of the Transportation 2050 funding, I feel like projects like these are just as important.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 6:36 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
For those interested in bicycle infrastructure, Phoenix's preliminary Capital Improvement Program for 2017-18, which will be submitted with the City budget this summer, includes funding for some exciting projects, including:
  • Funding construction of the last stretch of the Rio Salado bike path (32nd St. to the 143), creating a continuous path from Dobson in Mesa, to downtown Phoenix
  • Funding construction of the Grand Canalscape path, completing phases 2 for a complete path from I-17 on the west side to Priest on the east (where I assume it would meet up with the very pretty path in the Grand at Papago development)
  • Millions of additional dollars in street improvements to include new bike lanes. Apparently they put in 55 miles of new bike lanes in 2016-17. The sell was about 1000 miles of new lanes funded by Transportation 2050, so they seem to be on pace for that.

As much as new light rail lines are the sexy part of the Transportation 2050 funding, I feel like projects like these are just as important.
Good news, and I agree that bicycle infrastructure is as important as rail and bus. I hope the Third Street, Third / Fifth avenues, and west Roosevelt projects are ready to move forward soon. I've gone to charettes about them and have been excited about the prospects but haven't seen any work done yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest