HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 8:16 PM
Closed account

woohoo! I'm getting a detailed, inside look at the plans for this site done up by the city in the next week or so.
I'll try to get some more renderings and more specific info - hotel names, sq footage etc....

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 10:29 PM

I suspect you'll find the renderings vague and lacking in such details. The renderings released to the media are diappointingly vague and look more like stock drawings, seeing as the area surrounding the complex in the drawings doesn't even come close to matching up with existing structures surrounding the proposed site. However, do share whatever you can with us all once you have seen them, We all would love to hear more about this development.

You may be subject to a confidentiality agreement though, particularly if possible tenants/partners haven't firmed up their agreements with the development team.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 10:36 PM

Can't wait to see more info on this as is it might currently be my favourite project downtown and personally think it is the best option for this site.

Lets hope the school board makes the right decision and chooses to share the land with these others.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 11:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

The rendering is a concept well higher than that, basically got the floors right, the location right and square foot. Think back with the CANMET concept plan and now with the recent rendering, it's basically the same just it's more detailed.

Try not to tell too much, like name of Hotel and possible office tenant. I know one office tenant interested but I'm not telling as it could create excitement and then possibly a disappointment in the future. Happens all too often.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 11:34 PM
Closed account

it's ok, we're all used to disappointment.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 3:12 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
it's ok, we're all used to disappointment.

no kidding...I don't expect this project to get built at all. Still, I'll talk about it while it's "alive".

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 4:14 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
^^ I still don't get why we're building so many new hotels when we've got a gorgeous old one sitting empty??
I mean, I understand the need for Hotel Space in this city... it was a problem well before the Connaught closed. But I mean there are SO MANY proposals for brand-new, several-hundred room hotels to be built new when there is a perfectly fine building dying to be returned to it's former glory!
Maybe LIUNA should go to the same bankers who are underwriting all these hotels. I thought they could find financial backing?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 4:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Maybe LIUNA should go to the same bankers who are underwriting all these hotels. I thought they could find financial backing?
I thought they were a (positive) part of our community. I guess we're both wrong, realcity! haha

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 11:32 PM
Closed account

I saw the renderings/plans for family medice centre. Wow!
Realcity, you would love it. Tons of modern glass, colours etc....more like a Vancouver/Seattle proposal than Hamilton.
Still in concept stage, but so far, so good.
continuous streetwall from the AGH on Main right around to the AGH on King.
Beautiful glass box structure facing Bay acting as an entrance to the courtyard garden.
A rooftop restaurant/lounge in the 15 storey building.
A 15 storey building facing King with a 13-14 storey building facing Main.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 2:55 AM
Hammer'd

That really sounds too good to be true. Lets all hope it isn't though.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 3:17 PM

That stretch of king will be a very dense office district and really give a big city feel. West end of downtown: concrete and glass. Middle: great public square in Gore park. East end of downtown: village feel.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 8:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
woohoo! I'm getting a detailed, inside look at the plans for this site done up by the city in the next week or so.
I'll try to get some more renderings and more specific info - hotel names, sq footage etc....
And where's the renderings mister?!

I've seen them but I would like to see them again, again, again and again lol

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 8:29 PM
Closed account

sorry...couldn't take any copies! They looked great though. WAY better than that crappy black/white version the Spec had. More detail and colour.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:46 AM
It's Hammer Time

Board narrows education centre options

January 28, 2008
BY ROB FAULKNER

Hamilton’s public school board voted last night to drop renovation as an option for its downtown Education Centre at Main and Bay.

The board, faced with scattered administrators in aging buildings, asked staff to present business plans for just two options at an April meeting.

Option one has lasted throughout the entire discussion of what to do with the headquarters and six other sites that house non-teaching staff.

It’s a $33-million plan to take the board out of the core and see it build a new headquarters for 600 or so administrative staff on the Jerome site, a treed plot the board owns southwest of the Linc and Upper Wellington

Option two is one that only surfaced this month, as City of Hamilton staff proposed an Education Square redevelopment of the entire block where the board now sits.

It would include a McMaster University family medicine centre, City of Hamilton public health offices, two private hotels and the board

The city has not yet presented the board with a business plan, so its cost is unclear.

A board staff report tabled Monday night stated that “retaining and renovating the current building is not a cost-effective option” despite its popularity with delegates at a recent meeting for public input and some trustees.

Staff say renovation could cost $65 million.

Trustees Ray Mulholland and Lillian Orban both opposed the motion, which didn’t preserve the ivory-hued landmark architect Joe Singer built in 1967.

Trustee Karen Turkstra abstained.

Daryl Sage, manager of planning and accommodation, said staff weigh three questions to narrow options: capital costs, operational efficiencies and long-term costs.

After 11 months of work on the issue, trustees had few questions.

Orban asked about the cost and agricultural zoning of the Jerome option.

Staff said the building would cost $22 million, with $11 million for extras like site work, taxes and design; and rezoning should not be a problem.

Turkstra asked if building a big training space is worthwhile instead of renting.

Minutes later board chair Judith Bishop asked to move in camera.

Bishop told media it dealt with contracts in the joint Mac campus, not private talk about touchy public matters.

“You should see this as an indication of our seriousness,” she said.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:05 AM

Board of Education building R.I.P.

They better go for the city's downtown option...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 11:56 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Board of Education building R.I.P.

They better go for the city's downtown option...
ask if I'm surprised? Do demolishers have a crazy amount of Lobbyists at City Hall or what??

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 12:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Staff said the building would cost $22 million, with $11 million for extras like site work, taxes and design; and rezoning should not be a problem.
Assumed wrong....if they don't go along with the downtown plan you can guarantee super slow progress at City Hall for approval, if any approval.

But anyways McMaster can now move forward with planning a medicine centre at the School board site. We're probably looking at a demo late this year or early next year. Needs to be constructed and completed by 2010.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 2:29 PM

I am very disappointed in McMaster if this is the case. They are proceeding with a demolition of a building of architectural significance without even exploring the possibility of incorporating it into the entire site plans. This new, indifferent attiude towards existing architecture does not bode well for on-campus buildings like University Hall, Edwards Hall, Mills Library and Wentworth Hall.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:02 PM

Honestly they'd be stupid not to build downtown.

Tonnes of money from the city, Mac, and the Hotel companies for land the school board owns plus they'll have 6 sites plus the Jerome Mega-Site to sell off for development. The plan could probably pay for itself.

I'm sad to see the education building go, but if the new downtown centre is built I will consider it a worthy replacement.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:21 PM
Closed account

they should sell off the Jerome land for homes...that's all that's out there. they could make a bundle and help pay to stay downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton